Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1591095170355040256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
RIP to my favorite Batman.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's so sad to hear, what a great guy. Delighting as Batman since 92, fan for 30 years and counting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, he always seemed like a cool guy. Only 66 :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm so sorry to hear of his death.

He will forever be the best Batman.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

drat and blast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aw poo poo this genuinely ruined my day

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gently caress me. Was he even under watch for any health problems? :(

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

gently caress me. Was he even under watch for any health problems? :(

Cancer.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
ABC says "a short battle with cancer." :(
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/kevin-conroy-longtime-voice-animated-batman-dies-66/story?id=93123964
gently caress cancer.

Rolling Stone has a nice piece on him, including some lovely quotes from Mark Hamill.
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-news/kevin-conroy-vocie-batman-dead-obituary-1234629452/

RIP Batman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Obviously this is the least important part of this tragedy, but I imagine that basically torpedoes that BTAS revival thing that was 'being shopped around' by WBD.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The reason this is so surprising is that Conroy was still pretty active and voicing batman in a bunch of things. I wouldn't be surprised if there's stuff he's done that hasn't even been released yet.

I haven't really watched many of the DC animated movies, but I was under the impression that a lot of them were still within the canon of the Bruce Timm series, and despite all the visual differences, Kevin Conroy Batman was one of the major things linking them and the animated series. I don't know if there's anyone out there who can maintain that version of the character without having to just establish a whole new interpretation. I think Batman's place in stories is often to be a rock-solid anchor for all the zany things around him, so a major change to the character like that disrupts it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I think just the ones in the Timm style were canon to the DCAU, while Conroy voiced Batman in lots of other movies that were strictly non-canon.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

The reason this is so surprising is that Conroy was still pretty active and voicing batman in a bunch of things. I wouldn't be surprised if there's stuff he's done that hasn't even been released yet.

Yeah, just this year he did all the Batman lines for that Multiversus game (which means that if that game still has DLC, he may have recorded lines for interacting with new characters), an episode of the new Netflix He-Man show, and some VR game I've never heard of. Which isn't a lot but shows that he was still doing stuff.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 12, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That sucks poo poo. When I think about Batman, it’s his performance I think of—always.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think of Diedrich Bader depending on how goofy the Batman is, but yeah Conroy's the definitive "normal" Bats

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

For me, he was Batman. Bader is my distant 2, especially after the latest Harley Quinn seasons. West was #3 and well swaps with Bader alot in my mind.

I own all of BTAS om DVD so for tribute tonight we watched Beware the Gray Ghost, Heart of Ice, and Nothing to Fear

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nanigans posted:

I think just the ones in the Timm style were canon to the DCAU, while Conroy voiced Batman in lots of other movies that were strictly non-canon.

I think the last one that was even supposedly DCAU was the Harley Quinn one from a few years ago (that I didn't hate, but that puts me in the minority)

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I own all of BTAS om DVD so for tribute tonight we watched Beware the Gray Ghost, Heart of Ice, and Nothing to Fear

I always wanted another Grey Ghost episode where Conroy voiced Simon Trent and how he kept getting calls to play the same role for 30 years. He had such a different carrier from Adam West.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 16, 2022

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's kind of weird to think that we're like four years further away from the debut of Batman The Animated Series than BTAS was from Adam West's Batman

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's kind of weird to think that we're like four years further away from the debut of Batman The Animated Series than BTAS was from Adam West's Batman

it wasn't weird til you POINTED IT OUT AND MADE US ALL FEEL OLD

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

It lasted a lot longer though, especially if you count the other DCAU stuff with Conroy still playing Batman.

Fake edit: there's way more episodes of the West Batman than I thought. 120 plus the movie. But it all came out in like a 3 year period.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/WBHomeEnt/status/1592925532395405312?fbclid=IwAR32gos5j-RBR4GDdihTVx-bzY3nrrzHnAaMKD2ISXKagsZJ-fjg59KVuQY

I hadn't even heard this was going to be a thing. Not that WB has inspired confidence of late.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/WBHomeEnt/status/1592925532395405312?fbclid=IwAR32gos5j-RBR4GDdihTVx-bzY3nrrzHnAaMKD2ISXKagsZJ-fjg59KVuQY

I hadn't even heard this was going to be a thing. Not that WB has inspired confidence of late.

Wait, was that Arm Fall Off Boy around 21 seconds in?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hell yeah my boy Chuck is in this!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Does anyone know if there’s release dates/announcements for the Lego DC Comic book films? Can’t find anything.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

We've talked about Garfield in the past in here so maybe it's okay? It's only kinda related anyway.The Garfield episode is "Mistakes Will Happen."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKNrvhNSLqk

I watched Garfield and Friends religiously growing up but never saw this one. It's so....insanely meta and self-aware, even more than other such episodes.

It reminded me how my GF really doesn't like 80s TMNT for the constant barrage of animation errors with the wrong turtles speaking e.g. you see Raphael but hear Michelangelo's voice.. Maybe simple animation errors were just really common back then and this episode is a commentary on not just Garfield but most of 80s cartoons.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

We've talked about Garfield in the past in here so maybe it's okay? It's only kinda related anyway.The Garfield episode is "Mistakes Will Happen."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKNrvhNSLqk

I watched Garfield and Friends religiously growing up but never saw this one. It's so....insanely meta and self-aware, even more than other such episodes.

It reminded me how my GF really doesn't like 80s TMNT for the constant barrage of animation errors with the wrong turtles speaking e.g. you see Raphael but hear Michelangelo's voice.. Maybe simple animation errors were just really common back then and this episode is a commentary on not just Garfield but most of 80s cartoons.

80s cartoons were by and large 22 minute long toy commercials so production quality was an afterthought at best barring a few labors of love (that were still toy commercials). So yeah almost certainly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, half the Seekers in Transformers basically only exist because of animation errors.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think with the 80s you have a cross of TV cartoons getting more ambitious from the fact that there was all of a sudden big money in cartoons again, but also a lot of places having to execute that ambition via cheaper overseas labor where it's less possible to supervise things. A lot of the toy commercial cartoons are also very high detail, so there's a lot of room to get things wrong.

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, half the Seekers in Transformers basically only exist because of animation errors.

Early on with Transformers they needed to draw duplicates and characters that didn't exist to bulk out the Decepticons' numbers, because there were something like 2-4 times more Autobot characters than there were Decepticons at the start. They later managed to get a decent amount of Decepticons so they didn't have to cheat crowd scenes anymore, but still there have always been a lot more Autobots (maybe the later shows that focus on more on a tight cast of autobot protagonists and a new villain each episode might've shifted the numbers the other way a bit?).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Oracle posted:

80s cartoons were by and large 22 minute long toy commercials so production quality was an afterthought at best barring a few labors of love (that were still toy commercials). So yeah almost certainly.

I recently watched the original Jonny Quest, and I liked it so I've started watching the '80s series. The original is from the '60s, but I think its animation largely holds up, they put real care into that show. The '80s series, while I'm enjoying what I've seen, has two animation errors right in the intro that I can't not see. Also, the characters all look chunky and designed for toys, despite the fact that I'm not sure it got a toyline.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was an 80's Johnny Quest?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You mean you’ve never experienced the pleasure of hearing Jeffrey Tambor as a giant rock man?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

You mean you’ve never experienced the pleasure of hearing Jeffrey Tambor as a giant rock man?

I saw some of the 60s show and the late 90s reboot on Cartoon Network as a kid, no idea there was an 80s one.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Skwirl posted:

I saw some of the 60s show and the late 90s reboot on Cartoon Network as a kid, no idea there was an 80s one.

Yep, this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFO9MEFcT6Q

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, that flashlight error really stands out. However the intro does have what looks to be a large-headed man in a diaper flying a hang glider and shooting a blow dart so who's to say if it's good or bad, really.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Anyone watch the Super Sons DTV movie?

Anyone... have a theory why after like an all time great run of animated TV shows the DC DTV flicks are such uneven, frequently terrible, nonsense?

should I blame Geoff Johns? I'm gonna blame Geoff Johns

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My armchair guess, it's like a chicken running around with its head cut off. Or just bad decision making. Plus it seems in tone/vibe they're trying for this odd middle area that won't appeal much to many. They watch like a kid's movie, and not a brilliant Pixar one, but also like it's trying too hard to be cool. I'd also guess they're rushed with not great budgets. Also the direction is bad, and the writing is bad. But at least they're trying.

I did enjoy a bunch of them from 10 to 17 years ago or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

OnimaruXLR posted:

Anyone watch the Super Sons DTV movie?

Anyone... have a theory why after like an all time great run of animated TV shows the DC DTV flicks are such uneven, frequently terrible, nonsense?

The writers get handed a list of character beats from editorial that they're required to hit.

Damian Wayne's plot arc in every show/movie/etc is:
- Introduced as an insuffrable dickhead
- Suffers a hubris-based setback that forces him to rely on someone
- Maybe gets punched in the face often enough in the middle that he stops being insufferable
- Mellows out enough to become a team player

They're not building off of anything and they don't trust their audience enough to start Damian at Stage 4. If he's a major character he has to go through that arc every single time. And they do that for every character, even if the plot arc is one that was done much better in Justice League or Justice League Unlimited. They've boiled their characters down to plot points and they don't give the writers enough wiggle room to do anything fun in between.

Couple that with DC's over-reliance on mind control plots to have the good guys punch each other and it all just feels incredibly stale before you even start watching. I am so sick of Starro.