Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Halcyon City Bank

I was ninety percent of the way through What We Do In The Shadows when the stupid alarm went off at the base. If I'm being honest, that's really the Legerdeman's biggest crime - that movie is great, and now I have to wait to finish it. Sigh. After a quick change into my uniform, I'm out the door and rocketing towards the location of the alert - Halcyon City Bank, total cliche - with all haste! And by rocketing, I mean that fairly literally... Fire Magic may not make it easy for me to fly per say, but I can burn the air beneath me and created controlled explosions to speed me to where I need to go. Looks awesome too, especially when I land - it's a controlled burn basically, so I have to be careful to do it on asphalt.

Which I do in front of the bank, flanked on both sides by my teammates as they arrive. I'm not first on the scene, but I'm definitely not last - and I can see why they chose to wait for me to arrive before engaging. Despite looking like a giant nerd, our adversary seems to be a straight up wizard. Summoning golems and everything, which my fans will absolutely love - easy to use full power on golems, since I don't have to worry about hurting them too badly. I look involuntarily towards Bunny Bat as I think that, wondering if she's planning on going all "I vant to suck your blood" on this guy. Probably, because she's weird and gross.

"Tatsu, Barracuda, Bunny Fat," I slip that in there, hoping she hears it but does't have time to respond to it. I have no idea where the cameras are, but I'm definitely looking around for them. "You've all got super strength, take on the golems. Silver Bolt and I can handle this guy no problem~" Gotta sound like I know what I'm doing, after all... though really, that's a fairly sound plan. Silver Bolt specializes in taking down things stronger than him, those other three can take on living asphalt no trouble, and it'd be improper for me to engage a secondary villain when the main one is both right there and looks like such a dork.

<Rauri> Assess the Situation
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5 + 3 = 8
<Scarybagels> Neopie: the Mon-Stars :V (sorry but I wanted to do that)
Asking: what here can I use to look extra good for the cameras?

Having looked about to find a good place to position myself for dramatic and visual purposes (no good looking awesome if the cameras can't see me), aka right on top of a fountain, I dash towards it, moving my hands in some dramatic looking patterns as I do. I don't technically need to use hand signals or words to control or power my magic, but they look super awesome... and they do actually help me focus some, though I'll admit it's mostly because of the confidence boost. Once I'm there I finish my spell, snapping my fingers as I raise my arms, a torrent of flame rising up around me in the shape of a phoenix. Being immune to my own magic is awesome.

Once I'm sure I've made an entrance that's appropriate, I call out over the roar of my flames to our antagonist. Gotta do this properly after all, and that always starts with letting the villain know how hosed they are while offering a surrender option they never, ever take. "This isn't a LARP, dear - figured I'd tell you since you're dressed for one. We're real heroes, and you're not getting away - you'd better surrender, Bunny Bat over there gets bitey when she gets mad. I'll sign an autograph for you if you do~"

<Rauri> Time for the Show
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<godfish> and Bunny Bat thinks Sliver Bolt wants to stake her probably
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 10 + 3 = 13!
<Rauri> yussss
Have 3 Hold, spending 1 on The Legerdeman - This person loves me

quote:

Hero Name: Flaire
Secret Identity: Elyse McKenzie
Mask: The STAR!
Look: Woman, White, Charming Smile, Preppy Clothing, Transformation Sequence, Stylish Costume
Origin: Phoenix Soul (actually Stole an Artifact's Fire Magic)
Abilities: Fire Magic

Labels:
Freak: +1
Danger: -1
Savior: +1
Superior: +3
Mundane: -1

Moves
Time for the Show
When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll+Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. Spend your hold 1-for-1 to name an NPC present and choose one:
● This person must meet me
● This person loves me
● This person volunteers help or information
● This person admires my team
● This person must have my help

On a miss, your display catches someone watching in exactly the wrong way; brace yourself.

Cold and Cruel Hot and Bothered
When you shut someone down, roll+Superior. On a 10+, choose one:
● Inflict a condition on them
● Make them lose Influence over you
● Take Influence over them

On a 7-9, choose one:
● You each inflict a condition on the other
● You both lose Influence over each other.

On a miss, they gain Influence over you.

Are You Watching Closely?
When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll +Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.
● you get an opportunity
● you expose a weakness or flaw
● you confuse them for some time
● you avoid further entanglement

On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

The Gossip Mags
When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
● What are they up to?
● What or who do they most care about?
● What allies do they have? Enemies?
● Where and when can I find them?
● How could I make them vulnerable to me?
On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.

The Audience
You are a celebrity in the city—although being a celebrity doesn’t always mean you’re liked. By default, your audience is a limited group of interested fans, and you speak to them through afteraction interviews and infrequent press conferences. Why does your audience love you? Mark all that apply.
You're charming, well-spoken, and smart
You’re a dangerous person, a femme fatale
You're stunning, unique, and beautiful

Choose two advantages
You have a dedicated internet following (follow me on Twitter, Youtube, Instagram, or at my blog!)
You have an endorsement from another hero (Wicked Elegance)

Choose two demands your audience makes on you
They require constant stimulation.
They require chemistry with your allies.

When you seek help from your audience, roll+Superior. On a hit, someone in your audience can hook you up. On a 10+, they'll only make a small demand. On a 7-9, their demands are a lot higher. On a miss, you've made a mistake, and your audience won't help you until you've redeemed yourself in their eyes.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, say whether it's part of the show or not. If it is, then you can shift your Labels as you choose. If it is not, then they shift your Labels, and you can clear a condition or mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they will tell anyone the truth about you. If they agree to keep it a secret, clear a condition or mark potential. If they don't agree, then they shift your Labels according to how they see you now.

When our team first came together…
We, as a team, attracted media attention within the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

Relationships
__________________ might wind up being more of a star than me some day.
__________________ would be a great sidekick.

Influence
Choose how you see the team: as a means to an end, or as something worthwhile on its own. If you see the team as something worthwhile, give three teammates Influence.

Rauri fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2017 around 06:23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Halcyon City Bank

Pretty sure most of my team is just envious of me. I can't blame them, but still - kinda stings that everyone pretends I have no idea what I'm talking about as they wait around for Silver Bolt to issue orders, orders that end up not actually being all that different from what I said in the first place. Only Silver Bolt didn't slight me, though hopefully my fans didn't notice, and even still... kinda rude he didn't back me up, don't you think? Still, they're impairing our efficiency - gonna have to talk to them about this later I think. It's either that or put up with them putting me down, which is frankly unacceptable. I have as much right to be here as anyone else, if not more so. One of my teammates tried to loving kill me not long ago, and have I made a fuss about it? Nope! Because I'm professional at this hero stuff.

Speaking of her, Bunny Bat tried her best to be a bitch to me. For the cameras too; even if she doesn't show up in them, her voice might? I'm not sure - the only footage I have of her is when she was hospitalizing me for a couple weeks after her stupid friend beat me. She didn't, let me make that clear. Her friend did all the work, she just swooped in after and beat me up... I was trying to fight back without magic too, which I never do and was especially brave. Didn't stop her from trying to kill me though.

"Sorry Bunny Smacked," I grin towards where she's being smacked around by the Pegasi, desperately hoping everyone knows what I'm punning about instead of thinking it's a drug reference. My voice is just dripping with hotblooded passion, tinged with some righteous derision since I want my fans to know she's my worst teammate by far. "By the way, look out for those pegasi~" I hope they beat the poo poo out of her, but I can't really say that now can I?

<Rauri> Reject Bunny Fat's Influence
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 7 = 7
<Rauri> yusss
Shifting labels, Danger Up Mundane Down.

I've got bigger fish to fry than her anyways, if you'll pardon the fire humor. Look's like Legerdeman's a fan of mine... figures. Sigh and double sigh. Guess I can work it to my advantage, but really, if a villain has to be a Flaire aficionado, why can't it be a cool one? Whatever, I know how to both work this to my advantage AND do the right thing - and it's going to look so slick, just watch me!

Barracuade stole some of my flames, but my soul and passion are limitless - I just produce more, the phoenix shape I'm going for with my fire burning brighter and larger than ever. I haven't actually done anything with it yet, since Legerdeman's content to marvel at my display and the hostages aren't to safety yet. Speaking of them, while he's distracted, I motion to them. Waving one arm away from here, my message is clear: Get out of here! The sparkling smile I give them is even more reassuring I'm sure, they have to be positively invigorated with bravery by now!

As they run, I fix my gaze on him, lowering the wings of my flames while making sure he's fixated on me still. He's a fan, I know how to talk to fans - just not used to them being supervillains is all. "Listen, if you know I'm the Phoenix, you KNOW I can't partner up with villains. I'm a Hero of Justice!" I strike a dramatic pose, flames flaring brightly as I do. Want to make sure he - and any and all cameras - are still on me, since there might be hostages still be escaping after all!

"Tell you what - if me and my team win, you surrender and become a hero after you've served any and all earned jail time... but if you somehow beat me and the rest of my team, I'll partner up with you - sound good?" Let's be honest, there's a one hundred percent chance he's imagining me as his waifu right now, and not thinking about this being a five on one. Plus my fans are probably thinking the same sort of thing, and that's good too!

<Rauri> Provoke Legerdeman
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 8 + 3 = 11
<ShootaBoy> another
<godfish> UH
<Capfalcon> jesus, you people
Looks like he's going to treat Flaire's wager~

Rauri fucked around with this message at Jul 26, 2016 around 05:48

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Halcyon City Bank

Just as I'm grinning about the civilians getting away, ready to turn my full attention on a now-defenseless Legerdeman, Bunny Bat just absolutely lets me have it for like no reason at all! Uhhh, harsh? Lotta obvious envy in it, of course - can't blame her for that - but its so obvious she doesn't really get this hero stuff. We don't get along (because she tried to murder me), so we snark at each other during battle, because that's how things work! Keeps the animosity fun and not detrimental to the team, like say, stopping in the middle of the fight to try and ridicule your teammate instead of subduing the villain...

I'm a little outraged to be honest, and it looks like I'm not the only one. While getting white knighted by an aggressively bald Legerdeman doesn't exactly feel great, at least it's SOMETHING. Really hoping the rest of my team cares, because as far as snark goes Bloody Bat just crossed a couple lines there. Looking around, Barracuda's taken the vehicle elsewhere, Silver Bolt's still in position and its hard to read his face, Tatsu is... oh, OK, at least that guy can't die. Yikes though, downed by the golems? Going to have to do some PR work for him after the fight I think. So yeah, doesn't look like there's anyone to call Bunny Bat out unless Silver Bolt does - and he'd better. I'd do the same thing if I was team captain, which I totally should be...

While I've been distracted, both by Bunny Bat's cruelty and surveying the battlefield for someone to back me up, it looks like our antagonist's decided to get up to something. Levitating in the air, taking me up on my bet - looks good so far. His defenses are down too, so I just gotta nail him with a fireball and this should all be settled in one spectacular demonstration of my firepower. Poor guy, magic from this dimension being weak to salt is kinda bullshit - good thing the artifact I used came from a different one. It's actually pretty neat, if you want a basic formulate of my magic it's Concentration + Confidence = Conflagrations. I envision what I want, and then believe (know) that it happens, so it does. It's why I can picture myself being immune to my flames too, and why I can use 'em in ways that regular fires don't behave.

Like right now for example. Overtly snubbing Bunny Bat and not responding to her at all, I nonetheless draw in all the flames I've roaring around me, the phoenix shape collapsing into a contained sphere of incredible power and luminosity - looks kinda like the sun. My fans expect cool attacks after all, and I've got a pretty awesome name in mind for this one. Pouring some of the aggression I'm feeling into it, I raise both hands towards Legerdeman, looking super smug.

Gotta announce this loud enough for everyone to hear it. "Grand Flaire Gun!" Releasing the supercharged firey orb, it streaks right at him, ready to explode in a brilliant and relatively safe fireball when it reaches its destination, aka our antagonist. This is gonna be awesome!

Got a 4 on Directly Engage, marking potential.

Rauri fucked around with this message at Jul 27, 2016 around 02:05

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: +1 | Sav: +0 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -2

Dammit - that would've looked awesome if he'd just let me hit him with it!

Soooo yeah, human hostages controlled by money. I know there's totally some Illuminati joke I could be making here, but I'm kinda in the thick of things here and can't really come up with a good one off the top of my head. Sigh. This really isn't going all that well, and I'm partially to blame. Of course it's not like my teammates are doing all that well either... god, really wish Legerdeman didn't look like such a dork. Going to have to work crazy hard after this fight to upsell him to the press, both to make us seem more impressive for having defeated him and explain away our stumbles. Provided we do actually beat him, which we're totally not on pace to actually do.

I don't want to fight his weird money hostages. There's a good risk I accidentally hurt them, and then all of a sudden there goes my all my hard earned goodwill. Better to let my teammates fight them - I've got something way flashier in mind anyways. Throwing my arms back and once again producing my wings of fire, I crouch down and then take off into the sky, the blazing magic about me allowing me to fly for an unpredictably yet short while - whatever, it'll be long enough. Time to show off!

<Rauri> Unleash Powers
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6 + 1 = 7
It's temporary or unstable, but I've got flight.

So easy to remember my purpose when I'm up here, when the people under me look like ants and its just me and my target. I'm soaring through the skies towards the Legerdeman, a burning comet across the city sky. Bet I look like a total badass; I feel like one anyways. Little pissed off too to tell the truth, but that's OK, I've got a pretty immediate outlet for my aggression. Time for some banter while I gather and shape the energy I need for my spell. "You thought you had the high ground? Oh please! Did you forget who you're dealing with here?" I am higher than him now, which is good - I'm trying to put the sun to my back. It's pretty clear he's no slouch at defending against magical attacks, I'll need every advantage I can get. Turns out if you study and nerd out about heroes all your life you pick some tip and tricks up from the interviews and articles and footage you watch...

"Guess it's time for me to stop playing around!" I taunt, projecting an aura of mostly convincing superiority while secretly hoping like hell I'm not about to have to eat my words. I raise a hand towards the heavens suddenly, and if he's watching me at all it should buy me the second I need - because my other hand's moved to point directly at him while he was paying attention to the other one. "Crimson Lancer!" Lets see how he likes getting hit by a wave of pure fire!

<Rauri> Directly Engage again, no chance this fails
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6 = 6
<Rauri> k at least we have team
Spending team selfishly - lowering Savior, Raising Danger. Think we have two left. Raises it to 7, and choosing to intimidate him.

Probably should be helping my team... but I'm sure they've got stuff handled, they were doing such a good job earlier. Plus I have my career to think of! And does it really hurt me all that much if Bunny Bat gets punched around more while she thinks of more ways to insult me, 'cuz I can't really think of a reason why it would.

Rauri fucked around with this message at Jul 27, 2016 around 07:20

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

<Rauri> Take a Powerful Blow
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 7 + 1 = 8
Choosing you give ground; your opposition gets an opportunity.

So on the one hand I totally landed that attack - hooray me! Definitely looked cool, and it was up high enough that there's no way whatsoever a bunch of cameras didn't record it. But on the other, yeah uh, crash landings aren't so great. Stupid Legerdeman is apparently pretty quick with those prestidigitations of his, which leaves me without the air-buffer I'd intended to use to break my fall. Luckily there's some water (a lot of water actually) here to break my fall, but it's not that big of a help... I've definitely got the wind knocked out of me, and lay on the ground for a second struggling to breathe. The only real consolation to this is that since I'm lower to the ground - about as far as its possible to be when you get right down to it - there's also sure to be fewer cameras on me. Still though, ouch!

After about ten seconds I'm recovered enough to slowly sit up, by which point I'm realizing I have two problems. One, I'm totally soaked and there's water everywhere - which weakens my magic. Hard to create flames when the whole place is drenched, and hard to concentrate and channel energy when I'm literally covered in its symbolic opposite. Two, I'm totally soaked and yeah my outfit was not designed for this and there are people nearby! Don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong with showing off (obviously), but looking drenched and cold and nipply is NOT exactly how I like doing that. Already had my top unbuttoned probably one too many, this look is pushing my image a little too far in a direction I'm not comfortable with (but some of my fans, based on the comments and drawings, totally are - yikes).

Legerdeman's technically doing some big magical attack or whatever, but my team can deal with that. I've got a way bigger problem to deal with - an honest to god wardrobe malfunction! Standing up and running away from the stupid exploded hydrant while turning my back to the crowd of hostages turned golems turned hostages - after adjusting my uniform skirt to make sure its appropriate of course - I call to them over my shoulder "Be right back with you folks! Everything's under control!"

With that taken care of I start chanting slowly, moving my arms in a complicated fashion. Normally I could hurry this spell, but still sorta in a lot of pain here from that landing and all this water isn't exactly simplifying things for me either, so I have to be careful about it. Takes about ten seconds, but when I finish I apply a spell I invented to myself for exactly this situation. It's basically a supercharged magical blowdryer centered on myself, which means at least my clothes and myself are dry again and there's no danger of an embarrassing photo getting taken or footage recorded anymore. Downsides are now my hair's insanely curly and frizzy until I can get back to the base, and oh yeah there was a fight going on, wonder what I missed?

Rauri fucked around with this message at Jul 28, 2016 around 05:39

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Halcyon City Bank

Oh cool, looks like we won while I was busy making sure I don't look like I'm about to pose for a cheesecake calendar. Checking my reflection in the window of a parked car along the side of the street, looks like my clothes have dried at least - though my hair, ugh. Don't get me wrong, some of my fans like this look - my hair goes down almost to my knees regularly, but now that it's all poofy and frizzy there's less apparent length and a hell of a lot more volume - but that doesn't mean I do, because I think it makes me look cuter but less hot and that's not the direction I'm trying to go. Besides, I like it when my hair matches my flames, it's a style thing.

Bunny Bat shows up to bitch at me more, and yeah for a second I'm tempted to show her what would happen if I actually did try and kill her - that'd only be fair, right, given that she loving tried that on me first not all that long ago. But instead Barracuda shuts her down, and I can't help but grin a little too publicly about it. "Hahaha, seeya back at the base, Barracuad~" I tell her as she departs via grappling hook, enjoying the view as she leaves and grinning about that as well. The online discussion boards are right, she definitely has a nice rear end. Not as nice as mine, but still close. Bet she pads her suit, maybe I should've thought of that before I decided on this skirt as part of my uniform. Wonder if I should tell her about the Barracaboose meme, or just show her some of the pictures later? God she's so lucky she's my teammate - she is totally only even peripherally famous because we're on the same team. Obviously I don't say goodbye to Bloody Bat, and Tatsu gets a brief thumb's up and smile but otherwise he's a loner and sometimes I get the impression he has a crush on me, so I don't want to embarrass him too badly.

Speaking of people lucky to know me, we've got both a bounty of cameras and a victory to celebrate as a team, but they're basically all leaving. Seriously, I have zero idea why my teammates are skipping out now that Legerdeman's down, talking to the press is totally one of the best parts of being a hero. Looks as if Silver Bolt's the only one sticking around, looking crazy serious about things. Probably nervous about our performance and his as captain, especially knowing that I'd have done a better job, but that's not his fault - time for me to do something nice. "So Silver," I start, putting my arm around his (muscular but still lean) shoulder, smiling brilliantly at him before looking towards the media horde before us. "Wanna come talk to the press with me? You can just stand there looking all," handsome "tough and stuff, I'm really good at dealing with the public so I'll do all the talking, sound good?" Of course it does, and I all but drag the much stronger monster hunter hero over towards the podium with me. No idea how he looks so upset still even when he's standing this close to me, so it's just possible I'm going to intentionally walk in such a way that his arm brushes against my boob closest to him - by which I mean yeah, I definitely do that several times.

No sooner have we arrived at the podium than I've already launched into public speaking mode. "Sorry for keeping you waiting everyone!" I declare to the assembled reporters, running a hand through my uncharacteristically fuzzy hair and brushing it back behind my shoulder while giving them all such a dazzling and practiced smile. "Think I can sum everything up for you in a few bullet points, and then Silver Bolt," I nudge him in the ribs with my elbow to make sure he's actually paying attention to the reporters and not just checking me out (I mean what else would he be doing), "and I will be available to answer whatever questions or do interviews, whatever you all want." At the minimum I totally will be, and it's kinda lucky so many of my teammates have left - there's no chance they can gently caress this stuff up if they're not here after all. "Thanks to the Moonlight Vigil's efforts, not only has Legerdeman been apprehended safely, but I'm pleased to report no civilian injuries of any sort and that all the money has been recovered." I mean, I bet it has?

"Furthermore there was no major damage to the city itself, so I imagine this area will just need some minor road repairs and then it'll be good as new!" Until another villain attacks it in a few weeks anyways, but not like I'm going to mention that. Looking like I'm considering not saying something for a few seconds, I lean onto the podium, adjust my hat, and then slyly add "Oh, and Legerdeman, per his bet with a certain beautiful redhead," there's a few laughs from the crowd, but they're the good sort so I press on, "will, once he's out of jail for his latest crimes, be abandoning his life of villainy and start helping out the League of Heroes. So, a good day for both keeping the people of this city safe, and for redeeming a part of its Rogue's Gallery." Yeah, I look pretty pleased about myself right now. That was a risky bet, since we did kinda actually do poorly overall and having to serve as that guy's assistant would've sucked rear end. Instead though we saved the day, I won my bet with that villain, and I get to brag about how awesome we (but mostly I) am to all these reporters!

Got an 8 on speak to the cameras, picking the following two options
you convince the viewing audience to see your team according to a Label of your choice - Savior
your statement frames you, in particular, as a successful and noteworthy hero of the city; mark potential

"So, does anyone have any followup questions?"

Rauri fucked around with this message at Jul 29, 2016 around 07:42

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Halcyon City Bank

While I'm usually pretty loathe to give up a microphone, in this instance it's actually a good idea to let the "Team Captain" talk, because that's some good stuff from Silver Bolt - I should've remembered to thank the media, they love that poo poo. Him holding both our hands up is great too - classic celebrating teammates pose, press is going to love that too.

Thing is, uh, Silver Bolt doesn't look all that happy. I mean he's a little red in the face, but there's no telling if that's from him having to talk in front of so many people at once, or him being so close to the Hotness that is Flaire. Maybe they can't see it, but I'm standing right next to him - it's obvious to me. Listen, I don't like to brag about it, but I'm a really good judge of other people and like, being all empathic and stuff, and its obvious he's flustered by something. Wonder if what I'm about to do is going to make that better, or worse...

"And let's hear it for Silver Bolt!" I declare suddenly, grabbing the microphone with my hand that isn't holding Silver's. "Team Leader of the Moonlight Vigil, yeah!" Yeah, I guess I have to publicly admit that I'm not actually our leader, but it's worth it for the look on his face.

Speaking of said face, I lean in and kiss him on the cheek, then grin like I just pulled off the world's best prank, glancing sideyes at some of the cameramen in the crowd to make sure they got it. Once that's done I lean my head against his shoulder, grinning and waving and bouncing up and down just a little bit since I'm on camera. I mean, it always works for my videoblog to show off my assets a little without being too overt, I'm sure the same thing will both work here and cheer Bolt up too. Besides, nothing wrong with reminding him I'm hot as hell, right? Or the public in general?

Spending a team to raise Silver Bolt's 6 (mistaya forgot influence over Flaire when rolling, remembered, but didn't edit it back in) to a 7, hence Flaire also providing some fan service this post. Provided mistaya sets the provoke condition as "get a team back if they do it" as opposed to "condition if they don't" we get the point of team back as well.

Rauri fucked around with this message at Jul 29, 2016 around 00:01

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Press Conference

Sooooo this is definitely going well. There's some super obvious chemistry between Silver Bolt and me - I noticed it, he definitely has, and even the reporters have picked up on it. I make sure to look embarrassed towards the Woo'ing Guy, even though I'm one hundred percent absolutely not chagrined by this in any way. This is all part of the theatrics and drama of being a hero after all, and there's nothing wrong with enjoying it. Besides, Silver Bolt obviously is~

I let Silver Bolt take his questions first. He's the team leader, and in a way it makes sense - everybody knows who his mom is, and that he's in charge probably doesn't surprise anybody. Hell, I voted for him, I'm not too mad about him in charge. He does pretty well with the questions, though he's actually somehow harsher with Bunny Bat that I plan to be. Don't get me wrong, she absolutely sucks - but you don't tell other people that, you save it for behind closed doors where there are no cameras.

He steps back to let me take my turn, and for a second I'm hugely tempted to publicly demonstrate some affection again - but instead I just step up to the podium again and smile like I won the Nobel Prize, which now that I think of it should probably award superheroism somehow. They award physics after all, and my magic breaks physics over its knee all comic-book style.

Anyways, questions! "Am in a relationship with Silver Bolt?" I repeat to the crowd, then turn towards him - after a pregnant pause, I turn back towards the reporter that had asked that question with a cheeky grin. "Maybe if he plays his cards right!" Just for good measure I wink too, in a way that ye olden folke might've referred to as saucily, and they can take that however they want. "But as of now, no, I'm ~painfully~ single - just get affectionate after a good day's heroing, pretty sure it's a Phoenix thing." That answers that, onto my next question.

"Who am I vlogging with first?" I look over towards the reporter, then raising a finger and waggle it in a chastising fashion, all church lady style. "Wow, spoilers much? Should've subscribed to my Patreon!" Because I need money really badly, actually. "Trust me, a lot of the filming's done already, but I'm not giving anything away. Stay tuned to my social media accounts if you want to catch it when it first drops though, OK?" Spoilers: I have not filmed anything yet and have no idea who should be in it.

As for that last lady... Wait that's Li Yinde! I know who she is - she'll do or say anything for fame and she doesn't care about being truthful at all. Gotta admire her a little, I think, but that doesn't mean I'm letting her get one over on either me or the rest of my team. "As for Bunny Bat - listen, if I can forgive her, so can all of you." Actually I hate her but whatever, that doesn't matter now, I gotta be super convincing. "One of my favorite parts of being a hero is that you get to look to the best in people - even those that a lot of society thinks of as monsters, or somehow irredeemable. Helping to show people the right way is more important than fancy powers, at least in my opinion, and I know for a fact Bunny Bat's trying. She deserves a chance, doesn't she? Wouldn't you agree?" I know she will, because I totally just turned the crowd against her~

<Rauri> Provoke Li Yinde
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9 + 3 = 12
<Rauri> yussss
In addition, spending my last two hold from Time for the Show. This person volunteers help or information - Brian Brocks. This person must have my help - Li Yinde.

But seriously I hope Bunny Bat dies in a fire. "Besides, she's in good company. Barracuda's basically a ninja and always has that, uh, has our backs, Tatsu's crazy tough and unbelievably chill, plus Silver Bolt's a straight shooter and sharp as they come. Oh, then there's me too - trust me, Bunny Bat's fine batting for the angels now."

Rauri fucked around with this message at Jul 29, 2016 around 06:12

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Press Conference

As the reporters drift away from the press conference to interview the hostages we saved, I have to look just pleased as punch with how things have gone so far. Talk about awesome, right? Silver Bolt did a good job being all straight laced and no nonsense and I got to play off that some, which is probably one of the reasons all my responses went over so perfectly - that, plus I'm really good at this media stuff. Normally I'm used to answering twitter or steaming or blogspot comments instead of a veritable field of reporters, but turns out its pretty much the same, albeit with a little less time to think up what I'm going to say.

Li Yinde, however, isn't satisfied like the other press people here are - she's come over to both of us, seeking a scoop and smart enough to have noticed our praise of Bunny Bat might not actually be as authentic as it seemed to everyone else. She's even making us a pretty good offer... get to tell the truth about Bunny Bat, without getting blamed for it, plus the Bugel will supposedly start going to bat for us. It actually sounds a little too good to be true if anything. Good thing I'm great at reading people, so it should just take a quick glance into her eyes to see whether she's trying to pull a fast one us or not.

<Rauri> Pierce Li Yinde's Mask
<Rauri> !r 2d6-3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5 - 3 = 2
Obviously did not anticipate this working, the only reason it wasn't at -4 (due to Angry) is because the minimum roll modifier is a -3.

As I thought, she's totally on the level. Must've been really impressed with how we handeled ourselves, or maybe she knows how important we (or at least some of us) are going to become and wants to get on my good side early. Whatever the case, we can definitely trust her. I beam at her, offering her a hand so we can shake on the deal even as I start to issue a couple preconditions. "Definitely say 'sources close to' or 'our anonymous source' or whatever - I'm all about people hearing the truth, but I don't want to disrupt the team, OK?"

With that established it's totally time to actually let her (and Silver Bolt by proximity) know what I feel about Bunny Bat. Trust me, I'm having to mentally censor myself some here, and the playfulness and infectious good cheer I work hard to project is gone from my voice. "She's an absolute jerk. I mean, she tried to KILL me not all that long ago, totally never went to jail for it or really had anything bad happen to her over it, and now she's on the team and hasn't even once apologized over it. Plus she acts like she's so much better than me, constantly calls me names, and it's like... OK Bunny Flat, you've probably killed people and you're definitely still some creepy vampire, but I'M the person on our team that needs ridiculed? It's crazy!"

Believe this satisfies the Hurt Someone condition to escape Angry at the end of the scene.

Rauri fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2016 around 11:29

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Press Conference -> By Argent Cycle

I'm at least as ecstatic about how all that went as Silver Bolt is. While he sits down on his bike and effervescently offers up praise for how both of us - but especially me - handled all of that, I'm leaned back against a lightpole and basking in his words with a big grin on my face. It's hard not to, because he's totally right; we did a pretty amazing job, more so in the press half of things instead of the fight, and he even wants his family to watch it! His mom's a big name hero, I used to doodle her symbol in the margins of my notes when I was younger, and he thinks she'll be impressed by it.

Wow I practically feel like dancing. Being a hero is the best! Even better, it seems I didn't just impress the civilians and all those reporters - Silver Bolt is, uh, Smitten Bolt. With me. He likes me, is my basic point, and I can tell because he's going all super-blush-powers on me again. He's asking if that was all for show or if it was kinda genuine, and while it's not really all that professional of me to confirm that I put on an act at all, he deserves to know. Plus like... he's really cute, and I'd have to be a total idiot to shoot him down here.

"Oh, that stuff back there?" I motion and look over towards where the press was, pretending to be confused a little and dragging this out for an extra second or two because it's funny that this is embarrassing for him. "Do you mean like, the kiss, and the hug, and all that?" I tap my chin, as if I hadn't thought about it before, then lean forward and give him just the biggest smirk ever. "Of course it was real, silly!"

"I mean, I may play things up for the cameras some - with everybody, because have you ever heard of shipping? My fans are crazy for it." Willing to bet FireBolt fans are just smug as gently caress right now, now that I consider it. "But yeah, you're cute and I think you're pretty great - plus I voted for you to be team captain, and just between you and me you're doing a really good job."

Raising Silver Bolt's Savior by one, lowering Mundane by one.

Leaning in like I'm about to kiss him again, I instead whisper into his ear, so close to hugging him. "See you back at base, OK?" Looks like it's time for me to rocket there myself... hoping for not a crash landing this time though!

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, say whether it's part of the show or not. If it is not, then they shift your Labels, and you can clear a condition or mark potential. (Has influence already, clearing Angry)

Rauri fucked around with this message at Aug 1, 2016 around 06:05

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: Rooftop -> Back to base

Oh my god oh my god oh my god, I am so increasingly ecstatic throughout Brian's praise and subsequent offer that I feel like dancing. Actually, you know what? I'm on top of a skyscraper, there's no one around and no one to see me... there's no pressure on me and therefore I am so dancing right this second. I've taught myself how via YouTube videos, and ultimately all that matters is I express some of the absolute joy I'm feeling. Villain beaten? Civilians saved? Press appeased? Possible date? Career opportunity? Clutching the phone to my ear while Brian fills me in on what he has in mind, I am doing an absolutely spot-on and adorable Single Ladies dance, since it's literally the best way I can think of to express my joy at just being me!

When he's done I finish the spin I was doing, coming to a rest with a lean against the wall behind me. "All of that sounds great! We'd both be delighted to show the city that it's attitude and determination that gets good done, not just fire powers or whatever else. Mind direct messaging me on Twitter with the details? I gotta go, getting close to our base and-" I hit the end call button, and grin at my own cleverness. Gotta maintain an air of mystery about us after all, and an unreachable base definitely helps.

Guess all that's left now is convincing Bunny Bat to not be a bitch and actually help me - and, uh, now that I think about it? Maybe I should tell her I what I said... or maybe not. I dunno, which is less likely to get her to try and loving kill me again?

Whatever the case, back towards our base I go!

Rauri fucked around with this message at Aug 2, 2016 around 08:35

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: +0 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -2
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: Base - Lounge

As always, first thing I do after we finish hero work is take a shower and change. Definitely landed in a bunch of water, hair needs fixed badly, and besides long hot showers are incredibly enjoyable and it's not as if I pay for the utilities here. About thirty minutes after arriving back at the base I emerge from my room, phone at about seventy percent power and in one hand, comb in the other, hair still a little wet - but otherwise I'm totally ready for the mission debriefing / hopefully celebration.

"Hey again everyone~" I announce merrily to my teammates, walking over to my usual spot on the couch and leaning back into the comfortable thing. Crossing my legs and putting the phone in my lap, going to multi-task here and comb my hair while tweeting until Silver Bolt decides to get on with the debriefing or whatever. I have a ton more social media work to do after this of course, but I can do handle that while watching a movie I've already seen or something.

tweet from @Flaire posted:

Watch the news if you're local, will have better footage up on YouTube later! Saved a bank, beat up wizard, ndb~ You all like it? #Flaire

tweet from @Flaire posted:

Also talked 2 press. Anyways 1st person to come up with (good) fanart based on newest win, wins a prize <3 <3 #FlaireContest

<Rauri> Provoke Flaire's Fans
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9 + 3 = 12
Let the fanart (and additional views that will hopefully generate) commence!

Rauri fucked around with this message at Aug 5, 2016 around 06:22

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

I mostly just pretend to listen to Silver Bolt, nodding my head and muttering affirmative statements occasionally while I think about myself. I'm not nearly as amused by that picture of me as everyone else on the team is, though I try to pretend to be. It's... listen, I'm going for a certain image here, and looking like I'm not doing my job so I can put my appearance first isn't exactly part of the brand I'm working hard to cultivate - and plus, most of my fans really like the idea of me as someone that kicks rear end and is effortlessly stylish while doing it. No sense riling their feathers.

Speaking of them, they're awful invested in the idea of me and Silver Bolt - and while I can't blame them, I know I gotta fix this. The idea is the shippers need to be able to plausibly match me up with anyone, and I may signaled that I like him (because I personally do) more than I should have. We can hang out privately, but I definitely need to focus on that photointerview with Bunny Bat and a video blog with Tatsu or Barracuda, gotta appeal to the NightLight and Flairracuda and CorpseFire to make sure they're still invested in me though. Also, my fans really need to actually draw me fighting for this contest, not just Silver Bolt holding me or me dripping with water, which seem to be the two most popular themes right now.

Putting my phone away when Barracuda starts berating Bunny Bat, I have a hard time not looking pretty pleased with what she's saying - even though Wildfire's here. Have I mentioned I don't like him, or it, or whatever? Because they're infringing on my fire gimmick and they have NO personality, it's quite boring. Anyways, I chime up when my nimble teammate's done, figuring now's as good a time as any. "Yeah, I got made fun of - a lot - for stalling the villain while the hostages got away," I alert the team, only looking at Bunny Bat for a brief fraction of a split second before looking anywhere else. "If my Phoenix Fires are too bright for you, I'll loan you money to buy a couple pairs of cheap sunglasses." Gotta be cheap ones though, I'm increasingly broke...

Spending a point of team to support Barracuda.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Ughhhh, it's really dumb of us to have this argument while Wildfire's here. For a bit I pretend to go back to my phone while Tatsu and Bunny Bat start in on us, as if 'Cuda and I were the ones that hosed things up instead of them, acting as if they're totally above reproach and that we're lucky just to get their advance. It's, uhhh, total crap, and it's honestly taking me a ton of self control to not yell some. There's stuff about villains being driven into bankruptcy that sounds worth talking about, but honestly, I don't care to know about it

"I'll text you!" I call to Barracuda as she storms out, still clearly on her side in this dispute. Of course the second that I speak up, Bunny Bat's acting incredibly smug about having driven one of our teammates off - she's got a giant grin on her face - and yet more taunts from her, from the person I stood up for at the press conference even though she tried to kill me. All those lies I told about her trying to be a good hero, trying to help the team... it's so obvious she doesn't actually care, and that she's no different than she used to be. The whole idea of her as a good person is an absolute joke - it's just not a very funny one.

Now it's my turn to jump off the couch, putting a hand on my hip while I glare down at Bunny Flat. "She had a point - we're supposed to be figuring out what we can do better, but you don't actually loving care, do you?" I'm obviously angry, but at least I look hot when I'm mad. "You nearly killed me one time, never even apologized for it. Make fun of me constantly even during missions, but I DEFENDED you to the press - even though I didn't have to." I did it to make the team look good, not her, but she still benefited so it counts.

I give Silver Bolt a sympathetic look, then back towards the undead duo. I'm done here too I think, just gotta get one last ultimatum in because they seem cool. "I'm not working with either of you again until you apologize to Barracuda - and seriously Bunny Bat, you're probably a murderer, how DARE you make fun of other people not being perfect at heroics?!"

There, now I'm storming out too. Bet she says something awful and acts like the team breaking down more is something to be happy about, because she's a terrible person and she's making all of this less fun for the rest of us (except maybe Tatsu).

<Rauri> Hot and Bothered vs Bunny Bat
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5 + 3 = 8
They both lose Influence on each other.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: Base - Flaire's Room

Ughhhhh, I was stupid. What if Wildfire reports all that to the League? I bet he will, and yeah I should've just kept my mouth shut while he was here. That has to have looked so awful... I could spin it as sticking up for a teammate and / or what I believe in, but no way that weirdo will.

It takes me a few minutes to get over how badly that meeting went. In that time I've locked my door (not that it could keep a single person on the team out, it's more a symbolic thing), put Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind on my projector so I can watch it in the background, and pulled out my laptop so I can do some proper social media work as I lie on my bed. Takes a bit, but after only a short post, two tweets, and five followup encouraging responses, I've got the contest steered in the right direction. Not sure what the prize for it's going to be yet - because I'm going to probably steal whatever idea everyone seems most excited about and claim it was my plan all along - but it's fun to check out how cool everyone thinks I am, how awesome I look in the pictures other people are drawing for me because they like me!

Totally want to go show my teammates some of the pictures people are making, but then I remember I stormed off in a huff... so I go back to basking in the well-deserved praise for me on my accounts. Except... what's this? Not all's well on Twitter. Seems that Firebrand managed to find himself to fight today, and he decided to be a backhanded jerk to me in the process. Dude might not give interviews (because he'd bomb them since he's a belligerent jerk) but he sure finds the time to stay on top of pop-culture and current events it seems. What, we fought an hour or two ago at most, and he already had material planned? Obsessive much dude? Reading the tweets of people implying he's somehow burned me kinda sucks, but at least they let me know I gotta fix this quick... plus he's trending above me, and that's just absurd and I have to rectify it now.

He just made a super huge mistake putting the ball in my court, ie that of public opinion. It's time to concern troll the hell out of him, and I'm pretty sure I know exactly how, and it'll get him to blow up and look super petty. That'll teach him to be more popular than me AND an asshat about it. Did you know he has a Twitter account? He never uses it, but I bet I can change that too...

@Flaire ✔️ posted:

1/3 Fun Fact: One of the first ever heroes, Human Shield, helped start tradition of heroes (important ones anyways) giving press conferences

@Flaire ✔️ posted:

2/3 The idea - shared by the League of Heroes and countless other teams throughout history - is that it shows they are accountable to public

@Flaire ✔️ posted:

3/3 The Moonlight Vigil is honored to continue that tradition - recommend all heroes do, can gives lessons if needed #TheMoreYouKnow

@Flaire ✔️ posted:

@RealFirebrand - Liked your fight! But why hurt them so badly? Can help you practice control if you want? #BeCoolAboutMagicalFireSafety

<Rauri> Provoke Firebrand
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9+3=12
Trying to get him to blow his stack, lose his cool, and start a Twitter beef with Flaire in such a way that she looks like the sympathetic one. Feuds are good for ratings right?

Rauri fucked around with this message at Aug 10, 2016 around 08:34

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

If any of my teammates are lurking outside my door - very possible, I know they all think I'm interesting - they're treated to at least a solid three minutes of me just about laughing my rear end off over Firebrand immolating his brand via Twitter. Every new tweet is better than the last, and I'm totally aware that I've already got this won. Like, I could just stop right this second and he'd still look like a total rear end in a top hat to everyone that watched this go down, aka my thousands of loyal fans.

But why go easy on him? Sorry dude, but the League's not big enough for the both of us and you're kinda a poo poo. I've got him right where I want him, and it's time for the checkmate.

@Flaire ✔️ posted:

@RealFirebrand I didn't know nice meltdowns are one of your powers - guess there are things you can teach me after all @Wickedelegance

<Rauri> Seek Help from Audience
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Nea> I say this having just graduated high school :v
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 7+3=10
<Rauri> yussss
When you seek help from your audience, roll+Superior. On a hit, someone in your audience can hook you up. On a 10+, they'll only make a small demand.

That's right, I brought in Wicked Elegance to this mess right when Firebrand's at his lowest point. She's one of my fans but I've got a ton of them, not like she's a big deal or anything - she's just on the Super League itself and a famously effective and awesome hero! I used to have a poster of her when I was a kid, and now she's my sponsor and we talk occasionally and she's totally going to have my back in this. Plus my fans will go crazy to see a hero on the actual League responding to my tweet, so it's going to be doubly awesome to watch her burn the gently caress out of him!

Oh my god I have to celebrate this with someone - I'll just end up spending all night on the internet while listening to music and watching movies if I don't, and that's no way for a hero to spend their time! Remembering my promise earlier, I pull my communicator out and send a message to Barracuda, grinning all the while.

txt to Barracuda posted:

OMG come back to the base have something awesome to tell you!

Rauri fucked around with this message at Aug 15, 2016 around 08:16

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

There's a knock at the door, and for a second I can't figure out if Barracuda was just hanging out nearby waiting for a message from me, or if she got her insanely quickly since her powers definitely enable that - but really either option's cool. Now I have someone to hang out with and share some of the artwork my fans have drawn, plus I get to brag about how awesome I've made myself (and by association the rest of the team) look on Twitter, and maybe she's never seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? I'm not that far into it, I can definitely restart it if she'd like to see it, I love sharing awesome films after all!

"Just a second!" I call at whoever just knocked. Placing my laptop next to me on the beanbag, I pause the movie - just because I've seen it before is no excuse to let it play without paying even a little attention - and then hop out of my seat, walking over and opening the door in order to admit... Bunny Bat? The Hell?

Staring at her in confusion for a moment or two, I defensively throw up my flashiest grin when I realize that she's here on purpose and Barracuda isn't just playing some sort of prank on me by inviting BB along. I have no idea WHY she's here of course, but I'm like... ninety five percent certain she's not going to attack me this time (I totally could take her if she tried, uh, obviously) so worst case scenario she just spews a few more slanders my way and then I shut the door in her face. "Oh! Uh, hey Double Bs - need me to invite you inside or something?" I make a welcoming hand motion just in case, since vampires are loving weird. Has she ever seen the inside of my room before? Bet hers has a coffin in it.

I wait a beat, my smile somehow growing even larger, before adding "That was a joke!" An attempt at one anyways.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Holy poo poo, she's actually here to apologize? I can feel my jaw go slack, I'm absolutely stunned - I'd think it was a trick if Bunny Bat had ever bothered with subtlety before. Plus she looks super nervous, and I've never seen her look this way before. It's... oddly humanizing? I mean she tried to kill me once, but she's sorry for it, and from what I understand about heroism (a ton!) forgiving and working with people that tried to kill you once is just a part of the job. Kinda not so great that it's not a public apology of course, but I've got an idea or two on that front that will work out best for everybody - my adoring fans, her, and most of all me!

Also, mental note, Bunny Bat's not allowed to go on a diet if being hungry causes her to go all Dracula on somebody. Need to talk to Silver Bolt about that... and maybe a few other things. Anyways, I'm impossibly good at reading people and I can tell Bunny Bat is genuinely sorry - maybe not enough, but she's trying. So I guess I should forgive her... in a calculated fashion, of course. To start off, let's turn the movie back on - want some audio cover to make sure we're not overheard.

Next up I offer her a big grin and an even bigger hug (please oh please don't bite my neck). And you know what? I've never realized just how TINY she is. Like seriously, she'd look like my bratty little sister if she had red hair - and a bit more fashion sense, and definitely needs more pizazz and glamour - but the point remains that she's tiny and also for once I'm not scared or annoyed with her. "There, there, it's cool. We're good." We're not but I'm accepting her apology, speaking of which onto phase two!

Releasing the hug and grabbing her hand, I guide Bunny Bat to my bed to sit next to me, offering her a fanmade Flaire plushie to use as a pillow if she wants it and also to show it off. "I mean, not going to lie to you - that one incident," murder attempt, "really sucked. I was in the hospital for three weeks, and that was EXPENSIVE and my parents don't support me anymore, so yeah I'm still paying it off. Plus no one visited me..." For a second I can't help but look really sad remembering that. Lots of comments on social media, but the trip to the hospital was just too far for everyone I guess. poo poo, I didn't mean to think about that now!

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they will tell anyone the truth about you. If they agree to keep it a secret, clear a condition or mark potential. If they don't agree, then they shift your Labels according to how they see you now.

I look worried for a second, but recover and gesture at a poster a fan drew that I got enlarged at a Kinkos. "Anyways I have a reputation to try and maintain, so no telling anyone that, OK?" I put an arm around her shoulder now, smiling like I'm sure we're on the same page about everything, including the one I'm just about to turn to. "Speaking of... wanna do a video with me for my blog? Show we're united? Like you said?" Yup, that'll work.

<Rauri> Provoke Bunny Bat to do a vlog with her
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6+3=9
Yami, add a Team to the pool if Bunny Bat agrees to help. Let's try and mend this bridge!

Rauri fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2016 around 07:52

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: | Location: Base - Flaire's Room

Adding potential via Team Move.

While it's not possible for people's pupils to change into dollar signs (unless you had some sort of hologram projector or illusion magic or shapeshifting now that I think about it) mine definitely would if they could about right now. Did Bunny Bat seriously just offer to pay off that hospital stay? Don't get me wrong it's totally her fault to begin with, but that'd really help me out! "Oh wow, yeah that'd be amazing, thanks a ton!" I hug her again, a lot more enthusiastically this time.

Also she thinks my fans hate her, which is really kindof adorable - she clearly has no idea how the internet works. "No, actually a lot of my fans ship us." That doesn't seem to mean anything to her, so I sigh and reach for my laptop, then bring up the folders of fanart and particularly noteworthy stuff fans have left for me. Doubleclicking on the one named 'Vampfire,' I show off some of the art that's been made of the two of us together (I don't click on the X-Rated folder, again some of my fans are quite weird) and let her look through them. Key things fans of that pairing seem to like - the two of us sniping at one another, her being a jerk to me because she likes me (fat chance of that) and vice versa (an even fatter chance), and, uh, blood symbolism.

"Basically, some people on the internet think that because you're mean to me - and that whole drank my blood incident - that you've got a crush on me, or me on you, or both of us on each other - who knows, the point is a fraction of these people probably mostly pay attention to me because of that." Has she got all that? I search her eyes to ascertain how comprehending she is of the nuances of 21st century advertising.

Combing my hair while she continues to search through the pictures in that folder on my laptop, I add "So yeah, if we do a video where that dynamic's preserved - you acting all annoyed to be in it, me 'intentionally' not noticing you being annoyed, and the two of us just talking about heroism or even watching Youtube clips and reacting to them, my fans will just absolutely eat it up! We don't have to do it right now, I gotta write a script for us first."

I think for just a second, and then tempt her with the following. "Oh, and I'll even have a pretty hilarious surprise for the video itself - trust me, you'll love it."

Rauri fucked around with this message at Aug 18, 2016 around 04:45

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

I'm an attentive listener and I'm carefully considering what Bunny Bat's saying... and oh wait something just clicked "Wait your dad's Dracula?!" That's, uh, insane?! "You sure he won't mind?" I'm pretty clearly surprised by this, but her next question puts me on a much more even keel. Why like my fans even when they draw art that, on occasions, can be bad and / or creepy?

"Oh c'mon - they draw really awesome stuff too!" I open the folder with some of my favorite fanart of myself, all of them (at least in my opinion) a combination of amazing, cute, heroic, and fun. Double clicking on the newest addition to the folder, the awesome one of me with the Phoenix-shaped Fire around me, looking so confident and bold and larger than life (but not in a bad way, I'm drawn proportionally in it and therefore look great), then explain further. "See? And that's just from today! People have done songs before too, and upvoted me in polls online I had no business being in, and I got about five hundred birthday cards last year, and..."

I'm bragging maybe a little too much, so I just have a tiny bit more to add. "Seriously, being famous is super amazing - and I REALLY love being a hero, so why not combine them? Besides, being famous will definitely help me get onto the League of Heroes one day!"

Seriously, she doesn't even know what YouTube is. This is embarrassing for her.

There's a knock at the window, and hey Barracuda's here! I look towards her with a smile - and move over to open the window, greeting her with a quick "Hey Barracuda!" But it's already too late - it looks like she's spotted Bunny Bat and she's looking sick from what I can see of her. "Oh comeon! We're hanging out and looking over fanart people have made for me, it's fun! Besides we gotta work together and Bunny Bat already apologized to me, so it's all cool." I offer her a hand in case she'd like help into the room, not that she needs it, and there's gotta be no way she rejects my overt overtures of friendship, right?

Rauri fucked around with this message at Aug 19, 2016 around 08:16

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

"She's not ALL bad," I report to Barracuda as I help her into my bedroom. Guess I'm mentoring her now instead of Bunny Bat, not that I mind too much of course. I mean, I definitely appreciate the two of them finally realizing they can come to me with their problems like they clearly are - it's just that I've got so much else on my plate! Like, for example, that Silver Bolt and I were supposed to watch a movie together tonight and I guess he decided against it?

Handing her my laptop after I've opened it to the folder with the art that pertains to us (Flairacuda), I'll let her peruse it for a moment while I explain what I meant. "I mean she's definitely being horrible to you, but I bet she'll apologize if it's not public - she's really shy." Poor dear, being shy is an incredible curse, and either she's shy or mean and I'm hoping it's the first option. "Plus her dad's Dracula and he's paying my hospital bills." That can just skate by without any explanation, right?

"Anyways..." While she's looking at the laptop I'm switching the film I've got in my projector - so long Eternal Sunshine, hello Life Aquatic - and then plopping down on the bed next to her, drawing the blankets up over the both of us and offering her a pillow if she'd like one. "Movie and slumber party? I've got snacks and stuff to drink if you want any, it'll be a lot of fun!" I had her back earlier, I'm sure she'll repay me now - I mean why wouldn't she, I'm ME, and my teammates especially know how amazing I am! This must be like a dream come true for her!

<Rauri> Provoke Barracuda to watch a movie with Flaire
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 3+4=7
<Rauri> awww
Take a condition if you refuse.

Rauri fucked around with this message at Aug 20, 2016 around 10:29

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 4+1/5 | Conditions: | Location: Base - Flaire's Room

Of COURSE she was able to convince her parents or whoever to let her stay out tonight - I really bet Barracuda used every trick in her arsenal to get them to agree, since it means a slumber party with me! I motion at the microwave I've got on my bookshelf, next to all the snacks I have in here, and it's already going with a big bag of some weird rainbow-colored popcorn a fan sent me a couple weeks ago. I pat the bed next to me, but only have the one blanket, so we'll have to share. She's just as ready to watch movies as I am, which is awesome! "Welcome back - and yeah, movie time!"

What followers is about two and a half different films (Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, Drag Me to Hell, and Shaun of the Dead) worth of discussion, eating snacks, and occasionally pausing the film to checkout a clip on YouTube or for each of us to put different songs we like on for the other to listen to and pretend to like. It's really fun to be honest, even though she refuses to talk about the Vigil and keeps pretending she actually quit the team for reals, but I totally know better. She's going to show up to help us out halfway through a fight just when we need her and be all badass about it, and then everything will be right as rain - but I guess I should humor her until then, so I avoid bringing it up agai.n. I'm being kinda generous about it though, after all I already let her pick all the movies but one!

Speaking of, at some point during Shaun of the Dead we both pass out under the comfy covers, the blu-ray title screen providing white noise as the two of us slumber...

Barracuda made Flaire feel closer to the team (really everyone did but Tatsu, but she did it most recently.) Gain influence (so shift her labels) and I'm taking potential / an advance! Picking Are You Watching Closely, from the Delinquent

---------------------------------------

It's pretty obvious as I wake up and reach over in bed and Barracuda's not there, and then there's a note from her on my window telling me she's left, to deduce that's she'd left already. Yawning, I place the note next to my cellphone, then head into my bathroom to take a quite-lengthy shower. Emerging twenty minutes later and changing into a tank-top and some yoga pants, then head towards the kitchen, hair still drying and phone and note clutched in my hands. It doesn't look like anybody else is around right now, so I guess I'll just pour myself a big bowl of cereal, put some coffee on, and start checking social media while I eat.

Looks like lots of messages since I stopped checking yesterday night, lets see - oh, couple dozen twitter DMs, few hundred responses there, some stuff on Instagram and Facebook and Snapchat and a few other locations as well... browsing through them real quick, I stop the screen from scrolling any further when I run across Wicked Elegance's tweet.

@WickedElegance posted:

@Flaire did a good job yesterday, @Firebrand. Let's all remember we're on the same side here.

Which... YES! It totally makes him look like an rear end, even if she had to be all political and not call him out. Plus there's an actual Senior League Hero openly backing me up, I have to look so incredibly cool! I look around the kitchen real quick to double check for teammates, but the momentary disappointment of no one being here to celebrate this with can't diminish my good cheer! Ohhh, I soo want to send another smug tweet at him right this second, but nah - got a better idea. Taking the note that Barracuda left on my window, I walk over towards the window, place it down in a good spot on the counter, and then grab my mostly empty cereal bowl and a cup of coffee and place them near it - it's definitely center frame, but then they're behind it in a diagonal, and then the sun's shining in from overhead so overall it just looks perfect. Taking a couple quick pictures with my phone, I select the best one and upload it to Instagram, and then link to it via a tweet.

@Flaire ✔️ posted:

Having a good morning, had a better night~ #MoonlightVigil

That should keep my fans occupied for a bit - now all I have to do is contact Brian Brocks about the photoshoot, double check that Bunyn Bat will even do it, start writing a script for the vlog, find some time for Silver Bolt, and technically defeat villains if there's an emergency or something?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 4+1/5 | Conditions: | Location: Base - Flaire's Room

I'm in the middle of washing out the bowl I was using for cereal when suddenly Bunny Bat's semi-adorable, semi-terrifying shriek reverberates up from the basement, and I'm so momentarily startled that I drop the bowl into the sink. Taking a second to make sure it's not cracked (looks like the edge got chipped a little, should be fine to eat out of still), I can't help but grin. I have NO idea what she's mad about, but it doesn't sound like the angry sort of mad, if that makes sense? "Be right there~" I call out, assuming that she and I are the only two people here because otherwise why would she be yelling?

Once the milk and cereal are put away and I've got my cellphone in hand along with Barracuda's note, I depart for the basement where Bunny Bat keeps her lair. While it was probably a smart move to keep the two of us on opposite ends of the base back when we weren't getting along, now it's just inconvenient for me. I mean, unlike everybody else on the team I don't have super or even regular athletics in my skill set anywhere, so it's not like I enjoy running up and down flights of stairs all day.

Finally arriving at Bunny Bat's basement level bedroom, I put one hand on the edge of the door-frame and my foot against it, and then sort of lean forward into her room, meaning my incredibly long and still semi-wet hair cascades forward enough to actually obscure the tank top and yoga pants I've got on some. I don't think anyone on the team is used to seeing me out of my uniform, but I felt like relaxing this morning. Anyways it looks like she's at her computer, wonder if that's what she's mad about?

Doing my best to sound like I've absolutely no idea why anyone would ever yell at me, I give her a giant smile when she notices me and then say "Need me for something Double B?"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Base - Flaire's Room

One of my fans sent Bunny Bat something? I move into her room more, noting the coffin with a mixture of pleasure at having called that she had one and, uh, well fright because yeah, she's a vampire and while I can forget that occasionally something like that's a pretty stark reminder that she's undead and drinks blood and can turn into a bat or something?

Anyways, she's outraged about what is, all things considered, a fairly tame picture... which sets me to giggling the second I see it. Plus it's actually pretty well drawn, and I appreciate the (slightly) exaggerated bosom the artist gave me in it - though maybe Bunny Flat's mad about being drawn fairly accurately? It's cute if anything, no idea why she's so mad about it. We're public figures, people draw porn of us, it's how the internet works - and while yeah I may have encouraged it some, it's a Chicken or the Egg situation as far as I'm concerned. I'm about to helpfully inform her that at least the artist didn't give her a dick, but a) that isn't what she wants to hear right now, and b) she might ask to see the less tame ones, and yeah if she thinks she's mad now...

But then she wipes out my good cheer in an instant. She doesn't want to do the video with me anymore??? But I told people she was going to! My reputation's really important to me (says the person that's entirely cool with porn being drawn of her so long as it's well made), and Bunny Bat's saying the only way that she'll keep her promise from yesterday is if I do her history homework for her! And from the look on her face... I could TRY and argue, but it probably won't work. So let's see, should I give in? Is fame worth getting blackmailed over?

Agreeing to do Bunny Bat's homework for her, adding a point of team to the pool.

Hell yes it is. "OK, sure BB!" I give her a big thumb's up, glancing over her shoulder a second to read the title of the email she just got. Maybe if I'm extra-nice to her this next week, she'll get her dad to agree to take a selfie with me? That'd look awesome, right?! "You can just send me the instructions or whatever, I'll work on it this morning. Gosh, I mean it's been nearly a year since I've done ANY schoolwork, it might actually be kinda fun!" It won't, but I'm being so drat generous right now... because I need another favor from her.

"Oh yeah.... I almost forgot! You remember how I stuck up for you during the press conference yesterday?" Of course she does. "Well, I MAY have told one of the reporters that we'll do a photoshoot with him - a very tasteful one!" I'm already bringing Humans of Halcyon up on Facebook so I can show the type of stuff Brian does to her. "About both of us being heroes, our views on it, all that good stuff. It'd help out the team and both of us, and maybe even inspire some people. If I let Tatsu do the videoblog with us too, you'll be in it right? It'd mean an awful lot to me..."

Rolled a Provoke against Bunny Bat to agree to participate in the Photoshoot; got a 6, so marking potential and awaiting a hardmove~

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

I'm actually kinda offended that Bunny Back has got a totally blank background. That's just... tacky. Clearly I need to get some of my fans to makeup a cool symbol for the Vigil, so we can turn it into a wallpaper for her computer!

Leaned back against the wall with my arms folded across my chest while the two of us converse, it seems she's got a few questions about the photoshoot for HoH, so I put her worries to rest as easily as I can. "Haven't scheduled it yet but it'll probably need to be soon... maybe we can do the vlog tonight, and then I'll talk to Brian Brocks - he's the guy that runs Humans of Halcyon, he's really sweet - to setup a date and time?"

Whatever, I'm so excited for everything that's going on (aside from the Homework of couse, but that's a small price to pay) that I'm peeling myself off the wall and giving her another big hug, this time minding the height difference between us and not letting her motorboat me. "Thanks a bunch Double B! I'm so glad we're getting along now, this is great!"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Base - Bunny Bat's Room

I give Bunny Bat a real quizzical look after she asks me about my hugging habit. "Uhhh, since forever? We just weren't getting along so I wasn't giving you any, but I'm a naturally affectionate person. I think it's my Phoenix Soul. Also you needed a nickname so I'm going with Double B." I play that off like it's just that simple, but... maybe twenty percent of that is true - and it's the part about me being affectionate. I NEVER hugged people if I could avoid it before I got my powers, I was legit socially awkward. So weird for me to think about!

Gotta admit to being bewildered by her having trapped her room. That's just, I don't even know. Raising an eyebrow quizzically, it's obvious she knows very little about how I think. "Bunny Bat, let's get one thing straight... if I was planning on attacking you, it wouldn't be when you were unprepared. I'd have to setup livestreams and post-fight interviews, tease it out in the press beforehand - the point is, I definitely wouldn't just ambush you or something like that, it'd be lame. Plus you're my teammate, so you don't have to worry, since we're both heroes!" That's definitely the proper priority for those two reasons.

She didn't just attack me though... maybe a smidgen too defensively, I also add "Silver would never attack you either, he's a sweetheart. Even if you basically MADE him do it, he'd probably miss on purpose." Like he definitely did earlier today.

Regardless, I actually have HOMEWORK now. Ughhh. The things I do for my teammates, I'm basically a saint when you get right down to it. "Going to head back to my room, but just email me the details on your homework and I'll write something up. Thanks Bunny Bat!" Extra hug for good measure, and then I'm practically skipping back towards my room, determined to check Twitter since it's been nearly fifteen minutes since I have!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

You're drat right I'm not doing it myself! I didn't drop out of school to be a hero in order to do schoolwork, after all - I did it to be a famous and beloved hero that fights for justice and gets amply rewarded for doing so. Besides, Bunny Bat doesn't want me doing her schoolwork. True, Elyse got pretty good grades... but I haven't gone by that name in forever; I'm not really that person anymore. So I'm definitely going to tab Marida to do it for me - she definitely owes me one, and she'll do an amazing job because she's an amazing nerd.

Reaching my room again, I shut the door behind me and then flop down onto my bed, checking my phone as I do. Turns out people are loving the exchange from yesterday night, with Wicked Elegance's final shut down the cherry on top of the whole situation. It's so glorious.

First I email the instructions to Marida Dash concerning Bunny Bat's schoolwork, along with early notification of who I'm picking for my contest in case she cares and an invitation for the two of us to do lunch soon. If Dracule (oh my god actual Dracula, I still can't believe it) is seriously going to like give me a check or something, I can totally afford to eat out again - er, not that I should ever be paying for my own meals, of course it's an honor for anyone to pay for my relatively dainty meals!

Once that's done, I send out another tweet. Gotta let people know the contest prize, see if I can't get any amazing last minute entries due to the excitement it generates. Pretty pleased with the ideas so far, but I know WAY better than agreeing to sing random songs for the winner - they'll probably have horrible taste. Same goes for the movies, but I kinda almost want to make it that one. Riffing on movies, especially with Barracuda and Silver Bolt, would actually be really hilarious. poo poo, I about want to hit myself for never having thought of it before.

@Flaire ✔️ posted:

6 hours left on art contest, so time to reveal prize! Will watch any two movies winner picks + comment on them with teammates #FlaireContest

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

Oh wow, if Marida thinks whatever she's found is serious, it almost certainly is. Grabbing my uniform and changing really quick, I'm sending a response saying that I'll meet her there as I'm heading out the door. No real reason to rocket there, so it's either walking or public transport time. Yeah, really wish our team had a car, since riding the monorail in my hero uniform is always intersting. Sometimes I meet fans, sometimes people want pictures of me... and a lot of times people ask me what I'm advertising or who I'm cosplaying as. It's annoying.

Then again, as I board the mono, at least I can have my phone out the whole time. Grinning at the other two people in my compartment as I take a seat (they're probably fans of mine) I withdraw my cell and start tweeting again, unable to resist checking my social media accounts more. It's amazing, between the fight yesterday, the press conference after, and my adroit handling of the situation with Firebrand, I'm blowing up right now. God, I love the Moonlight Vigil and being a hero so much, this is the best ever. Just imagine how many followers I'm going to gain in the next couple days!

Thoughts of stardom playing through my head and ego-stroking messages and tweets scrolling across my phone, I'm walking towards the Galaxy Arcade with plenty of time to kill when all of a sudden who should show up but a worried and hustling Tatsu? I've no idea how he doesn't spot me, so for a moment I'm content to watch, mouth agape, as he starts to yell like a crazy person about wasting time on people - except he seems to actually be right about it. There's definitely a few people and they're after my teammate, ahhh! poo poo, what to do? Think Flaire... Got it!

Wasting no time at all, I bound forward into the street, starting to summon up my magic as I do. If these idiots are after Tatsu, it's my job to help him out and stop them - and I have the perfect way to do it. Striking a dramatic pose and pointing an accusatory finger towards the three of them, I call out to make sure everyone nearby can hear me, and all the while red light starts to glow in front of my hand, slowly changing to yellow and then to white as it gains power. "Have no fear, Flaire's here!" Oh poo poo that's good, I better remember that.

It looks like I have their attention - it's time for the show. I smile at them, and then point up directly above me... which naturally they follow. "Look out!" Flicking the hyperconcentrated fire from my fingertips up towards where they're looking, I detonate it once it's at the perfect spot. This spell's custom, and it's one of my favorites - very very big on style. It's basically Don't Look At The Sun You Dummy, but I have a way better name for it. "SOLAR FLAIRE!"

<Rauri> Are the goons chasing Tatsu Watching Closely
* megane (~Sam@synIRC-FC1B2DC9.austin.res.rr.com) has joined #swampthings
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6+3=9
Picking you get an opportunity and you confuse them for some time, both via blinding them with fire magic

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

So, uh, my bad on that one then? Whatever, I'm going to play it off like accidentally blinding two innocent people is no big deal, since what if someone's recording this on their phone? There's definitely civilians about (I just blinded two of them) so I definitely have to look cool yet hot to everybody here. Er, well, all but two people here, and I gotta at least sound cool to them. This barely even counts as heroism, it's easy - we've basically won already. But that doesn't mean we can't make this look good, reassure the civilians, have some fun and, well, obviously we can use every fan we can get. So with that in mind, I take a step forward, take a deep breath, visualize my performance - and here goes nothing!

<Rauri> Time for the Show
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9+3=12
3 Hold, spend one further down in my post so actually 2

A dramatic wind picks up just as I spring into action, making my long hair flutter and shine in the sunlight. I resist the urge to wave to the crowd, and instead face the trio that was stalking Tatsu. "Don't you three know that stalking's against the law?" Really managing to walk that thin line between sarcastic and serious I need to make that line work for my brand, I'm proud of myself. The grin I've got on my face doesn't need any work, I've practiced it often enough - plus I'm authentically pretty pleased with myself right now - that it's about as natural looking as can be.

"Tatsu, you got those three - I'll protect the civilians!" He actually listened to me last time, unlike everybody else, so hopefully he will now. Silver Bolt's not here, we don't have a leader, and he should totally do what I said... since I sort of need him too, I'm already springing into action. Fire igniting beneath my feet real quick, I take off (dramatically) with jets of fire trailing behind me. It both looks amazing, and also importantly, it'll help me save the civilians while looking stylish as hell.

It's not until I'm close that I recognize the one. See, uhhh... I didn't always have powers, or look this good, or basically be the epitome of what any reasonable person my age (or any really) should want to be. I used to be kindof a dork, with few friends and no followers and no boobs and brown hair and memorized stats on basically everyone involved in the superhero scene - but one of those few friends was Matt Kaibun. He was like one of maybe seven people that even knew I existed a year ago - and that's definitely him, even if he's here with a girl on what looks like a date and that's impossible.

Matt Kaibun - Flaire's Former Friend and Fellow Nerd

Dashing with blazing speed towards the middle of the blinded trio, I leave Tatsu to hopefully do his thing while I lead the other two away - gently caress if I can carry them, I don't have super strength or even regular strength. "It's Flaire, I've got you both - you're safe now." From being blinded by me again for at least a little while, sorry Matt. Definitely speaking loud enough for the nearby civilians to hear, but I'm looking at my former friend all the while.

I... I kinda can't believe it. I haven't seen anyone from my old life in forever, and he just happens to be here? On a DATE?! It's insanely distracting to imagine the kid that sat around with me bemoaning school dances and talking about who the objectively best hero and villain are suddenly being noticed by anybody but our little group but good for him I guess! Totally not distracting me at all!

<Rauri> Defend Civilians
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 8+1=9
<Rauri> Flaire is killing it
Taking Influence over Matt (who I am also spending 1 hold to say admires the Moonlight Vigil) but exposing self to risk.

Rauri fucked around with this message at Aug 31, 2016 around 05:29

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

drat do I make this look good. My coat's fluttering about dramatically while I dodge this weirdo's clumsy charge, and I'm about to make a cool declaration when suddenly he shatters the side of that building - and his hand - like neither's a big deal. I'd just figured Tatsu had been a jerk to a couple people he shouldn't have... but these clearly aren't people, at least anymore. "Oh that's gross dude!" I can't help but exclaim, trying to assure anyone that just saw this guy's hand shatter that we're both on the same page vis-à-vis how loving sickening it was.

I guess I shouldn't have said anything - he's charging at me again, and I can't dodge this time! If I do, Matt and his girlfriend or friend or whoever are going to get hurt, since they're right behind me and they can't see. I only have a split second to do something, everyone's watching me, but my friend will get hurt if I mess up...

Goddammit. Why did it have to be someone I actually know?! "DUCK RIGHT NOW!" I make sure to shout first, and I can't help but sound less composed than I usually do.

Only after that do I look back towards the charging freaky chubby guy, trying to utilize my magic on the fly in such a way as to not just vaporize this guy. "Let's turn up the heat!" I remark, doing just that - let's see if this guy can charge into a localized temperature spike that I'm fully immune to without backing off or passing out first!

<Rauri> Flaire Directly Engage Goofus
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5=5
<Rauri> yup

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

Are you KIDDING me?! I actually get a chance to both show off to and protect one of my childhood friends - all without letting him know who I secretly am - and I gently caress it up like that?! Stupid, stupid. I'm actually more pissed at myself than I am at the dumb monster (since its not a person, it just looks like one, it was my mistake not noticing that earlier and utilizing stronger spells) but don't worry, it's definitely next up on my list of things to be mad at. As the one looms over me, having knocked me flat on my rear end and nearly knocked the wind out of me, I've got some big plans for this zombie or whatever it is - and wouldn't you just know it, all of them happen to involve tons of Fire!

<Rauri> Take a Powerful Blow
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9 = 9
<Rauri> meh
Taking two conditions, Angry and Guilty, but pressing on!

As I stagger back to my feet as gracefully as possible, my plan to destroy the monster that just hit me in the most grandiose fashion I'm capable of has to change on the fly - since it looks like Tatsu hosed up even worse than I did. At least mine's still fighting me, after all, but the one he squared off against is running straight towards Matt and What's Her Face over there! Goddammit, if he was like... any other civilian, I'd probably just save myself and pretend I didn't notice. Easy enough to shift the blame to Tatsu if I have to, right? 'cuz I mean, it's not like I should have to get smacked around by this dumb zombie, they were his problem and not mine, and yeah have I mentioned recently that I'm not super tough or even regular tough? Really don't want this gross monster touching me again either, so there's that too.

Problem is, it's NOT any other civilian - it's Matt. I may have been the one to sever contact, but I'm not letting the times we spent together reading comics and arguing at school and debating who the coolest hero is mean nothing. Though speaking of, not only do I have to save him, I gotta do this all in a way that looks good too. Only a split second to think, and then I spring into action!

Pointing towards the monster that ISN'T about to hit me because I guess it's the price of being a hero, I let loose with a particularly clever spell. This thing wants to charge right at em, right? Let's see if it can slow down when it needs to. "Oh no you don't! Ring of Fire!" Let's see it try and menace them while it's trapped within the, well, Ring of Fire I've just created around it! The spell doesn't last all that long, but it'll keep them safe for now.

<Rauri> Defend Matt
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 8+1 = 9
Choosing to remove Angry but exposing self to additional danger aka the one currently menacing her (unless Tatsu wants to send a team my way or defend Flaire)

I, on the other hand, have a zombie I probably needed to deal with, and he's right behind me...

Rauri fucked around with this message at Sep 9, 2016 around 08:19

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

"Nice job Tatsu!" I yell as he smolders on the flames along with our foes, having managed to push the one that was about to him me in there with him. On the one hand, I actually think that sort of stuff hurts him, but on the other he gets right back up after getting hurt and I wish I could do that - the dumb hit from that fat zombie is near certainly going to bruise, which sucks. No swimsuits for a couple days, blehhhh.

It looks like Matt's OK, and I've got priority messages. Checking them like it's no big deal, entirely in an effort to show off, it seems like Ledgerdeman is out of jail somehow and wants to talk to me. gently caress! The whole him being a good guy thing sounded great because he was supposed to get a ton of jail time for robbing a bank and threatening tons of innocent people! Did he use my name to help get released or something? Is he out on bail? This is bizarre and makes no sense but I'm sort of fighting zombies so if I'm going to have time to respond, I'll need to make it myself.

Speaking of zombies (aka every combatant here but me!) they've managed to get back to their feet, and these three seem entirely too eager to dodge our attacks. It's so tiresome, it's like they're designed to make me look bad - I've had enough of this! They're not going to ruin this chance I have to impress Matt!

Reaching both of my arms out as wide as they can go, I start to build up magic behind me - causing a blazing pyre to form off my uniform, concentrated into two firey jets that resemble wings. Once everyone's gotten a good look, I proceed, and slam my hands together, fingers outstretched, like I'm about to fire some energy beam at them. "Phoenix Feathers~"

<Rawri> Flaire Directly Engage
<Rawri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rawri, 6 = 6
Wanna spend another team Tatsu? If so, giving him an opportunity!

It's not a beam, though - because that'd be cliche and boring. No, my fans want excitement! A single blast is out, a thousand swarming tiny blasts looks much cooler! Let's see them see through this! "You're up Tatsu!" I announce, figuring he's probably regenerated by now. If he has and he hits them it'll totally look like I planned it too, and I NEED to show off here. Speaking of, to top things off, I withdraw my phone from my pocket while the smoke clears and tap out a quick message.

text to Barracuda posted:

Wait he's out already? Am fighting some zombies near Galaxy Arcade w Tatsu, TV near you? Can you see if we're on it? Tell Ledgey hi but not too hi~

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Are you kidding me?! These things can eat my magic!!! That's not even remotely fair! It looks a bit like it was too much for him though - suddenly he's down, and I'm watching him in case it's some sort of trick, hands on my hips like I can't wait for this gross zombie to just get finished with whatever it's up to, unless it's exploding.

Turns out that was a bad idea though, since it actually does explode. With me five feet away. Looking directly at it. Turns out my flames won't hurt me, but shockwaves still exist and so does an intervening wall between me and the direction I was being blasted. End result is a lot of pain from the collision and me being effectively flashbanged.

<Rauri> Flaire Take a Powerful Blow
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 8+1 = 9
<Rauri> ewww
<Rauri> could be worse I guess
You give ground; your opposition gets an opportunity - Flaire is blinded and deafened for a bit, so Tatsu can manage the immediate post-battle activities without her being able to stop him.

Picking myself up off the ground, I'm having a hard time seeing or hearing, my back hurts, and there's basically no way that looked cool. I can't even tell if Matt saw it yet, since yeah blind, so I can only hope the explosion was too distracting. Leaning against the wall I just got knocked into, I'm gonna take a second or two to recover before I go greet him and his girlfriend. I'm sure Tatsu can keep me safe and won't say anything too stupid until I'm slightly better, and not barely seeing stars anymore.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Oh hey cool, Tatsu's here to thank me! I mean, it makes sense - I did massively inconvenience myself to help him, even though he was a jerk to me yesterday, and we took down three zombies by just ourselves. We even kept everyone but me safe! Not exactly a perfect performance, but we've got every reason to celebrate and oh he's not thanking me.

Nope, he starts things off by asking me if I've got a brain and it's all downhill from there. Are you kidding me? The only person more committed than me to being a true hero on our team is Silver Bolt, maybe, and I'm great in a fight. If you count Tatsu, I took out three zombies in that last fight! There's no concern from him for me at all, even though I just did all that to help him and I got hurt because of it. And now he's trying to butt his way into my busy social life? Sorry dude, I see what this is about now - and you're out of luck, since there's no room for someone in my calendar that's trying to neg me.

Super tempting to ask him if he's the big expert on brains since he's a gross zombie that eats them, but we're in public - so we gotta not look like bickering idiots. Holding my forehead for a moment under the pretense of adjusting my hat, I very quickly hiss to him "We're in public, if people see us arguing with each other it hurts the whole team." And me! Matt's RIGHT THERE, he'll overhear if Tatsu keeps berating me!

Scanning our audience real quick, it seems as if we've got more than just Matt and What's Her Face watching us now - our (my) heroics were bound to attract an audience. Despite my injures, the show must go on! Giving everybody a quick bow, I snap my finger and point up, sending a couple weak and colorful fireballs streaking into the sky, where they explode in various shapes - my own superior version of your standard fireworks finale. "Danger's over everyone, thanks to the Moonlight Vigil!" Oh yeah, I'm adding a dramatic pose in here too, since why not?

Spending a second point of hold to declare the civilian audience admires my team now.

Rauri fucked around with this message at Sep 20, 2016 around 06:47

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

The biggest flaw, when it comes to my performance as a hero, is that sometimes I'm too perfect. Not when it comes to manage civilian crowds like this, obviously - do you see how much they love us despite how much we both (mostly Tatsu) hosed up? No, I meant my Twitter game. I'd only meant to tease my fans, and it looks like that note that Barracuda wrote was a little too overt (but not really) for me to have used. Hmmm, how to fix this? As I walk over towards both the cheering crowd and the entrance to the Galaxy Arcade, away from Terrible Tatsu, I tap out a few messages on my phone, presuming that everyone will just think it's some heroic post-battle responsibility of mine.

txt to Marida posted:

Hey sorry for delay, Zombies #HeroProblems Be there in a sec!

txt to Silver Bolt posted:

Hey can we talk? Kinda wanted you to initiate this but it prolly can't wait. Don't check my Twitter till then OK?

txt to Barracuda posted:

Any chance you want to rejoin the team? People seem really into the idea of us together, can def market this. Call me!

Finally reaching our adoring crowd, I have a minute or three to enjoy their praise and smiles and attention before I need to link up with Marida. I'm so gracious, signing autographs and posing for selfies and answering questions, doing my absolute best to be the most charming and beautiful heroine they'll ever hope to meet - and you can drat well bet I'm paying special attention to Matt (and kinda to that girl or whoever), since they're the civilians we most overtly saved but entirely because you cannot begin to believe how cool it is for me to have saved him. We literally used to talk about being heroes all the time, and now I am! And not only that, I just totally protected him, showed off what a great hero I am, it's perfect! Tatsu can try and rain on my parade, but I won't let him - his gloomy disposition is no match for my passion!

Spending last hold on Matt - This person must meet me.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Ths is DEFINITELY the best. I deserve this, the adoration and affection and near-worship these people are giving me for both having saved their lives (maybe) and being stylish (definitely). Eventually though things thin and it's just Matt and me. I've definitely enjoyed the attention I got, even if it was so fleeting - fifteen minutes isn't nearly enough for the pain I just put up with - but this is important too.

Guess I may have dropped enough hints to him that he's pretty sure he knows who I am - so either I can tell him now all dramatically, or he can figure it out later at an inopportune moment for me, that's how these things work. Let's go with plan A.

I wink at Matt, grabbing the brim of my hat and pulling it off my head in order to hold it in my hands, facing him honestly - but looking all around real quick to make sure there are no cameras or other civilians nearby. "You definitely know me, you're totally right! So, remember your one friend Elyse?" He'd better, or I'm going to be crushed. "She's me!" I pose dramatically, since it's my one chance to make this memorable for both of us. Pretty sure saving his life was a good start!

In case that isn't enough though, I continue, all bubbly and excited. "I got powers, had a falling out with my parents about it, ran away, cut off contact with Elyse's life in order to be Flaire... sorry about that." I actually am - he was a really good friend back in the day. I'm super famous (or at least deserve to be) now, but I can still appreciate people from my backstory. "Please don't tell anybody, I don't want anybody digging up my old yearbook photos or something like that and posting them to Twitter."

<Rauri> Provoke Matt to Keep a Secret
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 7+3 = 10
<Rauri> yusss

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Hahaha, it's kinda funny to watch him fumble around like that. I know exactly what he means, he doesn't have to pretend otherwise - if you're rating by attractiveness on a scale of one to ten, I used to be a five (at best) but now I'm an eleven, since My Powers Are Awesome. He's not looking as bad as he used to be, either - it's amazing what a year, a growth spurt, and clothes that aren't Nerd-Themed t-shirts and jeans will do for someone apparently. I definitely hug him back, surprised that he's taller than I am. He didn't use to be, but it's kindof nice.

But then he asks about, uh, why I left him behind basically. Not going to deny it, that's exactly what I did - I had really good reasons though! Leaning against the wall and folding my arms in a profoundly cool way, let's start to recount them! "Uhhh, yeah let's just say mom and dad didn't exactly see eye to eye with me on my plan to drop out of school and make a living being a professional hero - even after I showed them my magic!" Such bullshit.

Twirling a strand of hair between two of my fingers, I continue to recount the tale / my excuse for being lovely. "So I haven't been in contact with them for months - I've mostly survived because the Vigil's base has a rad kitchen and my Flaire Fans send me money and stuff occasionally - you have NO idea how much pocky I have in my closet." I'm not sure why my fans got the impression I love it, because I don't, but like... it's been too long since that became a thing, it'd be crazy for me to admit that now.

Even I realize I'm just babbling at this point, evading the issue. I can try and bigshot him on this, pretend it was some necessity of the job and requirement of the League... or I can just be honest. And you know what? I don't get to be honest very often, or with many people. It's kinda worked for me in the past couple days - Silver Bolt didn't contact me after I confessed to liking him a lot which is meh, but Bunny Bat's being better towards me even if I do need Marida to do the assignment she foisted on me - and I actually kinda trust Matt more than either of them. "I'm... I'm super, super sorry. I just... I didn't want to be Elyse anymore, I'm Flaire now. I shouldn't have just abandoned you like I did, I was a really lovely friend. I'll make it up to you though!"

I can't help but grin, because I have two very big cards to play here, and the first one means a lot to me. "Hahaha, you're actually the only person to know my secret identity now. So, uh, know you won't, but please don't mention it to ANYBODY. More than anything it's a prestige thing among heroes, I don't want my old name leaking out - it'll be embarrassing and dangerous." My parents have probably guessed it, but they've had the decency to just ignore me instead of selling that secret to the press, so good for them.

"Anyways, wanna come check out the base sometime? We can hang out like we used to?" My schedule's full, but he's worth fitting in. I may have been lariated by a Zombie and yelled at by another Zombie, but today's not so bad after all!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade

I totally return the hug, super pleased that he both accepted my apology and wants to keep hanging out! Not to mention he's not going to tell anybody anything about my secret identity either, so that's pretty fortunate for me too. Also? Him trying to imitate my moves is adorable~ "No, I don't..." I confirm when he asks if I still have his number, though I'm quick to tap the one he gives me into my phone. Same one he used to have, if I remember right. "Awesome! Thanks dude, we'll definitely hang out soon!"

That girl he's partnered up with for his Science project seems mad about something (probably jealous of me, which is understandable so it's not like I'm upset by it) and rushes over to snatch my friend away from me. Since she's here I can't be too personal about it, so I just give them both a playful wave and grin. "Have a fun day you two~ Remember to follow me on Twitter, kay?" It's a reasonable request - I did just help save both of them!

With those two off on more mundane endeavors, guess I better retrieve Zomboy and see what he wants to shout about next. If he's getting randomly attacked, probably better get him to head back to the base - then I can go visit Marida and gossip / discuss the homework she's doing for me for Bunnybat.

Putting on a brave face and walking over to him, I'm going to be the bigger person here. Maybe it's having spoken to Matt, maybe it's just the thrill of success with the crowd, but whatever it is I'm feeling a lot calmer than I was earlier. Also, little less injured. "I'm sorry for how stuff went earlier - I was just trying to help you. I saw things about to attack you, and you're my teammate even if we both know you don't like me..." I cannot recall a single nice thing he's ever said to me, and I'd like to think I've got a good memory for compliments I've been paid.

"So that's why you should head back to the base," I suggest, leaning against the wall and subconsciously posing as I do. "If stuff's out to get you, we need to talk it over as a team, and until then you should head somewhere safe. I know you can't die or whatever, but whoever's after you probably knows that too, right? And if they're still after you, it means they're after something else about you or they have some way around it." It's pretty basic hero logic. When a villain that can't beat a hero or vice versa starts acting super smug, you just gotta assume they have at least one ace up their sleeve - and Tatsu's pretty publicly survived my fire's and getting golem-stomped and a host of other attacks, so it's not like they wouldn't know.

I'm not sure if he's going to listen to me, but I hope he does - and I'm watching him closely to see how he's taking things, how I'll need to adjust my sales pitch. Gotta know your audience, and I'm really good at reading people after all~

<Rauri> Flaire Pierce Tatsu's Mask
<Rauri> !r 2d6-2
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5-2 = 3
Potential get

Rauri fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2016 around 09:43

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade - Alley

Before Tatsu can respond there's a Bunny Bat out of absolutely nowhere! Stupid physical powers, I bet she like... did that weird silent creeping thing vampires do in movies. Also she's got some friend her too, which is weird since I honestly figured she didn't really have many. Anyways, that main point is she's shown up and all four feet of her is going max inquisitorial towards me, acting like I messed around with Tatstu (they're dating?!) behind her back. It's absurd on so many levels, and I'm just about to set the record straight when Tatsu doubles down on making me feel unwanted. Thanks dude, super happy you're on my team too.

Whatever, the undead duo are done chattering dem bones, so I'm gonna speak up now. "Yeah, I got lariat-ed by one of the zombies that was after your, uh, boyfriend." I undo a button on my shirt and pull my top down some, showing off the newly forming bruise. "But we managed to beat them, so hooray us - or at least the press thinks so anyways, since I put on a good show." I really did, by the way - no one's offered my any congrats for it either!

Smiling at both of them, I finish my explanation. "I was only here because, well, Bunny Bat... I outsourced your homework to a supersmart friend of mine, and we were gonna meet up for coffee and games at the Galaxy Arcade and then discuss some stuff, including your homework." That's reasonable of me to do, I'm actually fairly sure she'll be happier with that anyways. "I have NO interest in Tatsu, you seriously don't need to be worried about him being interested in me either."

Turning towards Tatsu, I just say this. "I seriously don't get what I've ever done to you dude, but whatever it is - sorry or something."

Turning away, I wave over my shoulder at them. "I'll see you two later, gonna go hang out with Marida for a while." They're supposed to like me. Everyone's supposed to like me, but they don't! Why? I seriously just don't get it at all, and it's bugging me as I stalk off, pleased with having the last word and already remembering how awesome those civilians think I am...

How can I get Flaire to actually fuckin' listen to me about teamwork?
Maybe try being nice to her even a single time, and then couching your teamwork ideas in ways that aren't overtly critical of her? Basically - if you give her even the slightest proof that her efforts to get you to be nicer to her are working, she's going to respond super positively and will listen for a bit.

What are ya really plannin'?
Flaire assumes Tatsu is in danger because she just some him get attacked and he clearly needed her help, so she's trying to convince him to go back to the base so she can go about the rest of her day feeling guilty for not wanting to stick around and guard him.

What do ya want me to do?
Flaire legit wants Tatsu to get along with and like her, both because they're on a team and because she assumes everyone should like her. Right now she wants Tatsu to admit she did the right thing trying to help him when she saw him in trouble. Also she really wants Tatsu to do a VideoBlog with her and Bunny Bat watching and riffing on movies.

Rauri fucked around with this message at Oct 11, 2016 around 07:21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Near Galaxy Arcade -> The Stadium

I totally WAS going to keep dramatically storming off, but then Bunny Bat revealed that Silver Bolt might be in trouble - ahhh! Making sure to give BB's nerdy-looking friend a wave, I quickly chime in with my opinion once Tatsu shuts up, all the while tapping out a few quick messages on my phone. "Either that or he's training... yeah, that's totally weird and worth looking into. Looks like we'll need a ride though, since I'm bringing a friend along and neither of us can fly." Or all fit on Tatsu's bike. Good thing I'm famous and basically everybody loves me, I bet I can just ask and we'll end up with something cool!

txt to Marida posted:

Hey sorry for change of plans - gotta run to stadium with BB and T to check on SB, but you've waited on me for a while already, so wanna come along and we'll hang out right after?

@Flaire ✔️ posted:

Anybody near the Galaxy Arcade that has a vehicle the Vigil can borrow real quick -need room for 5 - I'll pay you back~ #MorninglightVigil

And just like that, my phone starts beeping practically incessantly with messages - most of them basically useless, but a few of them are from people close by and with cars they'd just love for me to use. Perusing my options, I send a reply to the lucky winner with a link to where we are on GoogleMaps. "Found us a ride, should be here in a minute or so! Oh, and hey Marida!" I give her a wave when I see her, glad that this is all working out so incredibly well!

Rolled The Audience in IRC, got a 6 - BB or Tatsu, feel like spending a team to improve that?
On a hit, someone in your audience can hook you up. On a 10+, they'll only make a small demand. On a 7-9, their demands are a lot higher. On a miss, you've made a mistake, and your audience won't help you until you've redeemed yourself in their eyes.

----------------------------

As I pull the borrowed Firetruck (that I managed to not crash on the way here) into the Stadium parking lot, sirens and emergency lights definitely still blaring, I feel it's worth mentioning that I don't ACTUALLY have a driver's license. Definitely insisted on being the one to drive it though, because I mean it was my fan that (probably shouldn't have, but doubly good for him) let me borrow it real quick. Probably should've held out for the stretch limo, but that've gotten us here a lot slower, and there really is a possibility that Silver Bolt is in trouble so time's a factor... and besides, driving this thing here was actually pretty funny, if apparently worrisome for the other passengers. Like I said, we made it here in one piece, no one should be upset!

Unbuckling my seatbelt, I'm about to open the door when a really good idea occurs - and I did get us here super quickly by driving through all the red lights we hit, so I've earned us an extra second or two. "Hey everybody!" I look at the people on the seat next to me, then those towards the back. "Gather up, taking a picture real quick to send out!" I'm sure Marida's gonna be stoked, and it won't hurt to show my fans all of us gathered up like this in this truck, looking all cute and cool and heroic - this is about to be the third battle I've been in in less than twenty-four hours, and being this busy is definitely cutting into my social-media time!

Once everyone's gathered up (I'm not unlocking this thing until Tatsu does, I'm sure he's going to try and hold out) I put my arms around BB and Marida, angling the camera so it get a good shot of all of us - with me obviously in the center, looking incredible and smiling brilliantly - and then take it, the image already uploading to Twitter as I do. And with THAT accomplished, it's time to go save Silver Bolt!

• Locked thread
«2 »