Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
i heard jared leto had two of his ribs removed so the joker could suck his own dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
that's not his name

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Just came back from it, and I love this movie about how the american war machine can only enable the worst of itself, despite what a recent billion-dollar superhero movie franchise would have you believe. My favorite detail is how the movie begins and ends with mirrored shots of Deadshot punching his bag. (he's on the left at the start, and on the right at the end).

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Blisster posted:

Harley embracing the Joker in SWAT gear at the end is definitely interesting. Are you guys saying she's accepted the idea of working for "the man" as long as she gets her espresso machine? She seems pretty content even before she is rescued, despite her situation not really changing from the start of the movie.

Man my reading on that is the exact opposite of yours. To me, Harley's entire character arc in this is about finding who can exert the most control on her. She hesitates between the Joker and Waller until the attempted breakout, when Waller and the Squad win by shooting Joker's helicopter down.

Realizing that Harley has fallen for the black-ops operation of her captors, Joker, who in this is a huge phony play-acting through life for fun and profit, dons the apparel of military power, the SWAT gear, and Harley gets swept up all over again.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

I like that deranged mentally ill character Harley Quinn's inner desire is to live a normal 50s life, what does that say about the film's messaging?

The whole idea of that scene is that Harley, who spends the whole movie looking for someone to submit to completely, thinks the ultimate form of control over her is the ideal american nuclear family. It says less about the messaging and more about you that this is what you respond to.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

well why not posted:

those 'inner desires' were false.

It's not that they were false, it's that being in the Squad and working under Waller has beat into them the idea that they are monsters and they do not deserve good things. Harley rejects the Enchantress' offer because it's a reality where she and the Joker are "normal".

The whole point of the Squad is that it enables these people to be their worst selves, and that means those inner desires are, ultimately, irrelevant.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Drifter posted:

They were "in that squad" for all of maybe 3 hours total. They knew Waller for all of two days. Being in the Squad enables them in absolutely no ways because there wasn't any time to influence them. Their time in prison/their own years+ experiences as criminals is what has beat into them their ideals.

obviously when I say the Squad I mean the whole Belle Reve operation you dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Also, you do know imagination filling in the gaps is how all art has worked ever, right? "Oh, you found meaning in this juxtaposition of sounds and pictures" is not the hot burn you seem to think it is. The interest of any given reading is discutable, and as a matter of fact it is discussed, but you should try doing it sometimes! It's fun!

• Locked thread