Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

drrockso20 posted:

I thought his The Dark Knight Returns version had some rather good voice acting too, and his The Batman incarnation was great as well

The episode where Joker tries to be Batman and gasses people committing really minor infractions is one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

hiddenriverninja posted:

The episode where Joker tries to be Batman and gasses people committing really minor infractions is one of my favorites.

Yeah that was a classic episode, though one of my favorite moments with him is in the first episode, though less for him and more on Batman's part, first thing Bruce does when they first meet isn't to try and beat him into paste like most versions of Batman would, he instead tries to talk him down and wants to help him, and only uses violence once Joker males it clear he won't stand down

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nanigans posted:

Man, I remember when season two came back with a time skip and a bunch of new characters that were only kind of explained, and old characters missing, and, and...then they apparently kept doing the same poo poo the next season!

Weisman keeps throwing in new characters and they don't get nearly the focus of the original cast because he'll bounce back to them, so everybody just feels kind of there. I was excited for the team I thought was going to be The Outsiders and to hang out with them but we didn't get that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm about to pull the trigger on the DC streaming 7 day free trial. I plan on binging season 3 of YJ. Anything else I should prioritize?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on the DC streaming 7 day free trial. I plan on binging season 3 of YJ. Anything else I should prioritize?

Whatever parts of the DCAU you might've missed
I liked the Titans live action show
Christopher Reeves Superman 1 and 2
Keaton Batman and Returns
Batman Under the Red Hood
Justice League Gods and Monsters
Batman '66

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Skwirl posted:

Batman '66

This plus:

Doom Patrol
Flash 1990

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Toshimo posted:

Flash 1990
For some reason as a kid I was always SUPER excited that maybe this episode would have The Green Lantern show up.

I really loved that dumb muscly flash costume though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nanigans posted:

Brent Spiner should be a voice actor in more things.

I remember a lot of people hating that iteration of Joker, but I was indifferent to okay about it. It's obviously inspired by the most recent depiction of Joker in TDK.

I remember a lot of people really hated his version of the Joker.

In my head it made sense, since Joker was described as constantly re-inventing his personality. That's why he could be Boner Crime silver age Joker one day, or murderous kill-bot another day.

In my head-cannon, this Joker was the Joker with the personality of an edgy teenager who was trying to be the Joker in a RPG. The Joker being a Joker-wannabe. It's performance comedy!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

For some reason as a kid I was always SUPER excited that maybe this episode would have The Green Lantern show up.

I really loved that dumb muscly flash costume though.

The new show has yet to make a costume as good as the 90s one.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

AlternateNu posted:

The Harley Quinn cartoon was actually quite good. I recommend it if you're looking for a comedy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skwirl posted:

Batman '66

I've seen all of these outside the live action Titans show. Thanks, though.

Toshimo posted:

This plus:

Doom Patrol
Flash 1990

lol. I didn't even see the 90's Flash series listed. That's amazing.

Hypocrisy posted:

The Harley Quinn cartoon was actually quite good. I recommend it if you're looking for a comedy.

>_> Maaaaaaaybe

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Are the animated batman 66 movies on there? Those are pretty loving awesome IMO. Especially since the two face one is Adam West's last role.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Yeah Harley Quinn was funny and entertaining.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Harley Quinn was basically like an off-brand Venture Brothers, and while that's something of a point in its favour, it's also reminding me that I miss that show :smith:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Does the DC streaming app have the DCAU animated movies? I wouldn't mind watching Mask of the Phantasm and Sub Zero again.

Oh, and Return of the Joker, too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nanigans posted:

Does the DC streaming app have the DCAU animated movies? I wouldn't mind watching Mask of the Phantasm and Sub Zero again.

I think they have pretty much everything except maybe the most recent seasons of various CW shows

also as a general thing justwatch.com is great if you're wondering about what streams where.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/batman-mask-of-the-phantasm

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Skwirl posted:

I think they have pretty much everything except maybe the most recent seasons of various CW shows

also as a general thing justwatch.com is great if you're wondering about what streams where.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/batman-mask-of-the-phantasm

Thanks!

Maybe I'll give the 7 day trial a go and watch some of my old favorites.

It's just so hard justifying DC Universe when HBO Max is supposed to have a bunch of the old DCAU stuff, right?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Fuego Fish posted:

Harley Quinn was basically like an off-brand Venture Brothers, and while that's something of a point in its favour, it's also reminding me that I miss that show :smith:

Don't worry, i'm sure we'll get new episodes. Within the next 3 years. Like five or so episodes before the rest of the season comes out a year or two later.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Thanks!

Maybe I'll give the 7 day trial a go and watch some of my old favorites.

It's just so hard justifying DC Universe when HBO Max is supposed to have a bunch of the old DCAU stuff, right?

What's your icon from? I love the animation.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Excellent animation in that movie.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ThermoPhysical posted:

What's your icon from? I love the animation.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Excellent animation in that movie.

Yup. Basically the entire movie is what is called "sakuga" in anime. Sakuga are the really fluid sequences of animation that are usually reserved for like ten seconds or so in a 22 minute episode. The Broly movie is easily the single best animated Dragon Ball thing ever, and the movie itself is really fun and has a few new really endearing characters. Definitely give it a watch.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/yost/status/1250435023829749767

The basic gist was that Doom would use Purple Man to become the emperor of the world, instead of Purple Man controlling Tony Stark.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MorningMoon posted:

https://twitter.com/yost/status/1250435023829749767

The basic gist was that Doom would use Purple Man to become the emperor of the world, instead of Purple Man controlling Tony Stark.

I really with that series had kept going. Lots more Avengers stories to tell but also decades worth of stories from the individual heroes' comics as well. Like how they did a version of the Technovore issues from Iron Man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really enjoyed that show. No other series had to potential to eventually adapt the Crossing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

I really with that series had kept going. Lots more Avengers stories to tell but also decades worth of stories from the individual heroes' comics as well. Like how they did a version of the Technovore issues from Iron Man.

Jeph Loeb laughs at you wanting story arcs. KIDS DO NOT UNDERSTAND THINGS THEIR TINY MINDS ARE TOO FRAGILE. Or whatever he said.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

Jeph Loeb laughs at you wanting story arcs. KIDS DO NOT UNDERSTAND THINGS THEIR TINY MINDS ARE TOO FRAGILE. Or whatever he said.

I wonder if he ever actually thought that or if it was just cover for other reasons. It is easier to write and broadcast disconnected, stand-alone episodes and that also perhaps means lower costs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
More disconnected episodes means the Captain America SubArctic SuperLuge Armor with Voice Activated SuperSled gets made!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I wonder if he ever actually thought that or if it was just cover for other reasons. It is easier to write and broadcast disconnected, stand-alone episodes and that also perhaps means lower costs.

I think those "other reasons" are that it's easier to let them advertise MCU stuff. Like, just googling some episode info, they did a season about Ultron not long after Avengers Age of Ultron came out, and they did the same thing with Black Panther. Apparently they did Thanos back in the second season but you know if they hadn't they'd have done another season for Infinity War/Endgame cross-promotion.

If I were to be really cynical/were to baselessly speculate, I would say that EMH had stuff like some episodes featuring Wolverine and a season premiere with the Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom, and I imagine some Marvel exec was like "what the hell are we featuring these characters for? We don't even have movie rights for them!" or "Ms. Marvel isn't in the movies/isn't coming until Phase [whatever we're on I can't keep track]! We need to be pushing Falcon more right now!"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 16, 2020

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Android Blues posted:

Young Justice S1 is one of the best superhero shows ever. A tight, well developed core cast telling a complex story that's funny and moving. S2 is kind of a mess - loose, unfocused, tries to do character drama but has too many characters to really make it work.

This. I'm surprised to see so many people be down on it. That first season of YJ had some really good stuff. I liked when the team had like built up a bunch of individual secrets between them and the climax turned out to be the team just confessing these things to each other and talking it out. No forced drama. No betrayal of trust stories. They talked about their poo poo and worked through it. Nice change of pace.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Season 1 of Young Justice is fine.

It's season 2 where there's a big time skip and a dozen new characters that I really didn't like.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Season 1 of Young Justice is fine.

It's season 2 where there's a big time skip and a dozen new characters that I really didn't like.

The issue is season 1 ends in a loving cliff hanger that isn't really addressed after the timeskip.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Doesn't every season of Young Justice do that?

Oh hey DARKSIDE now has control of WAR WORLD so APOCALYPSE will be unstoppable, how will Greg write himself out of this corner... I know, TIMESKIP!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Weisman tried (and failed) to explain away the timeskip and other crap in the horrible tie-in video game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The only thing that kind of stands out as bad - or more precisely irritating - in are the Light doing the just as planned shtick to kind of a silly degree (even as it's Weisman's thing, I know) and trying to make Sportsmaster happen. It was fine, though. Season two had the issue of adding new characters which is also fine but the spotlight episodes felt to me like they were just kind of intrusive. Oh, there's Cassie Sandsmark! I guess we'll see you down the road maybe. And then season three did focus on a group of characters but the new Outsiders were just kinda weak for my money.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The constant catch phrases in season 1 were really...whelming.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think my problem with YJ season three is that there's a lot going on and they focused most of the season on the least interesting part of it.

Look at all the teams in play: There's the official Justice League hampered by Luthor's meddling but still trying to do good, there's Batman's team of ex-Leaguers waging a covert war against the Light, there's Wonder Woman's' team of heavy hitters waging a war against Darkseid in space, there's Robin's team of young street level heroes trying to deal with Batman's rogue's gallery while he's busy elsewhere, there's the official Young Justice team (I know, I know, they just call themselves "The Team" for some dumb reason, but that's really hard to use in this context among so many other teams) led by Miss Martian who may or may not still be the official covert action group for the League or may just be young auxiliaries now that their existence is more widely known, the Suicide Squad is just getting started, and we get.....the Outsiders, mostly focused on Brion pouting about stuff and Violet's identity issues. :sigh:

I can't help but feel that watching any of the other teams as the primary focus of the season would have been more interesting than the one we got.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

jng2058 posted:

I think my problem with YJ season three is that there's a lot going on and they focused most of the season on the least interesting part of it.

Look at all the teams in play: There's the official Justice League hampered by Luthor's meddling but still trying to do good, there's Batman's team of ex-Leaguers waging a covert war against the Light, there's Wonder Woman's' team of heavy hitters waging a war against Darkseid in space, there's Robin's team of young street level heroes trying to deal with Batman's rogue's gallery while he's busy elsewhere, there's the official Young Justice team (I know, I know, they just call themselves "The Team" for some dumb reason, but that's really hard to use in this context among so many other teams) led by Miss Martian who may or may not still be the official covert action group for the League or may just be young auxiliaries now that their existence is more widely known, the Suicide Squad is just getting started, and we get.....the Outsiders, mostly focused on Brion pouting about stuff and Violet's identity issues. :sigh:

I can't help but feel that watching any of the other teams as the primary focus of the season would have been more interesting than the one we got.

Is it worth finishing? I think I tapped out halfway through.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is it worth finishing? I think I tapped out halfway through.

I'd recommend it but I liked Forager, Violet, Hot Lava, and even Cyborg.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dawgstar posted:

The only thing that kind of stands out as bad - or more precisely irritating - in are the Light doing the just as planned shtick to kind of a silly degree (even as it's Weisman's thing, I know) and trying to make Sportsmaster happen.

Hey, now. I think they did a pretty awesome job with a joke badguy from the Golden Age. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AlternateNu posted:

Hey, now. I think they did a pretty awesome job with a joke badguy from the Golden Age. :colbert:

They should try that next with Bullseye the Clown