Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The trigonometry joke at the end of this movie was sublime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
drat, looks like the CineD hivemind is out in full force today.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Helsing posted:

You say this as thought terms like bland, repetitive, stale and cliche are somehow ambiguous or obscure, but of course you know exactly what I'm referring to. Your only maneuver here is to try and pull the entire discussion into the brier patch of obtuse jargon that you rely on in all these discussions and arguments, and every time I sarcastically dismiss your attempts to escape down this route you try to make this dismissal into some kind of signifier of your superior taste in films. But of course you understand, as everyone does, exactly what kind of criticism I'm making. There's no need to elaborate in a dozen sentences something that can be stated in one or two, namely that the same handful of plot points, themes, images and even characters have been recycled yet again.

It's precisely because they're ambiguous or obscure that you can safely deploy them here. No specific part of the movie you actually deign to mention, like that there's a column of blue light or a bunch of faceless monsters, is actually particularly objectionable or damning. You might as well complain about troop transports showing up in a war movie or people going to dinner in a romance. All you end up communicating is that someone somewhere told you you weren't supposed to like the movie.

What's bland, generic, and cliched here is your own posting!

• Locked thread