Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Straight from SDCC

https://amp.twimg.com/v/b5850ed0-905a-4631-abab-2d09a7127a4d

EDIT: and the YT version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Xb9BhfVjY

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Empire covers

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/757556471840202752

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
A supposed cast list has showed up on the internet that claims there's a second Justice League member in the movie Flash

I doubt is real but is an interesting possibility nonetheless.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Reason posted:

Wasn't this movie supposed to come out forever ago?

Nah, it has always been scheduled to come out on August 5th.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From a Q&A done on Friday

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/759086882676498432

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/759087993281978368

King Shark was considered for the movie but Ayer didn't feel confident about having a full CG character in the movie so he went with Croc instead. And there might be a post credits scene.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

So how's this movie in terms of portraying Joker and Harley's relationship? Is it overtly abusive or is that not really explored?

I haven't seen the movie but I've seen many reviews and impressions saying this version of the Joker is genuinely interested (some go so far to say he's in love) in Harley.

Neurolimal posted:

To add to the spoiler about their purpose: it's extra silly that movie SS are supposed to be metahuman counters considering, you know, most of them are in prison because they got beat by a metahuman.

Batman is no metahuman tho

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So how about all the cast having some fun during the UK premiere?

https://twitter.com/SuicideSquadHQ/status/760913149772107776

https://twitter.com/DCTurkiye_/status/760903330260451329

https://twitter.com/bestofcavill/status/760937367700209664

And hey, at least Patty Jenkins liked the movie :v:

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/760980058127339520
https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/760980940294422528

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Weird. Here in Mexico we have just two big theater chains, and today one of them has publicly stated they won't be projecting Suicide Squad at all due differences with Universal Pictures Mexico (for some reason they handle WB's releases here in Mexico, or at least that is what I'm told)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, apparently these are the scenes that were removed from the final cut

-A love triangle between Deadshot, Harley Quinn and Joker that was scrapped in favor of a relationship between Joker and Harley and a friendship between Deadshot and her

-In early cuts, the movie opened with June Moon being possessed by the Enchantress. After reshoots, this was replaced by Deadshot's introduction, and the Enchantress' possession was reshuffled to later in the movie as a flashback.

-Extended Batmobile chase scene with more interaction between Joker and Harley, including Harley joking "I hope you have insurance" and Joker punching the roof of his car.

-Deadshot in his cell, reminiscing about his daughter.

-El Diablo in his cell, contemplating his life choices while observing a lit match, which he then blows out.

-El Diablo using his powers in his containment unit.

-Reportedly more racist and sexist remarks by Boomerang. His encounter with the Flash was added in reshoots, using available footage from the original version in which he is captured by the police. Jai Courtney and Ezra Miller were never on set together.

-Reportedly more on Killer Croc's traumatic childhood as a social outcast, his aspirations to seize control of Gotham's criminal underworld, his past history with Batman while working as a hired muscle for other mobsters and his talent to create kitty sculptures.

-Croc throwing up half-digest pieces of goat meat on the helicopter ride to Midway City to the disgust of the nearby Navy Seals.

-Reportedly a brief line establishing Slipknot as a serial rapist.

-More scenes of Rick Flag and June Moon's relationship, including him talking to her about the members of the Suicide Squad.

-Extended version of Joker interrogating Captain Griggs, including the line "I can't wait to show you my toys", which was removed from the movie.

-Extended version of the Joker and his men attacking the nanobomb facility and killing the scientists.

-Harley using her baseball bat at a mock rifle.

-Harley intercepts the Joker and his men after they shoot up a restaurant. Joker bangs his head against the window in frustration. Leads directly into Harley pointing a gun at the Joker's head. He urges her to fire, but she doesn't, so The Joker slaps Harley, then charms her again and they make up.

-Extended version of the Enchantress confronting Waller at the war room, including the line "let's do something fun", which was removed from the movie.

-Reportedly extended interactions between Harley and Boomerang, whom Harley can't stand.

-Extended version of Joker and Harley at Ace Chemicals before Harley jumps into the vat of chemicals. Adds more dialogue.

-Extended version of the helicopter rescue where Joker and Harley argue. Reportedly, in early cuts he pushes her out of the helicopter out of cruelty, and after reshoots he does it to protect her from the impending crash.

-Extended version of the Suicide Squad at the bar, with Harley serving everyone drinks. Deadshot drinks vodka, Katana drinks whisky, Croc and Boomer drink beer and Diablo settles for water, which Harley believes is a good idea. In the final cut the scene cuts directly to Deadshot's speech about almost pulling it off.

-Katana trapping souls ahead of the final battle.

-Katana's eyes becoming white. Context is unknown.

-Croc attacking Katana in the subway. Context is unknown.

-Brief moment of Boomerang stopping after running away from the bar, realizing he needs to help and going back.

-The Joker intercepts and confronts the squad on the subway to get Harley back. Reportedly leads to a shootout between Deadshot and Joker where Deadshot spares Joker out of respect for Harley. She decides not to go with Joker and he escapes on his own, leaving the others to die.

-The stinger featuring Bruce Wayne was also added in reshoots.

If those are true, the movie really got butchered during editing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Slim Killington posted:

What bothered me the most is that during this catastrophic event that escalates into full military response, with satellites and naval carriers being destroyed and poo poo, there's not a single presence of any real superhero to try and stop it, and not even so much as an explanation. Yes they hand-wave off Superman in the first act but seriously nobody else that's a superhero took notice of worldwide destruction coming from the middle of a city?

Going by the stinger, there aren't actual superheroes yet

Flash is still doing things in small scale and trying to be more or less ignored, Aquaman doesn't give a poo poo, Cyborg is stil learning to use his powers while Batman and WW are busy searching for them in the first place

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well, this version of Bruce has sort of a tunnel vision regarding his goals so he's more interested on getting the league ready to take on Apokolips than in a baddie popping out in a random city. Diana on the other hand is following Bruce's lead so yeah.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And the hits don't stop coming. Now is pretty unlikely the film will open in China

quote:

The Warner Bros. tentpole has yet to receive a release date in China, and sources close to the decision-making process in Beijing say it appears increasingly unlikely to get the official nod.

According to people familiar with the matter, China Film Group, the state-backed distributor that handles the import of all foreign films, hasn't put the movie on its internal release calendar, which is typically set at least two months in advance. "They think this is not a good film to release in China," a Chinese executive said without elaborating.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkqyIoYAXV8

I don't really like the song but I do like more of Leto's Joker.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Just got back from seeing this, is an enjoyable movie and certainly not the awful dreck some reviews make it to be but is unambitious and pretty formulaic. There's no real interest from the filmakers to make this movie something deep and challenging as it was the case with BvS.

In that sense it works perfectly as a comic book film since the whole time I felt as it I was reading and oversized first issue of a new comic book series, with the same jumps in logic and oversized cast that entails. This by itself is not a bad thing mind you, but it is somewhat dissapointing as follow up to BvS

For what is worth, my showing was packed and the whole audience was having a good time. Lots of laughs, people humming the music and Diablo in particular got many really pumped during his big moment.

I really enjoyed all the characters, Joker in particular was the one that I thought stole the show everytime he showed up. Leto managed a really unsettling presence on his first scenes and it made easily believable this was the same guy that murdered Robin and desecrated his costume just to get at Batman. While it was a shame he got so little screentime, it was interesting the way he was following his own plot, entirely separated from the main one. In a sense, he felt a little as WW was during her early scenes in BvS, if nothing else he got me really pumped to see him have a proper meeting with Batfleck in a future movie.

I don't have a real attachement for Harley's character but I found that Margot Robbie did an excellent job with the role. She got a great balance between genuinely amusing moments and being irritating every now and then.

Will Smith owned the Deadshot role although I cannot deny a lot of that stem from being Will Smith. His character arc while predictable and filled with cliches was enjoyable and he alongside Robbie carried most of the film by themselves.

Kinnaman as Flagg was good but nothing really impressive. However, he worked pretty well as counterpart to Smith and Robbie's characters.

Diablo was the surprise of the film. Although having a relatively small role, he made every scene count and his backstory worked pretty well to set him up as the token good teammate of the squad. Plus, his transformation into an aztec god was pretty drat cool And as a fellow mexican myself I didn't find nothing offensive from his portrayal. Although Chato Santana is a loving stupid name, chato is a nickname in spanish not a name.

Enchantress was a pretty generic bad guy but visually was pretty memorable and worked pretty well as first big bad for the team. I have to wonder if there's a connection between her and Diablo though, her headdress looked conspicuously similar to the Aztec Calendar. Incubus looked loving stupid though.

Croc, Katana and Boomerang were pretty underused but overall were very enjoyable in their few scenes. Katana stood out to me for the moment where she arrived to the squad's chopper. Katana walking calmly towards the chopper with the sunset as background was a pretty cool visual.

I've never been a fan of Waller so I actually enjoyed the way the film make clear she was way over the head and pretty much everything was her fault. That said, Viola Davis was a great choice for the character.

Batman and Flash were a cool addition and one the helped to cement the DCEU as a whole but aside of cool looking they didn't really added something substancial to the plot so they could've been cut easily.

But if there's a bunch of characters totally uneeded, is the second team of marines and Scott Eastwood's characters. I have to wonder if there was a expanded role for them because as it stands cutting them would've given Ayer the chance to expand on Croc, Boomerang and Katana's characters.

If there's something that it really bothered me from the film was the way pretty much all the cool scenes from the trailers weren't included in the final cut. Is just a baffling decision.

Overall, it was an enjoyable movie but completly skippable.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I saw the stinger more as Batman taking a page from Waller's playbook and only helping her to have some leverage against her.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

One thing that is still confusing me is how did Harley Quinn have a cell phone with her to keep in touch with the Joker?

The chief guard slipped it to her when she was leaving Belle Reve

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BillmasterCozb posted:

The dumbest, worst part of the movie was Diablo suddenly turning into an Aztec war god out of nowhere with no explanation as to why the hell it happened, and even then THAT doesn't kill Enchantress' lovely brother, a loving bomb does!

Explaining that was the whole point of his scene at the bar.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I Before E posted:

Honestly the action scenes would probably be a drat sight better if you just got rid of the drat blue fog covering everything.

I liked the movie and I even have to admit the two scenes were they fought against Enchantress' mooks were by far the weakest part of the movie. The only highlights being the moments Deadshot and Diablo get to show off their skills.

On the other hand, the actual fight against Enchantress and Diablo's fight with Incubus were pretty cool

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It feels weird how far this movie went to "DON'T WORRY, EVERYONE IS EVACUATED" like every super hero movie has to do now, since there was literally never a time either the protagonists or antagonists ever really did anything that threatened the city they were in particularly much.

Everyone BUT Waller I mean, that is why the Squad is in the city in the first place :v:

You know that actually makes me wonder if the Squad was indeed deployed only to extract a VIP or if Waller hijacked the whole operation for her own ends.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BillmasterCozb posted:

or maybe jared leto just always looks like that

Nah, he continued doing that weird move with the neck.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Barry Convex posted:

THR reported basically the same thing in their story last week, though.

Where?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

Aside of an offhand mention of additional photography needed, the article only says the movie had different cuts based on early reactions by test audiences. Hardly a confirmation to Faraci's claims.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Magnetic North posted:

So, part way through the fight with Enchantress, she uses some sort of spell/telekinesis to strip the characters of their weapons, causing them to scatter across the floor between them. Fast forward a minute later, Croc is throwing the bomb, Harley throws her revolver to Deadshot for him to shoot the bomb in mid-air. As all attention is directed at his rising arm... we can prominently see that still attached to the outer portion of his forearm is one of his pistols, which we've seen him fire from this position throughout the movie.

It was clearly shown he used those guns to deflect Enchantress' swords during the fight. The logical conclusion is that they were rendered useless after the fact

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I didn't get that either She just kind of stops at the end there which was weird. She's all I will destroy you then they throw a bomb and she doesn't stop it and they shoot the bomb? Which suddenly stops her from being magic and her not able to just teleport away. I mean maybe if they had shown June fighting against her or something.

Simple, Incubus was dead by that point taking away the boost she had received from him. That is also why she reverted to her Samara-like appearance.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Not simple She's shown back at full power after she get's her heart. She no longer needs her brother's power when he dies is early in the fight and she is still shown to teleport

She always could teleport and when Incubus is killed her machine fails. She had to focus to make it work again. After doing that is when she reverts to her creepy form and begins to fight physically against the squad.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kurzon posted:

Well, this takes place far from the Mexican border.

Er, you do know really powerful crime leaders are able to pull off all kind of poo poo regardless the country, right?

Speaking of Leto's Joker

IGN posted:

We spoke to Leto while he was doing the promotion rounds for Suicide Squad, and asked what his version of the super-villain would make of Superman.

“Ah, 'Who?' That would probably be his answer. 'Super-who? Superboy? He sounds cute. Tights? A cape?' "

“Superman seems like a lot of fun though for the Joker. The Joker and Superman would be interesting to see onscreen because Superman’s so stoic and morally centred. I think that the Joker would really enjoy that.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/09/jared-leto-says-his-joker-would-enjoy-messing-with-superman

If there's a reason I'd love to see all the deleted scenes is to see more of Leto's Joker, he really nailed the part.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kurzon posted:

I don't know what you were talking about specifically. But some things the Joker does in this movie are still too implausible. Like hanging out in a nightclub while a fugitive in front of dozens of drunk partygoers who could ruin him with one phone call to the cops (fun fact: criminals rat each other out all the time). I've read books on the New York Mafia and the gangsters never discussed crimes in bars or clubs because the FBI had them all bugged. John Gotti and Sammy the Bull would discuss crimes on the sidewalk where the FBI couldn't eavesdrop. But instead Joker is hiding in plain sight and he murders a gangster. Now I know this is a silly superhero story but this is stretching reality a little too far. Even children know that breaking out of prison doesn't void one's conviction. The Adam West Joker had more sense than Leto Joker.

Putting aside we're talking about the loving Joker here. The Ultimate Cut of BvS already showed that the GCPD isn't exactly the most efficient police force in the world and I doubt there are people willing to drop the dime on the Joker around.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Pretty Cool

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Concept art of Joker's goons

:allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You gotta love Leto's enthusiasm for the role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY57u1GzUSU

Oh, and Ayer finally explained the thing about the "damaged" tattoo

David Ayer posted:

"This is sort of my personal thing and maybe less about a larger connection. But Joker killed Robin and Batman basically smashes his teeth out and locks him up in Arkham Asylum. It’s in the asylum where Joker would have done the ‘damaged’ tattoo as a message to Batman saying, 'You’ve damaged me. I was so beautiful before and now you’ve destroyed my face.' That’s where the grill comes from."

He also explains the Squad's mission

David Ayer posted:

"The movie is basically Amanda Waller covering up her mistake, because she was the one that decided to use Enchantress as part of the original core Suicide Squad. Waller deploys her to clean up this entity that appears, which unbeknownst to Amanda is actually Enchantress’s brother. So Enchantress engineers her escape from Amanda Waller and then Waller decides to cover it up by having the Suicide Squad rescue her and get her out of that city. It’s funny because the plot gets deemed as being incredibly simple, but it’s actually extremely complex!"

All in all is an interesting read.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DeimosRising posted:

Also as I think I Before E pointed out, all the members of the Squad are pretty much straight up, blatant stand ins for people hosed over by the US government and military. A Japanese woman dressed in a garish Captain Japan outfit and working as a submissive underling to a US commando is easy to read in that context.

I just want to point out that Katana's costume is a direct reference to Japanese biker gangs or bosozoku

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Junior Jr. posted:

okay I think I'm starting to see the red bow tie but is she actually rocking that biker jacket?

A similar one, yeah.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Binary Logic posted:

I thought the script missed a big opportunity with him. He was fighting the Enchantress, a magic-using mythological figure, and his religion or belief system heritage could have played into the story. Instead of just, "They have powers, I have powers too!" Like, they seemed to be vaguely Egyptian looking, and Diablo could have called upon or derived power from some similar Mayan or Aztec pantheon.
I realize this isn't a big deal with such a fast moving sloppy action flick but I would prefer superhero movies to be a little more than punch punch shoot shoot zap zap.

Uh? Diablo turned into a flaming skeleton dressed in traditional aztec garb, most likely an aztec god.

And as I pointed out before, Enchantress' headress was incredibly similar to the aztec' s Sun stone.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Leto definitely did an amazing work with the role, different enough from previous portrayals but that still understands what makes the character tick. However that difference is also a source of the criticism since for many, is too different.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Eh, I know it's anecdotal but people are really making GBS threads on the guy on Twitter and such...mostly because he took it seriously, got mad his role was cut, and played dumb pranks. Hardly worth the Spanish Inquisition.

Yeah, I definitely feel bad for the guy since he was really pumped for the role. Hopefully the rest of the scenes cut are included on the home release or something.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Black Bones posted:

He comes back for the team-walk! Sure, only because he couldn't find a way out on his own, but it still counts!

I thought that was because he's a boomerang :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Cute

https://twitter.com/KarenFukuhara/status/768601024487645184

:allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

This is on point.

One of Die Antwoord members actually went on a rant on instagram, accusing Ayer of "jocking" their style

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/die-antwoord-accuse-suicide-squad-stealing-style-1201835563/

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well now

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/769007920646279169

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If the multiple japanese artists and mangakas that I follow on twitter are any indication, Japan is loving pumped for the movie.

I wonder why.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

K. Waste posted:

Honestly, seeing the movie dubbed in Japanese might actually be the single thing that pushes me off the fence about it and embraces it as one of the great superhero movies.

Speaking of dubs, I found amusing that the same VA that dubs DIO in Jojo is dubbing Leto's Joker.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
'Suicide Squad' Is Now Leggier Than 'Captain America: Civil War'

quote:

Well, it looks like that whole “August legs” thing I talked about throughout the summer in the lead up to Suicide Squad’s release turned out to be relatively accurate. As noted, yesterday, the Will Smith/Margot Robbie/Viola Davis blockbuster passed a few milestones over its fifth weekend of release.

First of all, it crossed $700 million at the global box office, which is a worthy achievement no matter how you spin it. Second of all, and this is more trivia because of the whole “inflation/3D” thing, the picture surpassed the $306.1m domestic gross of Independence Day to become Will Smith’s biggest domestic hit ever. If you want to play the inflation game, it will be Smith’s third-biggest grosser once it tops the $318m “inflated” gross of I Am Legend ($256m in 2007 and in 2D) behind only Men In Black ($472m) and ID4 ($599.8m).

The other would-be milestone is that the picture has now earned 2.3x its $133.6 million debut weekend at the domestic box office. That means, shockingly enough, it is a leggier picture than Walt Disney’s Captain America: Civil War. Said comic book sequel, which earned solid reviews and decent buzz, made $408m from a $179m debut to kick off this summer season.

Nice.

And also pretty nice that Karen Fukahara would love to delve into Katana's past in a sequel

quote:

“I would love that,” she said about the possibility of reprising the role. “For the first movie I think we did a really good job of showing snippets of each character’s past and history, but it was just a glimpse. And for the sequel I’d like to show a lot more about her relationship with Soutaker, her sword, and her relationship with her husband and where she came from.”

Fukahara, whose role in the DC Extended Universe was her first film, said she didn’t get a script or any indication of the role when she auditioned. She added, “When I found out it was like all hell broke loose.”

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, right now the movie is sitting a 731 millions as worlwide gross. I'm guessing that if the movie would've opened on China that total would be at 900 millions mark at least.

• Locked thread