Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, people could make much bigger changes with mods now, I guess. Like how Terraria or Minecraft can be decomplied and thus mods can change all KINDS of poo poo. Except probably a bit better since everything is still labeled and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Maybe someone will make the grappling hook fun again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bring back sand surfing and maybe I'll redownload.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I miss the days of thinking this game was gonna be amazing and telling my friends about it

It's a meme by now, I know, but... it really has been all downhill since they removed the fun grappling hook

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

by the way, for the record, apparently the starbound source code got leaked

not gonna link to anything, but mostly i find it funny that this seems to especially be out of spite due to tiyuri being a piece of poo poo

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

oh is tiy no longer in charge of chucklefish

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Patware posted:

oh is tiy no longer in charge of chucklefish

Yeah, that's news I also missed, which would make me feel much less shite about supporting some indies the company was publisher for.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

there is absolutely no news about this so it seems tiyuri's career has definitely not gone down the drain

well, inshallah

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have no idea what's going on on that front, but it definitely seems like more than a few people are disgruntled at least

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lol and lmao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DoubleNegative posted:

Apparently this happened back at the end of May, but this is the first I'm hearing of it: someone leaked Starbound's source code. Not a decomp, either - the actual source code. This person obtained a copy and poked at it a little bit.
Starbound - TODO: Get rid of this stupid loving bullshit,

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

IronicDongz posted:

Starbound - TODO: Get rid of this stupid loving bullshit,

>comments this way about people's work
>wonders why people stop trying and get resentful

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
tiy: i need you to do these assets, can you do it this specific way

*2 months later*

GIt delete: *all the work you just did, in one entry*, comment: "remove stupid rear end ugly artwork"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I am somehow simultaneously surprised and yet not.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Haven't thought about starbound or this thread in years but I'm glad to see that it's still around, starbound is still garbage and tiy is owned

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm mad about Nintendo still putting Wargroove 2 on the Switch, as someone aware of Tiyuri's crimes

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm mad Wargroove got a 2. Stop indulging Tiys bullshit.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Somehow Starbound got onto my YouTube FrontPage with the mod Frakin Universe. While Starbound is garbage, this mod looks pretty cool?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its meh at best

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It overhauls the game pretty substantially. Hopefully won't catch too much flack here but I actually play and enjoy Starbound, and Frackin Universe expands the game in tons of ways. Some of it's a bit grindy, but that's the name of the game really. Adds an absolute ton to the game, and while it probably still doesn't quite hit what was promised in the early days, it's pretty good.

There was some drama long ago about the devs using other peoples' mods without permission, but as far as I can tell that's not necessarily the case at present.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DL the "force feed bird NPCs to produce eggs" mod imo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Imagine a smaller, second tiynan

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The FU mod was pretty well-known for outright stealing other mods and incorporating them into itself, often at the expense of making the original mod incompatible with it, and on top of that the person who makes it was an immense shitheel.

If things are better now, great, but yeah.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah it's not some nebulous ~drama~ or whatever, the dickhead in charge of it would just arbitrarily add a bunch of assorted mods to the pack and if anyone asked to have it removed they would poo poo themselves about it and do it in such a deliberately messy way they would leverage the community to blame the mod maker for the modpack giving errors on the end of people who downloaded it

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Sounds like it's not worth the effort then, thanks!

I cannot believe YouTube lied to me, sad.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It has some cool stuff but you can also just download the original mods in a lot of cases. Some of those mods are really good! It also includes a lot of really unnecessarily complicated or grindy elements that you may end up ignoring - like breeding bee variants.

Its several years since I used it, but I remember an update removing a mod that was taken without permission. Also the dev being very 90s keyboard warrior towards some criticisms on the steam page.

He’s just another of those entitled main character types in mod communities, same as Elder Scrolls/Baldurs Gate 2/etc

Just be aware what you’re getting into and maybe turn off updates in case something gets pulled again

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think the people moderating the steam workshop ended up siding with the guy or giving him pointless slaps on the wrist instead of actual punishment, and also most of us stopped caring about starbound at all and some of the modders here were like 90% of the pushback he was getting? So it's probably not that he got better it's that people stopped fighting him.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, it was p gross seeing that modder bully community mods through mod attribution altercations. But like videogames are whatever just play what you want. The personal drama has long since passed.

Personally, I found Fracken Universe to be a bit too much bloat for long play. It is p good to see a big ol constellation of mods in concert and pick out the few that you want for your 3rd real playthrough.

For reference, I've done Kenshi modding, Skyrim modding, and RimWorld modding. Fracken is like Kenshi Genesis, a black box of mods you load in to skip the workshop portion of modded gameplay. The drama is similar to Oblivion Gate Shader guy.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Zereth posted:

I think the people moderating the steam workshop ended up siding with the guy or giving him pointless slaps on the wrist instead of actual punishment, and also most of us stopped caring about starbound at all and some of the modders here were like 90% of the pushback he was getting? So it's probably not that he got better it's that people stopped fighting him.

As far as I can remember it mostly died down and then someone leaked discord screenshots of the FU guy looking to frame someone who as trying to get their stuff removed as a paedophile and it flared up again.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I completely forgot about the "I'm going to frame this person for being a pedo" thing, christ. Somehow it is even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zamujasa posted:

I completely forgot about the "I'm going to frame this person for being a pedo" thing, christ. Somehow it is even worse.

It's guys like that who I'd wish would register an account on SA, make some dumb post in GBS and continue to argue as he's viciously and rightly mocked by literally everyone for his profoundly lovely behaviour.