Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I would contend that Leto being an insufferable piece of poo poo re: his approach to playing the Joker is, in fact, extremely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

MorgaineDax posted:

If this movie is half as entertaining as the DC Cinematic subreddit is right now, I'll be well pleased.

I feel like the funniest part of this poo poo is that they're melting down over like what, high 40's on metacritic? I could understand if they were super hyped for this movie and literally every critic is saying zero stars, worst of 2016, avoid at all costs. But like... holy poo poo, what would've happened if these folks cared about critic aggregation back when they first got real into Boondock Saints

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

What are you even saying here? That it's wrong to voice the idea that movies you dislike are terrible and explaining why you find them bad or why you hate the process of how they are made is conceited?

Remember that time when SMG began every sentence with "In my opinion," to gently caress with people

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What are superhero comics for other than grand statements made in questionable taste?

Kitty Pryde would like to have a conversation about race in America,

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't recall any helicopters being involved in Benghazi

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Oh well, Mission City would be a better name. But "Midway" carries pretty much the same connotations.

"Mission City", specifically, is from Transformers

Something I appreciated was how at the end, when Enchantress is showing everyone the fantasy visions, Harley sees this scenario of her and the Joker living in the suburbs with a kid... except he's still looking like an American Psycho-assed motherfucker. It's a nicely understated way of illustrating that Harley's wish isn't actually for any kind of stable and routine domestic bliss, but for her and the Joker's immorality to be the kind that gets glossed over or even condoned by broader society

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm... Google Image Search is telling me...... no

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
And, AND, and this part is important, he also does a powerbomb

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
And of course, the punchline to all the Most Twisted Joker Ever marketing hype is that this is pretty much the most subdued and reasonable we've ever seen from an on-screen portrayal of the character. The dude's pretty much a crime boss - a violent and eccentric crime boss with a flair for the dramatic, but a crime boss. He has guys who report in to him about practical goals, and maybe he might blow one of them away if he feels he's been disrespected, but that's nothing that, say, Tony Montana wouldn't do

The scene where the suit-wearing lieutenant briefs him on the Harley situation in his Look At My poo poo room is probably the key to the character: he's surrounded by all this gaudy excess, but it's obsessively and meticulously arranged gaudy excess, and all he can do with it is lie down and let out a weary, insincere laugh. It's a performance by the character, and not even one he really enjoys or is very good at unless he has someone like Harley to share it with. I was pretty let down at first by this Joker because I was hoping he'd be constantly tossing around some faux-profound, faux-disturbing insights about how maybe the real madhouse is society, but he turned out to be compellingly pathetic in an entirely different way

And like, he's just one facet of that recurring theme of limited imagination and self-drawn boundaries. An evil maniacal clown who just acts like the head of a Gotham crime organization. An ancient Central American fire god who just acts like a mid-level banger. And so on. Killer Crocodile is like six steps ahead of these folks at all times

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That scene was so awkward because can you imagine it in real life? Like they get all ready to leave then he has to lay down and laugh for a while? I just imagine the lieutenant just standing off camera like looking at his watch or pulling out his phone or something waiting for him to be actually ready to go after all the time they took setting like 50 ipads not to go to sleep so he could make a cool circle out of them.

It's absolutely the experience of working with a boss who's like probably a genius at the specific thing he does, but who's also convinced he's the next Steve Jobs and expects everyone to constantly put up with his time-wasting faux-visionary horseshit

Part of why I'm sad that the clip with Harley tending bar got cut is that the Joker essentially surrounds himself with an army of service employees - bodyguards, mascots, an executive assistant, etc. - and that bit frames Harley as the ur-service employee

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Remember when a production still surfaced of Deadshot in the long leather coat that he's wearing when he's shopping with his daughter and Batman jumps him

And I think it was Judakel had a meltdown about how he was dressed like a pimp

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nobody was at any point convinced that you knew what you were talking about.

Honestly, what this is making me think of is how every time someone does a long parody meltdown post with the stated goal of "See, I can post meaningless theory poo poo just like SMG does!", their writing style is nothing like yours. Which is weird, because it's not like you don't have a style that's very distinctive, easy to mimic, easy to make fun of, and-so-on

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"secret genius" comes up a lot, as if you need to be some kind of a savant to write a novel or make a film.

Michael Bay has been making super-broad satires for years and years now, to the extent that it's a completely valid critique to say "Bay's satires are too broad, petty, and repetitive to actually have any bite". But mention that Bay likes to do satires and you've just crowned him King Secret Genius

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like what you just brought up has a lot to do with why CelticPredator owns, in that while he and I are on the opposite side the discussion for a lot of movies, he doesn't do that thing where folks cover their ears and deny the existence of really basic narrative and cinematographic techniques and inevitably get very upset at Slavoj Zizek. He just readily understands that his priorities for these movies are a lot different than a bunch of other goons', and that the points they bring up, while not invalid, are sorta perpendicular to how he approaches a popcorn movie

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh I knew the kickflip one was fake, I was just talking about the ones of him aimlessly tooling around

Thesis: Look at this pic of Ledger kickflipping over Batman in full costume
Antithesis: Actually that's a photoshop
Synthesis: Yes, but he actually did skate around in costume between takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
There's just one more thing, Helsing... if using an oft-repeated narrative tool or plot element is bad, why is Columbo the greatest TV show of all time? That's the one thing I can't figure out...

• Locked thread