Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

(no I don't know either why they're calling it Speedrunner Assembly now)

Hot on the heels of SGDQ2016 comes the marathon from the other side of the pond, ESA2016! Starting July 23rd and going on until July 29th, it's the biggest annual speedrunning event after the GDQs and has way more goofy accents. And I'm pretty sure there's more races. That surely won't hurt setup times.

Schedule: Can be found at http://www.esamarathon.com/schedule and actually does adjust to your timezone, I was just an idiot.

Watch it at: http://www.esamarathon.com/ is the main site. http://twitch.tv/esamarathon is the Twitch channel, but the main site is usually better to use.

If you want to watch in your media player of choice, you can use Livestreamer. How to use it:

BloodWulfe posted:

Windows users can grab a precompiled version right here. Here's a quickstart guide. Basically the only thing you need to setup is your video player location. The config file has a bunch of default locations that you can just uncomment. It should look something like this:

# VLC
player=“C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe”

Notice that the pound sign in front of player is removed. Replace VLC with whatever you prefer, but make sure MPC is up-to-date if you use that. Open a command prompt, enter livestreamer.exe twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda best, and that's it. You can replace best with low/medium/high if needed.

Mac users can run sudo easy_install livestreamer from a terminal window, and then use the same command as Windows (sans .exe) to launch it. It defaults to using VLC, but you can use --player to specify something else.

Linux users can grab it via pip.

You can also use Livestreamer Twitch GUI, which is, well, a GUI for Livestreamer, if you don't feel comfortable around command lines.

Official recordings will go up eventually, once they have all been processed. There's usually a list of timestamped links to watch the runs in the Twitch VODs, and to minimize people uploading monetized videos on Youtube during the marathon, GDQ staff will try to get at least temporary versions up on Youtube as soon as possible. Watch this space for the links.

Chatting: While ESA does use Twitch chat as its main chat, there's better places to be, such as IRC - and there's an official channel for this, too.
Server: irc.quakenet.org
Channel: #esamarathon
Direct link
Quakenet Webchat (Mibbit will not work)

As always, there's also a SA speedrun channel that you can use to chat with us goons about the marathon, away from all the common folk:
Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #speedruns
Direct link
Mibbit Webchat

=============

The ESA2016 charity drive

One of the elements that has set ESA apart from GDQ in recent years is that while GDQ is first and foremost a charity event consisting of speedruns (and such), ESA is more of a speedrunning event that also accepts donations for charity.

ESA2016 benefits Save the Children, the world's leading independent organization for children in need with programs in over 120 countries.

=============

The ins and outs of donations

While ESA2016 does not use the same donation system as GDQ, it's quite simple and the donation page can be found here. You will be able to leave a comment with your donation, and as ESA is a lot smaller than GDQ, chances are quite good your donation will be read on air! However, you can't just get anything read - while I don't have the exact ESA rules for it available, it is likely to be similar if not identical to the GDQ guidelines:

quote:

-The program should auto-filter donations that are less than a dollar, but in case if one slips through, filter it out.

-Some people do not want their names read out loud when they donate. There will be an anonymous flag you can check so that the donation reader doesn't read their name by accident (like we have done often in the past).

-Donations insulting someone should be filtered out.

-If a donation is solely twitch faces, hashtags, or just generally spam, then filter it out.

-On that note, if someone donates a small amount of money just to write a mountain of text, then filter it out. We'll be busy enough reading short donation comments. The only exception we should make for mountains of text is...

-Personal stories relating to our cause should be read.

-If a donation comment is creative and funny then it should be read. Just FYI, while some people might find twich faces funny, they're certainly not creative.

=============

Why donate (if you don't want to save the children)

Incentives. I can't find any evidence for any kinds of prizes being a thing this time around. But, uh, ESA2016 does not to seem to have a tracker of the same kind as GDQ anywhere, so tbh I have no clue at all where to find a list of incentives. Watch this space I guess.

=============

FAQ:
Q: What runs should I watch?
A: All of them well no actually watch what you're interested in. There'll be recommendations eventually, maybe. Read the thread, I'm going to be away for half of the week so I'll be able to keep up with the thread but not the stream pretty much.

Q: Will ____ be there?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's some controversial people. Don't bring them up.

Q: So did you hear about that marathon when that one guy-
A: I'm just going to say the exact same thing as in the GDQ thread here and please don't.

Really - please don't. Marathon threads in the past have been plagued by people who think the height of hilarity is to make fun of the people participating in or attending these marathons, in which case you're a dick. Maybe someone did something they didn't think all the way through that then got spread through dubious pastebins circulating on twitter, maybe someone did something awkward on camera that the internet decided to turn into a meme - but that's irrelevant. While talking about things going on at the event is of course fine, this thread is meant to primarily be about the runs and the cause, so try to keep the drama to a minimum. And should you think that bringing up old drama from past marathons or things that just so happened to happen to a runner that's going to SGDQ is a good idea, it's not.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Either nobody submitted it or there wasn't room for it on the schedule. That's about it.

Q: Why didn't they read my donation comment?
A: Probably because you didn't say anything of value.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: ESA2016 is taking place in Fortnox Arena, Växjö, Sweden.

=============

Aaaaand that's about all of it, there's really not as much to say about ESA as GDQ, but let's enjoy it together anyhow!

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Post reserved, tjö.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
So looking forward to the Pokemon Snap 100% run.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Oh hey, neat to see Succintandpunchy on the schedule, had no idea he ran Freedom Planet!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Studio posted:

Oh hey, neat to see Succintandpunchy on the schedule, had no idea he ran Freedom Planet!

succinct is not a hard word to spell you ingrate

i'm rooming with the kingdom hearts guys and I basically got used like a commentary test dummy for Realm of Darkness RTA.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah but when I make a typo and auto correct goes off on "Succinctandpunchy" I ignore it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

can't wait to see shadow complex remastered destroyed

and I bet Invisible War is broken as gently caress

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm working during Catherine and disgaea 2 :smith: most of that looks pretty solid though. I'll tune in when I can.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Starts in an hour.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Aaaaand we're live!

Edit: Holy poo poo what the hell is this stream layout

Also gj audio guys

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 23, 2016

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

that's a big conference room.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

It's an indoor sports arena.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's the European lipreading assembly of 2016.

Seriously, how can they be unaware there's no sound?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

It's an indoor sports arena.

jesus christ you're right!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1J6U71jBA&hd=1

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

As soon as they got sound, our Finnish representative said how he f*cked up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

time for jedis. hup hup hup

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this jedi academy speedrun is really great it's going so fast you can't even see the game

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It'll be a tough job to follow the SGDQ Jedi Academy run, which was one of the highlights of the whole event.

e: The technical side seems pretty amateurish also following SGDQ. The game audio is completely drowning the runner.

e2: Looks like they found a good balance

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 23, 2016

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
Is there a live crowd at all? Why are there random people milling about in the background? This is all quite confusing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mangler103 posted:

Is there a live crowd at all? Why are there random people milling about in the background? This is all quite confusing.

Apparently there are, but the camera placement is unfortunate. The random people distracting from the run in the background is annoying, though.

https://twitter.com/MolluskMoth/status/756926116670169088

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 23, 2016

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Azazell0 posted:

Apparently there are, but the camera placement is unfortunate. The random people distracting from the run in the background is annoying, though.

https://twitter.com/MolluskMoth/status/756926116670169088

Seems like a huge oversight. From my view, it looks like 3 guys are playing a game while people set up for another, more important event later in the day.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, the runs themselves have been solid so far, but there's a lot of little things distracting me, like the camera placement or constant audio issues. I've only watched ESA the year before, but I seem to recall 2015 being pretty free from technical difficulties.

And there was this Irish (?) guy announcing the event who had a lovely, deep, bass voice. (come to think of it, where is the announcing this year? Or the donations?)

e: Boy, it's not a very good start for the event.

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/4u9jy2/shame_on_you_esa_shame_on_you/

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 23, 2016

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Azazell0 posted:

Yeah, the runs themselves have been solid so far, but there's a lot of little things distracting me, like the camera placement or constant audio issues. I've only watched ESA the year before, but I seem to recall 2015 being pretty free from technical difficulties.

And there was this Irish (?) guy announcing the event who had a lovely, deep, bass voice. (come to think of it, where is the announcing this year? Or the donations?)

e: Boy, it's not a very good start for the event.

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/4u9jy2/shame_on_you_esa_shame_on_you/

Wow, I thought maybe a soft opening while they wait for more people to show up, but it just seems like total crap. I remember watching a couple years ago, and they were in a big meeting room, which was totally fine. No idea why they're in this massive space that they clearly can't use.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Like I said, I remember last year being pretty solid all around. Maybe the venue poses new challenges, but it's been definitely a bit disappointing so far on the tech side. Hopefully it'll get better as the event goes on.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

I find this amusing, since as whenever there is something similar happening with the GDQ marathons, there's always a bunch of the ESA tech guys in the thread telling them what they are doing wrong and how much better everything will be setup for ESA.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

There are donation incentives? Where are they listed?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm checking this out because there is more variety than what SGDQ had in the schedule, that and I'm hoping for dumb poo poo like that 10 man SWAT4 run from a couple years ago.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Man, that interview was pretty rough. They're either severely understaffed, or pretty much no one knows how to run a production.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
It's pretty distracting when there is some dude holding up a massive set of headphones in front of the interviewees because they only have a single headphone mic.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Holy poo poo, we're literally watching people yawn on a couch. They must realize how unprofessional this looks, right?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Yeah there's basically no way to see the stream unless you're basically at the front of the room. It's easier to see what's going on in the back so I'm loving around backstage instead. It's a bit odd, all things considered.

I'm having fun regardless but I dunno about the stream's production values

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I thought the last ESA went very well so this whole production feels pretty weird.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

seems like this week is going to be a slow burn but that's ok, I don't expect another Jak and Daxter run to happen at any event.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Sounds like it's off to a kind of rocky start. Any of the runs up to now been cool?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Xenothral posted:

Sounds like it's off to a kind of rocky start. Any of the runs up to now been cool?

Tirean's Outlast runs are always worth checking out.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Xenothral posted:

They seem pretty straightforward and boring to me. But shooters and open world games I don't find particularly fun to watch.

Also, it's apparently 5am there, doesn't seem like runners have a ton of energy right now.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Vakal posted:

Tirean's Outlast runs are always worth checking out.

Good deal.

mangler103 posted:

They seem pretty straightforward and boring to me. But shooters and open world games I don't find particularly fun to watch.

Also, it's apparently 5am there, doesn't seem like runners have a ton of energy right now.

Yeah the person on the couch right now has been dozing off a lot, but I can't really blame them when it's so early.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I thought Just Cause would of been a bit more interesting than Helicopter Simulator considering how janky the game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This Kay run seems to be the liveliest with a couch that is actually into the game

• Locked thread