Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Tried watching Bojack Horseman I think I made it 3 episodes in I thought it was boring haha my life's a depressing mess but I have a horse head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Junkfist posted:

Tried watching Bojack Horseman I think I made it 3 episodes in I thought it was boring haha my life's a depressing mess but I have a horse head.

it's one of those things where the writers decided halfway through the first season, "hey, how about instead of making a bad derivative show, let's try making a good one"

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

stop typing about Some Other Show™

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Oh Hell No posted:

it's one of those things where the writers decided halfway through the first season, "hey, how about instead of making a bad derivative show, let's try making a good one"

I think they were like "If we make this show bleak at the beginning these idiots won't watch it, so let's trick the fuckers."

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Science teacher's slam piece was pretty

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Booblord Zagats posted:

Science teacher's slam piece was pretty

Even their teacher guy nailed it. He's a good teacher that just loves science and nerdy poo poo so much that he can't help himself.
This show was hella good and I haven't enjoyed something so completely in a long time. I also went into it blind based on everyone not shutting up about how I had to watch Stranger Things. That and Stephen King said I should watch it too.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

KakerMix posted:

Even their teacher guy nailed it. He's a good teacher that just loves science and nerdy poo poo so much that he can't help himself.
This show was hella good and I haven't enjoyed something so completely in a long time. I also went into it blind based on everyone not shutting up about how I had to watch Stranger Things. That and Stephen King said I should watch it too.

hell yeah when the teacher just knew all about the plane of shadow and poo poo

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dog days are over posted:

I felt like I was watching a Stephen King novel playing out, which is extremely my poo poo. Good TV show.

This. Reminded me of Firestarter/The Body/The Mist. Probably other stories of this that I'm forgetting too.

I watched the first episode on Sunday and just finished the season. It was awesome, the best season of anything I've watched in a long time.

I was thinking/hoping that in the end the Chief would adopt Eleven and go into hiding in some other country or something. But the ending was very satisfying in any event.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
On EP 8, getting gooooooooood

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I liked this show a lot. I'm really nervous about s2. I would have thought a totally new character list would be have been better, but we'll see!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
show would have been better as a 3-4 hour movie like stephen kings It or the Stand or something. Making it 10+ hours makes it drag more than it needs to

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

JakeP posted:

show would have been better as a 3-4 hour movie like stephen kings It or the Stand or something. Making it 10+ hours makes it drag more than it needs to

Your opinion is not good

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

JakeP posted:

It's 8 episodes long, each being about an hour long. I don't think it drags at all.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

darkhand posted:

I liked this show a lot. I'm really nervous about s2. I would have thought a totally new character list would be have been better, but we'll see!

Same. It'd be a gamble, but multiple stories with some key connections could be cool.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Finished it up.

First season was good.

I will admit to watching it "in the background", it's gonna need a bigger "hook".

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

stranger things is probably the best original programming netflix has done and i say this as a person who likes basically all of the original programming netflix has done

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I finished this and penny dreadful, is hemlock grove any good or what is?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Hemlock Grove is fetid clam chowder greenlit solely due to the final Twilight movie's profits, stay far away

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
the soundtrack to this show is pretty loving decent

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

JakeP posted:

Good thing it was about seven hours then. All the eps were under an hour and it was only 8 eps. I thought it was perfectly paced without any extemporaneous scenes or subplots and clipped along at a steady pace without feeling rushed throughout.

Probably my favorite show since Breaking Bad. All of it was excellent. I'm glad they're not going the anthology copout route that so many people seem to be advocating. When has that turned out good? True Detective? American Horror Story? These characters were too sympathetic and good to ditch for the unknown. If Netflix doesn't gently caress with the creators and force them to do stupid poo poo like networks do, there's no reason to believe the second season will be bad. Just give them more money and turn them loose, especially since they've said they already had plans for a second season going.

Some frog DJ mixed the intro out into a full track and its pretty great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pab-OqBIKJk

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

IDk all the characters just seem to hit their apex of resolution at the end of s1. Cycling them through more conflict just seems weird or that it won't portray them as well, but hopefully they pull it off.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Guys, what about the egg in the shadow plane?

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Stranger Things Alternative Score:

https://soundcloud.com/oscillian/stranger-things-alternative-score

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

darkhand posted:

i liked hemlock grove for pure entertainment value. it's fun and not trashy like true blood.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

darkhand posted:

Here you go, this is a 1:20 long warning to stay away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSzYGcPs_bo

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Good show. Good soundtrack. Good kid with no teeth.

Few minor gripes, but I'm not going to be "that cynical bastard" for once. :)

The Beave
Feb 4, 2004

ladies...

A Pale Horse posted:

Good thing it was about seven hours then. All the eps were under an hour and it was only 8 eps. I thought it was perfectly paced without any extemporaneous scenes or subplots and clipped along at a steady pace without feeling rushed throughout.

Probably my favorite show since Breaking Bad. All of it was excellent. I'm glad they're not going the anthology copout route that so many people seem to be advocating. When has that turned out good? True Detective? American Horror Story? These characters were too sympathetic and good to ditch for the unknown. If Netflix doesn't gently caress with the creators and force them to do stupid poo poo like networks do, there's no reason to believe the second season will be bad. Just give them more money and turn them loose, especially since they've said they already had plans for a second season going.

Some frog DJ mixed the intro out into a full track and its pretty great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pab-OqBIKJk

Yep, this right here. The characters and actors are too good to be one and done.

But that remix, it's awful. Most of it is unrecognizable as the original song.

Here's a 10 minute version that's blended much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHNlx0pPIU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

darkhand posted:

IDk all the characters just seem to hit their apex of resolution at the end of s1. Cycling them through more conflict just seems weird or that it won't portray them as well, but hopefully they pull it off.

I think there's the possibility of that, but I also think they've left themselves plenty of room to move forward. The Duffers have already said that if they get a second season (and why the gently caress haven't they gotten a second season already?) they're going to treat it as a "sequel" rather than a direct continuation of the show so far. Now that's fairly ambiguous and open to interpretation but what I hope it means is that they take it in a slightly different direction than last season. Maybe leave the military out of it and focus on the town more. I was thinking that since Will is spitting up those Todash slugs or whatever they are, maybe they're going to spread the corruption from the Upside Down into our world and the effects that has on the town. Whatever the case I'll definitely give them the benefit of the doubt and will watch next season.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
oooo nooooooo its the demigorgon

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JakeP posted:

oooo nooooooo its the demigorgon

Have you ever tried to fight the demigorgon?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I've fought a hemidemisemigorgon, which I believe is 1/8th of a gorgon.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

it's a demogorgon you fucktards

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

as in, it's gonna demolish your rear end

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
can't wait to own some guy who tries to make small talk with me about this stupid show and i can tell him with a straight face that i haven't seen it and i'm not getting a netflix subscription

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

psychokitty posted:

but that would be even worse than a gorgon, and a gorgons really bad

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

psychokitty posted:

suck my dick, you fuckman

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I AM THE TOILET posted:

can't wait to own some guy who tries to make small talk with me about this stupid show and i can tell him with a straight face that i haven't seen it and i'm not getting a netflix subscription

i don't even have a facebook

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Iron Crowned posted:

suck my dick, you fuckman

lick and suck my ovaries

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Tiny slugboy will learn to bamf around like nightcrawler as friends convince him to teleport into girls locker rooms in homage to 80s screwball comedies.

He will also use body as slugfactory to scare bullies and gross out older sisters before they can make out with Steve Harrington.

In finale all children and teenagers and parents will join a police academy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had avoided coming back to this thread until I had finished season 1, and now that I have done so I can also agree that this show is cool and good.

I appreciated a lot of the references, and I don't think the many nods to John Carpenter have been really acknowledged in the thread so far.

• Locked thread