Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Pylons posted:

Ironman where a chickenshit heel gets one pin and then runs around the ring the whole rest of the time.

Heel hits opponent with chair, sacrificing a fall by DQ, but then is able to rack up multiple pinfalls on his now-incapacitated opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Answers Me posted:

Heel hits opponent with chair, sacrificing a fall by DQ, but then is able to rack up multiple pinfalls on his now-incapacitated opponent.

Brock did this in his match with Kurt. Any other strategy has seemed super dumb ever since, especially in the NXT 4 way since 4 ways are no dq

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

If an ironman's no DQ, it's perfect for the old KO style. Get one fall, roll out of the ring, and head to catering. Lock yourself in the shitter.

Just do everything in your power to avoid entertaining anyone.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fentry posted:

Brock did this in his match with Kurt. Any other strategy has seemed super dumb ever since, especially in the NXT 4 way since 4 ways are no dq

PAC sort of did this with Omega but only really landed one fall off the back of it

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Answers Me posted:

This literally happened in the Johnny Mundo/Prince Puma All Night Long match in LU.

Which is also one of the best Iron Man matches ever, partly because they told an actual story. Dastardly heel Johnny used the chair early on to rack up a bunch of cheap pins, so most of the match is built around valiant babyface Ricochet making a desperate comeback, which gets the crowd into an absolute frenzy*, and it's all crazy action and they aren't loving around in chinlocks trying to kill time like most Iron Man matches. It's well worth going out of your way to see.

*funny what happens when you actually book Ricochet well, he gets over and feels like the biggest star on the show. But what do I know

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Benne posted:

This literally happened in the Johnny Mundo/Prince Puma All Night Long match in LU.

Which is also one of the best Iron Man matches ever, partly because they told an actual story. Dastardly heel Johnny used the chair early on to rack up a bunch of cheap pins, so most of the match is built around valiant babyface Ricochet making a desperate comeback, which gets the crowd into an absolute frenzy*, and it's all crazy action and they aren't loving around in chinlocks trying to kill time like most Iron Man matches. It's well worth going out of your way to see.

*funny what happens when you actually book Ricochet well, he gets over and feels like the biggest star on the show. But what do I know

Wasn't there a section in that where Johnny just went and partied with the band to run down the clock?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Mundo actually used a (fake) crowbar, which made it look even more vicious than a chair since we're not really used to seeing that in wrestling

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the most recent use of that trope I remember was Gargano/Cole. I remember Gargano looking like a loving geek losing anyway

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Wasn't there a section in that where Johnny just went and partied with the band to run down the clock?

Yep. I miss the Worldwide Underground, they were such a bunch of dickbags.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I can't wait for DDT to parody it by having a 4-way Falls Count Anywhere 3 hour Ironman match where they pretend to scramble to have another show booked because all the wrestlers have left the arena and are chasing each other in cars to desolate locations and we occasionally cut back to them in a Forrest, riding a train, on top of a building, while the last pinfall takes place in the middle of the ring and it turns out there's a four-way tie and everyone just shrugs

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

There will be at least one flashback sequence, preferably with a second flashback sequence nested inside it

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

I can't wait for DDT to parody it by having a 4-way Falls Count Anywhere 3 hour Ironman match where they pretend to scramble to have another show booked because all the wrestlers have left the arena and are chasing each other in cars to desolate locations and we occasionally cut back to them in a Forrest, riding a train, on top of a building, while the last pinfall takes place in the middle of the ring and it turns out there's a four-way tie and everyone just shrugs

I want this desperately to happen. :allears:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Nut Bunnies posted:

They've only done like three 3SOH matches that I can think of. Vince probably forgot it existed.

Five matches.

Is this the worst gimmick match of them all? I honestly don't even remember any of these matches aside from the first one. The gimmicks seem kind of random. You know who will win the second match. Three of them also went 40 minutes, which is probably way too long for any match where you know it is not going to end until the third fall.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Possible leaked G1 lineup?

Kota Ibushi
EVIL
Jay White
Hiromu Takahashi
Shingo Takagi
Tomohiro Ishii
Hirooki Goto
Will Ospreay
Taichi
(X)

Tetsuya Naito
Kazuchika Okada
SANADA
Minoru Suzuki
KENTA
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Zack Sabre Jr
YOSHI-HASHI(I believe)
Toru Yano
Taiji Ishimori

Pylons fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 4, 2020

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Five matches.

Is this the worst gimmick match of them all? I honestly don't even remember any of these matches aside from the first one. The gimmicks seem kind of random. You know who will win the second match. Three of them also went 40 minutes, which is probably way too long for any match where you know it is not going to end until the third fall.

Going by star ratings:

Triple H vs. Austin: 4 3/4
Triple H vs. HBK: 2
Triple H vs. Orton: 2 3/4
Cena vs. Ryback: 3 1/4
Gargano vs. Cole: 4

The only ones I can remember were Triple H/Austin and Gargano/Cole, and I hated Gargano/Cole, so I think you're on to something. Though I think the strap match (the touch-the-corners variation) is a bad stip, at least in modern day.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I was at the Triple H vs HBK one and I do remember HBK doing and elbow drop off the ladder onto HHH through a table. Can't remember if HHH moved though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Astro7x posted:

I struggle to think of anything much worse than a blindfold match. Sure, it makes sense within the context of the story but wrestlers can't wrestler when they can't see, making it a dumb story to tell.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I struggle to think of anything much worse than a blindfold match. Sure, it makes sense within the context of the story but wrestlers can't wrestler when they can't see, making it a dumb story to tell.

Scaffold match as while a Blindfold match is boring scaffold is boring as nobody wants to take major bumps and also extremely dangerous as well

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Scaffold match as while a Blindfold match is boring scaffold is boring as nobody wants to take major bumps and also extremely dangerous as well

Yeah but at least New Jack tries to commit murder in that one scaffold match

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

A scaffold match hurt Jim Cornette to the point where I think he still has knee pain from it today.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rare Magic card l00k posted:

A scaffold match hurt Jim Cornette to the point where I think he still has knee pain from it today.

Okay, you've convinced me. Scaffold matches are good.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Liquid Communism posted:

If an ironman's no DQ, it's perfect for the old KO style. Get one fall, roll out of the ring, and head to catering. Lock yourself in the shitter.

Just do everything in your power to avoid entertaining anyone.

Sounds like Baron Corbin style.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CVagts posted:

Going by star ratings:

Triple H vs. Austin: 4 3/4
Triple H vs. HBK: 2
Triple H vs. Orton: 2 3/4
Cena vs. Ryback: 3 1/4
Gargano vs. Cole: 4

The only ones I can remember were Triple H/Austin and Gargano/Cole, and I hated Gargano/Cole, so I think you're on to something. Though I think the strap match (the touch-the-corners variation) is a bad stip, at least in modern day.

was HHH/HBK the one where it seemed like they'd made a bet backstage over who could blade quicker and/or deeper

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Still 7 months away obviously so it's by no means set in stone, but

Per Dave, WWE is currently considering either Drew/Brock (again) or Orton/Edge (again) for the WWE title match at Mania

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A singular lone voice carried on the wind chanting same old poo poo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chris James 2 posted:

Per Dave, WWE is currently considering either Drew/Brock (again) or Orton/Edge (again) for the WWE title match at Mania

And they say WWE can't do long term storytelling

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
WWE's storytelling can only be noticed via carbon dating.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
fun fact the first ever Edge and Randy Orton singles match occurred on the 10th of May 2004. SIXTEEN YEARS. That's longer than double than off the top of my head Hogan v Warrior.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lid posted:

fun fact the first ever Edge and Randy Orton singles match occurred on the 10th of May 2004. SIXTEEN YEARS. That's longer than double than off the top of my head Hogan v Warrior.

That's longer ago than the first ever match between Satoshi Kojima & Minoru Suzuki (2006 Champion Carnival) despite them both being in their 50s.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Randy Orton debuted on the main roster in April 2002. He's been a featured full-time member for 18 years and counting, and could very well be champion again in either 2020 or 2021.

Hulk Hogan won his first title in January 1984. In the years since then, we saw Hogan's peak run, Hogan becoming a washed-up joke, Hogan resurrecting his career in WCW, Hogan becoming a washed-up joke again, and Hogan having a nostalgia-fueled classic with Rock in 2002. That all happened over an 18-year span, Randy Orton's entire career length.

Nothing loving changes in this company anymore.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gonna be the most fitting modern WWE thing ever if Orton ends up breaking WWE's version of Flair's record

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

forkboy84 posted:

That's longer ago than the first ever match between Satoshi Kojima & Minoru Suzuki (2006 Champion Carnival) despite them both being in their 50s.

As its meant to be next years main event it will be 17 years, which is the same amount of time since the first ever singles match of Minoru Suzuki and Yuji Nagata.

Edit: look at this ancient card

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=15326

four hall of famers (should be five, put in Koji Kanemoto already) and none were in the main event

Lid fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 4, 2020

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If you’ve been watching Roman Reigns since his debut in The Shield you’ve been watching him for a longer time than the entire run of Nitro.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Gonna be the most fitting modern WWE thing ever if Orton ends up breaking WWE's version of Flair's record

He's only three away from 16!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I was strangely upset with Cena broke The Rock's record of 7 championship reigns (now 8 after that dumbfuck drop from CM Punk for twice in a lifetime) and I just checked and now it's been surpassed by Triple H and Orton too.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm so loving tired.

This is a company that employs some of the greatest wrestlers in the entire world, and they use them so badly that they can't even book a main event for their biggest show because nobody is worth anything.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Grem posted:

Sounds like Baron Corbin style.

Corbin does it because he can't manage to entertain anyone and has all the charisma of a 45 year old session bassist. KO was doing it as intentional heeling.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pylons posted:

Possible leaked G1 lineup?

Kota Ibushi
EVIL
Jay White
Hiromu Takahashi
Shingo Takagi
Tomohiro Ishii
Hirooki Goto
Will Ospreay
Taichi
(X)

Tetsuya Naito
Kazuchika Okada
SANADA
Minoru Suzuki
KENTA
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Zack Sabre Jr
YOSHI-HASHI(I believe)
Toru Yano
Taiji Ishimori

yoooooo Taiji Ishimori!? gently caress YES

Wonder who the X is?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

Wonder who the X is?

Is Daisuke Sekimoto booked in any of the other tournaments that are going on over the next month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Price Check posted:

Is Daisuke Sekimoto booked in any of the other tournaments that are going on over the next month?
You've given me unreasonable expectations