Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

computer parts posted:

Which I guess is still better than Star Wars inspiring a bunch of people to march around like fascists in white armor.

As an American I am genuinely offended when 9/11 is compared to the original Star Wars, because it implies that my country was, in 2001, run by an evil Dark Side master and his apprentice.

Oh, wait. Never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Apollodorus posted:

As an American I am genuinely offended when 9/11 is compared to the original Star Wars, because it implies that my country was, in 2001, run by an evil Dark Side master and his apprentice.

Oh, wait. Never mind.

The comparison is backwards though, if anything Cheney was the Emperor figure and Dubya was Darth Retarded

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Darth Ithead

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

WarLocke posted:

The comparison is backwards though, if anything Cheney was the Emperor figure and Dubya was Darth Retarded

Yeah that's what I said, did you read my post? :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Apollodorus posted:

Oh, wait. Never mind.

The "Lucas made Palpatine into Bush" theory makes sense until you realize how little of the PT was made post-9/11.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

computer parts posted:

The "Lucas made Palpatine into Bush" theory makes sense until you realize how little of the PT was made post-9/11.

The PT is not canon for me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blu-ray's been announced. Anyone know if paramount movies are available for digital distribution on any stores that don't DRM?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

MikeJF posted:

Blu-ray's been announced. Anyone know if paramount movies are available for digital distribution on any stores that don't DRM?

They're owned by Viacom. I seriously doubt that would ever happen. At the same point, does anyone even offer non-DRM'd movies legally? I googled "movies without DRM" out of curiosity and it's just articles talking about burning your own BRDs from like 3 years ago. I looked at a page by Defective By Design showing places to get DRM-free video and the only 'normal' storefront listed there is GOG, and the movies there are exactly the types of movies you'd expect to see on GOG.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MikeJF posted:

Funniest post in CD all year.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

cargohills posted:

there's literally no difference, apart from maybe spending 5 more minutes talking about space engines. (also doctor who does technobabble too and it's also crap there)

It feels different. That five minutes is important.

It's like in a shop. If a sales person tells you that they're going to talk to their manager to get you a special deal it somehow feels better than if they just give you that same deal. It's absolutely 100% identical but the journey there was different.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Taear posted:

It feels different. That five minutes is important.

It's like in a shop. If a sales person tells you that they're going to talk to their manager to get you a special deal it somehow feels better than if they just give you that same deal. It's absolutely 100% identical but the journey there was different.

100% yes.

In Doctor Who, the old white man has special powers that fix everything. In Star Trek the multi-racial, multi-ethnic crew work together and use their knowledge and skill to fix things, and we the viewer are meant to understand that if we work hard enough we too can come up with the solutions to our own real-world problems.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Apollodorus posted:

100% yes.

In Doctor Who, the old white man has special powers that fix everything. In Star Trek the multi-racial, multi-ethnic crew work together and use their knowledge and skill to fix things, and we the viewer are meant to understand that if we work hard enough we too can come up with the solutions to our own real-world problems.

Oh come on, other than the racist depiction of Worf, the TNG crew is about as white bread as you can get.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

SimonCat posted:

Oh come on, other than the racist depiction of Worf, the TNG crew is about as white bread as you can get.

Yeah I admit that's problematic, though I think it's a separate issue. And honestly I also think it explains why some of the less...self-aware Trek fans don't like DS9, where Sisko doesn't let you forget that he's black.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Apollodorus posted:

100% yes.

have you ever actually watched Doctor Who?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yes.

The answer is yes.

I stopped when I figured out the pattern.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

cargohills posted:

have you ever actually watched Doctor Who?

Many people are turned off by "Time Lord" which has very classist connotations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Apollodorus posted:

Yes.

The answer is yes.

I stopped when I figured out the pattern.

truly every star trek episode is unique whereas all other to shows are nothing in comparison

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Apollodorus posted:

In Star Trek the multi-racial, multi-ethnic crew work together and use their knowledge and skill to fix things

This happens in Star Trek Beyond.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

LesterGroans posted:

This happens in Star Trek Beyond.

In which the goofy technobabble solution that started this discussion appears.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Apollodorus posted:

In which the goofy technobabble solution that started this discussion appears.

I thought you were agreeing with the Beyond/Who comparison.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I thought I was, it was late at night.

Seriously though I just got tired of Doctor Who, especially the big multi-episode story arcs where they overacted the poo poo out of everything. I wanted more Doctor & Co. visit historical figures and keep them from getting eaten by werewolves or w/e, not another grand sweeping narrative in which The Doctor's final destiny will be revealed and we also introduce more and more insufferable catchphrases like "yadda yadda yadda A Good Man Goes To War" etc.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sounds like you need to watch the classic show then.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Sounds like you need to watch the classic show then.

Yeah it sounds like that to me too.

Then I could really piss off Doctor Who fans by talking about all the episodes they've never actually seen because they've only watched the 11th Doctor series.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mostly they'll just give you a blank look, it's not actually that fun unfortunately.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

computer parts posted:

Lucas didn't finish writing the Episode 3 script until the sets were done. This is in the making of. He said something to the effect of "I still have to finish the final draft!" and everyone laughs. Which is fine, this isn't a slight against Lucas, but the guy did write and make at least episode 3 after 2001.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 5, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

Lucas didn't finish writing the Episode 3 script until the sets were done. This is in the making of. He said something to the effect of "I still have to finish the final draft!" and everyone laughs. Which is fine, this isn't a slight against Lucas, but the guy did write and make at least episode 3 after 2001.

Yeah but the first two were shot and mostly done before Bush even got elected and that's where the "false flag terrorist activity" stuff is most prevalent.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There are some more obvious Bush/WoT/etc. parallels in Ep. III- "If you're not with my, then you're my enemy" / "You're starting to sound like a Separatist" / etc., but by that point a lot of where the story had to go was already set up.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

it should've been this song that they pumped out to blowup the spaceships
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfCpDQKHcUw

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The way shields worked in star trek kind of bugs me. The only time they seemed like an actual ablative defense was in nemesis where the enterprise actually had to change its facing through the battle to avoid letting damage get through. In nearly all other situations a shielded ship is invulnerable outside of various trek gimmicks to bypass it (in generations both the enterprise and Klingon ship use various methods to bypass each other shields. That was also one of the few times I remember weapons being ineffective vs a shielded ship when the enterprise shoots its phaser but it can't get through the Klingons shields.

And I assume they must be such a power drain that ships only raise them in imminent danger.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Actually shields work by absorbing the energy from an attack and channeling it into the pattern buffer, where it's transported (in the form of rocks) into random bridge terminals.

fake edit: This is why Picard/Riker/Troi don't have any sort of consoles in front of their la-z-boys.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

You bring up a good point though. What's to stop them from just beaming torpedoes right on top of the enemy ship hull.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jose Oquendo posted:

You bring up a good point though. What's to stop them from just beaming torpedoes right on top of the enemy ship hull.

Well I know transporters can't beam through shields.

I wonder if there were just 200 years of deflector shields dictating the arms race. It was even an issue in the Kobayashi Maru scenario ; the Klingon ships were shielded and everyone looked at Kirk like he was a retard for trying to fire torpedoes at shielded ships.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I guess what I mean is do objects keep any sort of momentum when being transported? So you could beam it in a way that it continues moving forward but hits the enemy instead? Or just beam it next to their ship so it becomes a mine instead.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Because if you could do this there'd be no tension because as soon as hostilities started each ship would beam the crew off the other ship and into space.

Or just beam out a chunk of the warp engine and watch the explosion.

Shields block transporters because transporters are horrifying if you actually think about them.

Relevant Click

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Shields block transporters because transporters are horrifying if you actually think about them.

Relevant Click

This gets brought up a lot, but no, transporters are fine. They transport people, continuity of consciousness in tact, from place to place. How do we know? Because everyone in this society that created them, that has scientific understanding far greater than ours, presumably including how consciousness works, is basically fine with them.

Even the people that fear them fear the potential accidents, not a routine and expected destruction of their consciousness and replacement by a clone.

It's not even hard to technobabble a solution that's reasonably consistent with known science: quantum teleportation is a known phenomenon, and is (in principle) guaranteed to produce something on the other end indistinguishable from the original, and unavoidably destroys the original. Just say that continuity of consciousness does indeed follow through quantum teleportation, and the objections in that video don't work. This could be how the Heisenberg Compensators work; they use quantum teleportation to send information that ordinary measurement couldn't reach.

In the case of Thomas Riker, while as I understand it it isn't possible to 100% accurately quantum transport information from one original into two duplicates, I think it is possible to get partial accuracy at two different destinations using weak measurement. What effects that would have on continuity of consciousness can only be imagined at this point.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Also transporters are the reason the Enterprise has no bathrooms.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WarLocke posted:

Also transporters are the reason the Enterprise has no bathrooms.

Until Checkov had his guts beamed into space.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

eth0.n posted:

This gets brought up a lot, but no, transporters are fine. They transport people, continuity of consciousness in tact, from place to place. How do we know? Because everyone in this society that created them, that has scientific understanding far greater than ours, presumably including how consciousness works, is basically fine with them.

Even the people that fear them fear the potential accidents, not a routine and expected destruction of their consciousness and replacement by a clone.

It's not even hard to technobabble a solution that's reasonably consistent with known science: quantum teleportation is a known phenomenon, and is (in principle) guaranteed to produce something on the other end indistinguishable from the original, and unavoidably destroys the original. Just say that continuity of consciousness does indeed follow through quantum teleportation, and the objections in that video don't work. This could be how the Heisenberg Compensators work; they use quantum teleportation to send information that ordinary measurement couldn't reach.

In the case of Thomas Riker, while as I understand it it isn't possible to 100% accurately quantum transport information from one original into two duplicates, I think it is possible to get partial accuracy at two different destinations using weak measurement. What effects that would have on continuity of consciousness can only be imagined at this point.

I like your optimism.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

WarLocke posted:

Relevant Click

No one who makes this argument has ever seen the episode where Barclay fights worm monsters in the Transporter because that episode showed you remain conscious and intact when transporting, you just hang out in some limbo and can even get trapped there by the aforementioned worm monsters, Wait, that actually makes Transporters even more horrifying honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the future there's no real meat but is there real cheese?

• Locked thread