Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I have images of Scott Steiner suplexing a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Jesus, that Wrestling Retribution thing has a hell of a roster. Adam Pearce, Chris Hero, Gallows, Anderson, Omega, Amazing Red, Colt Cabana, Joey Ryan... And Devitt and Spears were apparently booked as well?

and then Jeff Katz just buggered off with all the footage. I have a friend who was a backer and attended the tapings who's still a bit sore about that one.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

AEW Dark for Jan 14:

Guest commentator Dave Brown

Darby Allin defeats Brandon Cutler
Nyla Rose vs Shanna never happens, Shanna attacks Nyla before the bell and puts her through a table
Shawn Spears and Peter Avalon defeat Austin and Billy Gunn (Austin Gunn was officially confirmed as having signed with the company earlier in the day, expect to see more of him on Dark)

Pretty Peter got a win?

I am HERE for this.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Marmaduke! posted:

You're outta here!

Booooooo

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Draxion posted:

I don't know anyrhing about them but The Hunt feels like a Chikara team

Is one of them from Moldova?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So I guess AEW are just posting spoilers on main now https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1219908974516080640?s=19

EDIT: deleted now but it was this:

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 22, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

One of the biggest problems WWE has is that everything it touches turns to WWE. Nothing is allowed to be unique for long, especially if its uniqueness is popular

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MJeff posted:

Kong's always been a tough one. She's a big name and she's awesome, but from the second she stepped into AEW, it's been clear they gotta do a lot to hide her limitations. The storyline they were telling, Kong beating seven shades of poo poo out of everybody at Brandi's behest because she's an unstoppable killing machine, logically ends with her beating Riho for the belt, but it sounds like she's not even in a state where she can handle full one-on-one matches, so you obviously can't put the belt on her.

And this faction isn't even working anyway so at a certain point, you gotta just move on from some stuff.

One of the things I'm appreciating from AEW is their willingness to change something if it isn't working. They gave Nightmare Collective a chance and it stunk out the arena, so they're changing it up.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

*pounds table* more goth stables!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If TNA were a person it would be too old for Jerry Lawler to find it attractive.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

try the new taco place posted:

TNA Xplosion has been on television 3x as long as Nitro

"television"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Current Mania card

Brock/Drew
Reigns/Fiend
Charlotte/Rhea
Shayna/Becky
Edge/Orton
Styles/Taker
Cena/Elias
Naomi/Bayley

No talk about/plans for a women's battle royal at the moment

I don't want to see any of those matches.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I actually kinda got hyped for the idea of Aries/Spears.

I too am a late 1990s MADtv fan

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Procrastinator posted:

Cutler seems like a guy that's exceeding above the level they initially had him at, and now they're testing the waters with more.

They had that really neat sequence when he was tagging with Spears against Private Party. Spears abandoned him midmatch and he went on to almost win, with the crowd behind him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I can't get over the fact that NXT UK has a guy called Kenneth Williams.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

karmicknight posted:

https://twitter.com/SugarDunkerton/status/1240425198094036993

my dream (AEW as Good Chikara without the Quack baggage) continues to be closer and closer to reality.

After we saw Shug D's video on the Spears Tag Search last week, it's good to see they reached out to one of the hardest working guys on the indies.

Also, listen to his podcast Indie 'Til Infinity, it's really great.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Accident Underwater posted:

One woman seems to LOVE the Speedo-Man!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

Devitt/Guevara is a funny thing to consider, when I've felt the latter is kind of a young version of the former right now, or at least has that kind of potential

No, the younger version of Devitt is Jordan Devlin

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the escape goat posted:

and Devlin was trained by Balor, even.
their NXT UK Takeover match was almost eerie.

Now I want Devlin to come out in Demon makeup to face Balor in Demon makeup just for a Pentagon moment.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

he also doesn't do the wwe road schedule because he's in nxt

NXT do house shows. More than half his matches this year have been house shows.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

How long until he gets ring gear with question marks all over it and starts doing brainteasers before his matches?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ricky Starks is awesome and I hope this is true.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Let's remember the "all you had to do was ask" line came at the end of a brutal beatdown as a way of taking the wind out of Brodie's sails.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Yes please.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lid posted:

they were fine literally one week ago and now i'm terrified they've gone diving head first into pop a rating weekly gimmicks for no reason

How many AEW fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

One to change it, and the rest to freak out about how we can't change every lightbulb and now we're really worried that all the company does now is change lightbulbs and this is going to destroy the whole business and we can't believe they'd do something this stupid.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lid posted:

Theres optics at play here - AEW had bucked the label of being The Next TNA by being good, by knowing what it was and not seemingly just a jettison point for WWE cast offs but for those of merit and who were cool. It was favourably compared to the glory time of WCW.

Now in back to back weeks we have Zack Ryder, the worse Funkadactyl who hasn't worked in four years, and Eric Bischoff. That screams head first towards TNA comparisons with merit. Whether it will work out or not is still to be decided but that its a self inflicted risk and with no clear great upside even if successful is a worry.

"there's optics at play" is a phrase that here means "I have decided this looks bad"

Cameron sucks but isn't signed.
Cardona is fine and has mostly only looked bad because he's been booked bad.
The one thing Bischoff is good at is talking into a microphone. And he's not signed either.

If this is enough to cause TNA comparisons, you were looking for reasons to bail.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

I just feel like Ariane is taking up a spot that should rightly be held by the person who does the best Northern lights suplex in the business, Alicia Fox, and I stand by that position.

If I remember correctly, Alicia Fox has pretty much retired from the business after a battle with alcoholism and has gone back to college. It does seem like she would be a natural pickup otherwise, seeing that she lives in Jacksonville.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dacap posted:

Gargano/Cole would be pretty funny too.

Thinking about it, are any of those four even faces at the moment? Does NXT have ANY main event faces with Lee gone?

I mean, they have KUSHIDAhahahaha I'm sorry I couldn't even finish the comment.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Benne posted:

This literally happened in the Johnny Mundo/Prince Puma All Night Long match in LU.

Which is also one of the best Iron Man matches ever, partly because they told an actual story. Dastardly heel Johnny used the chair early on to rack up a bunch of cheap pins, so most of the match is built around valiant babyface Ricochet making a desperate comeback, which gets the crowd into an absolute frenzy*, and it's all crazy action and they aren't loving around in chinlocks trying to kill time like most Iron Man matches. It's well worth going out of your way to see.

*funny what happens when you actually book Ricochet well, he gets over and feels like the biggest star on the show. But what do I know

Wasn't there a section in that where Johnny just went and partied with the band to run down the clock?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Still 7 months away obviously so it's by no means set in stone, but

Per Dave, WWE is currently considering either Drew/Brock (again) or Orton/Edge (again) for the WWE title match at Mania

I'm so loving tired.

This is a company that employs some of the greatest wrestlers in the entire world, and they use them so badly that they can't even book a main event for their biggest show because nobody is worth anything.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Getting to face TNT Champion Miro is like a Make A Wish except it's the wish that means you die.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

It was July 31, Del Rio won after it was turned into a triple threat with Carlito per Cagematch

Wow, what a treat for all the fan in attendance.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

karmicknight posted:

A shot for shot remake of the matches from ddt's kawasaki stadium show.

And have Tony Khan run out after to yell at them for loving it up.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Leyla would be a good choice imo. Just let her collect arms with workrate matches.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Honestly a tournament would a a good excuse to invest in TV time for women's wrestling.

Let's say it's a sixteen woman tournament, single knockout. That means fifteen singles matches.

Each week do two on Dynamite and one on Rampage., and that's five weeks of TV where people will know what the women's matches are going to be and have a story to follow.

Week 1: 3 first round matches
Week 2: 3 first round matches
Week 3: 2 first round matches on Dynamite, first quarter final on Rampage
Week 4: 2 quarter finals on Dynamite, last quarter final on Rampage
Week 5: 2 semi finals on Dynamite, final as the main event of Rampage.

Five weeks isn't enough time for it to drag if people are interested, and two women's matches in a two hour show isn't a big time commitment. Just cut a Dan Lambert promo.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, it's pretty obvious Cody's going over Black when they rematch. Everyone knows every Cody feud goes Cody loses, Cody wins, and then they never do a 3rd match.

this one went Cody loses, Cody loses.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Titan is also the name of a CMLL wrestler who appears in New Japan with semi-regularity. Not that I think this will cause confusion, it's just funny.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/1452396386398396418

There's rumours in various places about who "Infinito" is, with Bryan Danielson being a popular choice.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

needs an immediate feud with Bear Country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

There's my goblin