Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

A military operation. And a rather crude one at that. Will destroying one statue really strike fear into the heart of the enemy, as the one who seems to be their leader so boldly, so brashly claims? It seems a bit silly. Does the enemy's morale hinge on whether a statue stays upright? Fascinating. Perhaps they worship it in some fashion, or believe it to be their purpose made whole, through raw materials. A subject for study?

An amusing thought forms in the entity's mind. Itself, inside some sort of glass containment field, people watching it closely, trying to...well it wasn't quite sure what they were doing. There certainly weren't enough apparatuses around to consider it academic. There were a lot of very serious looking faces, like it was a life or death situation. Perhaps that is all it represents to these people; a dangerous weapon, an unknown piece to place onto the board and observe its movements.

<I am not your enemy.>

Is the entity's first thought sculpted carefully into words, transmitted mentally.

<Perhaps I am not speaking. The thought is a good one, but irrelevant. My communication skills are most likely lacking, as you and the others on this planet are the first sentients I have encountered who were not screaming, panicking...well, some of you are probably panicking right now.>

The thought trails off. Purple, wispy fingers knead an equally purple, wispy forehead.

Do I even have a forehead...?

<Regardless, I am known as UNS7735. Or, I was, anyway. Now I am merely a fragment of it. An unsung piece of a frankly disturbing whole. I am curious as to how I am not destroying all matter in this room right now.>

A pause.

<Scientifically speaking, of course. I have no wish to destroy any of you, without justifiable cause.>

Speaking of cause...

It directs its attention towards Ms. Bodan.

<General. No. Commander? Leader figure, whatever you are known as. Is it not possible for our team to divide our forces to each location? Perhaps one could serve as a distraction, while the other completes the mission.>

Bright purple slits dart around the room, absorbing details of faces, posture, names. There is simply too much to learn for the entity's liking. Too much...? Or, perhaps...?




pre:
Unsung   						 
HP: 25/25 (THP: )        AC:   18    Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 7/7 (V: 6)       For:  12    Passive Perception: 22
Initiative: +0   	 Ref:  15    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 17    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Deep Speech, Elven

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Overwhelming Strike     [ ] Shard Swarm                      [ ] Aspect of Might
Avenging Shackles       [ ] Oath of Enmity                
                        [ ] Relentless Attack        
                        [ ] Abjure Undead
                        [ ] Divine Guidance
                    
Item Powers
N/A

Conditionals/Resists:
Telepathy 5
Living Construct: Don't eat, drink breathe, sleep
Crystalline Mind: Resist 5/10/15 Psychic
Immortal Origin
Censure of Retribution: Each time a non-Oath target hits me, I gain +3 damage against my Oath target until EoMNT (cumulative).


Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

While the method of transport was shaky at best, the entity could only marvel at the view of the planet. There was so much history here, seemingly lost to the ether, destroyed without, it appeared, any regard to what it once was, what it once had been. The thought was something coldly familiar to the entity, but it was still a cold one nonetheless. Could one really get used to destruction? To ending what had once begun, what wanted desperately to continue? Buildings, ships, lives...were they really all so feeble, so easily taken away? The train of thought is interrupted by the 'van' landing, and another seemingly important decision to make.

<If it is to be one or the other, I suppose we already have our course set. Seeing such a choice made so quickly is interesting. Do you not stop to consider other possibilities?>

It turns to examine the van.

<For example, we could just wait for our transport to be repaired. Or...>

Then, to the buildings.

<We could find rooftops, scale upwards and examine the situation from a different point of view, literally and metaphorically.>

And, finally, to each member of the team, ending by turning its gaze towards the darkness of the alleyway.

<If we are to take the alley, then allow me to lead. It would be only natural for all of you to be suspicious of me, and it would not hurt for me to prove something very important.>

A long pause.

<I am not your enemy. I said it previously, but please allow me to show you on our first mission together.>

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

The entity stares at the body, head tilted, as the rest of the team wanders off. It was his first body. Sort of a strange sight, really. Grisly, maybe the best word. Violent. Unceremonious. It was dead, and here. No tragedy, no sense of peace or loss. Was it to be abandoned, never to see others again? Furthermore, why did the entity feel anything at all looking at this? Surely this was not the first sentient it would see ended, nor the last.

The entity waited for the others to move out of sight, and then drew a slow circle around the patch on the sleeve, cosmic energy following its fingers. The patch quickly removed, the entity tried placing it on its own arm. It tried to imagine what this person, this man was like; was he a brave fighter to the end, who the enemy left here to intimidate them? Was he a coward who ran, bleeding and alone, and found himself dying in a dumpster in an alley?

Quietly placing the patch back onto the man's chest, it followed its comrades, only a few steps behind.

Then, it was time to move. Ducking behind a nearby corner, trying its best to blend into a long shadow, its eyes moved to its fellow fighters.. A quiet, nonverbal signal, with thought laid bare.

<It appears it is time for us to act. For now, we maintain the element of surprise. Shall we draw them closer? Wait to observe their movements? Another important choice awaits us, it seems. One that, made too quickly, may cost us much.>




Initiative of 12 and Stealth of 14, counting the bonuses.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

<An interesting suggestion, Mr. Zivilyn. Perhaps the quietest of us could move towards the statue, while the rest 'fight through,' as you put it.>

Its eyes drift to each team-member. Searching them for...something. It wasn't quite sure what.

<I have a feeling that I should be among those who fight directly, if we should wish to split up at all. If we concentrate our attack, it's possible we could finish them before they acquire reinforcements. Likewise, if we delay too long, regardless of our actions, we may not complete our mission and return. It's an intriguing situation, wouldn't you agree?>




I'll take E10. This is gonna be so fun!

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

The entity follows Ziv's lead, running for the nearby car. As it goes, cosmic sparks and what appear to be small stars and lights go behind it.

Crouching down and pressing its back to the vehicle, it looks over at Ziv and then peeks over at the enemy. The thoughts in it turn to a black hole, picturing its elegance, its terror. The center opens up, but the real danger lies in the outside edges, the surrounding of matter before and while it crosses the event horizon.

<A rather simple affair. Our friend with the sword will charge them head-on, forming a killzone of sorts. Anyone in front will move around and flank them, and anyone behind her shall do their best to support us. We will form a hole of sorts, and trap our enemies between us. Rather fitting, wouldn't you say?>


Running to K12. I'm granting Combat Advantage until the start of my next turn.


pre:
Unsung   						 
HP: 25/25 (THP: )        AC:   18    Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 7/7 (V: 6)       For:  12    Passive Perception: 22
Initiative: +0   	 Ref:  15    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 17    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Deep Speech, Elven

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Overwhelming Strike     [ ] Shard Swarm                      [ ] Aspect of Might
Avenging Shackles       [ ] Oath of Enmity                
                        [ ] Relentless Attack        
                        [ ] Abjure Undead
                        [ ] Divine Guidance
                    
Item Powers
N/A

Conditionals/Resists:
Telepathy 5
Living Construct: Don't eat, drink breathe, sleep
Crystalline Mind: Resist 5/10/15 Psychic
Immortal Origin
Censure of Retribution: Each time a non-Oath target hits me, I gain +3 damage against my Oath target until EoMNT (cumulative).

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

The entity surveys the so-called killzone. Now it's more like a warzone; the goblins are bleeding, an angry woman with a sword is in their midst. Its teammates were doing well, and now it was time for it to demonstrate why it was here as well.

Ducking around the side of the vehicle, it closes its eyes. It shall be the first sentient it ends with hands, with power of its own, without trying to fathom what happens to it beyond the edge, into the center, into a deep and unfathomable darkness.

It would have to become that darkness.

<ENTROPY CALLS. IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO ANSWER.>

It screams, mentally. Its battlecry, charging at the wounded patrolman. To its credit, it does manage to fire off panicked potshots. The entity, leaving a trail of cosmic energy and afterimages behind it, manages to avoid them, coming in close.

<THE UNIVERSE...EXPERIENCE ITS POWER. TASTE, FIRSTHAND, THE END, AND KNOW THAT THIS GIVES ME NO PLEASURE.>

Its hand punches through the goblin's chest.Withdrawing it, the goblin falls to its knees. The entity places its hand upon its head. The goblin's body appears to float upward, disintegrating as it enters the entity's body. What's left are floating traces of energy, of a being that once lived in that spot.

Its gaze turns towards the next patrolman.With eyes burning, purple flames.

It points.

<You shall be next.>




Moved to P8, Oathed the Patrolman, and Hit the second attack roll; damage kills it no matter what I roll, so it just goes kaput.



pre:
Unsung   						 
HP: 25/25 (THP: )        AC:   18    Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 7/7 (V: 6)       For:  12    Passive Perception: 22
Initiative: +0   	 Ref:  15    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 17    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Deep Speech, Elven

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Overwhelming Strike     [ ] Shard Swarm                      [ ] Aspect of Might
Avenging Shackles       [ ] Oath of Enmity                
                        [ ] Relentless Attack        
                        [ ] Abjure Undead
                        [ ] Divine Guidance
                    
Item Powers
N/A

Conditionals/Resists:
Telepathy 5
Living Construct: Don't eat, drink breathe, sleep
Crystalline Mind: Resist 5/10/15 Psychic
Immortal Origin
Censure of Retribution: Each time a non-Oath target hits me, I gain +3 damage against my Oath target until EoMNT (cumulative).

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung


The entity supposed there wasn't much that their enemies could do but run. In the face of impending death, what else was there?

It recalled hearing a pair of travelers on a ship nearing its pull. They described their fear, and one commented that what they were experiencing, their desire to either fight for their lives or flee, was a common sentient response in situations of extreme duress; fight...or flight. The one that a person chooses, the traveler said, is revealing; about their true character, about their circumstances, the lives they led until they had to make that decision.

The entity supposed it knew now what these goblins truly were, in a grim sort of way.

Before it could ruminate further, it was pulled forward by its comrade. It glanced at Meriele.

<Much like a wormhole, I suppose. An interesting trick. I shall wait to ask further. Life provides us with such wonderful...distractions.>

With fittingly inhuman speed, it dashed within range of the rifleman. What did it think about, in this predicament it found itself in? Its comrades were falling, one by one. Now, it was alone, like the man in the dumpster. It seems it chose flight over fight. A pity, really. Either way, it would not live to fully consider what has occurred here.

<I said you would be next. I am not capable of lying.>

Before it could fully react, the entity crossed the distance between them. It swelled with energy, with the power of the cosmos. Taking steps backward, the rifleman tried and failed to block the entity's blows, each severing a limb. Left arm, right arm. Left leg, right leg, until it could no longer move.

<In the end, entropy shall claim the lives of us all. Be thankful it takes yours before the rest of the universe.>

Placing a palm onto the goblin's forehead, the entity, with a quick burst of energy, detonates it. Its limbless, now decapitated body lays still on the ground, blood pooling. The entity wondered if it should show more restraint in the future. This goblin was a sentient being, with breath in its lungs and blood in its veins. It most likely had friends, perhaps friends that died alongside it. A family. Did it deserve such brutality, such an onslaught, such a display of violence?

The entity flexed a purple hand, feeling power thrum through it. Was that all the entity was capable of...killing? What of its abilities was yet to be revealed?




So Unsung Moved from t to x12, Oathed the Rifleman, Charged to A13, Hit and did 9 with an MBA, Action Pointed, hit with Relentless Attack for 17. Not gonna bother with RA's move component as the gobbo is dead before it's relevant.

http://orokos.com/roll/425985 <- MBA Hit

http://orokos.com/roll/425987 <- 9 damage from MBA

http://orokos.com/roll/425988 <- hit with Relentless Attack

http://orokos.com/roll/425989 <- Relentless Attack does 17 damage




pre:
Unsung   						 
HP: 25/25 (THP: )        AC:   18    Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 7/7 (V: 6)       For:  12    Passive Perception: 22
Initiative: +0   	 Ref:  15    Action Points: 0
Speed: 6     	         Will: 17    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Deep Speech, Elven

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Overwhelming Strike     [ ] Shard Swarm                      [ ] Aspect of Might
Avenging Shackles       [ ] Oath of Enmity                
                        [X] Relentless Attack        
                        [ ] Abjure Undead
                        [ ] Divine Guidance
                    
Item Powers
N/A

Conditionals/Resists:
Telepathy 5
Living Construct: Don't eat, drink breathe, sleep
Crystalline Mind: Resist 5/10/15 Psychic
Immortal Origin
Censure of Retribution: Each time a non-Oath target hits me, I gain +3 damage against my Oath target until EoMNT (cumulative).

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at Aug 11, 2016 around 06:43

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

Surveying the battlefield, the entity could not bring itself to feel pleased. It seems that war, conflict, was an interesting animal, even more so than it had heard described. In one case, it seems to have brought on some distress.

<Miss...Meriele, was it?>

A few cautious steps, blood appearing to evaporate off of its body...or into it?

<This is a cause we have chosen, knowing that we would commit grave, desperate actions. Death is not something to turn away from; it surrounds us, it guides our actions, our decisions.>

Now, standing next to her, but not looking directly at her, but with eyes moving to find exits, clear escape routes.

<How exactly did you...?>

Fingers rub what would logically be its chin, if it had one.

<Instantaneously move all of my body's atoms, transfer the energy from one point to another? Scientifically speaking, that should be impossible. Not to mention it happened at faster-than-light speed. It seems we have both found rather interesting comrades.>

The entity had a vague sense of wanting to smile. It's really too bad it doesn't have a mouth.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

A piece of stolen Imperium technology. Well, stolen would be an assumption. But how else would she have acquired it? Does she, perhaps, have a connection...?

The thought is interrupted by the offered handshake. While the entity's is strong, it's also unsure; after all, its never had to shake someone's hand before.

<Miss Stoaga, I am unsure if what we have done here is worth congratulating. While we did accomplish our mission...>

It looks around once more.

<I am concerned about what we have left in our wake. While I do not fully experience emotion, per se, I would like to ask you something.>

A pause. If it could take breath, it would take a deep one.

<How does it feel? When you...take another sentient life?>

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung


Stoaga's words linger in the entity's mind as they encounter yet another enemy.

Their leader's language...the entity had heard it before. That of elves, drow. It wanted them to surrender. A time in which warriors, soldiers can drop their weapons, can cease killing one another.
Was it possible? Sentient life, from what the entity had seen, was incapable of it. And yet, there is belief, hope, in a future that doesn't require war, battle. Death.

The entity moves to the front lines, as it were.

<These drow do not have to die. Entropy will come for them in time, but we can...>

What can they do?

<We can allow them to face it on their terms. I shall not kill them. I...we, shall work towards a better future, for all sentient beings.>

A tightened fist.

<But we must stop them, all the same. To see that better future, we must live through today.>



Initiative of 4, Starting at K8.



pre:
Unsung   						 
HP: 25/25 (THP: )        AC:   18    Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 7/7 (V: 6)       For:  12    Passive Perception: 22
Initiative: +0   	 Ref:  15    Action Points: 0
Speed: 6     	         Will: 17    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Deep Speech, Elven

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Overwhelming Strike     [ ] Shard Swarm                      [ ] Aspect of Might
Avenging Shackles       [ ] Oath of Enmity                
                        [ ] Relentless Attack        
                        [ ] Abjure Undead
                        [ ] Divine Guidance
                    
Item Powers
N/A

Conditionals/Resists:
Telepathy 5
Living Construct: Don't eat, drink breathe, sleep
Crystalline Mind: Resist 5/10/15 Psychic
Immortal Origin
Censure of Retribution: Each time a non-Oath target hits me, I gain +3 damage against my Oath target until EoMNT (cumulative).

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

A pitched battle quickly unfolds. The entity, watching its comrades charge bravely into danger, considers its first move carefully. The movement of sentient life on the battlefield, it was quickly learning, was erratic at best; chaotic, random, seemingly without a predetermined plan, strategy. Including, as the rifleman showed him, leaving themselves open, isolated.

It was a lesson the entity would teach its enemy harshly.

Moving after Naivara, it pivots and runs to the rifleman who thought he was covering a good angle. Now, that angle would be used against him.

A hit to the chest knocks it back, and the entity follows, raining down blows all the while.

<Prove yourself worthy, or be denied by the stars themselves! You will not get a second chance!>

The drow looks worse for the wear, but is still standing. Something the entity is going to have to fix in the near future.



Move to q7, Oath the Rifleman, Hit with Relentless Attack for 23, Push it back to t5 and Shift to s5.


pre:
Unsung   						 
HP: 25/25 (THP: )        AC:   18    Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 7/7 (V: 6)       For:  12    Passive Perception: 22
Initiative: +0   	 Ref:  15    Action Points: 0
Speed: 6     	         Will: 17    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Deep Speech, Elven

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Overwhelming Strike     [ ] Shard Swarm                      [ ] Aspect of Might
Avenging Shackles       [ ] Oath of Enmity                
                        [X] Relentless Attack        
                        [ ] Abjure Undead
                        [ ] Divine Guidance
                    
Item Powers
N/A

Conditionals/Resists:
Telepathy 5
Living Construct: Don't eat, drink breathe, sleep
Crystalline Mind: Resist 5/10/15 Psychic
Immortal Origin
Censure of Retribution: Each time a non-Oath target hits me, I gain +3 damage against my Oath target until EoMNT (cumulative).

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

"If that is true, Ziv, then how...?"

Their fights, the complications, the whole experience left the entity rather confounded. This question was one it perhaps knew the answer to already, but simply had to ask, just to hear it spoken aloud.

"How do we know we're on the right side?"

Thankfully, the entity didn't have a side in this, per se; it was the closest thing their team had to a neutral party. But it still wanted to know. Perhaps, to better say it, it needed to know.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

The victors write history...a truism of sentient life as long as it has waged war against itself, for king and country. Hearing it did little to ease the entity's concerns, however.

It would have the rest of the night to read, to ponder, to consider this important facet of existence. It would have much rather slept.

--

The entity leans against a wall in the brief. There was not enough information to make a fair decision, in its opinion. What was this object? What was in the shipment? What caused their previous agent to suddenly go radio silent? Not to mention that their faces, their identities, were public knowledge. What could they possibly do in secret now? Disguises, false papers and IDs, can only go so far. How many times had the entity overheard soldiers discussing botched operations, missions with poor planning and execution that led to unnecessary...collateral damage?


<Given my nature, I am obviously ill-suited to covert operations. However, if it is as you say and both tasks are important, is there any reason we could not split our forces?>

A pause.

<I understand I must sound like a broken record asking this question again, but I believe it worth asking either way. There is sometimes power to be gained in separation, if only temporarily.>

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

<Our first priority should be determining exactly when, where, and how this agent went dark. The question we should be wondering about is this: if I were sending an important shipment...where would it go?>

It scans the horizon, looking for...well, for anything, really. Which there didn't seem to be much of.

<What is supposed to be here? Perhaps, in nothingness, the Imperium found something; something like a haystack in which to place their particular needle. The vastness, the emptiness of nothing is not to be underestimated. In this space, we will find our room to breathe.>

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

Garbed akin to what it had heard described as 'private eyes,' it wondered whether such thick, heavy clothing ever hindered movement, freedom of the self.

<Certainly obscuring enough, but...our first priority should be investigation, correct? The rest of our team certainly took their own paths there. I suppose now we shall have to find ours.>

It couldn't stop adjusting the angle of the hat, the collar on the coat, the hems on the sleeves. How did sentient life put up with wearing this all day? A question perhaps better left unanswered.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009



Unsung

This whole...radio thing was a bit strange. Surely, it had heard radio communications before. But it didn't necessarily have ears or a mouth. It focused its thoughts through the radio, trying its best to match the frequency at which it delivered messages.

<If I we were to attend, Tin...Can...>

a pause. Code names were also new. And strange.

<and I, should probably stay at a reasonable distance. The parties involved do not know us, and we are the most likely to be recognized.>

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009


Oath the Scientist, move to B11, Relentless Attack it for 16, push it to B8 and shift into A8


Hit and damage

Also, I'm alive, just posting on the run here. After this combat I should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009


Overwhelming Strike the Scientist for 9, I shift to B7, it goes to A8.


The roll

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply