Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I was expecting an anime about this suave motherfucker:

Alas, disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm three episodes behind now, so I can marathon them next week and avoid the cliffhangers. :v:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
My current worry: The more the future-people team up, the more obvious it will become to Kakeru that the others are doing something without him/about him. That realization might cause some unproductive thoughts to lodge in Kakeru's mind

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

I had a similar thought earlier in the show. Everyone is working with the best intentions, but sometimes they are a little less than subtle about how they approach Kakeru.

Also, this week was like the least sad episode so far, the ending was downright happy. I'm worried because something has to happen next episode to return us to the status quo of depressed, that or they're building for one big sad at the end.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
New episode looked kind of weird, maybe they ran out of time at the end.

However I approve of Hagita's drawn-on abs.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
drat, Suwa's such a super nice guy. It must've stung when they were at the restaurant and azusa said how she'd hope to see naho and kakeru like that 10 years from now.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:vince:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Ah, a rape joke, how epic.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Going forward, despite the historical ties to our subforum name, I would appreciate less rape jokes in ADTRW.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

New episode looked kind of weird, maybe they ran out of time at the end.

However I approve of Hagita's drawn-on abs.

Uh yeah, there was a ton of off-model frames, and a general lack of animation in many scenes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Okay, I finally have the time to start catching up on Orange, since I'm a month behind.

Kakeru has officially found the least smooth way to try to get a girl to say she likes him, and also:

It's you, you idiot. :argh:

I've missed these dumb goofs. :allears:

e; I can't believe it worked and then he didn't ask her.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 31, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I wonder if it's possible for there be a romantic anime where all of the characters involved have learned basic communication skills.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm a few eps behind, but i don't really begrudge the anxiety-ridden teen and suicidally depressive teen having emotional communication issues.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SweetBro posted:

I wonder if it's possible for there be a romantic anime where all of the characters involved have learned basic communication skills.

I think by the end of it you'll understand, hopefully

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

dogsicle posted:

i'm a few eps behind, but i don't really begrudge the anxiety-ridden teen and suicidally depressive teen having emotional communication issues.

I don't begrudge anyone, I'm just wondering why every romantic anime I watch has Romeo and Juliet levels of communication issues.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because it would be over pretty quick if they didn't.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SweetBro posted:

I don't begrudge anyone, I'm just wondering why every romantic anime I watch has Romeo and Juliet levels of communication issues.

Perhaps, josei? It's not 100% solved but it gets better. Sometimes I don't read shoujo because it'll be 100 volumes of Who Does He/She Like?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SweetBro posted:

Half the point of romance manga is usually to torture readers with will-they-or-won't-they, because that's always fun (in small doses), so it kind of comes with the territory. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SweetBro posted:

Read yandere kanojo, they get together as fast as possible without already having been going out since before the series started

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also, jitsu wa watashi wa has actual romance in it and while it does have the will he won't he stuff for a bit, they do eventually get together and it's glorious. And also cute, and dumb.

There is also a secondary romance going on right now between two other characters and it's absolutely fantastic and I hope everything turns out great for them :allears:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just caught up on this show, it's really good so far. I can feel something super sad happening for the ending though, this is one of the saddest shows in a while not because it's constantly hammering on how poo poo everything is but exactly because it isn't. Everyone is good friends having fun and then you remember that hey sometimes people are going through some poo poo and they can't show it all the time. It's almost nice how honest the show is though, showing that depression isn't just something that can be wished away by ~*friendship*~ although it helps. But that's exactly why I think the ending is gonna be something that hits really hard, it wouldn't go with the theme of the show to just fix everything.

Also the cast gives me a persona 4 vibe

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I hope they can pull the production back together for the remaining couple of episodes. They did a ton of outsourcing on episode 9 and it really shows in all the meguca faces, but a lot fewer in-house animators were involved with episode 9 so hopefully that means they've all been working on catching up to make the remaining episodes a success. (reddit source)

Sakurazuka posted:

Because it would be over pretty quick if they didn't.

I don't think that's really true... I keep wishing there could be more anime focused on relationships after they've started, rather than treating the start of one as the end in and of itself. There's so much more story to tell than just the will-they-won't-they buildup that nearly every romance anime focuses on.

I'm enjoying Orange overall, but I've been kind of going hot and cold on the story. I've really loved and been moved by the parts involving Kakeru's internalized guilt, and Suwa getting involved resulted in some great happy moments, but it sometimes feels a bit corny to me when all their friends are involved.

edit:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Everyone is good friends having fun and then you remember that hey sometimes people are going through some poo poo and they can't show it all the time. It's almost nice how honest the show is though, showing that depression isn't just something that can be wished away by ~*friendship*~ although it helps.
This is a good point, thank you

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm finally on episode 9, and oh, god, the off-model faces.

e; I'm going to scream now.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 1, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, jitsu wa watashi wa has actual romance in it and while it does have the will he won't he stuff for a bit, they do eventually get together and it's glorious. And also cute, and dumb.

I'm 08 episodes in and this hasn't happened yet. Given that the show only has 13 episodes I can't say my hopes are up. I bet it happens like in the second to last episode, and then in the last episode his waifu disappears and he has to battle her 7 evil exes or some poo poo to get her back as the plot setup for the second season which hasn't been released yet (and probably hasn't confirmed for renewal).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SweetBro posted:

I'm 8 episodes in and this hasn't happened yet. Given that the show only has 13 episodes I can't say my hopes are up. I bet it happens like in the second to last episode, and then in the last episode his waifu disappears and he has to battle her 7 evil exes or some poo poo to get her back as the plot setup for the second season which hasn't been released yet (and probably hasn't confirmed for renewal).

Don't watch the anime, read the manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, poo poo, right, I meant to say read the manga. The anime is generally ill-received as it tends to not really deliver on comedic timing very well which the manga excels at.

It also doesn't really get very far iirc, and also doesn't have the manga author's impeccable face artistry. :haw:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

gently caress, I already watched the anime. What chapter should I pick up on then?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SweetBro posted:

gently caress, I already watched the anime. What chapter should I pick up on then?

I think they messed around with the order of events to fit in 12 episodes.

So...i dunno.

It's getting published in English now too, by the way

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SweetBro posted:

Maybe try about a dozen chapters in. The early chapters are not indicative of what the series becomes, for one, the art style changes fairly drastically from the initial chapters.

It's newly licensed but only two or so volumes are currently out in english. The scans are up to like 138 or so chapters on kissmanga/batoto.

The principal is the best.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm finally on episode 9, and oh, god, the off-model faces.

e; I'm going to scream now.

Yeah

and yeah.

But still I don't even care, i really like this.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
If you want a romance anime that's actually about a romance watch Ore Monogatari

also features an incredible bro named SuwaSuna

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

Yeah

and yeah.

But still I don't even care, i really like this.

:agreed:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I am very glad that Hagita passed someone. He is the best tsundere.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

At first I didn't really care either way with Hagita, I have realized the error of my ways.

Question for the manga readers, does it look like we're going to get the whole story, or are we going to leave off at the end of an arc?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Cowwan posted:

At first I didn't really care either way with Hagita, I have realized the error of my ways.

Well he didn't really have much noteworthy screentime in the first few episodes, so we couldn't see how great he was.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Cowwan posted:

Question for the manga readers, does it look like we're going to get the whole story, or are we going to leave off at the end of an arc?
We have three episodes left in the anime, and six chapters left to adapt, so it's gonna be the whole story.

I hope Chapter 19 has the impact in the anime that it did in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Orange clearly wants me dead.

but also

• Locked thread