Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GonSmithe posted:

Thanks for making a second post, but I still don't really know why you think they don't know what they were doing with this movie. I feel like they've kept a pretty consistent tone, and David Ayer is a great director for keeping to what he wants a movie to be.

I also think the Justice League trailer is a bad example because it is completely soaked in "OH GOD YOU LIKE THE AVENGERS NOT OUR MOVIES HERE WE CAN QUIP TOO!!!" Basically exactly what you're saying is wrong with Suicide Squad.

Maybe it's because they've been dragging out the marketing for so long, reports of re-shoots after Deadpool and tone discrepancy between trailers.
If they had released the latest trailer first, I would be much more excited.

You're right about the JL trailer. I just used it because it's very recent and made my the same general group.

There's a decent chance I will see this in a first-run theater unless the reviews are like BvS (if that's possible) since there are some good and cheap options in my town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

reports of re-shoots after Deadpool

All movies of this scale budget in additional shooting late in the process and there's no reliable indication it had anything to do with Deadpool or changing the tone of the movie.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sir Kodiak posted:

All movies of this scale budget in additional shooting late in the process and there's no reliable indication it had anything to do with Deadpool or changing the tone of the movie.

Hmm, I'll take your word for it but let's not be so naive to think that once Deadpool rocked everyone in the dick, every studio didn't have a big think-tank meeting on how they could capture some of that magic.

I'm afraid to go I to the thread for it but can anyone tell me if the directors cut of BvS makes it a watchable movie?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Hmm, I'll take your word for it but let's not be so naive to think that once Deadpool rocked everyone in the dick, every studio didn't have a big think-tank meeting on how they could capture some of that magic.

I'm afraid to go I to the thread for it but can anyone tell me if the directors cut of BvS makes it a watchable movie?

Sure, I absolutely believe that it influenced the advertising, but I doubt that it changed the movie.

There are people who strongly disliked BvS who were brought around by the director's cut. There's people who it did nothing for, including both people who didn't like the movie and people who already liked it.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Just got back from a press screening and it wasn't that great. I went in with high expectations and it all fell flat. The visuals were great obviously but the characters had no chemistry. The attempts at humor fell flat and this might be the worst Joker rendition I've ever seen.

There was one line at the end from Will Smith during the end battle where he goes "Lady, you are EVIL". That was so cringe worthy I slouched lower in my seat.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

To be fair, how many bad Joker renditions have there actually been?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/760344895399849984

Risky posted:

Just got back from a press screening and it wasn't that great. I went in with high expectations and it all fell flat. The visuals were great obviously but the characters had no chemistry. The attempts at humor fell flat and this might be the worst Joker rendition I've ever seen.

There was one line at the end from Will Smith during the end battle where he goes "Lady, you are EVIL". That was so cringe worthy I slouched lower in my seat.

Thanks for the advance review. I'll be adding early impressions like this to the OP to help goons decide.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe it's because they've been dragging out the marketing for so long, reports of re-shoots after Deadpool and tone discrepancy between trailers.
If they had released the latest trailer first, I would be much more excited.

You're right about the JL trailer. I just used it because it's very recent and made my the same general group.

There's a decent chance I will see this in a first-run theater unless the reviews are like BvS (if that's possible) since there are some good and cheap options in my town.

The first trailer wasn't supposed to be seen by the public. It was a comic con only thing, and usually those trailers are often tonally off, or just slapped together. They work because geeks will geek out about anything.

Harley Quinn just hanging out? "WWWWEEEEW WOOO OWHHHHHH!!!" A shot of Batman on a car? "WOOOOOWWWWWHUHOOOOOOOOO!!!! "

If I recall, the first trailer is the Queen one, and that has a pretty fun tone. So it was always there. Just not for the weird comic con one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm really glad that WB decided to skip the pretense and immediately put up their Comic Con trailers on youtube. Why spend money trying to take down lovely cell phone cam rips when they could throw it up and instantly create buzz?

Risky
May 18, 2003

Martman posted:

To be fair, how many bad Joker renditions have there actually been?

Heath Ledger set the bar too high.

Leto's joker doesn't even come close to psychotic like Ledger played him. The only thing differentiating the Joker in this film from the rest of his goons is his makeup.

edit: Here's the free swag they gave us as proof.

Good points about the movie: The first 10-15 minutes. Goes down the line of characters and shows a bit of their backstory. Deadshot's was especially cool with a nicely done scene of one of his contract killings.

Bad points: Most of the dialogue, attempts at humor (no one in the theater laughed at all during the duration of the film), Characters just thrown together with almost no chemistry (The closest we get to anything is with Deadshot and Harley). Soundtrack while good is inappropriate for so many of the scenes.

Risky fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 2, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Whilst I agree that Heath Ledger's performance was amazing I don't actually like it as a portrayal of The Joker. It's an amazing performance and he really does a lot for the Dark Knight as a movie but I think the character he's been given just isn't what I think of when I think of the Joker. What this means for Leto when I see it is unknown at the time.

I think the biggest metric is if the Joker makes me laugh, and the only thing that Heath Ledger's Joker did that made me laugh was his magic trick. Doesn't mean he didn't absolutely rock the roll, I just don't think the roll was actually The Joker.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Whilst I agree that Heath Ledger's performance was amazing I don't actually like it as a portrayal of The Joker. It's an amazing performance and he really does a lot for the Dark Knight as a movie but I think the character he's been given just isn't what I think of when I think of the Joker. What this means for Leto when I see it is unknown at the time.

I think the biggest metric is if the Joker makes me laugh, and the only thing that Heath Ledger's Joker did that made me laugh was his magic trick. Doesn't mean he didn't absolutely rock the roll, I just don't think the roll was actually The Joker.

Someone missed the antics with the remote detonator for the hospital explosives.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

The saddest part of this post is that Marvel isn't even paying the guy. He spouts this many buzzwords for free.

Turns out it was Zack Snyder working for Marvel all along.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lord_Magmar posted:

I don't think I've ever laughed all that much at any iteration of the Joker.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Wade Wilson posted:

Someone missed the antics with the remote detonator for the hospital explosives.
Or really, even just the reveal of nurse Joker.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Or the little moment after the Magic Pencil Trick where he clearly waits to see if anybody cheers.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
'You think you can just steal from us and walk away?'
'Yeah'

Slugworth posted:

Or really, even just the reveal of nurse Joker.

My favourite bit of this is that Dent had no idea it was the Joker before he took the tiny face mask off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
2 days before the movie comes out and reviews are still embargoed. 0% chance it's good.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

mcmagic posted:

2 days before the movie comes out and reviews are still embargoed. 0% chance it's good.

Our (Belgian site geekster.be) embargo ends in 50 minutes

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I had to be the only person in my theater that laughed at the firetruck on fire blocking the road so that the truck with Dent in it would go the way the Joker wanted. It was just perfectly silly. There was a lot of humor in that movie.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Our website (geekster.be) got to go to a press screening, and here is our (English) review:
http://www.geekster.be/films/suicide-squad-review-enter-the-cannon-fodder/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Risky posted:

Heath Ledger set the bar too high.

Leto's joker doesn't even come close to psychotic like Ledger played him. The only thing differentiating the Joker in this film from the rest of his goons is his makeup.

edit: Here's the free swag they gave us as proof.

Good points about the movie: The first 10-15 minutes. Goes down the line of characters and shows a bit of their backstory. Deadshot's was especially cool with a nicely done scene of one of his contract killings.

Bad points: Most of the dialogue, attempts at humor (no one in the theater laughed at all during the duration of the film), Characters just thrown together with almost no chemistry (The closest we get to anything is with Deadshot and Harley). Soundtrack while good is inappropriate for so many of the scenes.

Can you talk about Batman and Flash being in this? Feel free to completely spoil it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Please don't spoil it without spoiler tags, tho.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

To me, getting over that Heath Ledger bump since its still so fresh in people's minds, you'd have to interpret the character something like Cesar Romero instead of perpetuating the same anarchist characterization. Just a swing in the opposite direction. Staying in the same wheelhouse you're bound to keep getting compared to someone who played the role less than 10 years ago.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wonder if Tom Hardy as Rick Flag could have made this film a critical darling.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

teagone posted:

I wonder if Tom Hardy as Rick Flag could have made this film a critical darling.

sounds like it wouldn't have mattered, because the reason he left was due to his character not doing anything that important or fun or something to that effect. If anything it would be another dinger against the movie and reviews would just be like "they wasted Tom Hardy in this" much like people are saying the Joker or Killer Croc wasn't used enough

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MinibarMatchman posted:

sounds like it wouldn't have mattered, because the reason he left was due to his character not doing anything that important or fun or something to that effect. If anything it would be another dinger against the movie and reviews would just be like "they wasted Tom Hardy in this" much like people are saying the Joker or Killer Croc wasn't used enough

He left because shooting on The Revenant ran long, if I'm not mistaken. He talked about being pissed that he lost money by having to back out of Suicide Squad and that that anger helped his acting in The Revenant.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MeatwadIsGod posted:

He left because shooting on The Revenant ran long, if I'm not mistaken. He talked about being pissed that he lost money by having to back out of Suicide Squad and that that anger helped his acting in The Revenant.

That's pretty funny.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Having recently rewatched The Dark Knight, it's a testament to how good Heath Ledger's performance is that any of it is funny at all, because basically none of it reads as funny on the page.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Having recently rewatched The Dark Knight, it's a testament to how good Heath Ledger's performance is that any of it is funny at all, because basically none of it reads as funny on the page.

Bale does his part.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

That really is hilarious because his character in The Revenant is obsessed with those goddamn pelts.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Crosspost from Greenlit thread:

Shageletic posted:

Yeesh: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/02/suicide-squad-is-a-huge-mess

EDIT:

quote:

If Guardians of the Galaxy was Coca-Cola, Suicide Squad is Faygo.

haha

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I don't like Faraci, but I do enjoy my food/beverage analogies, and I liked that one.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

mcmagic posted:

30 review up on RT now. Devin Faraci poo poo all over the movie but loved some of the characters so will apparently give it a fresh rating..?

It sounds dreadful.

Trump fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 2, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

teagone posted:

I don't like Faraci, but I do enjoy my food/beverage analogies, and I liked that one.

It made me instantly think of the Joker = Juggalo complaints from the early press photos.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's a pre-emptive move to keep obnoxious nerds from overidentifying with him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

It made me instantly think of the Joker = Juggalo complaints from the early press photos.

I watched a documentary on Juggalos recently and their attachment to Faygo was new to me. I don't understand how you can stand outside of a concert venue, bathe yourself in Faygo before you even get in there, and then enjoy a 2 or 3 hour concert while the Faygo is all sticky and in your hair and all over your face and hands ugh.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MacheteZombie posted:

Crosspost from Greenlit thread:

haha
[/quote]

It's full of lovely clowns?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I watched a documentary on Juggalos recently and their attachment to Faygo was new to me. I don't understand how you can stand outside of a concert venue, bathe yourself in Faygo before you even get in there, and then enjoy a 2 or 3 hour concert while the Faygo is all sticky and in your hair and all over your face and hands ugh.

My family is all from Michigan, so I've known about Faygo long before the Juggalo craze. I don't get why they attached themselves to it either. Faygo Red Pop is alright, but not something I'd base part of my lifestyle around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Apparently they use Diet Faygo because that doesn't make it sticky or something.

• Locked thread