Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

sportsgenius86 posted:

The failures now (and of Reigns' push) are because of the success of John Cena.

I think the ability of the Rock and Cena to be able to get over despite the awful writing and booking has caused a lot of this. Just like how Bryan got over despite everything they did makes them think every babyface needs to be a beaten down underdog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
And John Cena for the longest time until arguably effective retirement post losing to Bryan was a fools errand to recatch The Rock in they wanted him to be the next Rock but it already had the diminishing returns leading to Beating The Odds Superman and where je was "controversial". He got aid by having later on tremendous foils in Edge, CM Punk and Bryan who all were a same but opposite that made the feuds great. Roman never even had that because for WWE Cena's foil was Randy loving Orton and it never felt that way because they were booked the same rather than as a contrast. They have no idea how a foil has to emerge organically. The Rock and Austin didnt really cross paths until deep onto Austin v McMahon.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I'd argue Braun was briefly a good foil to Roman, but that might be because he was the first guy that feuded with Roman who didn't look like a geek.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Do not even ask posted:

I'd argue Braun was briefly a good foil to Roman, but that might be because he was the first guy that feuded with Roman who didn't look like a geek.

MY RETURNS AREN'T DIMINISHED WITH YOU YET

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Djarum posted:

I think NXT is the other problem with the company. You have all this hot talent coming in and then being wasted for small shows in Florida. Their characters and stories are wasted there as well and when they get called up they lose everything they had.

A perfect example to think of is if Kurt Angle was hired today he would have spend 3-5 years in NXT "learning to work" and then put out lacklusterly on a episode of RAW. Think of what Kurt did in the first 5 years he was in the company, hell think of the first 2 years!

NXT being around is just a vanity project for Hunter to have his own indie promotion and for WWE to hoard talent from other companies. I can't think of a single real NXT success but a ton of failures all around and even more wasted potential and work.

While NXT has problems of its own (example: the lack of time to feature more talents), I do think that anyone who thinks we would see storylines along the lines of Gargano/Ciampa on the main roster is fooling themselves. I mean Vince regularly tosses out scripts right before showtime. Expecting continuity from the main roster on actual interesting storylines is very bold.

And there could have been plenty of NXT successes. But again, Vince fucks everything up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Do not even ask posted:

This is accurate, he even got over as a foil despite one year earlier being considered the worst wrestler out of the PC ever who could not work at all. Worse than even Lacey.

And of course because he got over they buried him just like Punk and Bryan... not so much Edge but Edge could never be the top guy he was just the best top heel so they didnt try to kill his heat, though he had ten title reigns and none lasted any length of time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
NXT is a godsend in an era where all of these people would have the exact same main roster debut without NXT.

Like how can you be made about getting Gargano/Ciampa in NXT when the alternative would have been never getting it

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Astro7x posted:

NXT is a godsend in an era where all of these people would have the exact same main roster debut without NXT.

Like how can you be made about getting Gargano/Ciampa in NXT when the alternative would have been never getting it

NXT is both a godsend and a crutch in that the main roster should be NXT. There's no real reason it shouldn't be. Like AJ Styles is one of the few NXT success stories... except that he skipped NXT entirely unlike everyone else. A lot of the guys in NXT have been ready for literally years, but they have to be sent there first. Whereas some who should be in developmental but fail there get pulled to the main roster anyway and then get pushed stronger and better. Like Corbin and the Drifter. Its loving bizarre.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the 'less bullshit', more focused appeal of nxt is actually what a lot of wrestling is and was without nxt. wwe has familiarized and ingratiated a chunk of its hardcore fanbase with this style of presentation and action, and made it abundantly clear that it's not available on the top tier shows. this could cost them dearly. perhaps it is right now.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Lid posted:

NXT is both a godsend and a crutch in that the main roster should be NXT. There's no real reason it shouldn't be. Like AJ Styles is one of the few NXT success stories... except that he skipped NXT entirely unlike everyone else. A lot of the guys in NXT have been ready for literally years, but they have to be sent there first. Whereas some who should be in developmental but fail there get pulled to the main roster anyway and then get pushed stronger and better. Like Corbin and the Drifter. Its loving bizarre.

The other bizarre thing is that the people in developmental don’t even get to work all the often. The idea should be for these people to get experience in the ring in front of audiences multiple times a week, preferably with good veteran workers who can teach them.

Back in the territory days a new guy would be working 5-6 times a week and would progress quickly. That is how guys would get good in such a short amount of time. The people in NXT are lucky if they get 2 matches a week. Many are lucky if they get 2 a month. Instead they are doing stupid “drills” and powerlifting. When they have matches they are choreographed and practiced. They are not taught how to call a match in the ring or how to improvise in the least.

This is why people who don’t come from the indies are so woefully unprepared when coming up to the main roster. They have effectively no real training or experience other than how to diet and powerlifting. From what I understand for the bigger names coming out of the indies having Shaun Michaels and others to be able to teach certain psychology and share experiences with them is helpful but I have not heard a single one ever say that the other training in the PC has been helpful in the least privately.

If it were me I would consider the whole NXT thing as developmental an utter failure. If they want to keep it as a third brand and give it the same level of promotion and prestige as RAW and Smackdown by all means.

They need to have people that they have under contract that have no training sent to actual independent promotions that they have relations with to work regularly. Get them seasoned without the publicity and pressure of WWE, much like OVW was once.

People that you are signing out of indies you can have debut on one of the three programs. Then you are not wasting years of someone’s career for nothing and wasting storyline and emotional investment for nothing. It doesn’t take years for someone to learn where a hard cam is. Furthermore they have 25 loving cameras on the ring at all times. It isn’t like they are going to miss a shot because someone isn’t in a certain place.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bartok posted:

Who is the top guy in WWE? Roman is wasting time in the midcard with his Shane McMahon feud. Daniel Bryan is a tag champ with Erik Rowan as his partner. AJ is injured. Cena is pretty much retired. Kofi despite winning the WWE Championship hasn't really been given a chance to be a top guy.

Vince, Shane and Stephanie McMahon.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

On the subject of Michaels being a trainer, didn't Rudy Boy Gonzalez do most if not all of the training at the school they had together?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

shawn was very hands on the first two years and passed the keys on to rudy boy after that.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

If they're serious about putting NXT on Fox Sports eventually, they need to completely move NXT, all of its current non-green wrestlers, and all of their upcoming indie acquisitions to Atlanta. That way they can exclusively focus weekly NXT television on introducing characters and developing big feuds so they can move it away from its reputation as a developmental minor league to become a Legit Major League Wrestling Show or whatever. (It'd also help if they upped its timeslot to two hours tbh.)

If they do that, they can reopen FCW for everyone who's green and/or who's on the Florida loop but isn't getting on television. Your Rik Bugezs, your Babatundes, all those folks. They'd get a regular TV show filmed at Full Sail that would actually function as a developmental show, so they'd have concrete televised evidence of where they're loving up or whatever, and they'd hopefully get better. Without all the indie folks clogging up the pipes and hogging all the attention, it'd put a lot less pressure on the trainers (as they'd have fewer heads to keep track of and they'd be able to understand the green folks' strengths/weaknesses better), the writers (as they wouldn't be obligated to put out World Class Content from week to week) and especially the wrestlers themselves (as they'd have a space where they could gently caress up and nobody would care, because it's a developmental territory). When wrestlers are eventually deemed Good Enough For The Big Leagues, they can go to Raw or Smackdown or NXT and hit the ground running in their debut instead of floundering about for ages as nameless jobbers or whatever.

Of course, they're not going to do this, and NXT will still suck poo poo. So it goes.

e: the fact that Axel Dieter Jr. has been floundering about in NXT for the past two years should be a goddamn crime
e2: vv fair tbh vv

Venomous fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 25, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

God no, don't ruin NXT by making it 2 hours.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Make it 3.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

NXT 24/7 wrestle until you die

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Sending talent on excursion would solve a lot of problems with the Performance Center, but then they would pick up "bad habits" as Triple H says, bad habits like actually being able to work

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Bad habits like learning to hate promoters

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

bad habits like getting their eyes opened and stopping being dumb wwe marks

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

shawn was very hands on the first two years and passed the keys on to rudy boy after that.

Did anyone come out of that school besides Kendrick and Bryan and... MILANO?! When the gently caress did Milano Collection AT train in Texas?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Cameo posted:

Did anyone come out of that school besides Kendrick and Bryan and... MILANO?! When the gently caress did Milano Collection AT train in Texas?

Apparently in 2006 because Funaki recommended it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Cameo posted:

Danielson, Kendrick, London, Masada, Michael Shane, Hernandez, Lance Cade, and yeah, weirdly Milano Collection AT.

Its actually a weirdly impressive group for just a few years.

Simply Luscious was also kind of a minor name in the dark days of pre-Diva women's wrestling.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Cameo posted:

Spanky, Danielson, Paul London are obviously the 3 big ones. But also Hotstuff Hernandez & Lance Cade and pretty solid careers. And Michael Shane/Matt Bentley was around TNA for a while and wasn't terrible.

Honestly, by the stands of most wrestling schools that's not terrible.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

super macho dude posted:

NXT 24/7 wrestle until you die

fight forever

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWELeaksDotOrg/status/1144003632989450245

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Spanky, Danielson, Paul London are obviously the 3 big ones. But also Hotstuff Hernandez & Lance Cade and pretty solid careers. And Michael Shane/Matt Bentley was around TNA for a while and wasn't terrible.

Honestly, by the stands of most wrestling schools that's not terrible.

i wouldnt call what happened to Lance Cade a solid career

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

why do they type their odds like that. that's so stupid.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Weird that Best Friends are so low. I'm thinking they'll build towards a Friends/Bucks feud.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Gamblers fear Fuckin' Jeff.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1145039043257950209

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

1k people watching a test pattern. this promotion can get anything over.

i do hope they vary up the sets in the future, looks like they're reusing the DoN set and replaced the chips with palm trees.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Since Fyter wasn’t part of the initial run of shows announced, I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t want to devote resources to a unique set, especially two weeks before their next one.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ROH

Shane Taylor defeated Rhett Titus
Tasha Steelz won a 4 Corner Survival match against Jenny Rose, Angelina Love and Stella Grey to become #1 contender to the Women of Honor title. Post-match Maria Manic beats up the ring crew
The Bouncers (Brian Milonas and Beer City Bruiser) and Jay Lethal defeat The Kingdom (Matt Taven, TK O'Ryan and Vinny Marseglia)
Eli Drake defeated Grizzly Redwood
Coast 2 Coast (LSG and Shaheem Ali) defeat Marcus Kross and Griff Garrison
Jonathan Gresham won a 4 Corner Survival match against Kenny King, Dalton Castle and Jeff Cobb
Lethal says July 20 at Manhattan Mayhem he'll get back the world title from Taven. Alex Shelley comes out and says he wants a shot at the winner
Sons of Savagery (Bishop Khan and Michael Moses) squash two locals
Nick Aldis vs any one member of Villain Enterprises (Marty Scurll gets to pick) for Aldis' NWA title announced for August 9 in Canada
James Storm wins the NWA National title by submitting Colt Cabana
Silas Young defeated Josh Woods
Shinobi Shadow Squad (Cheesburger, Eli Isom and Ryan Nova) defeat Brian Johnson, Keyes and Caberello
Karissa Rivera defeated Sumie Sakai
Rush and Dragon Lee defeat the Briscoes
Lifeblood defeat Villain Enterprises in a Philly Street Fight; Bandido pins Marty

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Lethal says July 20 at Manhattan Mayhem he'll get back the world title from Taven. Alex Shelley comes out and says he wants a shot at the winner

Excuse me

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Draxion posted:

Excuse me

https://twitter.com/DaveMuscarella/status/1145115842964795392/photo/1

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Holy poo poo. I might check that out. I love Alex Shelly.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey, it's Kushida's partner.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
People couldn't be told that Alex wasn't retiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is that the fabled triple negative???????