Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
  • Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

"Uh." I stare at Silver Bolt as he runs off for a second, before looking back at Legerdeman. "No idea." Still sitting on the windmill, I pull out my phone to send a quick text.

@Silver Bolt posted:

Whats up?

Then I slip my phone away and look back at the criminal turned putt putt cheater. "I can pass it on to Flaire, but it'd have a lot more weight if you'd offer something up first. We'd be trying to take them down, so it's not like it'd hurt you, you know?" Bunny Bat? Who? I certainly didn't see Bunny Bat here, what are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste



Freak: 0 / Danger: -1 / Savior: +3 / Superior: +0 / Mundane: +1
Potential: 1/5 / Conditions:

To Barracuda posted:

Family stuff. Sorry, BBL

All I could think about as I drove home was the day after that big interdimension rift fight, where so many heroes had been killed. Mom hadn't been in one of the main teams but she'd helped defend this area of town, and she'd gotten hurt pretty badly. There was footage on the news of her grappling line being cut, as she was dodging away from the laser fire, but she'd fallen out of frame, and it was so distant it was hard to make out. I remember sitting in that hard plastic chair in Liberty Hospital, wondering if they'd even let us go see her. No one would tell us what had happened, if she had broken bones or burns or what. Grandpa took care of things though, he made sure we got upstairs.

She was only on crutches for about half the time that she should have been, and I know she was mixing something from Grandpa's garden into her drinks, but he wouldn't tell me what when I asked. Said I'd find out when I was older. I'd forgotten all about it.

There's a storage shed behind the Dollar General a few blocks from Mom's house that I pay rent on to store the Argent-Cycle when I need to get home quick. Can't exactly run up to my front door in my full gear or someone's going to notice, especially now that I'm on a super-team. So I parked it, changed into normal clothes, and locked it up, then ran for the door.

----

Nika posted:

"I mean... she's probably fine, right? We're just doing this because it's what she taught us to do... right?"

I hugged her back, trying not to let her see how worried I was. "Of course she's fine, but just in case we're breaking into the basement workshop to find out what the heck she's been up to. Come on. And bring that grenade."

I headed for the stairs.

---

Noting OOC that BB was following Silver home, but he's too upset to have noticed.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Silver Bolt, she quickly nods and says, "I'll be right back." She runs inside and returns with a collapsible steel baton that she slides under the basement lock to pry it up. After the two of you give the lock a few solid pulls, it snaps off. If asked about the baton, she says, sheepishly, "Well... I've... sort of snuck into the Yard to do some personal combat training on my own. Don't tell Mom, ok?"

Of course, the REAL lock on the basement door at the bottom of the stairs is much more formidable, but thankfully, it's got a fingerprint scanner that both of you can open with no problem. Mom may not have wanted you casually snooping around down here, but she's always thinking ahead about these sorts of things.

What's the workshop look like, anyway? Generally speaking, I mean. Because right now... it looks basically like that, except maybe short a few supplies. Nika bites her lip and then asks, "Now what?"

What do you do?

Barracuda, the petulant putt putt cheat folds his arms in the way that only petulant teens can manage, before remembering his persona. He scrambles around for a moment, flustered, before remembering himself. He says, in a grave tone, "That information is the only guarantee that I have that Miss Flaire will return to see me, so I am afraid I must decline." He looks hopeful for a second and asks, "Maybe you could call her, and we could all meet in order to go and apprehend that blackguard!"

What do you do?

Bunny Bat, you catch most of the conversation as you eavesdrop from around the corner. Short version: They're worried about their superhero mom, because she's missing. You have any theories as to what happened to her, by the way?

Anyway, now you've got yourself a bit of a quandary. You might want to keep following to see what's up, but... sneaking into a hunter's basement workshop, right behind a pair of young, jumpy hunters? That... doesn't strike you as the best of ideas. Even if you don't get staked, if you're caught, Silver Bolt sure won't be too happy, and he's already go to bat for you a few times.

That's when you get a message on your team communicator. It... doesn't seem to match any of the contacts on it, but after the screen crakles a few times, the name appears at the top of the message.

Lag posted:

Hey, know you've been busy being a good two shoes lately, but I really need a favor.

Right now there's a guy that's got me more or less trapped in at the Galaxy Arcade.

He's not coming in, but I'm not going out. But it closes in three hours, and then he's probably going to beat the crap out of me.

If you can come by and do a little of that scary vampire stuff to get him off my back, I'd appreciate it.

Come on, just like old times, right?

So, what do you do?

Tatsu, Speaking of training, these are much more impressive than the last set of hounds She'd set on you. She's getting better! ...Now that's a scary thought. But, it does looks like there were some trade offs with Her current method. As you trade punches, you can see their skin start to peel and flake off, revealing the thick, grey hide beneath the papery disguise. And whether they're just faster than you expected or that disgusting revelation distracted you, one of them gives you a nasty haymaker that sends you flying back into a nearby dumpster, leaving a sizable dent as you bounce off and fall to the ground.

Take a powerful blow

The two of them are closing in as you hear Jace yell "Tatsu!" in a horrified voice. She's starts to run over to help you up, but the guy pulls her back, trying to get the both of them out of the line of fire. The shout distracts one of the hounds approaching you, and after a moment, the wheels begin to turn in its cruel little mind. You see it break off from the other one, and instead rush the pair of them!

What do you do?

Flaire, Turns out the answer is yes! He can take a sudden heat spike just fine, as demonstrated by how he just runs right through your firestorm. You try to duck to the side, but one of his outstretched arms clotheslines you.

Take a powerful blow

That's gotta hurt! Still, at least Matt (?) and his girlfriend (???) ducked like you said. But... well, if Matt's a fan, he's sure to how you try to portray yourself as a professional. And professionals don't get bowled over by mooks. You're either gonna have to REALLY impress him with the rest of the fight or somehow bribe the hell out of him. At least, if you don't mind being the butt of your twitter feed's jokes for the next few days.

Anyway, you're flat on your butt, head probably pounding, and one of those nasty zombie things is looming over you while another one is running towards Matt and the girl with violence in its eyes. What do you do?

Anyway, what do you do?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +0 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

Are you KIDDING me?! I actually get a chance to both show off to and protect one of my childhood friends - all without letting him know who I secretly am - and I gently caress it up like that?! Stupid, stupid. I'm actually more pissed at myself than I am at the dumb monster (since its not a person, it just looks like one, it was my mistake not noticing that earlier and utilizing stronger spells) but don't worry, it's definitely next up on my list of things to be mad at. As the one looms over me, having knocked me flat on my rear end and nearly knocked the wind out of me, I've got some big plans for this zombie or whatever it is - and wouldn't you just know it, all of them happen to involve tons of Fire!

<Rauri> Take a Powerful Blow
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9 = 9
<Rauri> meh
Taking two conditions, Angry and Guilty, but pressing on!


As I stagger back to my feet as gracefully as possible, my plan to destroy the monster that just hit me in the most grandiose fashion I'm capable of has to change on the fly - since it looks like Tatsu hosed up even worse than I did. At least mine's still fighting me, after all, but the one he squared off against is running straight towards Matt and What's Her Face over there! Goddammit, if he was like... any other civilian, I'd probably just save myself and pretend I didn't notice. Easy enough to shift the blame to Tatsu if I have to, right? 'cuz I mean, it's not like I should have to get smacked around by this dumb zombie, they were his problem and not mine, and yeah have I mentioned recently that I'm not super tough or even regular tough? Really don't want this gross monster touching me again either, so there's that too.

Problem is, it's NOT any other civilian - it's Matt. I may have been the one to sever contact, but I'm not letting the times we spent together reading comics and arguing at school and debating who the coolest hero is mean nothing. Though speaking of, not only do I have to save him, I gotta do this all in a way that looks good too. Only a split second to think, and then I spring into action!

Pointing towards the monster that ISN'T about to hit me because I guess it's the price of being a hero, I let loose with a particularly clever spell. This thing wants to charge right at em, right? Let's see if it can slow down when it needs to. "Oh no you don't! Ring of Fire!" Let's see it try and menace them while it's trapped within the, well, Ring of Fire I've just created around it! The spell doesn't last all that long, but it'll keep them safe for now.

<Rauri> Defend Matt
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 8+1 = 9
Choosing to remove Angry but exposing self to additional danger aka the one currently menacing her (unless Tatsu wants to send a team my way or defend Flaire)


I, on the other hand, have a zombie I probably needed to deal with, and he's right behind me...

Rauri fucked around with this message at Sep 9, 2016 around 08:19

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.



Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry Guilty | Location: Out and About


(11:54:40 PM) ShootaBoy: Take a Powerful Blow
(11:54:40 PM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6
(11:54:40 PM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 8 = 8
Guess I'm strugglin'. Takin' Angry and Guilty.


Yeah. Great job Tatsu. Fuckin' A plus plus. I let Flaire bein' here throw me off, and now a person, even if it's a really annoying one, is gonna get hurt. And that makes me mad.

I force myself back to my feet, and steel myself for how much what I'm about to do is gonna suck. 'Cause I'm not fireproof, not by a long shot. But this is all I can think of in the time I got, so it's plan A or nothin'. I charge the guy goin' after Flaire, and tackle the both of us down into the ring of fire.

It kinda burns.

Spendin' a Team to boost that 9 to a 10.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?



Fre: +0 | Dan: +2 | Sav: -2 | Sup: 0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Location: Silver's House


Oh. Whoops. Here I thought Silver is gonna do the solo thing and get himself killed... but apparently it's just family trouble. gently caress I'm not sure if I wanna go in there...

bzzt. bzzt.

My communicator? Eh? What's this? Oh, Lag. What's she want... Oh come on! I wasn't certain about this, and now? Gaaah.

I... guess I'll shoot Silver a message and then bail out Lag.

Message to Silver Bolt posted:

Hi! Uh I'm really sorry but I kind of followed you home. Please don't be mad at me I thought you're going to do some sort of stupid 'this is my fight' crap and get yourself killed over something.

Uh don't be mad about me thinking that's stupid either pleaaaase! Anyway I got to bail out a bud so don't do anything stupid while I'm gone okay?

-Bunny
...

Aaaaand send.

Next stop, Lag. Today has been... a lot busier than I'd hoped...

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

'Family Stuff' doesn't mean quite the same thing when it comes to Silver Bolt's family anyway. That's troubling, especially given what I saw last night. Hmm.

@Silver Bolt posted:

Your mom? Let me know if I can help.

Sighing again, I slip my phone back away. "Fine." And my phone comes right back out to dial up Flaire. She better answer this, I don't want to hang around with a dorklord like Legerdeman for too long if I have to.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste



Freak: 0 / Danger: -1 / Savior: +3 / Superior: +0 / Mundane: +1
Potential: 1/5 / Conditions:

BB's message is about the last thing on Earth I want to read right now. She followed me home? HOW? I guess she can fly but I didn't think those stubby little bat wings of hers were that fast! Alright, let's NOT tell Nika about this, ever. She's already freaking about BB being on my team. I'm not sure I want to know what she means by 'bailing out a bud' either...

'Cuda says she wants to help, which I appreciate, but it's not really something she can help with. So yeah, Basement time.

---

So, Mom's workshop is a lot bigger than mine, and she has a lot more of... well, everything. There's kinda two sections, the alchemy shop and the weaponry shop. Weaponry used to be super old fashioned, but her and grandpa routed a big power cable down here a few years ago and the old tools all got replaced with new power tools. Sears got totally cleaned out that week, lemme tell ya. She lets me use the lathe sometimes to do bolt-shafts. Nika is the one who gets to play in the alchemy shop, which is all glass jars in neat rows filled with weird poo poo. Well, mostly it's everyday stuff like salt and cedar chips and silver shavings, but the top shelf has the eyeballs and pickled pigs and black jars that just have labels that we're never allowed to touch.

There's no clue where Mom went here. Or... is there?

[14:59] <mistaya> Assessing the basement:
[14:59] <mistaya> !r 2d6
[14:59] <Krysmbot> mistaya, 10 = 10
Questions: What here can I use to contact Mom? What here is the biggest threat?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Silver Bolt, well, you HAVE been trained in investigation by your mother, after all, even if you're nowhere near her level, you find a few interesting things.

First off, upon closer inspection, all of the high end, dangerous stuff? The high explosive bombs and the pure silver bolts? That's all gone. ...And... whatever she went after? She must have been in a hurry. Normally there's a "You take it, you replace it" policy on this sort of thing. Not that anyone's going to be checking up on her workshop too often, but it's just good practice to leave replacements brewing. And you know that your mother is nothing if not a paragon of discipline, so she neglect that unless she was in a BIG hurry.

As for contacting her? Well... she apparently broke one of her league communicators, and it's still sitting out on workbench. It's still busted, but if you find someone who could fix it... you'd be able to read all of her messages. Which on the one hand would probably enough to tell you where she went, but on the other hand, hooooooooo boy, who knows what else you'd find on there?

What do you do?

Barracuda, as you wait for a response, you check the time. You figure you have an hour till you have to be at your date. What are you gonna wear? Do you have a plan on... well... not being miserable?

Bunny Bat, the trip across town to Galaxy Arcade is just as awkward as the trip to the park, but soon enough you arrive. The first thing you notice is a league hero sitting in the middle of the street outside of the arcade. You recognize him as Perseus, a hero famed for slaying wild monsters. Considering all the super science and magic rituals gone awry, he's pretty busy nowadays.

The arcade windows are filled with gawking faces, staring out at the street. But, as he sees you approach, he stands up, and walks over to you. Any hesitation you might have about his motives are dismissed as he sticks his hand out and gives you a firm, respectful handshake, saying, "Bunny Bat! It's great to finally see you! I always suspected you weren't the monster everyone had you pegged for, and I'm glad to see that you're doing your best to help people now. You all did great yesterday! Now... is there something I can help you with?"

...Well, that's got to be a refreshing change of pace. Also, you spot Lag peeking out one of the windows, watching you. What do you do?

He's telling you what you are. Namely, a legit hero-in-training. -1 Freak, +1 Savior.

Tatsu and Flaire, you both manage to protect the civies. After a bit more skirmishing, the two of you square up with the three of them.

Flaire: Just as a heads up, you've still got to impress Matt if you're going to get out of this with your rep intact. How do you plan to showboat for him?

Also, you get a notification on your communicator that Barracuda's trying to get you to come help convince a freshly released Ledgerdeman. But, uh, you got your hands a little full right now. Also, WHAT?! That was fast, right?

Tatsu: You can that these guys are doing a bit of a rope-a-dope, with the pair of you as the dopes. Also, what's up with Flaire being here, anyway? Do you wish it was just you right now, or are you actually thankful for the help?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +0 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

"Nice job Tatsu!" I yell as he smolders on the flames along with our foes, having managed to push the one that was about to him me in there with him. On the one hand, I actually think that sort of stuff hurts him, but on the other he gets right back up after getting hurt and I wish I could do that - the dumb hit from that fat zombie is near certainly going to bruise, which sucks. No swimsuits for a couple days, blehhhh.

It looks like Matt's OK, and I've got priority messages. Checking them like it's no big deal, entirely in an effort to show off, it seems like Ledgerdeman is out of jail somehow and wants to talk to me. gently caress! The whole him being a good guy thing sounded great because he was supposed to get a ton of jail time for robbing a bank and threatening tons of innocent people! Did he use my name to help get released or something? Is he out on bail? This is bizarre and makes no sense but I'm sort of fighting zombies so if I'm going to have time to respond, I'll need to make it myself.

Speaking of zombies (aka every combatant here but me!) they've managed to get back to their feet, and these three seem entirely too eager to dodge our attacks. It's so tiresome, it's like they're designed to make me look bad - I've had enough of this! They're not going to ruin this chance I have to impress Matt!

Reaching both of my arms out as wide as they can go, I start to build up magic behind me - causing a blazing pyre to form off my uniform, concentrated into two firey jets that resemble wings. Once everyone's gotten a good look, I proceed, and slam my hands together, fingers outstretched, like I'm about to fire some energy beam at them. "Phoenix Feathers~"

<Rawri> Flaire Directly Engage
<Rawri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rawri, 6 = 6
Wanna spend another team Tatsu? If so, giving him an opportunity!


It's not a beam, though - because that'd be cliche and boring. No, my fans want excitement! A single blast is out, a thousand swarming tiny blasts looks much cooler! Let's see them see through this! "You're up Tatsu!" I announce, figuring he's probably regenerated by now. If he has and he hits them it'll totally look like I planned it too, and I NEED to show off here. Speaking of, to top things off, I withdraw my phone from my pocket while the smoke clears and tap out a quick message.

text to Barracuda posted:

Wait he's out already? Am fighting some zombies near Galaxy Arcade w Tatsu, TV near you? Can you see if we're on it? Tell Ledgey hi but not too hi~

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.



Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry Guilty | Location: Out and About


Oh yeah, 'cause I really wanted your encouragement here. 'Nice job' is just what everyone wants to hear after gettin' set on fire savin' a teammate. And always with the stupid attack names! Yeah just go ahead and tell the bad guys what you're gonna do in the next ten seconds! That'll work out for ya! Oh and would ya look at that! She went and gave them plenty of time to get out of the way of this stupid, giant, whatever this is! Guess I gotta fix this one too! Great!

I charge the goons, grabbin' all of them in a bear hug. I don't have a full grip, but I'm more than strong enough to hold them here while Flaire's dumb attack lands. And I just finished being on fire. I don't know why she's here, but she is gettin' an earful and a half once this is over. I'd have been done by now if she hadn't jumped. Plus people wouldn't have been in danger. Plus I wouldn't have been set, on, FIRE!

Spendin' a Team to boost Flaire's attack to a 7.

Once we're through her stupid attack, I'm pissed and more than ready to hurt these idiots. I re-adjust my grip so I'm just holdin' the one, and then I pull a repeat of this mornin', and use him to beat the crap outta the other two. Hey, if it ain't broke then ya can use it to break stuff.

(1:07:24 AM) ShootaBoy: Directly Engage the Goons with a Goon
(1:07:24 AM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6+2
(1:07:24 AM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 8+2 = 10
Resistin' their blows and takin' their numbers away, I'm breakin' at least one of these guys.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?



Fre: -1 | Dan: +2 | Sav: -1 | Sup: 0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Location: Galaxy Arcade


"Thank you, thank you. Nice to hear someone around here have a positive opinion of me... and an appreciation of the classics. Although I would say that my fashion sense is a few centuries less out of date," I joke.

Giving Lag a tiny bit of a glance before returning to Perseus, I continue. "I could ask much the same! I got reports of, and I quote, 'a weirdo hanging out on front of Galaxy Arcade', so I decided to check it out. Glad to see it was nothing bad, but what are you doing here, exactly? People are apparently considering your presence here a public disturbance, and we both know bureaucrats hate public disturbances almost as much as I hate bureaucrats."


Piercing Perseus' Mask: 2d6+3 11 Woo! Choosing:

How could I get your character to leave?
How could I gain Influence over you?
What do you intend to do?


Also, gleefully accepting his label shift.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste



Freak: 0 / Danger: -1 / Savior: +3 / Superior: +0 / Mundane: +1
Potential: 1/5 / Conditions:

I held up the communicator like the holy grail. "Nika, check this out, it'd have everything on it, for sure!" I tapped the buttons, but it didn't turn on. Password locked? Oh, no, the screen was cracked. "Aww, nevermind, It's busted." I couldn't keep the disappointment out of my voice. WAIT A SECOND, maybe I couldn't fix it, but I was on a super-team! I pocketed it.

Looking at all the empty shelves, I couldn't help being really worried. Mom didn't usually carry more ammo than she needed, and to take that much ordinance meant she expected to use it. Was it some kind of secret mission for the League, or had she gone out on her own? I just didn't know.

"Stay here and wait for Grandpa," I told Nika. "I'm gonna see if I can get this communicator fixed somehow. I know a few people who are good with stuff like this." I gave her my best big bro hug. "We'll find her, don't worry."

---

Once I was outside I shot a text to Bunny.

To BB posted:

Yo, I heard you had a buddy who's good with computers. Hook me up and I'll owe you one.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

Ugh, I don't have much time left for this. Flaire doesn't answer, but she does send back an unhelpful text. She's fighting zombies? Well if she has time to text she can't be in much trouble. Irritated, both by her and the upcoming date, I slip my phone away again. "Right. Flaire says she'd absolutely love to meet you to talk about this soon. With a couple of winks and a heart. I've gotta get out of here, so give me your contact information and I'll work things out for a meeting." Once I've got the information, I head out.

Traffic and getting out of my outfit discreetly means I need a lot of that hour time for this. And no, I don't have any plans to make this non-miserable. If I could invite one of my real friends to come along it might help, but that's not really a date if I do that. Maybe someone'll attack the ball game. That'd be nice. I've got most of my Barracuda suit on under my clothes, luckily no one will ever be able to tell because my parents would never let me out of the house in an outfit that shows skin.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Bunny Bat, he laughs and claps you on the back REALLY hard before he says, "Maybe, but the classics never go out of style, right?"

He does frown when you mention the disturbance, saying, "Well, I'm afraid I can't leave quite yet. There's a villain hiding out in there that I'm after. For some reason, she's been causing quite the ruckus with the traffic lights around here, and since I was in the neighborhood..." From the way he trails off, it's clear he'd much rather be out hunting monsters, but he's a dutiful league member who's going on the incident he was assigned.

Embarrassed, he adds, "I'm waiting out here because.... I was banned from the Arcade after I broke their strength tester last time I was here." He coughs and quickly moves on, "Anyway, I look forward to hearing more about your good work, Bunny Bat!" He gives you another hard clap on the back and returns to his vigil.

Also, you get Silver Bolt's text, which... yeah, Lag could probably help, but don't you have a favor you want to ask Lag? What do you do?

You've got a feeling that he's not really used to dealing with real people, so he's a bit of a soft touch. If you get Lag to apologize and make restitution somehow, he'll let her go with only a lecture.
If you resolve this peacefully in a way that doesn't result in him waiting around all day, he'll be convinced you're working hard about being a real hero, and you'll get influence over him.
As of now, he intends to wait until the Arcade closes and Lag gets tossed out so he can confront her.


Barracuda, hard plastic chairs, droning music, and the smell of lovely food and shittier beer. Yep, nothing like baseball.

Which of your high society friends is there at the game too? It's a bit unfortunate they can't save you from the date, but you do have a nice little chat that distracts you for... one measly out?!

This truly is hell.

Casey keeps talking about scores and percentages and other baseball minute. He really is into this sort of thing. What do you try to steer the conversation to in order to make the time pass semi-pleasantly? He's happy to get to spend time with you, so he'll mostly talk about anything you show significant interest in. But he'll always bring it back around to baseball if there's a long enough lull in the conversation.

Eventually Casey actually changes the subject away from baseball after he checks his phone for a moment. He cocks his head, looking confused for a moment before asking you, "You know a lot about Barracuda, right? Did you know she's gay? I had no idea!"

If you, quite understandably, are confused by this "revelation," he shows you a tweet from Flaire's page.

Rauri posted:

@Flaire ✔️ posted:

Having a good morning, had a better night~ #MoonlightVigil
With a picture of the following note:

Note posted:

Flaire,
Had to jet, didn't want to wake you up. Thanks for the fun night
-Barracuda

That's... not what you meant. Er, I mean, it wasn't, right? Do you think Flaire really thought there was something more going on? Or was that just to feed her social media scene?

What do you do?

Silver Bolt, she says, "Yeah, you got it." All the posturing and playful threats from last night are nowhere to be found as she gives you a big hug, and she adds, "And be safe, ok?"

So, while you wait for Bunny Bat to respond, you think a bit more about her. Do you think Bunny Bat had an ulterior motives in following you home? You know that Mom would freak the hell out if she found out that Bunny Bat knows where you and your family live.

While you're pondering all of this, the team's automatic news filter sends you a link to the newly published article by Li Yinde. The title of the article reads: "Sources close to Moonlight Vigil question Bunny Bat's reform, suggest she is danger to her team and others."

Speaking of, you spot some choice quotes:

"They pointed to the lack of restitution she made for her string of cruel and vicious assaults across the city, even victimizing one of her current teammates as proof that she has yet to turn over a new leaf."
"...skeptical of her ability to even function as a team player..."
"A knowledgeable source asserted that almost no vampire has managed to remain on the straight and narrow for long."

You keep reading, but it doesn't get any better. Do you feel bad about giving the info in hindsight? Do you think Bunny Bat is going to blame you and/or Flaire?

What do you do?

Tatsu and Flaire your combo attack goes off great! Flaire catches one of them with the whip, decapitating him. His body instantly begins dissolving into dust. Tatsu, you have to really work the guy over, but eventually, you feel the web of magic holding him up fracture and he too starts dissolving in your arms.

Which leaves the last one, the middle aged asian "man." Taking advantage of the sudden slackness of Tatsu's grip caused by the disintegrating body, he bum rushes Flaire again. But, this time, you're ready for it, Flaire. You turn in a tight circle and whirl your whip around, sending it right towards his head. Suddenly, his jaw distends, and he swallows the flame whip, sucking it up as if it were a stray bit of pasta.

But, it looks like that extra bit of magic was a step too far. He lurches forward a few more steps before tumbling to the ground. He begins to swell and glow white hot. Tatsu, you manage to take cover behind a dumpster, but Flaire... The fire may not hurt you, Flaire, but the explosion does lift you off your feet and send you flying into one of the walls nearby.

Take a powerful blow

As the dust clears, it looks like the pair of civilians managed to duck into an alleyway. There's a sizable crater in the middle of the street, though. Still, that does look to be the fight.

What do you do?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?



Fre: -1 | Dan: +2 | Sav: -1 | Sup: 0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Location: Galaxy Arcade

"Ow! Hey, be careful. I am a fragile flower, you know!" I joke.

Prolly would have more of an effect if I actually flinched from it. But still, that hurt. If I hadn't vampire toughness to help me out that maaaay have been a cracked rib.

"Look, trust me as an ex-villain: Villains really, really hate waiting on traffic lights. It's just one of those things that happen if you're rule breaking anyway, you might as well ignore something as petty as that."

I sigh loudly.

"Look, I have a really good idea who it is. Ex-colleague of mine. How about this: You promise me to let them off with a warning and I tell them to knock it off and come out and apologize? Then we could both go our merry ways. I'm sure you'd rather be doing more interesting things than waiting a few hours for the Arcade. Like say, fighting monsters. I hear you're pretty good at that. And I also do have some inter-team things that I need to take care of, too."


Provoking Perseus: 2d6 8

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at Sep 21, 2016 around 21:48

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +0 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

Are you kidding me?! These things can eat my magic!!! That's not even remotely fair! It looks a bit like it was too much for him though - suddenly he's down, and I'm watching him in case it's some sort of trick, hands on my hips like I can't wait for this gross zombie to just get finished with whatever it's up to, unless it's exploding.

Turns out that was a bad idea though, since it actually does explode. With me five feet away. Looking directly at it. Turns out my flames won't hurt me, but shockwaves still exist and so does an intervening wall between me and the direction I was being blasted. End result is a lot of pain from the collision and me being effectively flashbanged.

<Rauri> Flaire Take a Powerful Blow
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 8+1 = 9
<Rauri> ewww
<Rauri> could be worse I guess
You give ground; your opposition gets an opportunity - Flaire is blinded and deafened for a bit, so Tatsu can manage the immediate post-battle activities without her being able to stop him.


Picking myself up off the ground, I'm having a hard time seeing or hearing, my back hurts, and there's basically no way that looked cool. I can't even tell if Matt saw it yet, since yeah blind, so I can only hope the explosion was too distracting. Leaning against the wall I just got knocked into, I'm gonna take a second or two to recover before I go greet him and his girlfriend. I'm sure Tatsu can keep me safe and won't say anything too stupid until I'm slightly better, and not barely seeing stars anymore.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.



Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry Guilty | Location: Out and About


Oh for gently caress's sake. She just stood there. Just stood there, and took it, full on. I can't even express how mind bendin'ly stupid what I just saw was. I don't think a livin' dictionary could! It was that dumb! Aren't heroes supposed to be smart? Does that not cover basic poo poo like, oh I dunno, DODGING?! She is so, so, so lucky that she's immune to fire, and that that was the last of them. gently caress, it's like she doesn't even know how to fight! And now there's a huge hole in the middle of the street, which will be really fun to get poo poo for later. And all of this is because she just had to jump in! Rrrrgh!

At least the people are safe. I move out from behind them dumpster, and head across the street, towards them. And Flaire.By the time I'm passed the hole, I can already tell that they're fine. So instead of checkin' on them, I stop at Flaire. She's hurt, no way she wouldn't be after that, but since she's standin' and movin' it's obviously not bad. Shame, maybe a bit more pain woulda knocked some fuckin' sense into her head. This whack could have, but I doubt it. Little bonk like that would never get through her thick skull.

"Do ya not have a brain, Flaire? Is that it? 'Cause I really can't think of another reason why any of this happened. I don't get why you're tryin' to be a hero, honestly. Ya care more about lookin' good than savin' people, and ya clearly don't have a single idea of what the poo poo you're doin' in a fight!" I stop rantin' for a second while I catch my breath. gently caress. This ain't how a team is supposed to be. You're supposed to be able to trust the team with your back, but I don't think I'd trust Flaire to light a friggin' candle.

"Nine PM. Trainin' room. You're gonna learn how to fight, and you're gonna learn how to fight with others. Even if it kills me."

(2:33:29 PM) ShootaBoy: Provoke Flaire
(2:33:29 PM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6+1
(2:33:29 PM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 3+1 = 4+1-2= 3
Welp. Even with the extra +1 from Rival, so much for that training session.
edit: whoops forgot about Guilty so that roll bombs even harder

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +0 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

Oh hey cool, Tatsu's here to thank me! I mean, it makes sense - I did massively inconvenience myself to help him, even though he was a jerk to me yesterday, and we took down three zombies by just ourselves. We even kept everyone but me safe! Not exactly a perfect performance, but we've got every reason to celebrate and oh he's not thanking me.

Nope, he starts things off by asking me if I've got a brain and it's all downhill from there. Are you kidding me? The only person more committed than me to being a true hero on our team is Silver Bolt, maybe, and I'm great in a fight. If you count Tatsu, I took out three zombies in that last fight! There's no concern from him for me at all, even though I just did all that to help him and I got hurt because of it. And now he's trying to butt his way into my busy social life? Sorry dude, I see what this is about now - and you're out of luck, since there's no room for someone in my calendar that's trying to neg me.

Super tempting to ask him if he's the big expert on brains since he's a gross zombie that eats them, but we're in public - so we gotta not look like bickering idiots. Holding my forehead for a moment under the pretense of adjusting my hat, I very quickly hiss to him "We're in public, if people see us arguing with each other it hurts the whole team." And me! Matt's RIGHT THERE, he'll overhear if Tatsu keeps berating me!

Scanning our audience real quick, it seems as if we've got more than just Matt and What's Her Face watching us now - our (my) heroics were bound to attract an audience. Despite my injures, the show must go on! Giving everybody a quick bow, I snap my finger and point up, sending a couple weak and colorful fireballs streaking into the sky, where they explode in various shapes - my own superior version of your standard fireworks finale. "Danger's over everyone, thanks to the Moonlight Vigil!" Oh yeah, I'm adding a dramatic pose in here too, since why not?

Spending a second point of hold to declare the civilian audience admires my team now.

Rauri fucked around with this message at Sep 20, 2016 around 06:47

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste



Freak: 0 / Danger: -1 / Savior: +3 / Superior: +0 / Mundane: +1
Potential: 1/5 / Conditions:

Well, I'm glad I kept what I said to a minimum, because I do feel kind of bad about it. Though, Flaire seems to have decided to completely re-do BB's professional "image" and that should make up for a lot of this. I mean, honestly by the time Flaire's done blogging, Li might just look like a jerk for picking on the poor helpless vampire. (pffffffffffft)

I figured I'd go cool off waiting for BB's text-back, nothing else I could really do anyway. Putt Putt was ruined for the moment but hey, there was always the arcade right? I didn't feel like suiting back up so I just headed over there in my normal clothes. Just your average idiot who wants to play Mrs. Pac-man here!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.



Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry Guilty | Location: Out and About


"Oh so now you're worried about the image of the team? Did ya ever think that maybe a fight in the middle of the street, that drags civilians into it, might hurt it a bit more?"

I do drop my voice down, but only because this team is Sunniva's big chance, and if it fails, she's not gonna get another one.

"If you'd stopped and thought for about two minutes, you'd have noticed that I was leadin' them, not bein' chased. I was heading for the school's empty parkin' lot, specifically so I wouldn't get people hurt. I've dealt with this exact thing a shitton more than you have, and let me tall ya, we got lucky here. Honestly, the fact that there was only three of 'em makes me think that this ain't over yet."

I take a quick glance around the street, but I can't tell much. Too many people to notice if one of 'em is standin' out, and the last guy's explosion has put her magic everywhere, so I can't tell if there are any more of them that way, either.

"So keep your eyes open and try to think about savin' people more than your reputation."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

I'll give Casey this much credit: at least when he's talking about -to me- completely meaningless baseball stats, he isn't talking about his last football game. This is an improvement. Almost enough to make the fact that I'm stuck watching baseball bearable haha no it isn't. I was able to escape this torment for a few brief blissful moments of release when Hannah(!) walked by. She stopped to talk and we had a pretty good chat talking about what she was doing here. She's on a date as well, which is kind of huge news, I'm super proud of her. So that was a good distraction for... a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the total game time. I'm going to die.

Talking with Casey is kind of like talking to an excitable dog, and I don't mean that in a mean way. He seems happy and enthusiastic to talk about whatever I can think of until any pause and then like a dog spotting a squirrel it's baseball time!, and we actually have a reasonably good time (or, I do, I think he was having one anyway) talking about the latest superhero gossip until we run out of new stuff, and then it's right back to baseball! Maybe a baseball will come flying over here and hit me in the head and put me out of my misery.

"A bit, yeah." I look over at him curiously when he brings up Barracuda, and then freeze, staring blankly at him. "I-she's what? No she isn't? Where'd you hear... that..." I trail off as I read the tweet, look at the picture, read the tweet again, and it sinks in. Why. Flaire, why. Whyyyyyy. That note was clearly not meant to be taken in that direction at all, and Flaire knows it wasn't meant like that because we were both there and nothing remotely romantic happened! I'm almost about to make an angry comment about Flaire when my better sense catches up to me. There's no way I could actually know she isn't, and this 'evidence' certainly makes it look like she is, so I've got to act like I don't know any better. Annnnnnd, this might be my out. If Casey thinks I'm, or, uh, Barracuda, is gay, maybe he'll stop being so into her, since he'll think (accurately) that he doesn't have a chance! "Wow, I never knew that! And she's with Flaire?" I'm going to murder you Flaire, if I ever make it out of this interminable baseball game alive. "Lucky girl, huh? I bet Flaire's the envy of most of the guys in school, right?" Wait how does Casey even feel about gay people? I've never heard him take my parents burn in hellfire stance, but I've never heard him support them either. But most guys his age think girl on girl action is hot as anything, right? He's probably into the idea. I watch him curiously to see his reaction.

<godfish> pierce casey's mask
<godfish> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> godfish, 6+2 = 8
looking at the questions none of them were really what I had in mind, so...
What do you intend to do?
I guess

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Barracuda, he shrugs noncommittally when you start talking about Flaire, saying, "I guess I've heard some of the guys talking about her. She looks nice, I guess. A bit... uh... flamboyant? I guess?" You can feel him reaching for some sort of verbiage that doesn't deny her obvious attractiveness while also avoids heading into into jealous waters with you. He continues, "Anyway, I don't know if that was a good idea. At the very least, they're probably going to get in some hot water from some of the older heroes. I mean, yeah they're heroes, but they're still... kinda old. And... Oh! Pop fly!"
Yep, the puppy found another squirrel.

He's just planning on having a good time with you, and he's happy that you're happy. Or... uh... "happy," anyway. Oddly, he also keeps shifting in his seat, making sure you don't get a good look at his backpack. You're pretty sure he's got a gift for you in it.

The bottom of the fourth passes without incident, but right at the top of the fifth, the Calliope music that's been drilling into your brain for what seems like forever mercifully cuts out. However, it is replaced with the sound of a Spanish guitar strumming a lullaby! A man in a red tunic, gold pants, a domino mask, and red boots plays the guitar you're hearing as he strides out onto the field from the dugout. He looks like he could be in his late 50s, but he's still looking pretty fit for his age. In addition, his blond hair doesn't seem to have a strand of grey in it. You can see the crowd falling back into their seats, sleeping, and he's already singing his instructions to his compatriot that slunk out with him. This guy looks much younger and... uh... gothier. Like, rail thin, skin tight pants, and a long, black coat with nothing underneath, revealing a pale chest with intertwining tatoos. His hair is long enough that it hides half of his face, and the other half is gaunt and emotionless.

"Solace, go to the toooop
up to the boooox.
Take all you fiiiiiind,
no matter what kiiiind."

After the instructions, Solace(?) sighs and starts slowly flying up towards your box! You see Casey's head start to droop, but when he hears that they're going to be coming for the boxes, he jolts upright! He grabs your hand and pulls you up, saying, "We gotta get out of here!" Thankfully, the sudden burst of adrenaline you got from seeing some villains actually causing trouble is enough to keep you awake for now, but you're not sure how you'll fare if you go up head to head with the masked musician.
What do you do?

Silver Bolt, as you're headed towards the arcade, you get another notice. This one is from the League, saying that there's a disturbance at the baseball field, and you're one of the closest heroes. In addition, Barracuda's communicator is actually there, at the game!
What do you do?

Tatsu and Flaire, the crowd's cheers as the last zombie explodes drowns out Tatsu's objection, and now it's nothing but good vibes since you're all obviously getting along! Even Tatsu's got a few people crowding around him, cheering and taking pictures of him.

Tatsu: This is loving bullshit. Flaire must lead a charmed life or something. But, this public praise, thing... How do you like it? Think you could get used to being the center of attention in a positive way? Jace pushes through, saying, "Tatsu! You were amazing! I can't wait to tell everyone at school!!!"

What do you do?

Flaire: Well, that was lucky! Matt's applauding with the rest of them, but he still doesn't seem to recognize you. He does seem impressed, at least. He's just reaching into his pocket for a camera, not really making any moves to get closer to talk or anything. However, Tatsu appearst to know the girl? Do you wish that Matt had recognized you? Would you want that personal praise

Also, now that you have a chance to check, your post has been blowing up! You're getting all sorts of mentions, and your fans are already thinking that Silver Bolt's old news. That's... uh... well, he's probably gonna be a bit confused when he gets the news.

What do you do?

Bunny Bat, he frowns at the thought of you spending time with your old compatriots, "I hope you're not letting them be a bad influence on you. But... if she's willing to make up for all the havoc she caused, I suppose I could let her go with a warning..." He trails off, still unsure if it's ok, but he doesn't push it.

As you walk into the arcade, the crowd immediately parts, instantly revealing Lag, who'd been one of the many faces staring out the window at you. She shoots the crowd a dirty look for giving her up so easy, but when she sees that it's just you, she packs up her laptop and says, "Ok, so what's the plan? How are we getting out of here?"

What do you do?

Also, you still have a text from Silver Bolt to answer. Or you could leave him on the hook a little while longer~

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?



Fre: -1 | Dan: +2 | Sav: -1 | Sup: 0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Galaxy Arcade


"Don't worry about it. I came to the good side on my own accord, remember? It wasn't a scheme to dodge jail. Look, I've been on both sides, and I probably know better than anyone how to understand people like this. Just let me do my thing, alright?"

----

Walking forward, the crowd pulls a parting sea on me.

"Hey, Lag. Sorry to drag you into the fire like this, but... I kinda got him to agree to not punch you into fine paste in exchange for an apology and a promise to not do it again. I know it isn't exactly what you wanted but it's the best I could get. ... What the hell were you doing with those traffic lights, anyway?"

Beep Beep Beep

"Hold up, got a message."


quote:

Yo, I heard you had a buddy who's good with computers. Hook me up and I'll owe you one.


"Oh, and someone in my team wants your help for something, apparently. Maybe I can get him to make you do that instead of charity work. Whatcha say? Deal?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions:

Casey's complete misunderstanding of my comment to go off and compliment Flaire instead me slash Barracuda gets him an unhappy look, but I don't dwell on it too much. Even if he is boring company and I hate going out with him, he did (probably) get me a present, so he obviously wants this date to be fun for me, despite his lack of any understanding about what a fun date actually would be.

...What kind of entertainment is this, two crappy musicians..? Oh. Oh! It's an attack! Yes! YES!! An actual attack, there IS a god! It takes a huge effort not to be obviously thrilled by this in front of Casey, who is earning himself a few more points by actually managing to get out of this musical trance to try and rescue me from danger. "Right!" I jump to my feet and turn to run after him, pausing in the doorway for a second. The gothier muscian is almost to the box, and we weren't the only ones in there... I hesitate for a second, then scoop up a baseball that was sitting there and hurl it hard at Solace(?)'s head then run after Casey.

<godfish> directly engage solace
<godfish> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 7-1 = 6
<godfish> welp

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +0 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

The biggest flaw, when it comes to my performance as a hero, is that sometimes I'm too perfect. Not when it comes to manage civilian crowds like this, obviously - do you see how much they love us despite how much we both (mostly Tatsu) hosed up? No, I meant my Twitter game. I'd only meant to tease my fans, and it looks like that note that Barracuda wrote was a little too overt (but not really) for me to have used. Hmmm, how to fix this? As I walk over towards both the cheering crowd and the entrance to the Galaxy Arcade, away from Terrible Tatsu, I tap out a few messages on my phone, presuming that everyone will just think it's some heroic post-battle responsibility of mine.

txt to Marida posted:

Hey sorry for delay, Zombies #HeroProblems Be there in a sec!

txt to Silver Bolt posted:

Hey can we talk? Kinda wanted you to initiate this but it prolly can't wait. Don't check my Twitter till then OK?

txt to Barracuda posted:

Any chance you want to rejoin the team? People seem really into the idea of us together, can def market this. Call me!

Finally reaching our adoring crowd, I have a minute or three to enjoy their praise and smiles and attention before I need to link up with Marida. I'm so gracious, signing autographs and posing for selfies and answering questions, doing my absolute best to be the most charming and beautiful heroine they'll ever hope to meet - and you can drat well bet I'm paying special attention to Matt (and kinda to that girl or whoever), since they're the civilians we most overtly saved but entirely because you cannot begin to believe how cool it is for me to have saved him. We literally used to talk about being heroes all the time, and now I am! And not only that, I just totally protected him, showed off what a great hero I am, it's perfect! Tatsu can try and rain on my parade, but I won't let him - his gloomy disposition is no match for my passion!

Spending last hold on Matt - This person must meet me.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.



Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry Guilty | Location: Out and About


My scowl doesn't disappear just 'cause people busted out the cameras. I'm still irritated with Flaire and her idiot, attention grubbin' attitude. I ain't her, and I don't do this to get famous or any of that crap. I don't want to be the center of attention. I want to make the best out of bein' a broken weapon. And that means puttin' down bad guys so that people don't end up hurt. Flaire doesn't care about any of that, if they're not shovin' their noses up her rear end they might as well not exist in her world. Ugh.

I'm waitin' for a half decent openin' in the crowd so I can force my way outta here, gonna have to get my wheels another day, when Jace pops up. Sigh. I've long resigned myself to bein' stuck with her once she gets goin', and oh man is she ever goin' now. I can practically hear the exclamation points. Even over the crowd. Pair of lungs she's got.

"Can ya not, Jace? Yeah, I saved ya, doesn't mean ya should worship me. No big deal."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste



Freak: 0 / Danger: -1 / Savior: +3 / Superior: +0 / Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 / Conditions:

I honestly considered not answering the communicator message. I was still really worried about Mom, and all I really wanted to do was blow off some steam, but...

Well, she'd be disappointed in me if I didn't go, and I couldn't have that. So I turned around and headed back to the shed. One super-suit, one motorbike, and one set of rose-tinted goggles later, I zoomed off towards the Baseball park.

I shot a txt to 'Cuda just in case.

to Barracuda posted:

OTW

I got another text back but it was Flaire telling me not to check her Twitter. Um... That made me want to check it but I had League business to deal with so I decided to just take her advice, at least until whatever was at the baseball field was handled.

----

I drove my bike straight in past the sleeping ticket line guards, to the sound of a Spanish guitar. Uh oh, what the heck was going on here?

Assess a Situation: 2d6 = 3
Marking experience!

mistaya fucked around with this message at Oct 1, 2016 around 10:45

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Barracuda, the baseball strikes Solace right between the eyes, but it just bounces off harmlessly. He flies up to get a better view of what hit him, and when he sees the pair of you running off together, he gets a creepy smile on his face. He flies down to pick up a baseball, and then he circles around to the stairs to get a better shot. Then, he lets fly a blinding fastball that catches Casey right in the leg.

You hear a sickening crack, and Casey's face goes pale as collapses to the ground. He tries to stand up, but the second he tries to move his left leg, he screams in pain. Solace looks pleased with himself, then as the music continues echoing throughout the stadium, he remembers what he's there for. He sighs and says, "Oh right. I'm supposed to ask for valuables or something?" He reaches behind him and pulls out a burlap sack that he holds out as if it were dirty. He's staring at you intently, waiting for something.

Oh, and also, did you keep your team communicator on you? Because if so, you've got a notice that there's something going on at the baseball stadium! Handy, right? Also Silver Bolt lets you know he's on his way.

What do you do?

Silver Bolt, as you run into the stadium, you see the floating goth guy hovering over two civilians, one of which is injured! ...And he's trying to rob them. You think, anyway.

What do you do?

Tatsu, she looks at you, confused, "But... you saved us! You're a hero, Tatsu!" You see your opening and muscle through the crowd. A few people look disappointed that you're leaving so soon, but the rest just crowd in to get closer to Flaire. Jace, for her part, follows you and says, a little disappointed, "I mean... if you don't want me to, I won't talk about it, I guess. I just think that people should know what a great person you are, and I don't know why you don't want them to know?"

What do you do?

Flaire, ah, isn't this the best? Cameras, Fans, Attention? No one asks you any questions about the tweet, yet, so that's nice. And you even get a response from Merida.

From Merida posted:

Bunny Bat's here and she's talking sense into people, so I think things are gonna be ok.
If you wanna still hang out, though, I'm gonna be here a bit. Would love to hear about it!

After a little while longer, though, the crowd disperses. It's the middle of the day, and people do have things to do, after all. That's... fine, right? Or did you want them to stay longer?

Anyway, Matt's still hanging around. Once's it's just the two of you (more or less), he gives you a bit of a funny look, and says, "So... Thanks again. But... you... seemed like you know me. Do I know you?" He's not sure what to think, but he's leaning towards yes. And he doesn't even seem to notice that the girl he was with went off with Tatsu. What do you think's up there?

What do you do?

Bunny Bat, you see her Lag's face sour when you mention community service, but she sighs and says, "Luminaera wanted a distraction, and she's been doing all the cleaning for the hideout for the last few weeks. She said she'd stop holding it over my head if I distracted the League for a bit, and this seemed like a low-risk way of getting them chasing their tails. But... someone here was looking over my shoulder and ratted me out." She throws a significant look over your shoulder, and you catch someone ducking back into the crowd as they notice her glance. She rolls her eyes and says, "I'll take care of them later, but Luminaera isn't worth all the poo poo I'm going through now. So, sure. I won't do it again, and I'll help you with whatever little science project you need."

That's basically what you need, right? And... what about that bystander she's going to mess with later? Think you should do something about that, or not your problem?

What do you do?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2016 around 14:39

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +0 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

Ths is DEFINITELY the best. I deserve this, the adoration and affection and near-worship these people are giving me for both having saved their lives (maybe) and being stylish (definitely). Eventually though things thin and it's just Matt and me. I've definitely enjoyed the attention I got, even if it was so fleeting - fifteen minutes isn't nearly enough for the pain I just put up with - but this is important too.

Guess I may have dropped enough hints to him that he's pretty sure he knows who I am - so either I can tell him now all dramatically, or he can figure it out later at an inopportune moment for me, that's how these things work. Let's go with plan A.

I wink at Matt, grabbing the brim of my hat and pulling it off my head in order to hold it in my hands, facing him honestly - but looking all around real quick to make sure there are no cameras or other civilians nearby. "You definitely know me, you're totally right! So, remember your one friend Elyse?" He'd better, or I'm going to be crushed. "She's me!" I pose dramatically, since it's my one chance to make this memorable for both of us. Pretty sure saving his life was a good start!

In case that isn't enough though, I continue, all bubbly and excited. "I got powers, had a falling out with my parents about it, ran away, cut off contact with Elyse's life in order to be Flaire... sorry about that." I actually am - he was a really good friend back in the day. I'm super famous (or at least deserve to be) now, but I can still appreciate people from my backstory. "Please don't tell anybody, I don't want anybody digging up my old yearbook photos or something like that and posting them to Twitter."

<Rauri> Provoke Matt to Keep a Secret
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 7+3 = 10
<Rauri> yusss

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?



Fre: -1 | Dan: +2 | Sav: -1 | Sup: 0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Galaxy Arcade


I sigh. "Don't do anything that'll make someone go after you again, kay? It's gotten pretty hectic lately and you know if they send anyone else after you they'll probably just try to punch your face in."

Then, I shoot a quick reply to Silver.

Message to Silver posted:

Yo, sorry that my reply took so long. Had to deal with something really quick. Yeah, I just enlisted her. What exactly do you need her help with?

Slowly walking out of the Galaxy Arcade like it's no big deal, I present Lag to Perseus.

"See? Told ya! Way faster doing things my way. Hey, I have an idea. 'Bolt got a problem he needs a tech wiz for. How about we make her work on that instead of community service? Who knows, she might just come to enjoy working for the good guys!"

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at Oct 3, 2016 around 15:10

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.



Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry Guilty | Location: Out and About


"'Cause I'm not a great person, Jace. That's why. I'm not a hero, I'm just somethin' someone evil made, broken and doin' the only thing I know how to do."

I fling an arm back to the crowd and the hole in the street.

"All of that? Y'know, the stuff that almost got ya killed? That was all 'cause of me, Jace! They were there for me! Me just bein' here almost got people hurt! That ain't nothin' to celebrate."

Out of pure, molten frustration, I stop walking and turn to Jace.

"Look, Jace, I dunno what ya want from me here. I'm not gonna be some... some gloryhound like Flaire. 'Snot right."

gently caress's sake, what does she want me to do here? Just let her start some crazy fan cult like Flaire spends all her time on? What's goin' on here?

(4:18:31 PM) SpookaBoy: Pierce Jace's Mask
(4:18:31 PM) SpookaBoy: !r 2d6-3
(4:18:32 PM) Krysmbot: SpookaBoy, 10-3 = 7
(4:18:37 PM) SpookaBoy: holy poo poo that worked?!
So uh, yeah. What does Jace want me to do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions:

"Casey!" I run to his side and take a look at his leg, then quickly look away. That looks nasty. "Oh god - don't move Casey!" Before I can try to do anything with him though, Solace demands... money? And I spot Silver Bolt nearby. okay... Yes, got a plan! "You want valuables, here, try this!" I yank off my necklace - it's made of gold and diamonds, and probably some other less valuable things, but it's probably worth more than this stadium box - and toss it past him. Hopefully that's distracted him a bit, so I pick up Casey, heaving him off the floor so his leg isn't touching the ground and run out of the box. I need to get him somewhere out of the way, a bathroom or closet or something, then go and get into my Cuda-suit and get back to help Silver Bolt out.

<godfish> provoke solace
<godfish> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 10+1 = 11

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste



Freak: 0 / Danger: -1 / Savior: +3 / Superior: +0 / Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 / Conditions:

Don't ask how I got up to the boxes that fast, I don't want to think about that grappling hook ride. Need to adjust the speed on that thing or I might throw up next time, bleeegh. HOWEVER, there is no time to be nauseous, there is EVIL to stop!

Or at least a really Goth Looking Guy who wants to rob some civillians. One of whom he's already hurt pretty badly. Where the hell is Barracuda?

Grrrrr.

"HEY!" I yelled. "The only thing you're allowed to steal in here is third base!"

I leveled my hand-crossbow and shot the bag out of his hands. It thunked into the wall, hanging there. Just like Robin Hood! Though, these were the boxes so he was trying to steal from the RICH not the poor... But anyway! I aimed at him again. "Come quietly and no one else has to get hurt."

Directly Engaging Solace, 2d6+3 = 11. (Rolling Savior via move.)
Resist or avoid his blows, take something from him (his loot baggie.)

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Barracuda, he looks immensely satisfied with himself as you throw the necklace past him, but he doesn't even look at the necklace as it goes flying past him. Instead, he's just staring at you as you run.

...What a creep.

Casey's wincing as you carry him. His leg is bouncing as you run, and his hand is squeezing your shoulder painfully. But, he's still conscious, and he's not screaming anymore. You make it down the ramp and into a bathroom. Placing him gently down on the ground, he looks up at you, pale faced, and whispers, "Thanks. You're amazing, Suzy." He gently re-positions himself so he can lean against the wall and says, "Heroes should be on their way, so we just have to hole up here for a little." He squeezes your hand and gives you a weak smile as he adds, "Don't worry. We're gonna be fine."

Also, who gave you that necklace? Was it important, aside from being valuable?

What do you do?

Silver Bolt, after a moment, you recognize the pair of teens. Casey and Susanna are basically the power couple of Halycon Academy, as both of their parents are both incredibly rich and powerful while they're both super talented and popular. Anyway, Susanna easily picks up Casey and makes a run for it! Doesn't even look like she's struggling in the least. That's pretty impressive! Still, you've got goth kid to worry about. He forgets about the bag as soon as it's out of sight, but the surprise of your sudden appearance makes him fly back through the air in surprise. He yells down to the field where the middle aged villain is still strumming away "Uh, Songbird, there's some hero here. What do I do now?"

Solace marks Insecure

The stadium's sound system responds:

"A hero here, for me?
Entagled in a fight with thee?
Dispose of him, quick as a flash.
And get back to getting cash!"

Solace looks lost for a second, then shrugs, saying, "I guess I can just wring you dry and get back to work." He meets your eyes and says, completely deadpan, "Please try to feel at least a little afraid, though. I'd appreciate it." Suddenly, he extends his arms and launches himself through the air, right at you!

What do you do?

Tatsu, her eyes narrow as you raise your voice, and she yells back, "You think I didn't know that they were after you? I was there, remember? They weren't too quiet about it." She takes a few steps closer to you and then pokes in the you in the chest a few times, saying, "But you know what else? You DIDN'T (*poke*) run. You DIDN'T (*poke*) let other people get hurt. And it ISN'T (*poke*) your fault if other people start trouble with you! So don't go telling me you're secretly evil or whatever. You and your friend were heroes, whether you want to believe it or not." She's right next to you, glaring up into your face from just a few steps away.

Suddenly, you remember the last time someone told you something like that. It was Bunny Bat, and Jace seems to be looking at you like she was a few days ago. ...Well, maybe a bit more irritated, but she clearly thinks you're someone better than you think you are. She just wants you to realize that.

What do you do?

Bunny Bat, Perceus strokes his chin, thinking about it then says, "As long as she doesn't do something like this again... I guess I can let her go. No one got hurt, after all. I'll check in with Silver Bolt to see how she did, so try your best!" He gives her a punch on the arm (which makes her wince and start rubbing her arm) and then gives you a salute before bounding off down the street!

Lag lets out a petulant sigh and says, "Well... what's the job, Nighty? Let's get this over with." She still hasn't taken to calling you by your new hero name. Didn't you used to go by Night Stalker? Anyway, if Silver Bolt doesn't answer, you can trace his communicator to the Stadium. Or you could wait for him to be done and try to meet up with Luminaera to see how she's doing nowadays.

What do you do?

Flarie, for a moment, he looks skeptical, like this is some sort of joke. Then his eyes widen in shock as a bolt of recognition strikes him.

"You... you're Elyse?!"

He gawks at you before breaking out into a big grin and giving you a great, big hug

"You are, aren't you! You look... wow... you look amazing." He steps back out of the hug and flushes, stumbling over his words as he continues, "Uh, not that you weren't great before, but uh, you just really look... different."

Actually, how's he changed? For the better or worse?

After a moment, he calms down and, he starts thinking more rationally, saying, "But... you've been like this for a while, right? Is this why you ran away? Did your parents kick you out or something?" He bites his lip and adds, "Why'd you stay away so long? I really missed you."

In addition to the confusion of how to take this, he actually looks a little hurt.

What do you do?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Oct 7, 2016 around 00:16

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

It grew from the seeaugh-
what did you do?





Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +1 | Mun: +2
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions:

I shudder a bit as I run away with Casey, it's a lot easier to take gross people being gross about my attractiveness when I'm Barracuda, and not just Susanna, and not just because I wanted my Barracuda suit to attract attention. This felt a lot ickier. It gets a bit better once we're out of sight though, and as I round the next corner, I remember to sag and act like my adrenaline wore off and I'm not a super heroine in disguise. That actually makes it a little harder to carry him, which adds to the effect, so by the time I set him down in the bathroom, I lean against the wall and actually do have a few deep breaths to take. "ha... thanks..." I smile down at him, and weirdly, I actually sort of feel warmly towards him, for once? "Sorry about the necklace, thought it'd distract him, but..." Casey gave it to me ages ago, it wasn't super special, but... I feel kind of guilty about losing it and it not even helping, considering I did it right in front of him...

BUT! I can't let this entire fight go by without chipping in, I need to get back out there! And Casey probably isn't hot on the idea of me leaving, so I need an excuse. Thinking fast, I straighten up. "Listen, I know the heroes will be here soon, but that guy was hypnotizing everyone, we can't let him... walk them all off the stands or something before anyone can stop him. I'm gonna go out there and see if I can smash a fire alarm to wake everyone up or something. I'll be back as soon as I can, don't worry about me, you know I'm a fast runner." He's seen me on gym days, I know he was watching (along with most of the boys).

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste



Freak: 0 / Danger: -1 / Savior: +3 / Superior: +0 / Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 / Conditions:

...wait a second. Isn't that... Casey and Susanna? Wow, talk about coincidences! It's a little weird that Suz is carrying Casey instead of the other way 'round though. What was THAT about?

...

ANYWAYS!

I switched the bolts on my wrist launcher to the new 'Renegade' style that me and Nika worked on together. It's a blunt-tipped arrow with a pneumatic casing that punches forward on impact, delivering a big old right-hook to whatever you shoot. (There's a lot more to it but lets just say they're non-lethal and they pack a major punch. The alternate name I had for them was 'boxing glove bolts', but Nika didn't think that sounded cool enough.)

This guy was clearly the flunkie though, since he kept asking the singer (Songbird?) for directions. I needed to take care of him quick so I could get down to the field.

"The only thing scary about you is your hair, dude," I said, then stepped forward, aimed at his chest, and FIRED!

Directly engage!
[03:20] <mistaya> !r 2d6+3
[03:20] <Krysmbot> mistaya, 6+3 = 9
Resist or avoid.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?



Fre: -1 | Dan: +2 | Sav: -1 | Sup: 0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Galaxy Arcade

"I actually don't know yet. Bolt just said he needed a techie, and I figured I might as well make that your job. Probably better than being stuck in a soup kitchen for a week or two. Anyway, looks like he's at the Station, so we might as well go meet up with him there. Just stick with me before anyone else gets any dumb ideas. ... And as much as I'd prefer having my old name back, people might just get the wrong idea so please don't..."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: +0 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

Hahaha, it's kinda funny to watch him fumble around like that. I know exactly what he means, he doesn't have to pretend otherwise - if you're rating by attractiveness on a scale of one to ten, I used to be a five (at best) but now I'm an eleven, since My Powers Are Awesome. He's not looking as bad as he used to be, either - it's amazing what a year, a growth spurt, and clothes that aren't Nerd-Themed t-shirts and jeans will do for someone apparently. I definitely hug him back, surprised that he's taller than I am. He didn't use to be, but it's kindof nice.

But then he asks about, uh, why I left him behind basically. Not going to deny it, that's exactly what I did - I had really good reasons though! Leaning against the wall and folding my arms in a profoundly cool way, let's start to recount them! "Uhhh, yeah let's just say mom and dad didn't exactly see eye to eye with me on my plan to drop out of school and make a living being a professional hero - even after I showed them my magic!" Such bullshit.

Twirling a strand of hair between two of my fingers, I continue to recount the tale / my excuse for being lovely. "So I haven't been in contact with them for months - I've mostly survived because the Vigil's base has a rad kitchen and my Flaire Fans send me money and stuff occasionally - you have NO idea how much pocky I have in my closet." I'm not sure why my fans got the impression I love it, because I don't, but like... it's been too long since that became a thing, it'd be crazy for me to admit that now.

Even I realize I'm just babbling at this point, evading the issue. I can try and bigshot him on this, pretend it was some necessity of the job and requirement of the League... or I can just be honest. And you know what? I don't get to be honest very often, or with many people. It's kinda worked for me in the past couple days - Silver Bolt didn't contact me after I confessed to liking him a lot which is meh, but Bunny Bat's being better towards me even if I do need Marida to do the assignment she foisted on me - and I actually kinda trust Matt more than either of them. "I'm... I'm super, super sorry. I just... I didn't want to be Elyse anymore, I'm Flaire now. I shouldn't have just abandoned you like I did, I was a really lovely friend. I'll make it up to you though!"

I can't help but grin, because I have two very big cards to play here, and the first one means a lot to me. "Hahaha, you're actually the only person to know my secret identity now. So, uh, know you won't, but please don't mention it to ANYBODY. More than anything it's a prestige thing among heroes, I don't want my old name leaking out - it'll be embarrassing and dangerous." My parents have probably guessed it, but they've had the decency to just ignore me instead of selling that secret to the press, so good for them.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they will tell anyone the truth about you. If they agree to keep it a secret, clear a condition or mark potential. If they don't agree, then they shift your Labels according to how they see you now.

"Anyways, wanna come check out the base sometime? We can hang out like we used to?" My schedule's full, but he's worth fitting in. I may have been lariated by a Zombie and yelled at by another Zombie, but today's not so bad after all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.



Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry Guilty | Location: Out and About


First BB and now Jace...

How do people keep gettin' this stupid idea in their heads? I don't get it, and I'm not sure I ever will. All this 'noble, good hearted hero underneath' crap is just that, crap. World don't work that way. Ya get your hand and your stuck with it. End of story. 'S a nice sentiment, but it's not worth anythin'. Stupid. I face her down, determined to get her to understand.

"Except is is my fault when these guys come after me. The only reason they were here, and the only reason people get hurt by them, is 'cause I'm around. I mean it when I say I'm not a hero Jace, I'm just a weapon someone made. A broken weapon, at that. I've done bad, Jace. Both when I was still bein' used and after I broke. There's a town that's gone, 'cause of me! All I can do, all I've EVER done, is break stuff and hurt people! All I'm doin' now is tryin' to break the bad guys stuff. That doesn't make me a hero."

  • Locked thread
«13 »