Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

apparently this mod megapack is updated for 1.0

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729480149

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

FRIENDS! COME JOIN ME IN GLORIOUS COMBAT

EDIT: Join the dedicated server below, no account name or password, because this is going to be a temporary thing until that dedicated server starts up.

Granted, I have no idea what will happen since I did not set up anything for this server. Let me know if it fails to connect.

Silento Boborachi fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 23, 2016

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Do you still need to burn a bunch of fuel to go to other planets? I remember one of my main complaints with the game when I gave it a shot was that the rate at which I'd get bored of the planets I would land on was way faster than the rate at which I could get enough fuel to go to another one.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Server is up, though I don't see how to set a private password so it is public temporarily.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there seriously only one really slow lovely walking pace? i cant find a sprint/run anywhere

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Verviticus posted:

is there seriously only one really slow lovely walking pace? i cant find a sprint/run anywhere

All the movement speed stuff seems to come from techs.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Is there a good source of cotton wool or do I just need to get lucky finding some cotton plants out in the infinite universe?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Verviticus posted:

There's the slow walk in the intro and the regular walk everywhere else. There's stuff you can do to boost your speed like eat certain foods, equip upgrades to special backpack items you get later, and take drugs. There's also techs (moves) that include double-jumps and dashes, and you can buy a hover-bike later.

Mountaineer posted:

Is there a good source of cotton wool or do I just need to get lucky finding some cotton plants out in the infinite universe?

I don't know how you get it started but eventually you can get domesticated sheep that can give you things like plant fiber, cotton, and other weirder poo poo. Your best bet though is to harvest seeds and start slowly building a huge cotton farm.

Revol posted:

Server is up, though I don't see how to set a private password so it is public temporarily.

Added to the OP. I can also add that discord channel if you'd like it to be the server's official channel.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 23, 2016

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
yeeeouch.. my old characters are deleted?

that kinda sucks.

edit: the new intro is pretty cool, however. and i planned on making a new one, but i was so far that i was also hoping to mess around with my already made ones, as well. :V

Gomi Day fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 23, 2016

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Babe Magnet posted:

Added to the OP. I can also add that discord channel if you'd like it to be the server's official channel.

Yes please.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Done.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a lot of the ways things work in this game feel really subtly 'off' and it's hard to put my finger on why

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
For the information of any whiny pissbabies who don't cleave to Tiy's vision of fun and engagement, roll your characters as Casual so you only have 10% pixel loss and don't drop items on death.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I started playing again and it's... actually alright? I'm enjoying it now way more than I did before, at least. It's certainly way the hell more polished, and there's a lot of QOL improvements that I enjoy. It's still missing stuff like hotkeys for taking everything out of a chest (why!?) and the whole hotbar thing is unusual to say the least. I should probably port over my race mod, but that'll get people all crazy for updates and stuff that I doubt I have in me anymore!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Babe Magnet posted:

There's the slow walk in the intro and the regular walk everywhere else. There's stuff you can do to boost your speed like eat certain foods, equip upgrades to special backpack items you get later, and take drugs. There's also techs (moves) that include double-jumps and dashes, and you can buy a hover-bike later.

i was just in the tutorial and didnt realize it was faster outside of it, lol. man that would have been awful

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Is there a hot key to just randomly eat something from your inventory? Having a lot of fun with this game but feeding myself seems the biggest chore of all. Not getting food, that's no problem at all, just eating it seems unwieldy.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

prussian advisor posted:

Is there a hot key to just randomly eat something from your inventory? Having a lot of fun with this game but feeding myself seems the biggest chore of all. Not getting food, that's no problem at all, just eating it seems unwieldy.

Wondering this as well especially since no food items stack and you cant pause to equip them. Im only playing on casual but eating is still better than wasting a bandage or w/e

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
On the Discord server as Dustin!!

How much of a pain in the rear end is setting up themed colonies via the deeds? From looking at the guide, it seems pretty simple, but I haven't done it in practice.

I just want to build weird colonies/dungeons for goons to visit.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cicadas! posted:

I was checking out the wiki and ahaha what is this?
I know it's probably a coincidence but the head and the naming scheme of http://starbounder.org/Geode_Set this are really familiar to me for some reason...
Well, when did you post your gem people? Wiki says this came out Dec 7th '15.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I, too, am finding myself enjoying the game, much to my surprise, though it's kind of a slow roll in getting your ship up and running, plus I guess there's fuel you'll have to mine if you want to leave your home system. Hopefully that poo poo's everywhere (it's not going to be everywhere).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Who likes healing over time? I sure don't.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DarkLich posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is setting up themed colonies via the deeds? From looking at the guide, it seems pretty simple, but I haven't done it in practice.

I just want to build weird colonies/dungeons for goons to visit.

It's slower to start but easier to expand and make huge now.

Previously you'd have to hunt down, say, a floran village and steal all their poo poo and if you ran out, you'd have to find another one. Now, you just pop over, scan everything, and you can start building their stuff on your own. You can also fight the guards and take their poo poo too, btw, that's still an option, just a bit more of a pain. Theming your colony stuff is a good idea because that's the only way to get certain residents.

e: You can attract, say, a Floran Trader if you place down commerce furniture with a floran theme, and I think they sell furniture and stuff too.

Also, RE: healing, food is for long-term healing and bandages and such are quick burst heals with short cool-downs for when you need a top-off in the middle of combat.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

QuantaStarFire posted:

I, too, am finding myself enjoying the game, much to my surprise, though it's kind of a slow roll in getting your ship up and running, plus I guess there's fuel you'll have to mine if you want to leave your home system. Hopefully that poo poo's everywhere (it's not going to be everywhere).

Erchius fuel can be found in both crystal and liquid form on airless moons just about everywhere. Of course there's a horrible monster that will try to kill you for mining starship fuel. You can also buy fuel at the outpost.

Where/When do you get to upgrade your ship? My one-room space trailer is getting awfully cramped.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Boy oh boy.

Did anybody else ever play A Valley Without Wind?

The platforming in that game was more compelling and fun than anything I've encountered in the first two hours of this game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

resting bort face posted:

Boy oh boy.

The platforming in that game was more compelling and fun than anything I've encountered in the first two hours of this game.

gross

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I found a staff that shoots poison and can also explode

starbound is okay.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hello friends

Have a memorial for the previous threads

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 23, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

I found a staff that shoots poison and can also explode

starbound is okay.

the staves are cool as hell this time around

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I was actually able to load the game now, so it has that going for it.

Game is too slow and stutters once I try to actually play though. So still no chance to play.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm tempted to instal and rebuild my robo poop station

Be real with me, is Starbound...okay?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Anyone have recommendations for a good server host service? Spergomeda Galaxy is using Gameservers, anyone have experience with them? Performance and uptime isn't what I want, but I don't know if that is the host or the game. The server had been down for the last hour, and I couldn't figure out how to get it back up. It finally did, and I don't know why.

resting bort face posted:

Boy oh boy.

I am speechless over how bad of an opinion this is. I'm not saying a critique against Starbound platforming is invalid, but... comparing it to Valley?! Holy loving poo poo.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tin Tim posted:

I'm tempted to instal and rebuild my robo poop station

Be real with me, is Starbound...okay?

it is :mediocre:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
starbound is...

extremely poorly optimized actually wtf

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I figured they'd get around to fixing the lag/stuttering in singleplayer but uhhhhhh I guess not

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I did see a mod to re-enable hunger on casual if you're into that sort of thing at least.

The game is...ok? I only played for a little while, got the basic crafting stations built at least. I really want a mod to buff my matter manipulator again though, I miss that already.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007
Yep, outpost still chugs a ton.

And I can't join the server for some reason, so that's nice. Tried playing with a friend on Steam and the lag and crashing got so bad I gave up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

starbound has a plot now I can't believe it

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so are tentacle biomes back or did chucklefish decide those werent fun to explore so they just made it a plot thing instead

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Played a bit more - it's actually a game now. With, like, reasons to do things. If you burned yourself out on earlier versions I can see it being a little dull, but I stopped playing a long time ago so lots of this is new to me. Still need to fix poo poo like not being able to use consumables from inventory, because what the gently caress is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah I figured they'd get around to fixing the lag/stuttering in singleplayer but uhhhhhh I guess not

Optimization requires actual programming effort with frequent needs to keep it working, compared to cut/pasting air dashing out of one tech to a separate tech and moving on to the next idea.