Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Who else finds it absolutely hysterical that WWE may have torpedoed their own PPV with the Bryan stuff? Which has to be in part based on the way they've built Smackdown around him more than the freakin' champion. If I didn't follow the behind-the-scenes and dirtsheets, I would think he was wrestling.

In Philly too. And the Women's Rumble sadly probably getting the brunt of it - during dead spots in Women's matches and for no loving reason sometimes WWE fans tend to chant for CM Punk. Here they will probably chant for Daniel Bryan. Which sucks for the women involved and the acceptance of Women's Wrestling in general.

In any other sport or entertainment it is an easily dealt with expectation management issue. But this is Pro Wrestling and saying that someone won't compete is usually the carny wink that they will.

So yeah it is a huge mess.

As of Thursday Daniel Bryan wasn't cleared. I KNOW that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So Nakamura has to be winning the Rumble, right? Because if they put Roman over in that situation, he may actually get garbage thrown at him. (Though if the Philly crowd really wants to get Vince/Steph/Hunter's goat, they should chant for Omega or Naito)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 20, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

So Nakamura has to be winning the Rumble, right? Because if they put Roman over in that situation, he may actually get garbage thrown at him. (Though if the Philly crowd really wants to get Vince/Steph/Hunter's goat, they should chant for Omega or Naito)

Heh look at this chump who thinks Naito isn't attacking Jericho on Monday and declaring for the Rumble. :smug:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

Heh look at this chump who thinks Naito isn't attacking Jericho on Monday and declaring for the Rumble. :smug:

Tranquilo, assenayo, can't ruin the surprise.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

VJeff posted:

Even if this were to happen Naito would get tossed from the Rumble the minute Roman hit the ring

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, this is fantasy booking, but Naito coming back to New Japan with a WWE title and claiming it's more important and meaningful than the IWGP would be a pretty great move for his character.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Him winning the Universal title and slowly destroying it would also be the proper fate for that belt

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Naito beating Lesnar and then smashing that stupid loving fruit roll up belt is the stuff dreams are made of.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

if we haven't been building up to Styles v Nakamura at WM since day zero of them both getting signed then I have no clue what this is all leading up to

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually really want an Elite or LIJ chant at the Rumble now, if only to see how Vince screams at Cole to explain it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I want to hear a chant of a bunch of cuss words. At least 11 or 12 cuss words.

Does anyone know some spoilers about the Royal rumble. looking for the match length of the following matches:

- 2018 Men's Royal Rumble match
- Brock Lesnar (c) (with Paul Heyman) vs. Braun Strowman vs. Kane
- 2018 Women's Royal Rumble match
- AJ Styles (c) vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn
- Seth Rollins and Jason Jordan (c) vs. Cesaro and Sheamus
- The Usos (Jey and Jimmy Uso) (c) vs. Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin
- Enzo Amore (c) vs. Cedric Alexander

And how long will the show be from The beginning of the intro to the actual show and the camera fadeing to black.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe the show will last approximately 27 hours, 14 minutes and 38 seconds.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sure, I'll go ahead and humor Cavauro. I'll account for video packages, entrances, wrestling, and post-match stuff, so assume there's more than just bell-to-bell going on in my times below.

Men's Rumble: 1 hour, 20 minutes (WWE has a bad habit of bloated main events lately, and I don't expect that trend to end here)
Women's Rumble: 1 hour (strong chance this opens the show)
Brock/Braun/Kane: 25 minutes (Brock and Kane ain't going any longer than they have to)
AJ/KO/Sami: 30 minutes (gotta give time for all the Shane/Bryan bullshit that will certainly be the real focus here)
Usos/Gable & Shelton: 20 minutes (2/3 falls gives this an excuse to go long, but I doubt they'll be asked to steal the show)

That's 3 hours, 35 minutes. Possibly enough time for another match in the 4-hour window, but I haven't factored in the inevitable time-wasting segments between matches and we got a 2-hour pre-show, so WWE goes full :effort: here.

PRE-SHOW

The Bar/Rollins & Jordan: 15 minutes
Enzo/Cedric: 10 minutes

Benne fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 21, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benne posted:

Sure, I'll go ahead and humor Cavauro. I'll account for video packages, entrances, wrestling, and post-match stuff, so assume there's more than just bell-to-bell going on in my times below.

Men's Rumble: 1 hour, 20 minutes (WWE has a bad habit of bloated main events lately, and I don't expect that trend to end here)
Brock/Braun/Kane: 25 minutes (Brock and Kane ain't going any longer than they have to)
AJ/KO/Sami: 30 minutes (gotta give time for all the Shane/Bryan bullshit that will certainly be the real focus here)
Usos/Gable & Shelton: 20 minutes (2/3 falls gives this an excuse to go long, but I doubt they'll be asked to steal the show)

That's 3 hours, 35 minutes. Possibly enough time for another match in the 4-hour window, but I haven't factored in the inevitable time-wasting segments between matches and we got a 2-hour pre-show, so WWE goes full :effort: here.

PRE-SHOW

So you're saying, after all the other video packages and time-wasting/back-patting bullshit... I'm dead on! :v:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

rovert posted:

In Philly too. And the Women's Rumble sadly probably getting the brunt of it - during dead spots in Women's matches and for no loving reason sometimes WWE fans tend to chant for CM Punk. Here they will probably chant for Daniel Bryan. Which sucks for the women involved and the acceptance of Women's Wrestling in general.

In any other sport or entertainment it is an easily dealt with expectation management issue. But this is Pro Wrestling and saying that someone won't compete is usually the carny wink that they will.

So yeah it is a huge mess.

As of Thursday Daniel Bryan wasn't cleared. I KNOW that much.

I'm just trying to concoct scenarios on how he could win the Rumble without being cleared. Best I've come up with is he comes out as #30 with two guys left in the ring, and they eliminate each other just as he's getting into the ring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cabbit posted:

I'm just trying to concoct scenarios on how he could win the Rumble without being cleared. Best I've come up with is he comes out as #30 with two guys left in the ring, and they eliminate each other just as he's getting into the ring.

They might allow him to throw a few chops/punches and a clothesline without clearing him fully, as long as he doesn't take any bumps. But that would be very, very unlikely, especially as I could see them being understandably worried about him 'forgetting' that caveat once he was in the ring.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Gaz-L posted:

They might allow him to throw a few chops/punches and a clothesline without clearing him fully, as long as he doesn't take any bumps. But that would be very, very unlikely, especially as I could see them being understandably worried about him 'forgetting' that caveat once he was in the ring.

He would absolutely forget that caveat the moment he steps in the ring.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Gaz-L posted:

Assuming Bryan doesn't get cleared, I feel like it has to be Nakamura or maybe Balor. Nak/AJ writes itself obviously, though I feel like WWE might swerve us since that's been sort of telegraphed at this point. Also wouldn't be shocked if they did Balor and have him move to Smackdown to do a proper title feud with AJ since their one off at TLC was so awesome.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 21, 2018

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I mean, if the AJ Styles' WWE title match is going to be the big smark/hipster match for the show, AJ/Balor wouldn't be a bad idea. Expect a promo alluding to them both being leaders of some sort of club while AJ says he was the one who could actually get the job done

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I mean, if the AJ Styles' WWE title match is going to be the big smark/hipster match for the show, AJ/Balor wouldn't be a bad idea. Expect a promo alluding to them both being leaders of some sort of club while AJ says he was the one who could actually get the job done

It would be a good feud, and it seems like they're heating up Balor right now.

Also by process of elimination I feel like Nak/Finn are the two most feasible options. Cena is getting Taker, they're priming us for Rollins/Jordan, they won't let Reigns get trash thrown at him, Miz is gonna carry the IC title into Mania, Ambrose is hurt, Randy won last year, Roode has the US title, Bray Wyatt is garbage, etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Raw guy that isn't Roman would be a nice mislead, before they shunted whoever it would be to Smackdown.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Braun/AJ sounds pretty cool.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

A Raw guy that isn't Roman would be a nice mislead, before they shunted whoever it would be to Smackdown.

Yeah, and Finn would be a great candidate to move to SD, he gets a little lost in the shuffle on Raw and would instantly be one of the top 3 guys on SD.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

VJeff posted:

Braun/AJ sounds pretty cool.

This would own

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Benne posted:

PRE-SHOW

This is distressing news. As this is a big event I am having a 7-hour viewing party and don't have anything else to look at

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Cavauro posted:

This is distressing news. As this is a big event I am having a 7-hour viewing party and don't have anything else to look at

Why not watch "the best of Roman Reigns" clips to get you fired up for the big WWE PPV show?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

It would be a good feud, and it seems like they're heating up Balor right now.

Also by process of elimination I feel like Nak/Finn are the two most feasible options. Cena is getting Taker, they're priming us for Rollins/Jordan, they won't let Reigns get trash thrown at him, Miz is gonna carry the IC title into Mania, Ambrose is hurt, Randy won last year, Roode has the US title, Bray Wyatt is garbage, etc.

dolph ziggler looms above like a specter of death, waiting to ruin everything like he always does

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cavauro posted:

Serve snacks and other light refreshment for the 45 minutes you'll have left.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cavauro posted:

Read posts from the GDT out loud. They will entertain for hours.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm going to put the wrestling posts up using a projector. please post well and often, this sunday. Not today

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Benne posted:

It pretty much has to. Putting two rumbles back to back would be absolute death, and you probably need all the other matches to create a suitable break.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Lmao 2 rumbles I'm glad I can't watch this live.

If WWE had balls they would put the women's on last.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Senerio posted:

He would absolutely forget that caveat the moment he steps in the ring.

This is Bryan. He'd enter the ring via climbing the turnbuckle from the outside and flying headbutting someone if he thought he could get away with it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Liquid Communism posted:

This is Bryan. He'd enter the ring via climbing the turnbuckle from the outside and flying headbutting someone if he thought it'd make the match the slightest bit better.

Fixed for accuracy.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Bryan would enter the ring by doing a flying headbutt onto exposed concrete and bouncing into the ring like Mario coming off a goomba, if he thought it'd make the match better. That's kind of the problem.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

Fixed for accuracy.

Yeah, this is a guy who had a screaming match with Hunter for stopping a match because they thought he was paralysed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's a lot of buzz about Raw tonight

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They just showed a commercial here for Fastlane and advertised John Cena for it so lol watch him win the Rumble

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

There's a lot of buzz about Raw tonight

whats the buzz? tell me whats a-happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Gaz-L posted:

whats the buzz? tell me whats a-happening?

It's an electric razor!