Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of this opinion?
No you are wrong. Evil is good.
Correct
Correct except we SHOULD nuke it
Fats don't deserve to have opinions
View Results

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Serviette posted:

The Vatican has a monopoly on a significant portion of the world's history. They should be compelled to release it all in its entirety. Faith notwithstanding.

they just opened up some sort of online database of items in their archive, jerk

and if you think the rest of the world would handle it any better I've got some bad news about the state of the archival profession to let you in on

edit: here it is, I think: http://opac.vatlib.it/iguana/www.main.cls?sUrl=homeMSS&language=eng

edit 2: that's just manuscripts, this looks to be the root directory: https://www.vatlib.it/home.php?ling=eng

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
what other loving religions have entire temples decorated with thousands of bones from the sacred dead decorating that poo poo, with whole skeletons crowned and suited in gold armor

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I knock the pope's stupid hat of his head and say CATHOLIC MY SACK

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
some catholic church here in town televises their mass and its a decent sized church but the only ppl you see attending are one or two families and a lot of really old ppl

also the church inside is super decked out in shiny looking metal and gaudy expensive looking decorations and the virgin mary seems to have a place of honor its very very mexican

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I can't wait until the growing Hispanic population in the US flips the bit on hating Catholics and makes it more politically explosive than homophobia :twisted:

I'm using this thread to blow up your presidential run in 2070, nathilus, so don't even think about it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
* don't be tricked by their words

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Lifelong gay Catholic guy here (I can't have sex without committing mortal sin.)

My life sucks but I hope for heaven.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
The current pope seems like he's not thoroughly evil? Is it a trick or.is the church slipping

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Pope Francis only has 1 and 1/3 set of lungs but still gives full length speeches and sermons because he is badass

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Illegal Username posted:

The current pope seems like he's not thoroughly evil? Is it a trick or.is the church slipping

Imagine if Bernie Sanders got the Dem nomination. The Dems would still be a shitshow, and Bernie is only good in comparison with his peers.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

looks like papists are back on the menu boyds :getin:

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

dont leave me hanging

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Imagine if Bernie Sanders got the Dem nomination. The Dems would still be a shitshow, and Bernie is only good in comparison with his peers.

this is pretty accurate. He liberal merely because he's not outright calling for the death of homosexuals and abortionists.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
The cool thing about the current pope is that he's not from the cranky, corrupt, old italian fucks club that rules the vatican. That and he has more than lip service when it comes to helping the poor.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nathilus posted:

The cool thing about the current pope is that he's not from the cranky, corrupt, old italian fucks club that rules the vatican. That and he has more than lip service when it comes to helping the poor.
I dunno looks to me like there are still a lot of gold plated churches and also poor people in the world.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

jBrereton posted:

I dunno looks to me like there are still a lot of gold plated churches and also poor people in the world.

You know that the catholics are lying and that the pope isn't really magic, right? He doesn't get to just snap his fingers and make waterfalls/institutional inertia start flowing backwards.

The dude is only human. Complaining about him not having fed all the world hungry yet at this juncture is like the people who were complaining that obama hadn't fulfilled his campaign promises, 14 minutes after he was sworn in.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
He could just go into the vatican treasury and start putting the Knights Templar's old stuff up on eBay imo. Maybe have a Humble Bundle package of a grab bag of tacky idols where you can split the price between Humble Bundle, Unicef, and Water Aid, that kind of thing. Just spitballin here.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"Donators over $50 will get a guaranteed (signed by the pope!) lesser absolution from sins".

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

jBrereton posted:

"Donators over $50 will get a guaranteed (signed by the pope!) lesser absolution from sins".

That's evil though. Selling absolutions is one of those cynical plays on faith I was talking about. Would you buy one of those? If so I have a permanent get your dick sucked anytime voucher on sale for 5k.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

jBrereton posted:

Unironically would buy one of these and would have them presented to me at my upcoming gay civil union

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nathilus posted:

Pick a century and I'll give you horrors to melt your loving brain.

21st

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

The 20th and 21st are what we've been talking about so I won't reiterate myself but for two words: boy rear end.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

whoflungpoop posted:

also the church inside is super decked out in shiny looking metal and gaudy expensive looking decorations

Filigree - it's one of my favorite words.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Swan Curry posted:

I went to a Catholic private school. They were pretty chill about the whole thing, we went to mass during the day a few times a year and we watched films in religion (funnily enough watching Cool Hand Luke was one of the first times I thought "Wow, those guys are hot"). A few priests lived in their own wing of the school but they minded their own business for the most part, the only day to day involvement they had was organising charity events. However, one teacher in particular, Ms. Wall was VERY Catholic. She was the only teacher left to start class with a prayer and insisted the class follow along. She was usually kept away from religion classes but sometimes she'd see a class without a teacher and take an opportunity to give us some good Catholic schooling.

This was around two years ago and abortion was once again a big issue in Ireland. One of the most important events in the history of abortion in Ireland was the X Case in 1992. A 14 year old girl known only as X was raped by her neighbour. When she threatened to commit suicide after becoming pregnant her family tried to bring her to England to get an abortion,but the state prevented them from leaving the country. The Supreme Court decided X had the right to an abortion due to the risk to her own life.

The facts of the case are pretty clear. It is a fact that X was raped by neighbour. In fact, that neighbour was later convicted of raping another teenage girl as well. It is a fact that X was willing to commit suicide if she was forced to carry the pregnancy to term. Ms. Wall didn't like those facts though. She told the class that she actually knew X. She claimed she had lived just around the corner from her. Ms. Wall knew the truth, that X was, in her own words, "A bit of a wild child". When her parents discovered X was pregnant, they decided they could use this situation as a way to bring "Abortion on demand" to Ireland. Ms. Wall insisted this was the truth.

What really scares me when I think about it is one of the other lads' reaction to it. He ate every word of it up, believed it all without question. This lad is from a pretty important family. Both his parents are fairly senior political and judicial figures and he's destined for either Parliament or the courts. He's possibly going to wield significant power in this country and he happily believes this poo poo and god knows what else.

gently caress you Ms. Wall, you wretched old oval office.

e:four paragraphs in gbs, kill me now

Yeah Irish political society has been bound in chains to the Church for decades. The only reason we passed an abortion referendum after the X Case debacle was because the middle class went apeshit at the prospect of not being able to go to England for an abortion, despite being able to afford it. Abortion in Ireland is pretty much a-ok as long as you can afford to go to England and keep it quiet.

Here's an old letter of an Irish MP to the Ruler of Catholic Ireland, Archbishop John Charles McQuaid, just after he was elected. Basically the Archbishop could summon MPs to his Palace in Dublin at will.

Grovelling poo poo, Sean MacBride, elected member of Irish Parliament posted:

I hasten, as my first act, to pay my humble respects to Your Grace, and to place myself at Your Grace’s disposal. Both as a Catholic and a public representative, I shall always welcome any advice which Your Grace may be good enough to give me and shall be at Your Grace’s disposal should there be any matters on which Your Grace feels I could be of any assistance. It is my sincere hope that Your Grace will not hesistate to avail of my services should the occasion arise.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

drat could he possibly have sucked dick any sloppier?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

So much edge in this thread.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I like being catholic and am getting ready to go to mass AS I TYPE THIS

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

We had this young hip priest in his 20s as an ethics teacher in catholic high school. We all thought he was super cool because he would play Metallica in class and jump on his desk when ppl didn't pay attention and get real with us about hypocrisy in the church. He seemed happy but out of nowhere he shot himself which as he had informed us in class was a straight ticket to hell. Some kids joked that he had sent himself to hell to hunt demons like in some edgy comic book.

Apparent poor guy had struggled with depression for a long time. That's my catholic school story.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Pope Francis only has 1 and 1/3 set of lungs but still gives full length speeches and sermons because he is badass

No that's just power of Jesus.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Most people make do with just one set of lungs

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FART BOSS posted:

We had this young hip priest in his 20s as an ethics teacher in catholic high school. We all thought he was super cool because he would play Metallica in class and jump on his desk when ppl didn't pay attention and get real with us about hypocrisy in the church. He seemed happy but out of nowhere he shot himself which as he had informed us in class was a straight ticket to hell. Some kids joked that he had sent himself to hell to hunt demons like in some edgy comic book.

Apparent poor guy had struggled with depression for a long time. That's my catholic school story.

He killed himself because none of you would put out.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Grew up Catholic, went to mass every week, was altar boy for a while, did the whole confirmation thing, continued to go to mass for a while until I realized that I wasn't really getting anything out of it

Oh and the constant guilt-tripping did no favors to my already lovely outlook of myself wow thanks Catholic church I really wanna hear how I am an irredeemable piece of poo poo when I get up early for your bullshit on Sunday

They're better than the crazy-rear end bible-thumpers down south but wow is that a low bar to clear

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

This thread

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Grew up Catholic, went to mass every week, was altar boy for a while, did the whole confirmation thing, continued to go to mass for a while until I realized that I wasn't really getting anything out of it l

Whoa so you didn't even get molested a little? You just did alterboy scutwork.... For free? WTF. Did you feel insulted? I think I would have felt insulted. It's like, drat, I know I have a flat rear end but priests are loving incorrigible.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

Grew up Catholic, went to mass every week, was altar boy for a while, did the whole confirmation thing, continued to go to mass for a while until I realized that I wasn't really getting anything out of it

were you a really ugly kid?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Zippy the Bummer posted:

what other loving religions have entire temples decorated with thousands of bones from the sacred dead decorating that poo poo, with whole skeletons crowned and suited in gold armor

It is the most metal form of Christianity, easily.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Before I left the church they expanded the one I was going to- built this loving huge elaborate hi-cieling temple and put a bookstore in the lobby where you could buy Catholic knick knacks

redmedicine
Mar 7, 2015
good job shining a spotlight on this dastardly organization fellas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Catholics believe in the Bible, check your sources OP

• Locked thread