Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkqePv9i6Yw

On the first day of her second year of high school, shy, self-effacing Naho receives a mysterious letter addressed to herself in her own hand-writing. Opening it, the letter claims to be from her future self, 10 years from now, asking her to help erase all of the regrets the future Naho has from the choices she didn't make in high school.

Naho is initially sceptical of the letter, but when their homeroom teacher starts their day off by introducing a kind, handsome new transfer student called Kakeru - exactly as set out in the letter - she begins to realise that its outlandish claim might actually be true. Knowing that she'll eventually regret her high school life enough to send that letter, Naho decides to follow her future self's requests and do what she can to live a better life - especially since she's starting to fall for Kakeru, and the letter says that in the future, he'll no longer be with them...

Orange is a shoujo/seinen (yes) slice of life romance manga that ran from March 2012 to August 2015 (English translation available in print via Seven Seas and online on Crunchyroll) with a live action film that came out in December last year, and an anime adaptation that is currently airing, also on Crunchyroll: http://www.crunchyroll.com/orange.

If you have any interest in high school slice of life, drama or romance stories with a bit of a sci-fi twist, please watch this show! It's really good so far and really pretty:
https://a.pomf.cat/kgdamb.webm

Also, this is the thread for talking about the anime, so please don't be a dick and post manga spoilers. Thanks!

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've only watched the first two episodes, but Naho seems inherently unlikable and god-drat girl just give him the loving bento already is my impression from those two.

I'll catch ep 3 sometime soon though

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is this ReLIFE from the other gender's eyes?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MJP posted:

And from the other side's eyes in another way. Naho isn't the adult time-traveller trying to lend a bunch of ordinary teenagers a hand, she's the ordinary teenager being bossed around by the adult time-traveller..

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Show is good so far, but at some point it feels like the show is going to keep withholding information unnecessarily as a crutch to artificially generate drama, e.g. this last part about looking in the eraser. The way the scenes were setup and ordered felt lazy, and did not explain or justify her actions in the story's world.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Show is good so far, but at some point it feels like the show is going to keep withholding information unnecessarily as a crutch to artificially generate drama, e.g. this last part about looking in the eraser. The way the scenes were setup and ordered felt lazy, and did not explain or justify her actions in the story's world.

The eraser thing was a twofold lesson after she'd started getting cocky. First off, that life is unpredictable, and that the world won't accommodate you all the time even if you have future knowledge. Second, cute, elaborate little schemes introduce more and more failure points, so you need to nut up and actually talk to people.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've only watched the first two episodes, but Naho seems inherently unlikable and god-drat girl just give him the loving bento already is my impression from those two.

She's shy and indecisive and the half the point of this is that future her is teaching her to get over that. Plus, that's a super common romance trope. :v:

MJP posted:

It's not a comedy and the protagonist isn't an adult.

AnacondaHL posted:

There's nothing artificial about a plot device where a distracted character forgets something they read that morning. I don't get your complaint about the scenes' setup/ordering "not explaining her actions." :confused:

Also: the show is supposed to be a mystery, where you slowly find out what happened in the future via Naho slowly progressing through the letter.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Loving this story so far.

I love the idea of giving your past-self advice: what would you say? What wouldn't you? Would the you in the past even listen? Should they listen? Do you know so much?

As Naho herself says, and learns: changing yourself is easier said than done.

Anyway, Kakeru's letter really kind of nailed how depression can be; nothing but good wishes for your friends in their future, no future for yourself.

And I dig the animation style, it doesn't always land properly, but it mostly looks amazing so i don't even care.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
Man I am loving this show. It manages to be really melancholy without being the sad show where sad things happen.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

The eraser thing was a twofold lesson after she'd started getting cocky. First off, that life is unpredictable, and that the world won't accommodate you all the time even if you have future knowledge. Second, cute, elaborate little schemes introduce more and more failure points, so you need to nut up and actually talk to people.

Those are fine lessons and all, but my problem is with how they were delivered, if at all. Basically, I'm blaming the storyboard for being subpar.

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's nothing artificial about a plot device where a distracted character forgets something they read that morning. I don't get your complaint about the scenes' setup/ordering "not explaining her actions." :confused:

See that's the thing: that's not what actually happened. You just filled in the blanks with whatever you wanted to try and make sense of the scene, which is admittedly almost what happened to me at first. But if you think about it, simply saying "she forgot what she read that morning" doesn't even make sense in the story's world. More on that below.

Here's what actually happens:

She clearly remembers to give him the pencil and eraser, and executes this task. No problem. The show then shows the audience shots of the notebook saying to do this. At this point, we have no frame of reference for how important this is, which is fine so far. She begins an internal dialogue about whether it's unfair for her to feel this way (about him not dating the other girl) and wonders what to do.

Then we see him hand back the eraser, and then the next line of the notebook, stating very particular and not-intuitive instructions. Nothing up to this point would indicate that she could have possibly missed this or not treated this with at least a skeptical eye. And then what happens? She doesn't forget to look at the eraser; the scene jumps to her immediately about to open the eraser cover,... and then she gets distracted by the request to do cleaning duty. So us the audience are like, oh, ok, maybe it wasn't that important, or it could be like the very first day where the letter was brief and didn't describe the consequences properly-... and then the letter is shown to go into detail, more detail than ever before, about what would happen if she screwed this up.

So the audience is framed here to be like "wait, how is there any chance in hell she could have messed this up or forgotten if the letter went into this much detail about what would happen and the consequences, unlike anything prior? And the letter has been spot on correct in every case (which her character confirms internally at the start of this very episode) except arguably one, so why is she ignoring this yet again? Just check the eraser, isn't that the clear 1st priority?" And the answer is this shouldn't have happened this way, because this segment was not put together in a solid way.

Moving forward, there's not even a shot of her being all "oh crap, I just forgot this super important thing I was supposed to do", it just suddenly cuts to her already going back for it, with no sense of time elapse or anything. She whips open the eraser case immediately; no pause for concern that once again the letter was right and there was in fact a super important note in there. Zero build up (aside from the music track) to the moment they finally decide to show her reaction, where she reads the note.

The resolution at least makes sense in the story's world: in her panic and/or shyness she neglects to actually "tell him how you really feel" as per the letter's instructions, and makes an assumption that a shoe locker note would be sufficient to change the future.

So to summarize, we the audience are led to believe that despite pondering this letter day and night (literally shown in bed and at various times through the school day thinking about the letter), that somehow she incorrectly prioritized the most important and urgent and detailed part of the letter... underneath completing her classroom cleaning duty. This doesn't make sense given what the story has provided, and the only reason this sequence could even occur was because the audience was unnecessarily withheld from information; the sentences of the letter being shown intertwined between scenes that were not put together well. This is the generation of artificial drama.

While this all seems very picky, the show hinges on her interaction with the words of the letter, which up to this point had been handled pretty good, but this was noticeably subpar, and I'm not sure if the show can afford any more of these without going into "eh, screw it, just toss a bunch of feels at the audience and gloss over it" mode, which is not something I'm interested in watching.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 22, 2016

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The way I saw it was that she was successful in telling him how she felt about what he asked.

I am under the assumption that, like every other instance, she did nothing the first time. So in that case it would be:
She didn't read the note -> Senpai asks him out and he said yes -> she found out about the note but did nothing because it was too late -> ???

This time:
She read the note -> she responds to his question with her note -> Senpai asks him out and he said yes -> he reads her note which was a big NO. -> ???

First case he has no idea how she feels, this time its different. He's going out with senpai either way but he knows how she feels this time.

--

That aside, the realization at the time capsule after reading the letter was a punch to the gut. :smith:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Moving forward, there's not even a shot of her being all "oh crap, I just forgot this super important thing I was supposed to do", it just suddenly cuts to her already going back for it, with no sense of time elapse or anything.

You're right, I forgot the specifics and assumed that she forgets about part of the note. She doesn't, because the show is consistent about how she's portrayed and what decisions she makes, and is better for it.

Here is the scene you're talking about :

https://u.pomf.is/knhqem.webm

First off, the cleaning montage conveys a sense of elapsed time just fine, and her running back to class and hurriedly pulling out the eraser also conveys a sense of urgency perfectly well. :shrug:

Secondly: Naho's defining character traits are that she's shy and that she prioritises other people's happiness over her own. The start of that scene provides us with good reasons for why things happen the way they do.

She's going back and forth on whether she "deserves" to let Kakeru know how she feels rather than letting him date the cool, mature senpai that he previously said he found attractive (which is mostly her making up an excuse to dodge out of having to confess to Kakeru). She then gets called away to clean, which the show implies she's using to justify not opening the erasing cover to herself. Eventually, like in multiple previous cases so far, she realises that she actually wants to find out what the note says after all, rather than procrastinating so she can not look at it until she knows she's too late. She looks at the eraser, and then she immediately runs out of the classroom to go answer his question... via a note in his shoe locker, because she's still Naho.

That last part is literally the entire point: she's changing, but she's changing gradually. Present-day Naho is self-effacing and this leads to her adult self having a boatload of regrets about her high school experience, which leads her to send a letter back to help Naho break out of her shell, but this isn't an instant thing. Present-day Naho is still fundamentally the same person she was at that moment in future-Naho's past, and thus continues to be indecisive about the whole thing. And in case that wasn't extra clear from everything that's happened so far in the show, she even spends part of the episode talking about how she thinks she might be able to change the future slightly.

AnacondaHL posted:

While this all seems very picky, the show hinges on her interaction with the words of the letter, which up to this point had been handled pretty good, but this was noticeably subpar, and I'm not sure if the show can afford any more of these without going into "eh, screw it, just toss a bunch of feels at the audience and gloss over it" mode, which is not something I'm interested in watching.

You seem to forget that you're dealing with a shy 16 year old school girl who is actively not committed to following the letter's instructions because they take her out of her comfort zone. She's not future-Naho who travelled back in time armed with a burning desire to change the past, she's a kid who doesn't like to draw attention to herself, making the initial decision to change herself because of the letter, and then struggling with that decision.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 22, 2016

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

You're right, I forgot the specifics and assumed that she forgets about part of the note. She doesn't, because the show is consistent about how she's portrayed and what decisions she makes, and is better for it.

Here is the scene you're talking about :

https://u.pomf.is/knhqem.webm

First off, the cleaning montage conveys a sense of elapsed time just fine, and her running back to class and hurriedly pulling out the eraser also conveys a sense of urgency perfectly well. :shrug:

Secondly: Naho's defining character traits are that she's shy and that she prioritises other people's happiness over her own. The start of that scene provides us with good reasons for why things happen the way they do.

She's going back and forth on whether she "deserves" to let Kakeru know how she feels rather than letting him date the cool, mature senpai that he previously said he found attractive (which is mostly her making up an excuse to dodge out of having to confess to Kakeru). She then gets called away to clean, which the show implies she's using to justify not opening the erasing cover to herself. Eventually, like in multiple previous cases so far, she realises that she actually wants to find out what the note says after all, rather than procrastinating so she can not look at it until she knows she's too late. She looks at the eraser, and then she immediately runs out of the classroom to go answer his question... via a note in his shoe locker, because she's still Naho.

That last part is literally the entire point: she's changing, but she's changing gradually. Present-day Naho is self-effacing and this leads to her adult self having a boatload of regrets about her high school experience, which leads her to send a letter back to help Naho break out of her shell, but this isn't an instant thing. Present-day Naho is still fundamentally the same person she was at that moment in future-Naho's past, and thus continues to be indecisive about the whole thing. And in case that wasn't extra clear from everything that's happened so far in the show, she even spends part of the episode talking about how she thinks she might be able to change the future slightly.

You seem to forget that you're dealing with a shy 16 year old school girl who is actively not committed to following the letter's instructions because they take her out of her comfort zone. She's not future-Naho who travelled back in time armed with a burning desire to change the past, she's a kid who doesn't like to draw attention to herself, making the initial decision to change herself because of the letter, and then struggling with that decision.

We're on the same page, and I agree with the implied outcomes you describe, and no I haven't forgotten that the main character is a 16 y/o girl. I'm stating that these implications were executed poorly. I'm not calling out the concept or the source material, I'm calling out the Director and/or editor and/or storyboarder for executing the ideas poorly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thanks for making this thread. I don't really watch anime anymore, but I read a lot of manga during slow points at work, so I binged most of it last night and finished it up a few minutes ago. I know you said it's the anime thread and not the manga thread, but I'd like to talk about that too, properly tagged and all, since I read the series due to this thread in the first place. I had actually skipped it when I've seen it pop up on various sites because I mistook it for a different series that I had passed on (orange marmalade...i think?).

Manga spoilers, though nothing too in-depth(I have tagged the entirety of any actual discussion of the goings on in the series itself, so just skip the block of black to avoid it): this series without a doubt captures depression, trauma, suicidal thoughts and also the repercussions of being close to someone who killed themselves or worse, may have seemingly killed themselves due to an action of yours, better than any other series I have watched or read. It's really staggering how well kakeru's crippling depression and trauma is portrayed in this. The fake smile. The occasional dead eyes before regaining his mask. The lashing out and feeling that he is a burden on others no matter what they say. The running away, the psychotic break, everything is so accurately portrayed that I have to believe the author is speaking either from self experience, or from knowing someone who has gone through similar issues. While it is unfortunate that the series had to have a supernatural hook to be able to deliver it's message, and the explanation for it was rather goofy, it did the job well enough and allowed them to really dig into kakeru's problems in a way that I imagine it would have been considerably harder to write otherwise.

I also greatly enjoyed the brevity of it. Problems arose and were solved within a couple chapters, usually, as opposed to being dragged out forever. Characters were extremely strong and the writing was smart, the humor was a good balance to the darker aspects, and it didn't drag out the ending needlessly. It might not handle depression particularly well in a "okay characters, this is depression, please understand how it works" fashion at times, but considering this is from Japan, a country which has been historically the worst at dealing with this sort of thing, the rise and prominence of series such as this in the last decade is heartening at least as a first step.

A must-read, definitely going into my recommendations list. Exceptionally good. Rarely has a manga been able to emotionally affect me in such a way, but I definitely teared up quite a bit over the course of reading it, whether due to personal experience or knowing people who have gone through similar troubles.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 22, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anaconda, if the anime isn't doing it for you, maybe try the manga. It's quite well written and while it does have some of the gripes you mentioned, it's not a long series so any problems don't get dragged out for a dozen chapters.

Edit: the chapters on crunchyroll seem to have some hosed up pages though, with repeats of earlier pages replacing other ones midchapter.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 22, 2016

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

That's a bug in the reader, go back to the previous page, exit the chapter, and go back in. It's happened to me with other series.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This show is really cute and I'm happy by how much I'm enjoying it when the initial premise didn't really do it for me on paper. Don't know if I'll keep watching it as it airs, but it's a nice side thing to break up reading Berserk with and I'll probably read the manga at some point.

a kitten posted:

Anyway, Kakeru's letter really kind of nailed how depression can be; nothing but good wishes for your friends in their future, no future for yourself. .
God yeah, loving this. That part really resonated with me and was cool to see.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, let me say that if the anime isn't doing it for you, the manga most definitely us genuinely good, only 22 chapters, and has a definitive, not rushed ending. If nothing else, you should read it, it doesn't take very long.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Episode four punching me in the nose and I'm only a minute in to it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I wonder who it could be, Naho you silly, shy, cute doofus.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

a kitten posted:

I wonder who it could be, Naho you silly, shy, cute doofus.

I honestly hope it isn't Naho. Suwa's been a bro, he deserves happiness. Give Kakeru the "I would have clocked her one" black-haired girl.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

https://u.pomf.is/qsoqex.webm

I finally had the time to watch the episode today and I love how this show uses music and montages so much.

Also, god drat it Naho. :argh:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 26, 2016

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Did Naho read the entire letter upon receiving it? It seems like that would be the natural thing to do. So do I understand correctly that the show is gradually bringing up the relevant parts of the letter every episode? And that it isn't Noho reading the letter bit by bit?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The answer
No, she didn't. She's reading it as she goes because she's clinically stupid.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxVPPy5w9NA

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's a letter magically from the future. Maybe it's magically impossible to read ahead in it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nielsm posted:

It's a letter magically from the future. Maybe it's magically impossible to read ahead in it.

It would be super cool if we get a scene of words appearing on the page as certain events pass by.

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014
Either way I think that it's a great time travel show so far, but it's not steins;gate, it's more of a magical realism show, and I think that it is much less important to deliver a tightly logical story in that kind of show.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Sir Mopalot posted:

Either way I think that it's a great time travel show so far, but it's not steins;gate, it's more of a magical realism show, and I think that it is much less important to deliver a tightly logical story in that kind of show.

I'm not sure it actually is a time travel show, frankly.

Given how often Naho fails to change things, I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's all just an autistic child's dream (ie. it's purely "future"-Naho's imagination trying to figure out what decisions she made in her relationship with Kakeru and how they might have changed things, as well as where she would have been unable to overcome her personality-defects to do what she knows is right.

After all, the first decision is "Send Kakeru home to stop his mother from killing herself" which, if it had been successful, would have completely derailed the story as we now know it.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

After all, the first decision is "Send Kakeru home to stop his mother from killing herself" which, if it had been successful, would have completely derailed the story as we now know it.

Seriously. Don't invite him to hang out. Seriously. For realsies. Don't. No. For serious.

--

Actually I think its more along the lines of preventing the "If only I wasn't hanging out with them I could have saved her" train of thought and guilt.

Reminded me of My Love Story where Suna felt bad hanging around the CD store instead of going home when his dad passed out. He was blaming himself pretty bad for how things went down until Takeo snapped him out of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The explanation for the premise of the series is decent, and I will say for a fact that it's definitely not An Autistic Child Staring At A Snowglobe-levels of copout.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I like the episodes out so far. It's odd but I really hope Naho manages to change the future even though I feel like it never works out well in time travel stories.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Naho: Sure! we can all walk home together:kiddo:
Naho's friends: :doh:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Orange, why do you hurt me so?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
This episode impressed me in addressing all of my lingering concerns from the previous episode. Makes me feel like I'm more or less on the same wavelength with the author/showrunner, something that doesn't happen terribly frequently with Shoujo shows.

I still feel a little weird about the possibility of Naho losing her life-partner and child over the guy she had a crush on for a few months in high school (who happens to be depressive, impulsive, and totally at home making full use of other peoples's kindness, which might not be the best blend of personality traits for a happy future for Naho herself), but at least they've made it clear that it's not erasing that existence in the metaphysics of the show, so much as creating another future in which Kakeru has the chance at a happy and productive future.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????

Kytrarewn posted:

This episode impressed me in addressing all of my lingering concerns from the previous episode. Makes me feel like I'm more or less on the same wavelength with the author/showrunner, something that doesn't happen terribly frequently with Shoujo shows.

I still feel a little weird about the possibility of Naho losing her life-partner and child over the guy she had a crush on for a few months in high school (who happens to be depressive, impulsive, and totally at home making full use of other peoples's kindness, which might not be the best blend of personality traits for a happy future for Naho herself), but at least they've made it clear that it's not erasing that existence in the metaphysics of the show, so much as creating another future in which Kakeru has the chance at a happy and productive future.

It feels like Kakeru's statement about wanting to travel to the past was kind of foreboding that maybe things will turn out exactly or mostly the same in the future but at least Naho will live her life with fewer regrets knowing that she at least tried her best to save him. Or maybe Kakeru lives on but their love doesn't last and she ends up with Suwa anyway.......which is still a little weird, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

abgushte badamjan posted:

Or maybe Kakeru lives on but their love doesn't last and she ends up with Suwa anyway.......which is still a little weird, yeah.

I haven't read the manga but I feel like this is the most likely scenario. I mean, most people in HS tend to not be together years or years later right?

• Locked thread