Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Fre: +0 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Storm King's Secret Bootcamp

I sat quietly and listened as Barracuda talked. It made sense. She seemed like someone who was really tough on herself — and expected everyone else to hold to those same standards. I got that. Maybe that was why we were hitting it off so well. When she finished, I hugged my knees against my chest. "That sounds really annoying, Barracuda. It really does." Yes. This was the hard-hitting insight that was going to turn things around and keep her here with— keep her here. Great job, Alex. Way to go. I looked up at her, "You know, I really can't speak for anyone else, but... I'm interested in being a team. I've been dreaming of something like this for years. The chance to get out from under the big guy's shadow and be... me."

I paused for a moment, sighed, then pushed on, "I mean... Don't get me wrong. It's been a huge opportunity to learn from Damascus. He's a legend for a reason, but— Well, it's like I live with my dad. My psychic dad, assigned to watch me by the Super League, because a Class 2 psychic isn't allowed to just live with their parents. Or be a kid. Or make mistakes. I've never had a chance to, you know, enjoy this all. I train when we're at the base. I train in the field. I even had to train when I was asleep!" The words just started pouring out. I was trying to give her a pep talk, why was I bringing up all of my baggage? Probably just drive her away even faster.

I looked up, eyes a little misty, "This week has been so much fun. Just getting to work with all of you and, you know, meet people. Be myself." I sniffed, "I don't know much about Bunny Bat and Tatsu, but are they really worth pushing everyone away? I mean, sure, Tatsu is probably the grumpiest person I've ever met." A thought crossed my mind, a small smile breaking through, "And, believe me, I've been hooked into Damascus's mind when he's watching the Spiderhawks get trounced in the big game. He gets way into football games, which is actually kind of funny. As serious as he is in the field, I've never seen him get as intense as he does on the couch."

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

'Cuda shifts my labels, Team is at 4.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Freak +3, Danger +2, Savior +0, Superior -1, Mundane -1
Potential 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure

"So you went camping? Before you became a superhero or whatever? Cool." I never really did that when I had an ordinary life so I can't really comment too much on it. "Uh. Do you want to go somewhere and...I guess hang out? Or something? Everyone else is going off, we might as well have some fun with, uh, whatever we could have fun with out here."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Fre: 0 | Dan: -2 | Sav: +2 | Sup: 0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Angry

The chance to get out from under the big guy's shadow and be... me. Boy, did I know that feeling. She immediately started to walk it back a bit, but I can tell exactly what she means, even when she isn't saying it. In the end, it sounds like her relationship with Damascus isn't nearly as toxic as mine is with my parents, not by a long shot, but it's obvious that she needs this superhero team life as much as I need Barracuda.

Smiling or not, Mithril still looks like she's about to cry. "Hey... I understand." I reach out, giving her shoulder a couple of awkward pats. "That all sounds like hell, I get it. My parents..." I make a face, and my voice gets way darker than it was talking about Bunny Bat and Tatsu, "they made me spend my entire life being who they wanted. Perfect student, do ballet, gymnastics, learn an instrument and be the best at it, echo their stupid bigoted opinions back at them, do student government, all that trash." I grit my teeth together. "They get mad at me for having non-white, non-rich friends. For listening to the 'wrong' kinds of music. That's why I'm a hero." I reach up with my other hand and tap my visor. "There isn't really a Barracuda. When I wear the suit, I'm who I really am. It's when I take it off that I have to pretend to be someone else."

Affirming my identity and switching Danger/Mundane.

And When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down. So Mithril shifts my labels.

Take Mundane up, Freak down, for Cuda being in a similar situation to you!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry Guilty | Location: Bootcamp

"...Yyyyyeah. Yeah let's go with that, it sounds better that way."

Whew, dodged a fuckin' bullet there. Gotta be more careful about that sorta thing. Especially since she wants hang out. Or something. Wait, she also said somethin' about everyone else. Huh, yeah it looks like it is just us now. I know where Silver went, but where the poo poo did Barracuda and... Mithril get off to? It's not like there's that much to do out here in the woods.

"Sure. Lake's probably occupied right about now so I dunno what all else is around here worth goin' to.You uh, got any idea? Sorry if I ain't the best at this. Been a long time since I've done any hangin' out."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +1

Now she was patting my shoulder! I was a wreck! Wasn't I supposed to be talking her down? What was I doing? I sniffed, wiped my eyes, and clambered back to my feet. I pulled her into a tight hug, "Thanks for telling me, 'Cuda. I didn't mean to just dump all of my problems on you like that. If you ever need to blow off steam or talk things out or anything... Well, I'm here. And if I'm not in talking distance-" A wry grin crossed my face. "I'm just a thought away. Seriously. But, you know, I want you to stay on the team. If things are weird with Tatsu or whatever, I've got your back."

It was as simple as that. Maybe it was selfish. Maybe things really were bad enough to quit, but... Barracuda was fun. She was my first real superhero friend. Sure, Roxy was great. Really great. But there were a lot of things you just can't talk about with a civilian. Even one who wants to understand. Some of the feelings, the stresses... The secrets, certainly. In any case, I wasn't just about to let 'Cuda leave without a fight.

Shifting 'Cuda +Freak/-Superior. Mithril sees her as someone with wonderful talents, but who doesn't seem to want to be better than her peers.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

"Don't worry about it, we're pretty similar, aren't we?" I return the hug gratefully, surprised at how much better it makes me feel. It, and having someone sympathetic to vent to. Unrelated to that though, it's a good thing I have perfect balance, because I think Mithril sort of forgot we were standing on a tree when she started it! "I..." I sigh again. "I don't know... I appreciate it, but I don't know if its worth it. I think Flaire wants me to stay too, but Silver Bolt hasn't really mentioned it and I don't know about Chimera. If they'd - well, Bunny isn't here, so if Tatsu would just... I don't know, apologize, or just made it seem like he valued being on a team with people..." I look away from her, frowning across the treetops. "Or if it felt like I was actually making a difference by being here." I poke at the branch we're standing on with my toe, kicking it lightly and sigh again. "To anyone."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I looked at Barracuda and slowly, very slowly, gathered my courage and began to speak, "I... I want you to know something." I knew what I felt. What I had seen over the past week. The bits and pieces of the woman behind the mask, as well as the person she wanted to be. The excitement of pushing myself alongside her. The concern that she would leave and I wouldn't see her again. The hints that maybe, just maybe, I wasn't alone in feeling that way. "I think you're really important part of this team. I... I can't speak for the others, you know? I'm sure we can figure that out. Silver and Flaire seem really cool. Chimera's great when you get to know her. But for me, seeing you go..." I paused. "I don't want that at all. You see, I—"

My thoughts raced out of control, my heart not far behind them. Okay. You can do this, Alex. You can tell her exactly how you feel. No pressure. She's only going to hate you forever if you mess this up. Hah. Hah hah. The temptation to just take a peek — the tiniest glimpse — into her mind, just to see if I was about to do something dumb was strong. Incredibly strong. Yet, for all that, I didn't. Wouldn't. She had secrets. I could respect that. Even if... Even if she didn't like me, I wanted to do this right.

I took a deep breath and said, "I really like you." My hand cupped her chin as I met her eyes and then, before I could psyche myself out, I kissed her.

quote:

12:04 PM <Tricky> Mithril is going to Comfort/Support 'Cuda!
12:04 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
12:05 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 11+2 =

Team goes to 5 and 'Cuda gets the usual if she opens up.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Mithril is really rambling right now. It's weird, she always seemed way more composed at school than she is right now. But I guess I'm like that as well, since I'm constantly acting. Maybe it's because she has to monitor everything there and there's so many more people than when it's just me and her here. So I wait patiently while she tries to spit out whatever it is she's going off, to convince me to stay. "I like you t-" My eyes widen behind my mask, as I realize exactly what I was misunderstanding there, and before I know entirely what's happening, her hand is on my chip, her lips against mine. My mouth opens slightly, at first in surprise, and then I'm kissing her back, not at all sure what to do, or think. I have a boyfriend - but not one I want, and not one that I can remember enjoying kissing, though I think I did when we started. Whatever else, I do know that I'm enjoying this kiss. Still... is this wrong? But... that's Susanna Collins who has a boyfriend, not Barracuda, not me. I'll need to think about this later, but for now, that's good enough for me. I pull Mithril in closer and kiss her back more enthusiastically.

I think this counts as opening up? Will clear Angry.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Potential 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure

"I. Uh. Don't really know either. Maybe we could look around, see if there's anything cool they've hidden around here?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I melted into Barracuda's arms, following her lead. All of the worries, all of the insecurities— well, they just don't seem half as important anymore. I don't think anyone would be shocked to learn it was the first time I had done anything like this. The first time I had really felt anything like this, for that matter. There were always so many things to worry about. People. Training. Damascus. But now? Now I felt free to figure out who I was. I was content to just live in the moment and enjoy the feeling of her against my arms. The slick feeling of that ludicrously sexy catsuit. The warmth of her body. Her lips against mine.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry Guilty | Location: Bootcamp

"Heh, sure. Maybe we'll get lucky and bumble into some kinda super secret base or somethin'."

This is nice. Weird and a bit awkward, but nice.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Freak: 0 / Danger: -1 / Savior: +2 / Superior: +1 / Mundane: +1
Potential: 2/5 / Conditions:

I felt like I was on fire even though she hadn't actually lit me on fire! This was awesome! This was (almost) as great as the day I got my first crossbow!!!

I broke the kiss off after a little bit and touched my forehead to hers. "Score one for Team Fire-Bolt." I was grinning like a total idiot. I didn't care. But even just making the joke kind of reminded me what I didn't want if this was going somewhere. "Hey... I don't just want to be Silver Bolt-X-Flaire, you know? It can be that too, if you want, or not, I don't really care. I just want to know you."

---
Supporting the hot new power couple!
[08:36] <mistaya> !r 2d6+1
[08:36] <Krysmbot> mistaya, 5+1 = 6
Ahhhh nooooo! Well, Marking Potential.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: None

Maybe it never did feel this good when I kissed Casey, I definitely would have remembered it. My whole body feels like it's burning up inside my suit, and my heart is pounding away in my chest a mile a minute, much faster than it did during our race or even the the training session with Storm King. I hold Mithril closer to me, squeezing her tight and wanting to lose myself in this moment forever. Eventually though, I have to break from the kiss to breath. Looking at her beautiful, flushed face, eyes locked on hers behind my mask and gasping slightly for air, I smile a broad smile. "I think... you convinced me... to stay..."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +0 | Dan: +1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -2 | Hold: 2 0
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: "Walking" towards the lake

Wow. Wish I'd thought ahead and filmed that, I bet it looked amazing. Felt amazing at any rate...

I'm a little confused, but Bolt's trying to be sweet - that much is totally obvious, and it's making me, ME of all people, blush. So he wants to know me, or whatever that means? Also, gonna have to pump the breaks on us being super public about this, but that's a conversation for another time.

And that's nothing against Silver Bolt! It's just that like, if my fans knew I was in a committed relationship or something, pretty sure I'd lose a bunch of them. Yeah, it's REALLY weird, but it's part of the price of popularity I suppose. Besides, super heroes are supposed to separate personal and professional lives. Mine are usually the same thing, but there are definitely some differences, sometimes, and hopefully any hypothetical relationship can be one of those things... because that'd be insanely awesome, basically.

Oh crap, I should say something. "Haha, sure, what do you want to know?" Finally breaking our embrace with a pleased sigh, I look up into his eyes with a grin that's downright giddy. "Aside from if there's a rule against team leaders fraternizing with subordinates, right? Don't worry, I checked, there isn't~"

Spending a point of team to raise that to a 7, and as such clearing Angry.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Storm King's Secret Makeout Camp

I smiled dreamily at 'Cuda, still lost in the moment, and managed to mumble out something along the lines of "'sgood. I'm really glad, 'Cuda" before snuggling into her neck. Well, whatever, I could think of something more romantic to say later. The important thing was that she was going to stay!

There would be plenty of time to figure things out. Like, uh, what we were going to tell the rest of the team. Or if we would tell the rest of the team. And speaking of telling people, Roxy was going to flip her lid when I told her about this! I've got a team now and I'm making out with a teammate...! Wait, how much should I tell her? I mean, she was my best friend, but Barracuda had a secret identity to worry about. And there was the whole thing where she was a notorious snoop and busybody. Hm. A bridge to cross later. If nothing else, I'd be able to placate her with the fact that I'm teamed up with Flaire.

For now, though...? I ran a finger across 'Cuda's back in a lazy figure-eight as I rested in her arms. For now, this was perfect.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Fraternizing?" I laughed, and took her hand and started walking again, giving her a gentle tug to get us moving towards the lake. I still wanted to go swimming! "Well, if I want to find out your favorite food or your favorite color I can just check your blog..." I smirked. "That's an idea! Tell me something you haven't told any of your fans. Something just for us. Anything you want. And I'll tell you something about me, so it's fair."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: The Lake

The lake's so close to us... but Silver Bolt's right. Secrets first, then a fiery cannonball into the water!

And speaking of secrets, I've got a particularly good one. "My old name - the one I don't go by anymore," I make that clear with a glance, though it's a rather soft one. All things considered... I kinda like a FEW people actually knowing who I used to be. Not much sense in growing to be so much more than I once was if people don't get to appreciate the transformation after all... and personally, I think it's rather stunning. "It's Elyse. Not going to tell you my old last name, you might look me up if I do, and ughhhh... let's just say I wasn't the person I am now before I got my powers and leave it at that, OK?" I was a hideously average nerd. Can you believe that I used to need glasses?

As far as Heroes go, revealing even a part of your secret identity is a big deal - I'm sure Silver Bolt gets that, he's one of the only other people on the team that doesn't view this whole endeavor as some sort of lark. Which leaves us with it being his turn to reveal a secret to me... which it's rather obvious I can hardly wait for. Just to be sure though, I throw in a freebie. "Also, uh? You're actually my first kiss, but you HAVE to keep that to yourself. I have a reputation to uphold after all~"

gently caress WHY DID I SAY THAT? "Anyways, you were about to tell me your secret and then we were going to jump in the lake!" Smooth Flaire, just totally well done. Not blushing at all, noooo, I'm a total professional that doesn't do that sort of thing... by which I mean I'm trying my best to look nonplussed by that admission, dammit.

"Haha, if you don't mind my hair getting all frizzy, I can dry us off when we got out of the water, no towels required!" Oh yeah that made things better. Things are so much easier in the fanfiction about me I read...

Rauri fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 8, 2017

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You know, it's strange. I don't really know what it's like for Flaire, having been totally normal until one day she wasn't. For me, hero stuff has been part of my life since I was a little brat. It's not something that replaced having a boring, ordinary life. It's just... what my life has always been like.

Does that make me the weird one, even though I don't have super-powers?

Elyse is a pretty name, though it's obvious she doesn't want me to use it. I was about to say so when she blurted out that she'd never kissed anyone before. I kinda blanked out most of the rest of what she said, because none of the rest of it sounded important. "Wait, you never- but- really?!"

I couldn't believe it. She always acted so casual about it! But... maybe that made sense. 'Flaire' couldn't be an inexperienced newbie at love, it just didn't fit the image, the branding, the fanfiction. And Flaire didn't want to be Elyse, anymore. So she'd skipped the step where she actually did all that stuff, and just made it look like she had.

"Well... you know, I've never slain a vampire, either," I said, hoping she understood what I meant. "Like... I think I get it. Everyone expects something from you so you don't correct them. Because the mystery is more interesting. It's like that for us Hunters too. That's why we wear the costumes and keep up the super-badass appearance, it keeps us safer if we keep them guessing. We're really just as mortal as anybody else. And the things we hunt aren't. So we need all the advantages we can get."

I sighed a little. Was that enough to count as a secret? I wasn't sure. "I'm Matthew. I mean, I've always been Matthew, or Matty. Silver Bolt's not really an alter-ego for me, it's my job. I can't use Matthew at work for obvious reasons..." I laughed nervously. "But I'd rather be Silver Bolt than just a Hunter. I don't know if I'm cut out for real Hunter work... I can't kill people, or things that act like people. I'm... not strong enough."

Well that got dark in a hurry. I should have just admitted that Nika makes my grenades, that'd be light and funny, but noooo. Now she'll just think my family is a bunch of psycho-murderers.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Just a heads up, I'm going to move on tomorrow evening, but for real this time, so if you have anything else for the scene, speak now or forever resort to flashbacks.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Really... that was plenty romantic for me. With the snuggling and all. I shiver pleasantly as I feel her finger tracing along my back and pull her in a little tighter to me. This feels so nice, I never want it to end. I know that eventually we'll have to figure out what, if anything to tell the team, and I'll need to work out what this means for me as Susanna, and how I'm going to deal with seeing Alex at school and her not knowing who I am, but for now... I move one hand up to brush the hair away from her neck and kiss it softly, snuggling in right back. "Let's not head back until it gets dark."

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: The Lake

"You're a total badass though, even without powers," I point out, since it's pretty much objectively true. Silver Bolt - Matty - Silver Bolt may not have fire magic or indestructibility or energy absorption or Chimera's creepy evolution power... but there's a reason everyone keeps voting to put him in charge of the team. Push comes to shove, hero vs hero type situation, pretty sure he'd demolish me - so let's hope it never comes to that!

Him not being willing to people - and somehow being conflicted about that - gets a worried smile from me, patting his shoulder even as we get right next to the lake, the water sparkling in the dusky sunlight. "That's not being weak, that's being strong. I hate hurting things too, I think that's why I can be selective with my fires so easily, but anyways," oh yeah gotta make sure to not talk about myself constantly, "You should just focus on taking down super-villains with the team, be the person you want to be. Being a hero is the best anyways, the public stuff and interacting with civilians has got to be more fun than creeping around in the shadows, right?"

Plus he'll be with me more often if he's not off investigating monsters. Speaking of being with me, I've kicked my shows off at the shore of the lake. My other clothes can stay on, I can dry them out easily later, so... I give Silver Bolt a mischievous grin, then charge straight at the lake. Using some fire from my palms to blast off into the sky a good twenty feet or so, I kill the spell at just the right time, folding my arms and legs in as I careen into the lake. It's cannonball time!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Woooo! Perfect 10!"

No shoes, no shirts, goggles back ON... I dropped all my gear except one grappling hook, which I shot into the branch of a tree that was reaching out over the lake. "Coming in hot!" I yelled, grabbing the rope and swinging myself almost as far as she had.

Cannonball x2!!

---

We should be good to move forward Cap.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Silver Bolt / Flaire: After some more splashing and other lighthearted fun, the pair of you clean up and head back to the others. It's getting dark after all. Got your story straight for the others?
By the way, what did you think about telling the other that you decided against?
What do you think everyone else has been doing anyway?

Barracuda / Mithril: Man, that was nice, huh? It's getting dark when you get back, so what do the two of you agree to tell the others?
What do you think everyone else has been doing anyway?

Chimera / Tatsu: So... this is a little awkward, huh? Having the others pair off and run off to do their own thing, leaving you with the other... um... well... freak? Do you really think you're going to fit in on this team?
Anyway, your explorations don't find much in the way of secret bases, but you do have a nice hike through the woods. You even spot a deer grazing in a clearing! Don't see stuff like this in the city too often. What else do you see that you like?

Everyone, when you get back, there's a fire, marshmallows, and some tents set up. The Storm King's probably nearby, but he's actually letting you have the rest of the evening too.

You all must have really impressed him.

How's the rest of the trip go for you? Who do you learn something about in the inevitable campfire chat?

A few days later, after school lets out

Flaire, oh man, you've been running yourself ragged ever since you've gotten back. What have you let slip in your quest to make it up to your fans? Also, without your firm hand to guide them, it looks like they've more or less settled on an OTP. Unfortunately, it's not Silver Bolt. Who is it? Are you going to accept it, or are you going to try and push back?

Also, Brian Brocks has been trying to get in touch while you've been away. He's disappointed that Bunny Bat isn't available for a photo-shoot/interview, so who do you recommend instead?

Barracuda, the Mayor's shindig is coming up soon, but it's looking like you might not get to go! Not only are you waaaay behind on your recital practice, but you've only got two days to book entertainment and a venue for the school dance! Pressure! What's the plan to get things back on track so your parents will take you?

Oh, and why's Casey suspicious that you're hiding something? ...You know, other than the fact that you are?

Silver Bolt, it was all you could do to sit through the last two minutes of class, as you got a message from your sister telling you that Lag left a flash drive with the records from Mom's communicator. Apparently, a lot of it was junked, but the last 12 hours before the communicator was busted are pretty clear. What do you need to do before bolting for home?

When you get there, you find Veronica pouring over the records. It looks like Lag attached a plain text summary of the recent queries to the League database:

quote:

11:58h: Paragon City Hospital Blueprints: Mental Health Wing

11:12h: Paragon City Medical Examiner: Bobby Lope Contact Info

8h: Recent disappearances

7.58h: Recent Disappearances: Docks

6:37h: Recent Transatlantic shipments

3:19h: Wharf 12 Warehouses

2:42h: Italian food by docks

0.51h: Owner of Pharaoh Shipping

0.03h: Requesting immediate back up and shadow for dependents

...Yeah, if nothing else, that crazy schedule tells you it's probably your Mom. Also, looks like one of the last things she did before she disappeared was ordering a "shadow" for you and Veronica.

How's your sister been, anyway? What's the plan now?

Mithril, you were expecting it, but Roxy interrogated you the second you got back? Who was she most interested in? What did you tell her about one of your teammates that surprised her?
Now it looks like you've got the afternoon free! What do you plan to do? Would you want to hang out with Barracuda if you could?
All that aside, you passed the boot camp with flying colors! Were you worried you might wash out? Would Damascus have understood?
Also, who's an interesting villain you've come across in your usual readings?

Chimera, So, how worried was Dr Bachchan when you got back? Was it nice to be worried about or smothering?
All that aside, you passed the boot camp with flying colors! Were you worried you might wash out?
Anyway, what does a normal day in the life look like for you? I imagine school would be... difficult, if you did that at all.
Who did you tell about your adventure when you got back? Were they jealous?

Tatsu, man, nice to be back in the city, right? Did you go to school today? Why or why not?
Which of Bunny Bat's friends looked you up for a chat? How'd it go?
Also, done anything to help Chimera feel more at home since the two of you have been back?

(Don't roll for time passing, since we're still working on the last ones)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Potential 1+1/5 | Conditions: Insecure

Removing Insecure at the end of the last scene

Tatsu and I didn't really find anything too interesting while we hung out, but it was still pretty fun. I guess I'm going to fit in after all. I was a little worried but everyone other then Barracuda doesn't seem to mind and she's working on it. And Tatsu seems to be a bit like me, but...uh, I think I've caught on that he might actually really like me. Which I'm not sure how to deal with. It was great hanging out with him but I'm not really into having a relationship. It didn't really come up during the rest of our week there so I didn't say anything. I'm really good at dealing with this kind of stuff as you can probably tell.

Meanwhile, back home I finished up some of the assignments I'd gotten. Dr. Bachchan wants us to still keep up as if we were in school so we get home schooled sort of. I don't know if it's worth it but she wants us to be prepared if we all somehow get cured and go back to a normal life. I don't think that's going to happen but whatever. I had some time to tell Yamikani Arendse about my trip out as well. She likes to hear about my adventures because she can't go out. The experiments from Royal Medical Institute left her unable to walk. She has really good regeneration, but her body considers this to be the 'default' it should be so surgery or whatever doesn't work on her. Fun times.

Right now I'm meeting with Dr. Bachchan.

"Nizhoni, how did things go at the camp?"

I'm not really thrilled with her using my old name instead of Chimera, but again she says that it'll help keep me in a mindset of being ready to return to my old life.

"Uh, things went well. My powers worked well, nothing went wrong, and I seem to be fitting in with the rest of the team. They don't mind this," I say as my body continues changing throughout the conversation. I fall into silence, waiting for her to say something. But she doesn't. "Uh, I'll probably meet with them later and go out on patrol or something." I watch her as I talk, trying to figure out if there's anything more she wants.

[02:34] <Heliotrope> Pierce Dr. Bachchan's Mask
[02:34] <Heliotrope> !r 2d6-1
[02:34] <Krysmbot> Heliotrope, 7-1 = 6
Marking potential

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Storm King's Secret Campfire -> Post-School Bliss

What an evening! We did have to make a brief detour on our way back so that I could grab all my gear from the forest — it wasn't that bad, the material kind of acts like a psychic beacon — but that just gave us a chance to chat about what had just happened. What we felt. I don't know if we're officially dating — at least as far as the world is concerned — but we're at least going to let the rest of the team in on things. I'm a little relieved. I know she's got a lot going on and hasn't let me in on everything yet, but, well, I'm willing to wait. And it's not like she's embarrassed by me or anything, right? If she was, we wouldn't even be telling the team.

The campfire was a ton of fun! Sitting and chatting, snuggling in close with 'Cuda to ward off the night's chill, and even getting to show off some of my goofy TK tricks to the rest of the team. I don't usually have much reason to do it, but I can definitely roast marshmallows like nobody's business. Who needs a stick when you've got mind powers? Hold 'em in the fire, keep them from falling apart, and even do a little impromptu sculpting with them. I like making animals, mainly, but I took some requests as the night wore on. The one thing that really caught my attention was Silver Bolt. He was radiating happiness like you wouldn't believe, but there was something that kept poking up through it. Worry? Concern? Something pretty deep. It's not my place to charge in and get all up in his business, but I did mention in passing that I'm there for him if he needed any help.

Most of all, though? It was such a great chance to relax and bond with the team. It's been a long time since I've felt normal, you know? Not some sort of superhuman to be looked up to or feared, just someone living life. The times when 'Cuda and I would sneak off and be alone together...? Also very, very nice. All too soon, though, it was time to head back to reality. At least I'd be facing it with a team, right?

---

A few days later...

The worst thing about being a psychic is that it's so hard to respect people's secrecy. Like, telepathy is not just something you can turn off, you know? I kept getting brief pings on my mental radar from some of my teammates throughout the school day and it was really tough not to just coincidentally go over and run into them. I did it, though. I made it through without accidentally-on-purpose finding out who they were outside of the costume. Not everyone's as free to go unmasked as I am. No family nearby, yeah? Not like they're going to get at me by targeting the big guy either. A low-level psychic blur is generally enough to stop people from piecing things together, Roxy aside, and to be honest I kind of hate the feeling of things over my eyes. I could never do a domino mask or anything like that.

Speaking of Roxy, oh man, was she in fine form. Literally five minutes after I made it back into cell service, my phone blew up with like a million messages. A lot of it was just Roxy sending me all sorts of updates about the heroes she follows, but there were a few more pointed questions as well. Like, uh, who all was on the team. That one was pretty safe to answer. The Vigil isn't exactly a secret group or anything. That lead into a ton of questions about what Flaire was really like. I know she's got an image to keep up, so I tried to keep things along those lines. Which was kind of tough. I mean, don't get me wrong, she's pretty cool. I just really don't know her media image as much as I do the Flaire that was at camp. I may also have let slip that I kissed someone. You know, as one does with their best friend. Had to keep it all mysterious though, what with secrecy concerns, so I'm pretty sure she just assumed it was Silver Bolt. Oh yeah, I think she was really surprised to hear that Barracuda beat me in a race. Sometimes I think she thinks I'm more powerful than I really am. It's kind of cute.

I guess I wasn't too worried about the training camp, in hindsight. There was some apprehension before things started, sure, but it wasn't a huge deal once I got into the swing of things. Damascus runs a tight ship and I've been used to that level of training for years. The bigger concern had been fitting in with the team and, well, that better than I could have hoped. Still, if I had washed out? That would have been it. I'm sure I wouldn't have got another chance like this for years. Might even have been Damascus's sidekick for life. Rough stuff.

As I stepped out into the sun, I serriptiously checked my communicator. Still nothing. I'd sent a few pings 'Cuda's way, but I hadn't heard back. She must be slammed catching up with her stuff. It sounds like she has it rough. Well, if she's not available, I should probably go with Roxy to that thing. I think Iaijutsu was having some sort of meet and greet later on? She's pretty legit. I gotta give her some respect on that sword game. Last I heard she had been tangling on and off with this villain, Kamaitachi. He wasn't rated as a huge threat, but it was interesting poking through his file. He had the usual suite of boosted attributes, but his big thing was throwing wind blades around. They're supposed to be sharp enough to cut through anything, but apparently Iaijutsu has a few tricks with a sword. He's currently unaccounted for, so I figure it's not a bad idea to have my stuff with me. Just in case. Anyways, it should be fun enough. And who knows? Maybe 'Cuda can slip away later on and we can hang out then.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

At camp still...

So swimming with Flaire was really fun, and she was right about not having to dry off. She also made lighting the campfire for marshmallows totally easy later, which was great. I sat next to her that night, and didn't bother hiding what a good time I was having from anybody. If they want to talk, they can talk! Though it looked like the others had a lot on their minds and I'm not sure if they noticed.

Mithril and 'Cuda kept sharing glances for one thing, that made me wonder if 'Cuda had asked Mithril to help with her Mayor problem. I wasn't sure that Mithril would be any more into helping with something illegal than I was, in fact she seemed even more straightlaced. She'd been hero-trained by one of the big names, even bigger than Mom, so that's what I'd expect... But all the giggling made me wonder what they were up to.

Tatsu and Chimera were quiet but it was a noticeable kind of quiet. Chimera's body kept kind of shifting the whole evening in ways that were incredibly creepy. It reminded me of a few of the monsters in the Hunter's manual, but I knew she wasn't one of them. Hard to get used to but... well, it wasn't her fault. And man she was an impressive fighter, so I decided to be cool about it. Tatsu was watching her like he thought she was the prettiest thing he'd ever seen. I snerked to myself and glanced at Flaire. I knew how he felt.

I thought about asking Flaire what she thought about Mom's disappearance but I ended up deciding against it. I didn't want to bring up something super depressing while we were having fun, and there wasn't anything we could do to find her from out here in the woods. Maybe once we were home and had access to technology and stuff I'd ask her... or maybe not. She had a full enough schedule.

---

After class, later...

I had three make-up tests to take since I'd been at the Storm King's camp and let me tell you trying to concentrate on Trigonometry when you're constantly thinking about if your Mom is alive, dead, or captured by something horrible, IS NOT EASY. I am pretty sure I flunked two of them, which was not great. My grades weren't as good as Nika's but I was still a solid A student most of the time. I just couldn't focus.

---

At home, even later...

"Pharoh shipping... and some guy named Bobby Lope at the Mental wards... This is weird stuff." Nika said, biting her lip. "And this shadow thing, what's that about? She had time to order protection but no time to leave us a note?"

"Yeah it's definitely weird," I agreed. "I wonder if grandpa's telling us everything."

Nika shrugged helplessly.

"I'm gonna go check this Bobby guy out, it's the best lead we have for now," I told her. After what happened to Mom I wasn't going to leave Nika in the dark about anything. "Think you can keep an eye out for our tail? If we find out who that is we can ask them if they know something. We need to find out who Mom was working with, or if this was a solo mission, and they might know."

"Okay, I can do that." She nodded. It wasn't just busywork, and I hoped she knew that. I wanted to grill whoever got stuck on protection detail really badly.

I gave her a hug. "We'll find her, sis."

"Yeah, yeah, don't get all 'big brother the hero' on me," she grumbled, but she hugged me back too. "Be careful, okay?"

"Careful is my middle name."

"No it's not, your middle name is Antoine."

"Don't you dare tell anybody that, twerp."

There were noogies, and the situation just deteriorated from there, at least until dinnertime. I bailed after the second course of microwaved lasagna to track down Mr. Bobby, or whatever I could find out about him.

---
Heading to the hospital, I think.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry Guilty | Location: In the Ciiitttyyy

Does somethin' like me ever really fit in anywhere? 'Special with what I got hangin' over my head. Her. It always happens. Sooner or later some of Her boys show up, and then I gotta cut and run. Even if Silver promised to help, I still ain't gonna stick around when it happens, that just gets people hurt...

Anyway, forest! It was fun. Made me realize just how big a deer actually is, which was pretty cool. Lot bigger than you'd think. Not to mention all the birds. I prefer cities, easier to hide in, so I'm not used to seein' anythin' other than pidgeons and maybe seagulls, so it was neat to see ones with actual colors on 'em. Campfire was ok, I guess. Least the other four had fun.

Ditchin' Guilty with the end of the scene.

I dunno why I bothered goin' to school today. I don't need to know this crap, and it's not like I got friends to talk to or anythin'. Jace is still mad at me, so even that annoyance wasn't there. So I guess some part of me felt like sittin' around, bein' bored for a few hours? Best I can figure. Anyway, school's not the interestin' part. And neither is me completely fuckin' failing to even think of a way to help Chimera feel more comfortable around the base. Ugh. No, the interestin' part comes after that, like right now, while I'm out in the city, doin' city things.

'City things' here meanin' 'gettin' jumped by a pair of idiot muggers'. I was mostly done beatin' some brains into their skulls when someone yells at me. Not an angry yell, or even a scared yell, but a 'get my attention' kinda yell. Turns out it's BB's friend, the accent one, Evil Eye. I ain't too sure how she found me, but our talk is goin'... ok, I guess. Mostly she wants to know where BB was, and I had to tell her that I knew about as much as she did. League business. Hadn't seen hide or hair since the stadium. Feel kinda bad givin' her such a lovely answer but what else can I do? That's all I know.

"Sorry I can tell ya anythin' that's actually useful. If I knew any more I'd tell ya."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

We didn't exactly say we were hooking up so much as make it pretty obvious that we were, once we got back to the tents. Frankly, if they couldn't tell by how closely we were snuggled up together next to the fire, Mithril on my lap wrapped in my arms, and from the occasional kiss we stole while she was roasting the marshmallows for us, I'm not sure they're observant enough to be a superhero. Speaking of spotting... Flaire and Silver Bolt were both obviously pleased with themselves, and after Silver's really obvious flirting with her before they went off to 'swim' it's obvious what happened there. Which just leaves Tatsu and Chimera, and I don't have a clue on that. I don't really care what Tatsu is up to, and Chimera is too much of a mystery to tell. I was mostly focused on Mithril that night anyway, so I did a bit better than usual and not looking freaked out by her shifting transformations.

But, I did have ONE person I needed to talk to about all this... Flaire. I'm sure she was probably the first to notice anything, and she's the one I need to worry about, so once we all started going to bed, I called her over to the side for a quick chat. After a brief chat, I got to the point. "Listen, I know you like sharing gossip with your fans and stuff, but do me a favor and don't spread it around about me and Mithril, please. I made a few enemies and I don't want anyone going after her at school or causing her problems, okay?" I pause for a second, then give her the best argument I can think of, "and it'll leave you free to tease pairings of you with everyone, or you and Silver bolt and everyone, huh?" I shoot her a grin.

[14:04:38] <godfish> Provoke Flaire (+influence)
[14:04:41] <godfish> !r 2d6+1
[14:04:42] <Krysmbot> godfish, 8+1 = 9
Add one to the team if you agree!

-----

The camping trip was the end of my carefree days though.

My parents didn't actually seem too upset about me doing my own thing to go camping in itself, once I'd assured them there weren't any boys there (heh), so much as the fact that now I'm behind on everything they expect out of me. Missing a week of practice didn't actually DO anything to hurt my skill at it, but does that matter to them? No. So to make them happy I have to spend four hours every night sitting at the dumb ivory keys playing out music written by people two hundred years dead, all while images of what I could be doing with my time flash through my head. Superhero work for one, obviously, but far more frustrating are the thoughts of Mithril. I didn't think it'd be so bad, and it wasn't at first, but spending all day in school with her, seeing in class and the halls, and not being able to be closer to her, or kiss those cute lips, or even just talk to her was torture.

To make things even worse there's Casey. I... feel bad about it, because there isn't really any way out of the fact that I'm cheating on him, and that to a large extent I don't care. I'm not going to stop, I like Mithril a lot more than I like him, it's not like it was really my choice to start going out with him in the first place, but even so... I had a very hard time acting normally around him when I got back, enough that he's started asking questions. That, along with how obviously frustrated I was seeing her around and keeping it a secret made it really obvious something was wrong. I'm sure he doesn't know what's really going on, I didn't even give in to the urge to start hanging out with her in school as Susanna and Alex, but even so, he KNOWS I'm hiding something now.

All THAT stress along with the stupid dance coming up that apparently no one on the council decided to do any planning on without me, have me about ready to pull my hair out, run screaming to the mayor's office and punch him in the face. But no. I need to make sure the dance goes off -or at least is setup- perfectly, along with waste most of my nights practicing for a dumb recital, and try to make Casey think there's nothing wrong... Anyway. Anyway. First thing for the dance, is a venue. I'm going to try and get two birds with one stone on this one, try to get Casey to think everything's normal, and get one at the same time. The Mayoral Hall is plenty big enough for a dance, and has catering stuff already ready for sure, and is fancy enough for our school's tastes. Reluctantly ignoring Mithril's pings on my communicator, I catch up with Casey in the hall at the end of class, wrapping my arm around him. After talking casually for a bit, I bring the conversation around to the dance. "I've got the perfect dress lined up for the dance, it's a shimmering gold piece to match our hair, it's beautiful, here, look-" I pull out my phone to show him a picture, it's long and elegant, but with a hint more cleavage than I usually show (which isn't much) to help snag his interest. "The picture doesn't quite do it justice, but you'll see in a couple days. We still don't have a venue though, and since its such late notice, the only thing I could think of we could get in time is the Mayoral Hall, do you think you could talk to your father about that? I've been looking forward to this, it'll be a good way to work some of the stress out, you know?" If only I could go with Mithril... ah well...

[15:06:42] <godfish> provoke casey
[15:06:44] <godfish> !r 2d6
[15:06:45] <Krysmbot> godfish, 4 = 4
[15:06:52] <godfish> hehhhh :V

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: Training Camp - Flaire's Room at Base

I know some of my fans have asked if I have problems with my powers while wet - the answer's sometimes yes but no if I believe in myself enough - which means I dried both of us of in a brilliant, Phoenix-shaped display, my hair frizzing out the only price I pay for not dripping lake water and having soaked clothes for a while. Plus there was actually some swimming while we were here too. Some. Kinda considered talking to him about the ground rules we're going to have to have in place so I can keep my personal and professional lives secret, but best to wait on that I think until there's an actual problem that needs dealt with. Maybe it'll somehow never come up?

Hanging out with the rest of the team later's fun too. I manage the fire for everyone, of course, and while I spend a bunch of time hanging out with and sitting next to Silver Bolt - I mean why wouldn't I, he's great - I do make an effort to spend time with everyone. Well, almost anyways, pretty sure I should keep giving Tatsu space. But Mithril's cool if a little quiet, and that her and Barracuda seem to be a thing is great! I'm obviously happy for them, though I'm careful not to mention one of the main reasons why... I'm pretty drat happy it'll keep Barracuda around and she won't quit on us again, since I like hanging out with her. Chimera's quiet too, but it's a little more understandable. That seems like a rough power to get, but even still - she's a Hero! I'm going to try and encourage her to come out of her shell a little more - though that she could grow one mid battle if she needed to is kinda amazing, actually. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I don't have her power since mine is the best, but I'm also glad hers is badass despite the downside.

Though Barracuda does pull me aside most of the way through things, wanting to talk over her and Mithril, which I am SO eager to hear about - but then my hopes are dashed when it's just her having mistaken me for some sort of gossip, and begging me to not reveal her relationship on social media. Really? I mean... OK, it's definitely something I'd have done, but it's sort of rude that she assumed it straight away. I can understand the need for a secret relationship after all. "Wow. OK, so, first off sure? And second of all..." I grin. "You have a point. Though I'm keeping Silver Bolt and me private, since my fans love pairing me up with everyone and it'd be a shame to deny them that opportunity." And me a big chunk of my fanbase. "So I'll keep your relationship secret if you do the same for mine?" Seems like a fair deal to me!

Especially after a week spent training here or whatever, I really do hope we're coming together as a team. I mean, I like basically everyone on the team - I only don't get along with Tatsu because he's never really given me a chance and only looks for the negatives, and with me that's like glaring at the sun and hoping to spot shadows - and now we've all got the common bond of wasting a week of our lives here together. Well, not quite such a waste anymore... after seeking out a goodnight kiss from Silver Bolt, I'm off to bed, eager to get back to civilization and my loyal fans.

-------------------------------------------------

My loyal fans are idiots - it's the ONLY explanation. No sooner do I get back to the base and finally gain access to the internet again that I've noticed a rather unfortunate development... namely, that they seem to think TATSU and I are secretly, desperately in love. I mean, their reasoning's not bad - the bickering back and forth and smoldering glares are sexual tension, we're careful to avoid speaking to one another (albeit not for the reason they think) in public otherwise "for fear of betraying our passion"... they seem to have mistaken his genuine dislike and my disinterest for barely concealed romance. This is what happens when I can't access my phone for a week - do they know how much damage that dumb training session just did?

Not to mention I have like, five thousand messages and phone calls and tweets and blargh I have to spend literally hours catching up on my social life, triaging stuff left and right as I try and think of a way to salvage this situation. Don't get me wrong, if they'd picked Silver Bolt, there would be no problem here - it'd be convenient even. Instead I gotta deal with being paired up with the one person on the team I don't get along with splendidly, plus Brian Brocks wants a response, then there's the firefighters whose charity event I'm supposed to show up at (I'm not sure they've thought through a fire hero appearing at a carwash)... it's a lot. So after a nap, I send out some tweets and messages! Lets get this ship back on course, by which I mean sinking the FlairexTatsu ship! Those fans are weirdos anyways, if I have to lose any I'm glad it's them.

@Flaire ✔️ posted:

Back from secret hero business - lost 4 lbs, hope my uniform still fits #humblebrag

@Flaire ✔️ posted:

2 address rumors, no Tatsu and I aren't a good pair at all! He's like a brother (an annoying one), would be too weird #MyBroNotMyHo #Flaire

Direct Message to Brian Brocks from @Flaire posted:

Sorry about Bunny Bat, I hadn't known that was going to happen :( Cool to interview Chimera and me instead? I think it might help her, and help people get to know her better. Heroes with powers that make them look different are still heroes and still people, right?

<Rauri> Flaire Seeking Help From Audience about their mistaken OTP
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6+3 = 9
<Rauri> ewww, I needed a 10+ :(
They'll give Flaire what they want in exchange for a small favor.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

3 team

Flaire, after you get on top of everything, you send out your messages. It doesn't take you long to see that, while there's more than a bit of righteous vindication from the majority since you're giving a straight up denial, it actually seems like more people think you and Tatsu are a thing than before! The lady doth protest too much and such. You're gonna have to do something much more public to quash the rumor. Either brutally shooting Tatsu down in public (And I mean, brutal. Something that can't be confused with playful banter), or some serious PDA with someone else. Both of which have their own issues, but unless you want to deal with the continued shipping wars between Corpsefire and everyone sane in the world, it's all that comes to mind.

Anyway, you get a few messages back:

DM from Brian Brocks posted:

Of course they are! That's a really good idea, but haven't you two just started working together? Do you really know her well enough to do an interview with her? Why don't you get back to me later this week after you've hung out with her some?

'DM from Li Yinde posted:

Wasn't sure how else to get hold of you. Need to talk. It's about the story you were interested in before.

What do you do?

Tatsu, you see Evil Eye give you... uh... well an evil eye for a second, before she eventually decides you're telling the truth. She deflates a little, saying, "Wow, didn't think she'd just up and vanish without even saying goodbye..."

She shakes her head and says, "Bollocks to that! Even if she skipped out on us, we still owe her a going away party. What say you come out to Mokovski Bar and we have a nice send off for her. Even if she ain't around to enjoy it, those sorts of things are more for us anyway."

Sounds like an invitation. You mind hanging out with the more crooked end of the super-powered spectrum? What do you do?

Barracuda, you catch him glancing at the cleavage, but he shakes his head and looks away. He says, "I've... Look. you've been avoiding me all week. I know something's up, but I don't know what to do." He looks in your eyes with a sad look in his eyes before continuing, "I want to help with whatever's bothering you, but you've got to talk to me. You can trust me. You know that, right?"

He really looks pained over this conversation. More importantly, it looks like you're not going to get any help out of him unless you give him something he can both convince himself was the reason you've been acting so weird and actually help with. What do you do?

Mithril, you're heading over to meet Roxy when you hear a silent scream inside your head. It's anguished, but... familiar. You turn to look towards the source, and you see Susanna and Alex, the biggest power couple in the school sitting on a bench engaged in a hushed conversation.

You don't even have to try to hear them. Or, to hear what Susanna's mind is silently screaming, "I can't tell you! I can't tell you I cheated on you and kissed Mithril, ok! I just can't tell you!"

...Oh... dear.

You're woken out of your reverie by a hand passing in front of your eyes as Roxy says, "Yo, you all there? Ready to go?"

What do you do?

Silver Bolt, the day's getting late but it's still daylight out. A quick search of the hospital staff directory suggests that he works in the basement morgue, but how are you planning on getting down there? Do you want to go as Silver Bolt, or do you think you'll have better luck out of costume?

Also, who in the League checks in with you via your communicator to see if you're all right? What do they ask about outside of the normal, expected topics.

Chimera, her glasses flash as she lowers her head, thoughtfully. A moment passes before she pats you on the shoulder, saying, "That's good that you're making friends. Remember, try to have a normal life out there. Well, as normal a life as you can while being a hero."

She's telling you who you are, a normal hero.

-1 Freak, +1 Savior.

She's got plenty of other work to do, so if you don't stop her for anything, she moves on, leaving you alone. After you kill some time doing... what, exactly? Anyway, after you kill some time, you get a message on your communicator. Oddly, it doesn't have a sender. When you open it, you see a picture of an eye with an X drawn over it with black sharpie. Below it, the message reads, "Eye know why you're here, and Eye don't like it. Leave town, and no one gets hurt. Stay... and one of your new, so-called "friends" might suffer for it."

What do you do?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 17, 2017

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Freak +2, Danger +2, Savior +1, Superior -1, Mundane -1
Potential 2/5 | Conditions:

"Uh, okay. I will." I don't know how right she is, but I don't really want to shoot her down or anything.

Accepting her words

As she heads off, I sit around for a bit watching the communicator. I should probably talk to Tatsu but...I don't really know what to say. Hmm. I try thinking of some message to send, but saying "I'm not interested" through a message doesn't feel right. Ugh. Maybe I should just say something face to face. My thoughts on that get interrupted when I realize there's a message on the communicator. At first I thought it was from someone on the team, but then I read it.

And I start feeling angry.

I don't know who thinks they can threaten me like this, but they're going to regret it. Or, they will if I can find them. I have no idea how to trace something like this, technology isn't my strong point. And it's not a strong point of anyone on the team. But...Flaire's popular right? Maybe she could find someone like that? I don't really have a better idea, so I send her a quick message.

Message to Flaire posted:

Hey Flaire
Do you know anyone who could track a message someone sent to my communicator?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: That Awkward Moment

As the psychic scream echoed through my head, I could feel my face turning white. I... I... Oh man. 'Cuda — She was Susanna?? What?? — was going to be so mad at me. I had done the worst thing I could think of and I didn't even want to! Didn't even try to! Okay. Okay. Deep breaths, Alex, deep breaths. I tried to smile at Roxy, but ended up with a worried look instead, "Uh, yeah, yeah. Everything's... everything's fine?" I sighed. I wasn't going to fool anyone like that, let alone Roxy. "Everything's not fine, Roxy, but I can't talk about it. Not yet. Promise you'll be the first to know when I can, okay?"

I stared at Susanna and Casey for a moment longer, then shook my head and followed Roxy. What could I do here? I couldn't make it better. Even if I did just want to tearfully confess how bad I had just messed everything up. Hell, even if I could get her alone, all that would do would be to get Roxy and Casey all up in our business. God. It still just floored me. Susanna was... well, she was perfect. You don't get to be half of the ultimate power couple without being like that, you know? Even though I was terrified at how mad she was going to be that I found her out, it was really kind of flattering. I knew what we had felt at camp. Those kinds of feelings can't be faked. Not with me, anyways. So I knew whatever we had, whatever it was, it was real. It was good. I just didn't know what that meant for her and Casey. I felt kind of bad for him. He seemed like kind of a douchebag, but... Well.

There was only one thing to do. Damascus would know what I should do. He knew more about the ethical use of psychic powers than anyone else I had ever met. And, I mean, he's had to have dated before. Right? I hadn't ever seen him with anyone, but... No time to worry. I reached my mind out for his. I brushed at his consciousness, Hey, Damascus, do you have a moment? Sooooooo, uhm... I'm kind of involved with one of my teammates, right? She has a secret identity and I've been trying really hard to respect that. But, uh, she kind of blew it with a psychic wail just now and now I know who she is for real. I'm scared that she's going to hate me forever and also she's dating someone else in her secret identity and that's kind of bumming me out and I really like her and I don't know what to do!

The words — thoughts, technically — just kept spilling out. I did kind of feel better just getting it all out there to someone.

quote:

10:48 AM <Tricky> Mithril psychic-asks her psychic-dad for relationship advice! (Fireside Chat)
10:48 AM <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
10:48 AM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7+2 = 9

+1 forward if I follow his advice!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 5/5 | Conditions: None

I forgot to mark potential for that failed roll last post, weee 5!

Argh, this sucks! There's no way I can tell him what's actually going on, forgetting that it'd be pretty mean, it's not like I can afford to break things off with him when I need him to get in with the mayor. But what can I say? I close my eyes for a moment, trying hard to come up with some excuse, some reason to explain why I'd be avoiding him other than the truth, and then it hits me. That's perfect. "Can I?" I open my eyes and look at him, letting more of the stress of the last week show. "I was looking at photos of Moonlight Vigil fighting with Legderdeman, and I saw Barracuda rescuing you, and the way you were looking at her - why didn't you say something? Why didn't you tell me? You don't look at me like that!" I feel like a complete heel turning this around on him like that, but I needed to come up with SOMETHING!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Of-freaking-course it's in the basement. I could break in to literally any floor except the basement due to the fact that it's UNDERGROUND. There was no point in trying to get into a hospital morgue as Matty, I'd just have to bluff my way in, in costume.

On the way there, though I got a communicator message from Cobalt Samurai, just checking in. That by itself wasn't unusual... A lot of league members kept an eye on each other's kids, especially when they were out on long term missions. I'd known Cobalt for a long time, actually. She used to babysit for us sometimes, yes, in full costume. I didn't know her secret identity.

I messaged her back that I was fine and I was trying to do my best in class even though this was going on. It wasn't just my grades on the line and she made sure I knew it. Kids who start failing in school when they never did before means teachers start asking questions about what's wrong at home, and it's really hard to hide that your mom is a superhero when that happens.

I wondered if Cobalt was the one tailing me and Veronika, but I didn't ask. It'd be rude, since whoever it was, they were just trying to help out, and if I told her that I'd have to tell her how I found out, which would probably mean losing Mom's communicator. And I just wasn't ready to do that yet.

What was kind of weird was how many questions she asked me about Barracuda, though. I knew she'd sponsored 'Cuda for the Vigil, but I'd have thought she could just ask this stuff to her directly. Maybe she had and this was just double-checking. Mostly it was stuff about teamwork and if she was gelling. 'Cuda was still on the fence about even being PART of the Vigil, from what I could tell. Though I did mention that Mithril seemed to be helping her make her mind up. Anyway, after that mini-interrogation she told me to take care of myself and cut the link.

----

One nice thing about being a registered Cape is that people tend to be pretty helpful when you ask for directions. Asking hospital reception if I could talk to one of their morgue employees turned a couple heads but I explained it was for a very important case and no, he wasn't in any trouble I'd just wondered if he'd witnessed anything, at least got them to call down to the morgue FOR me. I was a little nervous about this because anyone who was tailing me, Cobalt or otherwise, would be able to tell what I was doing, but I didn't see a better option.

---

Straight up asking to talk to the guy, he can meet me here or if it's more dramatic I can go down to the morgue to talk to him.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: In the Ciiitttyyy

A party? I ain't never heard of havin' a party for someone that's not there but... why not? I'm not eager to think about BB but it's either this or sittin' alone at the base, since I think mosta the typical scum have gone to ground by now. Word travels kinda fast when I'm in the neighborhood. So I look at Evil Eye and give her a simple, "Sure, why not."

I don't really give half a crap if the people there are supposed to be 'villains' or whatever, what am I supposed to do if they are? 'Snot like I can arrest 'em or junk. Superheroin' for me is a reactionary kinda thing, y'know? Maybe it'd be different if I had different powers, but people don't tend to look to kindly on ya when ya beat the piss outta someone that's just sittin' in a Denny's, even if they are a 'villain'. If they're robbin' the place yes, eatin' a Moons Over Mi-Hammy no. And if someone gets pissy about it, then I was 'keepin' tabs' and 'gatherin' information'. 'S flawless.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: Flaire's Room at Base

Soooo... no easy fix here. I could be an absolute bitch to Tatsu, but surprisingly enough he hasn't yelled at me recently, so there's no real reason to mess up our temporary truce - I mean sure he gives me surly glances constantly, but for him that's sort of like getting a pat on the back I think. Or I could get in some serious makeouts with someone else on the team publically, but that'd need to be Bolt, and it might weird him out to hear "my career requires you get to second base in front of the cameras." Even if that definitely is the fun option... Sigh.

Though I can't sit here all day feeling sorry for myself. I've got a job as a hero to do, a brand to manage, and messages to respond to as a part of both of those things!

DM to Brian Brocks posted:

Will do. I'm sure it'll go well already, but you know what you're talking about when it comes to these sort of things. Looking forward to the interview already :)

DM to Li Yinde posted:

You've definitely got my attention. Do we need to meet somewhere?

DM to Chimera posted:

I can probably find someone that can help, yeah. Guessing you'd like me to go ahead and do that? It'll cost you a favor, but I have a really fun one in mind so it's for the best~

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Flaire,

DM from Li Yinde posted:

Yes. Personal is better for this. Talk then.

Where do you suggest to meet? Do you take any precautions? Also, who do you have in mind for Chimera? Why do you think she's asking for something like that, anyway?

Barracuda, his eyes go wide at the accusation of his lack of interest, and he starts stammering, "What? No, that's... I mean, I was hit on the head, and she saved me, and yeah, I'm not gonna say she isn't really cool and really cute, but I was starstruck, and come on, you know I care about you!"

Well, you've got him on the defensive now, but you've gotta be feeling pretty low now. Do you let him off the hook after getting his help with his dad, or let him squirm a bit more to see if you can get some breathing room on your other obligations?

Silver Bolt, you probably feel a little strange sitting there while the receptionist discusses the matter with the medical examiner, but when she actually mentions that Silver Bolt is here, the conversation quickly ends and she looks up to you, saying "He'll see you now. Take the elevator down, and it's second door on your right."

As you enter, you smell the smell of a clinical morgue long before you see it. The normal hospital disinfectant scent with something foul unsuccessfully hidden underneath. A tall, gangly man is pulling a sheet over a slab with a corpse on it. As you enter, he turns his sallow face towards you, saying, "So, what can I help you with?"

Mithril, Roxy bites her lip and glances around for a sign of what might have caused the sudden distress, but not seeing anything obviously wrong, she just puts an arm of your shoulder and says, "How about some ice cream? We still have a little time before the meet and greet." She leads the way to a local ice cream stand and while she's getting your orders, you have your conversation with Damocles.

It sounds like you did nothing wrong. I know you wouldn't go prying, and... some thoughts are just loud.

He lets out a little mental chuckle at that, and you feel a surge of empathy from him, mostly related to things he's "overheard" at some of the more heated League meetings.

Whatever you do, don't tell her you overheard her thoughts. You may feel she's being dishonest with one or the both of you, but she chose to keep these two lives separate for a reason. Talking to her about this would, at best, force her and the team to be more guarded around you, which is no way to work together. Being a telepath is never easy, but I want you to know that I'm proud of what I heard from Storm King. Keep up the good work.

How do you feel about that advice, including the fact that he seemed to avoid the dating advice part? Do you consider what happened to mean Barracuda lied to you? What do you tell Roxy when she brings back your favorite?

Also, what's your room in the base look like?

Tatsu, well... if it's a party, do you want to bring a date? Or maybe a little back up if things get out of hand? I mean, yeah, dealing with pre-crime isn't exactly your bag, but a bunch of teens with superpowers and poor impulse control could get out of hand.

Anyway, you've got some time to kill, so what do you do around the base to make it feel a bit more like home for you?

Chimera, any ideas who might be after you and your friends? Have you ever gotten a threatening message like this before?

Do you think you should let your friends know, or just handle this yourself?

Also, what's your room in the base look like?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Eating That Ice Cream

I bit my lip as I nodded, "Thanks, Roxy. I really appreciate it." She was a really good friend. This kind of thing was exactly what I'd want to talk out with her and I'd been on the other end of Roxy's relationship woes enough that it was only fair that I'd share mine with her. But, you know, secrets. It's not like I could just tell her and hit her with a psychic whammy after. Well, I mean, not ethically. That would just be hopping the train straight to villain town. I'd just have to hold it in until I knew enough about where I stood with 'Cuda — Susanna — to tell her without compromising any secret information. Luckily, Damascus picked that moment to respond and saved me from my own thoughts.

A small smile crossed my face as I chatted with the big guy. For all that I wanted to be my own person and get out there on my own, I really did like Damascus. He was a great guy. Perhaps a little prone to dad jokes — ugh — but he definitely had the chops to back up his heroic reputation. I had hoped for a little more romantic guidance, I guess, but come to think of it... I really hadn't ever seen him with anyone. He always seemed happy enough and I guess I understood now some of the complications that came with the whole 'I'm a psychic and my partner isn't' territory, but... I just hoped that wasn't going to be what I was doomed to. We could make this work, right?

More than anything, though, I guess it went back to what she said that night. She doesn't see herself as Susanna. She sees herself as Barracuda. So if she's choosing to be with me as Barracuda, that's kind of a big deal. Right? Maybe I'm just reaching and making excuses for her, but... Well, I want to believe in us. I want to be with her. And, you know, I'd love to introduce her to Roxy and Damascus eventually. Maybe even Mom, if she can ever break away from her job. But I don't know how that would go, especially with Mom, if she was sporting that ludicrously sexy catsuit. I mean, have you seen that thing? Wow.

After the contact faded, I saw Roxy coming back with two heaping ice cream cones. She was all about fruity ice cream — if I had to guess, she'd gotten some sort of mixed berry concoction — but it looked like she'd hit me with the bad day special. Dark chocolate, white chocolate, some sort of fudge ribbon, and then a square of chocolate precariously balanced on top. That's the sign of a true friend right there. She knew what I wanted better than I did. I would have probably ordered something boring, but now that I saw it? That was exactly what my heart was craving.

I smiled at her, the color back in my face, as I accepted the towering cone, "Thanks, Roxy. You're seriously the best. So what's the deal with this Iaijutsu thing?" I nibbled the chocolate square off the top. Delicious~! "Is it just a standard meet-and-greet or is there going to be some sort of gimmick to it?" While I waited for her to answer, I started in on the ice cream. It was probably the best thing that I'd ever had.

---

A different day, a different time...

I looked over my room and favored it with a wide smile. It was pretty spartan still, but that was kind of my style. I'd added a few touches to the walls — a few posters that I had picked up from the events I went to with Roxy, a couple of pictures with 'Cuda from the training camp, and a white board that I had scrawled some inspirational quotes on — but most of the excitement was on the workbench on the far side from my bed. There were all sorts of half-built gadgets that I'd been working on. Hadn't really had time to get back to those flashbang knockoffs that I'd been working on before camp, but they could be really handy if I could figure out how to replicate that sense of disorientation and panic without, you know, actually damaging people's hearing and vision.

The computer on my desk was pretty sweet. It wasn't quite top of the line, but close. One of Damascus's presents from my birthday last year. There was a cord winding it's way into it from the wall and another winding it's way to the 3D printer on my workbench. Direct access to the supercomputer that Damascus had authorized for the base. I mostly just used the extra power to crunch out particularly complex fabrication projects, but it had a direct link into the League's files and it was a fantastic resource for research when I had a little downtime.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Freak +2, Danger +2, Savior +1, Superior -1, Mundane -1
Potential 2/5 | Conditions:

Okay

I don't know who would send this kind of message. I'm not popular or anything, but no one's ever tried to threaten me into leaving the city before. Maybe it has to do with me joining a superhero team? Probably. I open a window, and then pause for a second.

What kind of favor?

I kind of need this either way, but it'll be good to know what I'm in for. I transform my arms into wings, and then hop out of the window and back to the base.

---

Back in my room, I sit and wait for Flaire. The middle of my room is empty, where I sit and just kind of think. There's a bed, with some damage from when I've changed while sleeping on it. A chest of drawers with some spare clothes is next to it, with a lamp to provide some light. The device I took from Technomaster lays right next to it. Meanwhile, I just sit cross legged in the middle, waiting for Flaire to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 5/5 | Conditions: None

"....yeah." I say it heavily, not even having to act now, because while it isn't what I'm making it sound like, my voice sounds completely miserable, which is exactly how I'm feeling. "I understand... I just want to see you look at me like that, you know?" I sigh. "So help me with the dance, and once we're there, I'll make you starstruck looking at me, right?" I really would like to try and use him to get me out of some of this other trouble, but... I can't bring myself to push this totally fake line of attack on him. Lousy unwanted boyfriend or not, he doesn't deserve it.

• Locked thread