Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Kacht-ka, Ka Remembrancer

Kacht-ka looks at the admiral, probably. The blank face of his helmet does not give a lot of indication.

With uncharacteristic bluntness, he says, "Are we expected to return from this mission?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Kvardek

Kvardek listened to the briefing with a straight back and crossed arms. He had hoped a reply from the Church would come in before his next mission and forbid him from going on it provide him guidance, but it seemed he would need to help the Alliance one more time. "Regardless of whether we are expected to return," he replied to Kacht-ka's question. "I have no intention of dying. The solution is simple; we can have the Independence cloaked nearby, ready for our signal. Before the thermal charge explodes we find a way to disable the shields long enough to be teleported back onto our ship and make our escape." That was adding another objective to what was already promising to be a difficult mission, but there was no other choice. He had no confidence they would be able to steal and pilot a ship from the Vular once the alarm went off.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Meriele

Meri remains quiet while the rest asks their questions. Somehow, this proposed mission didn't seem so ridiculous, when considered in the light of ridiculous things they'd already been asked to do. So she simply sighs, and waits - perhaps further details will reveal the need for questions from her.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Of course you're expected to return," the Admiral Veeder replies. "Like I said, you'll need an access code to get on the ship, but if you're able to disable the shields you should be able to teleport back off. If you don't think that will work... this is a supercarrier, which means there should be plenty of ships for you to hijack on your way off the Omriwin, and the Major here should be skilled enough to pilot one of them. How you choose to get on and off the ship is up to you, though like I said, you'll need to get access codes from a Vular ship somehow... whether that comes from a ship in orbit or one on Varian itself is likewise up to you.

"Any further questions? If not, meet me here at 0800 tomorrow for gearing up and sendoff."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Zivilyn

Ziv spends his leave keeping to himself, mostly. He makes a point to ask Stoaga to help him repair his quarterstaves. Make their heads and raking bits sharper, more serrated. He figured she'd have some hunting tips for that.

Showing up to the briefing in his tac-suit, he listens quietly and doesn't feel like asking about any particulars. Another suicide mission, another conspicuous absence of any assistance, another plan made of grand sweeping statements and things left unsaid. He'd have shown up late if they didn't give them proper leave, he hasn't been sleeping well, even if he didn't need much of it to begin with. Lots of stuff on his mind, lots of tinkering.

"Sounds like fun, Commander. I'm sure we ken jury rig a solution on the fly. S'how we got this far. Oh Eighty Oh then." He gets up to leave, hands in his pockets.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Adapted from Discord

Kvardek: You arrive back in your quarters to your transponder blinking...
The identification seems to read that it's from your Church

As soon as Kvardek saw the light he slammed the door to his room shut and engaged the lock before anyone in the hall could see the blinking light. He felt a brief twinge of anxiety, wondering how he was going to extricate himself from the mission if that was what he was ordered. The alternative, disobeying a direct order from the Church, was almost literally unthinkable. He was not sure he would be allowed to entertain that thought without forcing an override he had no confidence he could force through. He shook his head clear, enough wasting time. He opened the line. "Unit 0040 'Kvardek'."

"Unit 0040," a cold female voice responds over the line, "We have received your status report."
"We are glad you are safe and in one piece..."
"We would also like to know what the consensus process was that guided you into action."

Kvardek stood up straight to give his report. "Inputs were as follows: with the blockade on Teris in place escape was not possible. Communication was also jammed, preventing messages from reaching off-world. The destruction of Unit 0069 'Sesnau' was evidence that negotiation was useless. The resistance forces on Teris were hard-pressed and lacking in resources; they could not be expected to assist in getting me off-world for no gain. Given these inputs, my Heroes recommended joining the resistance on a vote of 9-2.
"Furthermore, the care with which Sesnau's drives were targeted specifically was evidence the Vular may have been alerted to our activities and the important role the Vessels play in the Divine Plan. If they were allowed to continue their war march unimpeded, it would endanger Church members and Vessels on other worlds. In the worst case scenario the Church itself may be destroyed and its resources used for nefarious ends. Thus I considered it important to contribute to the war effort and stop the invasion by any means within my power without causing undue damage or risk.
"I was aware of the several church teachings my actions would violate when I made them. After reflection, I still do not feel I was in error to have made them. I submit myself to your judgment."

"While it is perhaps unsurprising that a concensus was reached to violate church doctrine, it is rather surprising and... somewhat unsettling that you were able to carry out those actions so willfully.
"That being said, your decisions clearly had merit, particularly born out of concern from the fate of Unit 0069. Thus, we cannot reprimand you for your actions.
"We must ask, since you are so far out of Church control... what are you planning on doing now?"

The question stunned him, and he did not know how to answer right away.
He thought of his conversation with Meriele, about how they as a team had done good far beyond their intentions or expectations and how they should be proud of that. He thought of what Kacht-Ka had told him about the Ka and about ownership of decisions. He remembered the fury he felt in the debriefing room, and how he had contacted his church not for guidance, but so that they could do his thinking for him. And that, more than killing, more than disobeying doctrine, shamed him.
"I... would like to continue offering guidance and assistance to the Alliance. I have no intention of pursuing the war to its conclusion, only to blunt the current offensive and a return to peace. I have made good friends; they are few, but I have seen firsthand the power of a surgical strike team to turn the tide of an impossible situation. I realize I am making a great ask, and can only offer my word that I will not put myself in unnecessary danger. Nevertheless, I must humbly ask for the Church's permission to act according to my own discretion."

There's a momentary pause before the response from the line, "Very well. If you have reached consensus on that action, then it seems more likely than not to be in the best interests of the Church as well. However, we must lay these conditions: if you fear you are to become disabled or captured, you must be entirely destroyed. Nobody can know that a Church Vessel was involved in operations for the Alliance. Is that clear?"

He was prepared for death when he signed up with the Resistance on Teris. If the Church demanded it he could only comply. "Understood. Should it come to that, I will make sure this Vessel is destroyed down to the last screw." And he already knew how he would do it...

“Good then, Unit 0040. May the Path show you the way and your heroes guide you well. We look forward to hearing from you soon.”

"I will keep in regular contact as time and opportunity allows. End transmission." The audio cut out and Kvardek slumped over. That was not what he expected. Still, he had some guidance on how to proceed.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

[BUMP]

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Zivilyn

(We're dying here so I'm stealing initiative.)

Once the crew was on their usual sneaky stealthy craft Ziv noticed that things were down. Downer than usual, more of a downer than all those other times they were gonna die. Even Captain is just idly glaring at the comms, like she had one last take down for the Commanders sending them out to die.

"Right. Well then, we need to dock.. ain't easy gettin' a key or passin' security. Whaddaya day we brute force it?" Getting past his hangover and a bit of time was enough to clear his head. The anger was still there, but he'd brought a little surprise for the Vular. Needed to get it there real professional like, though.

Ziv guides their ship to orbit about a click out from their target, the Vular capital ship. They'll stay in cloak past range of the scanners and aait for them to send something out. Patrols, transports. They need to take on prisoners and fuel and what not. Not like they were in danger of starving durj g a stake out either. It was just a matter of time.

When that smaller ship ship shows up out of range of the mother hen they'll ambush it. Then they'll have codes, comms and even a decoy vessel.

Stealth 24 along with our ships cloak making us invisible.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Meriele

"I think I can isolate a ship if one emerges, with a spoofed distress call. Bring it to some coordinates outside the capital ship's range, ambush it, take it back to the capitol ship and work our way in. That should work, right?" While Ziv manned the cloaks, Meri was hard at work tinkering with the communicator in order to get her proposed plan to work. It was a bit tricky, but she'd interfaced with Valoryn's command ship and had remembered some of the frequencies. All she had to do was figure out how to make sure only the ship they wanted would receive it.

Arcana to lure a ship away with a spoofed distress call at 1d20+19=34. In case it needs to be Bluff it's a 40 instead.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

After a moment of waiting, your comms light up. "Hello?" a female voice comes across in Elven, "This is the VIS Brek. We are receiving your distress signal. Where are you? What is your distress?" As the voice ends, you see a small Vular patrol vessel floating through your front viewport.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Naivara Ulcahne

Naivara clears her throat and quickly concocts a remotely believable story.

"VIS Brek, glad to hear a friendly voice. We just escaped a skirmish with the Alliance but our propulsion systems took some damage...we're dead in the water here unless we can get some help. We're not too far away from you, actually..."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Roger that," the voice says over the intercom. Soon you see the ship move into direct targeting range, then within range of your boarding teleporter. "We can't see you? Where are you?" they ask in a concerned voice.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"We should move while there is still time. The longer they search, the less time we have to kill unheeded," says Kacht-ka.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Kvardek

"Agreed," Kvardek said, warming up the teleporters. "We'll warp onto their ship and commandeer it from inside. If we train our guns on them there might not be enough of the ship left to sneak aboard with when we're done. Remember, we need to take out whoever is at the communicator but avoid damaging the comms if you can, any damage we do we'll need to fix before we can begin the real operation. Everyone ready?" Once he received everyone's assent he threw the switch. Unto the breach once more.

Was trying to give other people a chance to voice their opinions, but if no one has anything more to offer I'm going on ahead.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

As you appear in the drow patrol ship, which is slightly smaller than the Independence, the crew of two (a pilot and a gunner) swivel around in shock. "What the gently caress? Who are you?" the pilot asks in Elven as she and her gunner reach for their sidearms.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Meriele

Reaching for Naivara and Kacht-Ka, Meri jumps the two of them across the short distance, letting them pin down thebsurprised Vular. "I wouldn't recommend shooting," she says from behind her helmet, "but since my friends here are excellent educators, maybe you'll learn from your mistake if you do."

Intimidate at 1d20+22=39

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

The two drow instinctively push back in their seats. "Fine... what... what do you want?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Zivilyn

Ziv joins the others on the new enemy ship bridge, brandishing his serrated staves. "Easy access to your hostin' vessel. You provide and you get an escape pod ride away from th' thing that's about ta explode." Smash their comms, jettison them away from the thing they want to warn, seemed the nicest they could do. If things got complicated then corpses tended to raise poor alarms.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Sh... sure... just don't kill us..." the pilot says at swordpoint. They slowly vacate their seats and allow Naivara to take the helm of the ship as they kneel on the floor, the copilot trembling in fear.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Naivara Ulcahne

Naivara settles into the pilot's seat and scans over the system - didn't appear too out of the ordinary. Afterwards, she glares at the crew and materializes a biotic blade in her hand. "You have until we dock to come up with a good story about why you're returning anything from patrol. If you say anything loving stupid, I will find a way to kill you with my mind."

Naivara flips a few switches and begins to redirect the ship

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

The drow look at each other, the pilot stammering out, "Um... this ship has had problems with its radar lately... it's not going bad now but... it could still be a reason?" she says hesitantly. "Now please... don't kill us..."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Stoaga of the White Legs

"This one will watch crew while ship is moving. Will consume vitae if Black Ears disobey."

Stoaga finds herself a seat to perch on and begins giving the drow crew an unflinching stare, a mix of curiosity and vigilance in their eyes, pupils tracking small movements. They ponder removing their mask for a moment, but seem to decide against it.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"Does someone know how to break radar-thing?" asks Kacht-ka. "More convincing if true."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Last ditch bump :(