Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

look, the man has an oscar

At this point it is a prerequisite for playing The Joker in a big budget movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Will Smith as Deadshot still disappoints me, because like everything I've seen makes it looks like he's gonna do that thing where he just plays The Character Of Will Smith instead.

Also needs more mask.

He's become a bit of a self parody in recent years, but if he puts his ego aside he's an extremely talented and charismatic actor. That said I'm also a little worried they hired him to play Will Smith playing Deadshot, instead of just Deadshot.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I feel like this summer was chock full of disappointing trash blockbusters, and every review seems to point to this failing to buck the trend.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

computer parts posted:

Paramount seems to be doing just fine with known critic bomb Transformers.

Suicide Squad failing is actually a much bigger problem than a particular Transformers movie under performing, because it doesn't have a cameo from Jack Reacher and xXx and exist in the same universe, although to be fair if it did I would actually consider watching it.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

computer parts posted:

The point is that box office success is not related to critical success, and that's what will determine anything about future films.

I understood the simplistic point you were making, having critical bombs and divisive receptions are actually going to have a dramatic effect on future ticket sales for related movies. The first Transformers had the best reception critically, and the second movie had the best box office, despite worse reviews. Each subsequent movie after the second has done worse than the first movie if you adjust for inflation.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the one thing tomato ratings might actually be useful for is that a huge disparity, in either direction, likely indicates an interesting film

I've found a low critical tomato score to be extremely accurate in predicting movies I don't think much of and won't enjoy, but anything above 65-70 percent is simply useless unless you have near critical consensus. An aggregate system that effectively gives a 3/5 and 5/5 the same weighting has a lot of underlying problems.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

I Before E posted:

Honestly a 90+ rating on RT usually correlates to Unchallenging But Competent, something that says something the people who consider themselves Serious Film Reviewers already agree with.

Yes there is definitely a problem that movies that are pleasing but not particularly ambitious or challenging are favored in the system. I remember Zootopia having a 98 rating, and while it is an immensely enjoyable movie, it isn't exactly a cinematic masterpiece. Too high of a rating almost ensures a movie is good but not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The RT 'fresh' rating isn't a measure of quality, it's just a count of how many critics gave it a favourable review. If a movie only had 10 reviews and they were all "Eh, it was okay I guess, nothing special but some fun, 3/5" that'd be a 100% fresh rating.

RT also gives an average rating which averages out all the star ratings from the review. Zootopia has a 98% 'fresh' rating but an average rating of 8.1/10, Suicide Squad has a 26% fresh rating but an average rating of 4.7/10.

I'm aware how the rating works, including the average rating that is largely hidden. The point was more about how a lack of negative reactions can be misleading and rather than overall quality tends to reflect ease of consumption.

• Locked thread