Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is all real interesting stuff, thanks to everyone who's contributing.

I mean, all I can say about MIPS is that the annoying rabbit in Super Mario 64 is named after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Going west from brown takes you to the home quadrant, but going back through the sector exit (now east) takes you to the red quadrant. That doesn't make any sense.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

While your explanations are clear, it's all still deep magic to me. It must've taken a lot of trial and error to come up with all of those tricks.

What I do wonder is how the programming went back in those days. Did they write in some higher level language and compile that to the Atari instructions or did they write those instructions directly? Did they have anything resembling modern debugging tools?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, did you make up the colors/names of the sectors yourself?

• Locked thread