Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bischoff plays a great toadie and him having to play toadie for Jericho someone he has always buried is very funny on a meta level. Great choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Big Tone also did Easy E's podcast, so that's probably a sign of how AEW feel.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
BISCHOFF SOLD FOR THE ORANGE!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Lid posted:

Arzy was right is the funny thing

God drat it, he was.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gaz-L posted:

Big Tone also did Easy E's podcast, so that's probably a sign of how AEW feel.

which they crossposted to the AEW youtube channel

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I’m only ok with this if he comes out to Eric Bischoff, Karate Man

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

never mind lol

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
I thought it was a funny post

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

A Real Horse posted:

I’m only ok with this if he comes out to Eric Bischoff, Karate Man

I would like if he comes out acting like an airplane and treating Jericho like he's Hollywood Hogan.

As much as I hate Bischoff, if they turned the rest of the Inner Circle (minus Hager) on Jericho I'd love if that were just Jericho's new gimmick and Bischoff was his lackey.

Hager would be Vincent.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Eric Bischoff for Ralphus 2020

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Bischoff replacing Hager as Jericho's heater and taking out all his opponents with devastating shoot back leg front kicks

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Bischoff coming in to sell for Jericho 1-2 times is brilliant.

Bischoff coming in for a regular role would not be something I'm interested in.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I hope someone says "three minutes"

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I Before E posted:

I hope someone says "three minutes"

Lmfao but also :smith:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Hoping that Schiavone displays open contempt for Bischoff the entire segment.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Theres optics at play here - AEW had bucked the label of being The Next TNA by being good, by knowing what it was and not seemingly just a jettison point for WWE cast offs but for those of merit and who were cool. It was favourably compared to the glory time of WCW.

Now in back to back weeks we have Zack Ryder, the worse Funkadactyl who hasn't worked in four years, and Eric Bischoff. That screams head first towards TNA comparisons with merit. Whether it will work out or not is still to be decided but that its a self inflicted risk and with no clear great upside even if successful is a worry.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Lid posted:

Theres optics at play here - AEW had bucked the label of being The Next TNA by being good, by knowing what it was and not seemingly just a jettison point for WWE cast offs but for those of merit and who were cool. It was favourably compared to the glory time of WCW.

Now in back to back weeks we have Zack Ryder, the worse Funkadactyl who hasn't worked in four years, and Eric Bischoff. That screams head first towards TNA comparisons with merit. Whether it will work out or not is still to be decided but that its a self inflicted risk and with no clear great upside even if successful is a worry.

TNA would have been great if the booking made sense, hth.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The people who were going to regard AEW as "The Next TNA" just for using people who maybe, possibly were at some point in their career, working for the biggest wrestling company in the world are impossible to please and AEW shouldn't care about their opinions. The kind of people who would unironically compared AEW to TNA, Tony Khan to Dixie Carter, etc. etc. aren't the kind of people you're going to turn into AEW fans. They're just people who look for any reason to look down on anything that's not WWE.

And to go further, calling people "WWE Castoffs" is really dehumanizing and stupid in the first place and boils somebody down to the simple idea that their entire career is defined by the fact that they Weren't Good Enough To Make It In The Big Leagues. Matt Cardona got over on his own, spent the next nine years being punished for it, then got cut in the midst of a pandemic so Vince could save a few bucks. Calling him a castoff for that is just....frickin' mean.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lid posted:

I don't think "New TNA" is something AEW really has to concern themselves with. I mean, you're right. If TNA debuted Cameron there'd be a new round of "lolTNA" posts. But like that's just a thing TNA build up over time and nothing can really derail it now but also you don't just become it by debuting a couple of bad/mediocre retreads. AEW will have to work to become bad enough for lolAEW.

I mean, I think there's a separate conversation to be had for what talent AEW pushes and what they don't and like if maybe its not a great idea to put Mox over MJF or FTR as the next tag champs. But I don't think that's this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

The clear upside is you hire people for roles they are good at.

If TNA were good, no one would have cared that they signed WWE people. People loved Christian and didn't mind Team 3D at first. Gail Kim was a good pick up even though they didn't have a good role for her yet. They were logical signings. When they signed EVERYONE and put them over their own guys, it was stupid.

And after TNA has just signed a bunch of WWE cast offs you really don't risk looking bad for signing a couple.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lid posted:

"there's optics at play" is a phrase that here means "I have decided this looks bad"

Cameron sucks but isn't signed.
Cardona is fine and has mostly only looked bad because he's been booked bad.
The one thing Bischoff is good at is talking into a microphone. And he's not signed either.

If this is enough to cause TNA comparisons, you were looking for reasons to bail.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lamuella posted:

If this is enough to cause TNA comparisons, you were looking for reasons to bail.

I dont even know where to begin...

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://youtu.be/gYMrjQCO1Pw

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
One thing I will say is Tony Khan said at some point they're going to have to start cutting people they don't use.

Now is Matt Cardona going to bring in more money than the person you will eventually cut to to bring him in? No idea.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nyla's gonna murder Cameron after she loses their tag match and we'll never see her again and a whole lot of people would've wasted a whole lot of energy being Mad Online about Cameron.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i can't believe aew is giving bischoff the book

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i can't believe aew is giving bischoff the book

They're gonna make Arn sell for the bird now.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
And that book? You guessed it, a signed copy of The Death of WCW

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

There's a weird trend in AEW posting to immediately start catastrophizing about any underwhelming hire or disappointing finish, or even in this case a guy coming in for a one off guest spot. I get it if WWE, or life in general, has conditioned people to think that anything good is doomed, but Bischoff coming in for one night to play a role in one segment is not the second coming of Immortal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ryder's one thing but I don't think people are crazy to be wondering what the gently caress they're doing bringing in Cameron in 2020, even for a one off.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

agreed. thorny posting should be prohibited

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Strawberry Panda posted:

One thing I will say is Tony Khan said at some point they're going to have to start cutting people they don't use.

Now is Matt Cardona going to bring in more money than the person you will eventually cut to to bring him in? No idea.

the fact that he said the hopefully obvious thing about not being able to employ every single person forever doesn't mean that he's hiring people he's going to fire in a month

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Ryder's one thing but I don't think people are crazy to be wondering what the gently caress they're doing bringing in Cameron in 2020, even for a one off.

i legitimately think it's a make-up booking for Effy's Big Gay Brunch not happening

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Alaois posted:

i legitimately think it's a make-up booking for Effy's Big Gay Brunch not happening

This combined with the fact I was not watching wrestling when she had her WWE run plants me firmly in the “this will probably be fine” camp.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ariane is probably friends with Brandi from developmental and people are just making a mountain of a molehill.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I'm really assuming it's them getting a friend a paycheck because they've been doing that a bit.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Also she is probably there to be a jobber to take a pinfall and then probably get beaten up by Nyla.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Really the entire Dynamite made me depressed, between all of the WWE castoffs (Luchasaurus, Jericho, Hager, Ross, Tazz, Cody, Arn, the Revival, Matt Hardy, Ambrose, Kris Logan, Kenny Omega, Colt Cabana, Luke Harper, Dasha, Vickie, Cameron, Zack Ryder) and the TNA castoffs (Generation Me, Tazz, LAX, Diamante, Matt Hardy, Brian Cage, Tony Schiavone, Ricky Starks probably I didn't check) and to say nothing of the PWG and Lucha Underground castoffs littering the show, to bring in a AWA/WCW/TNA/Matrats castoff for a one-off like Bischoff just shows how all AEW is doing is recycling people who more successful companies rejected.

This is also why the Fast and Furious films started sucking after the first one, wasting all their time bringing in castoffs from WWE and Missy Elliott remixes and the Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. Pathetic.

Now if AEW brought in Missy Elliott or a computer that wore tennis shoes, I might give Dynamite another chance.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cameron being signed is very funny, so I'm very happy about it. There needs to be more funny hires. Hire like, idk, one of the Ascension but not the other. Sign Bull Dempsy. Have Damien Sandow wrestle Cody.