Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Definitely interested to see how the tag team match plays out in practice. I thought SCU were pretty lousy champions and I like Page/Omega together, but still losing to what is ultimately two singles guys for the first AEW title change ever is a pretty unceremonious end to the SCU run.

I'd still assume a pretty short run for Page/Omega, maybe with them coming apart at Dynamite? First thought angle is that Dark Order could turn Page, but honestly, I'd rather just have PnP or Lucha Brothers (or even the Bucks!) win it in a straight-up match. Give the belts to one of your legit star teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Good card

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I was going to post after the Revolution tag that Riho-Kip is the best feud in AEW, so I'm glad they are (presumably) building on it

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The only thing Braun needed to do to get management to buy in is bash poor indie dorks

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Asuka refuses to accept the vacated title, cashes in and forces a pregnant woman to tap to Earn the belt...now that's how you get heat

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MorningMoon posted:

These are both excellent options and i'm sure WWE ain't doing either.

It seems like it would be incredibly hard to avoid doing either one. But I do admire your faith in WWE's ability to screw things up, and I can't say that it's misplaced

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Let Ricky go over Cody and then beat Hager's rear end at Fyter Fest

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

quote:

However, from what we’re told, the group is set to “cause chaos” in WWE from a storyline standpoint and use any means necessary to get the attention of management.

Lmao if they're really going for it

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Very excited about Thunder Rosa and the tag team finals matchup. Not so much about Erick Rowan appearing

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Aw shucks. Well that's good fanfic by whoever wrote it

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Several people have debuted and gotten a title match with TNT Champion Cody

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I was scrolling through the AEW twitter and it was very funny to see dumb assholes replying to multiple tweets with "Did Rowan debut yet and help Brodie win????" because they thought they were spoiling the show for other people

Smugly leaning back in my chair with the knowledge that I ruined the Ruud Awakening for AEWailures

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
They're gonna do the Yano finish from this year's Rambo where everyone else is thrown out before #30 enters and he wins by default

I would say that it's a surprise Brock return for icing on the cake, but I guess they're announcing #30 ahead of time so that takes some fun out of it

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Skye Blue was notably over on Wednesday too, to the point that I felt bad for Riho lol

Good for her

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The only thing booked for Rampage is "Taz on Jersey: An AEW Town Hall"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Eat My Fuc posted:

holy poo poo that rules

He started his rap “My name’s Tony Khan and I’m here to say”

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bryan/Mox as the tourney finals would be so sick

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Also Tony walking around the sidelines of his dad's NFL team cradling scribbled wrestling booking ideas is so funny. Living the failson dream

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Trish Adora is maybe a top three signing AEW could make from the current crop of free agents. Willow is cool too

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think I’m cool with a champ occasionally losing a non-title match as long as it’s a heel who’s leaned heavy on cheating. At this point in her title reign, it feels right to establish that Britt is at a level where she’s capable of losing to a past champ if her goons aren’t in the mix. (The match itself was kind of eh; I’m hoping it either comes across better on TV or they build some good heat for round two)

Kenny getting pinned by Christian because of interference gone awry and the Bucks getting pinned by Penta/Eddie after a ton of Bucks interference wins were similar spiritually, give the audience a reprieve from heel dominance and mark a turning point that you’re getting close to the end of a championship run. In general, it’s probably safer/cleaner to do more tag matches to set up a 1v1 title shot if you wanna pin the champ, but as long as they don’t go overboard I’m alright with their approach too.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I thought to myself “eh, not like any of the Rampage results are in question, might as well click the spoiler thread just to get a vibe check on how good the matches were” and then Cody Rhodes made a fool of me

So uh, how were the matches

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hell yeah. Glad you got to see the Code man go over brother

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Cody is screwing people over just by being present in the ring with them

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think babyface Sammy depends on him wrestling very frequently and staying over with his cool moves, so if they’re not changing his alignment, it’s kind of weird to end his reign in a match with minimal build after a few weeks of inactivity. It felt like his run with the belt was stymied by the ATT stuff, similar to the front half of Darby’s reign when he barely wrestled, and I assumed the Lethal and Nese matches were the start of a more regular series of defenses

Agreed that Sammy as a character works waaaay better as a heel, so if this is to set up an eventual turn I’m all for that

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Pylons posted:

My assumption is that Sammy is going to get his win back against Cody and regain the title.

This was my original assumption but I dunno, the more I thought about it the less sense it made to give Sammy another road block to “make him” when he already got the first win over Miro to take the belt. He doesn’t need the rub of overcoming Cody; he just needs to wrestle

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Turns out when you do 50 matches in a feud, everyone has good chemistry in the blowoff

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Dacap posted:

I never understood why Bunny gets such a disproportionate amount of criticism. She’s not the best in the ring but she’s also not ever really pushed into the main event over more deserving women and she is a good character who is extremely expressive in the ring. She’s very solid in her place as a midcarder.

Bunny does solid ring work and great character work; I would imagine a good amount of the criticism has to do with "brass nux heel" being a boring story if it's told too long or too frequently. It felt like Stat/Ruby/Tay/Anna ran through the same general paces feuding with Bunny/Penelope this year, and all parties involved probably would have benefited if some other midcard heel got TV time as a change of pace

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Eat My Fuc posted:

Mox will challenge Danielson after he taps out Hangman Adam Page who is stuck as a virgin with rage

Redo Brock/Kofi with Mox as Cain

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I know Covid is a huge factor but it is hard to think of a wrestler who’s cooled off more over the course of a year than Jay White.

Headlined Wrestle Kingdom, has the weird free agent story that had a ton of buzz but went nowhere, won the NEVER title then almost immediately hosed off to America, had the weird Bullet Club: Generational Civil War standoff with Omega on Impact that went nowhere, did a string of New Japan USA shows and dropped the NEVER belt as soon as they could get someone worthwhile to America, and now he’s just occasionally working Strong and competing in an Impact eight-man match with someone called “Madman Fulton.” What a ride

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If Penta and Fenix are assembling a Lucha Army then AEW has to sign their good friend Taya and let her be part of the crew

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Emi was in a trios Dark match with Bunny and Diamanté

Rampage was chalk except for a DQ finish to Rosa-Mercedes

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1494028866511331340

This is apparently about Buddy Murphy. Tony’s midcard workrate singles guy budget is exploding with Cody gone

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Think that fella is joking around

https://twitter.com/jeremylambert88/status/1493601097931534344

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If he does face Seth, one of three things is almost certainly going to happen:

1. Cody comes in as a face and in his debut match goes over Seth Rollins, a guy who crowds are currently super behind and who has been kind of dicked around in the booking for several months now
2. After refusing to turn heel in AEW for months, Cody debuts as a heel in WWE
3. Cody loses in his first match

Excited to see where it goes

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Mons Hubris posted:

I hope when they reveal Cody’s name it’s like Ron Crunkle

I genuinely think the best way to handle Cody in WWE would be to just go over the top Corporate Sellout, including a dumb name change. Give him a good authority-adjacent heel run, have fun with him bigging up WWE and Vince despite all the history, eventually take the layup face turn where he goes back to being Cody

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Vince is picking Seth's opponent. Shane is in town. All the pieces are falling into place for my proposed "Cody is Vince's new son" angle

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Sammy really inherited the Cody role in the company seamlessly. From now on there's just always destined to be one guy in the company who isn't really a great fit as a face who the audience suddenly decides must be booed into oblivion

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Once Face Sammy tanked you had three options - keep pushing forward with a story the audience didn't want, put Sky over right away and shuffle Sammy off to something else, or put Sammy over with a heel turn and try to spin the negative crowd reactions into positive momentum. I don't mind them going with the third; aborting the Scorp title reign is a pretty small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

I would hope this Sammy reign doesn't go any further than DoN, though. Build up one of Swerve/Keith to take it off him, or have Darby do a "WTF happened to you since Revolution?" angle, or have Miro come back and rip him to shreds

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's weird that the TNT title has a habit of looping back to the same person, but I really do think there are super obvious extenuating circumstances for this one. Sammy's face character totally tanked to the point fans reveled in booing him and they aired a promo that seemed to explicitly say "we're scrapping plans for a mixed tag and just cutting to Sammy-Sky II." I don't see what's wrong with going "Sammy's primed for a big heel turn now, let's pull the trigger and use the belt to really give the turn some weight."

And you might say "Oh but it undercuts the Scorpio title run" and, even before you get into the debatability of how much juice there really was in in Scorpio Sky's reign, I think it's also worth considering that ATT is the subject of vocal audience complaints and has on multiple occasions failed to convincingly get faces over in their angles. Maybe you see this pattern repeating itself for a second or third time and reconsider the value of having the belt tied up with that group.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is, Let Things Play Out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Stat breaking in her new gimmick in a tournament she's presumably not gonna win is suboptimal, but yeah given that she's facing Red Velvet you could spin it into a Jade match real easy. Maybe have Statlander win the quarterfinals match, then the Baddies cost her in the semis, go from there

Stall_19 posted:

And why is Shida being replaced?

She's been working in Japan so maybe something to do with that