Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

site posted:

Lol at rogue and magneto's 6hr gently caress sesion in the holodeck

It took me like a day to realise it might just be Maddie loving with him. Or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If this show sticks around to get into Hope Summers stuff, it's going to be interesting to see how the new Bishop/Cable dynamic works out

Although looking back it's weird how being raised by a highly religious sisterhood somehow turned Nathan into a slightly less murderous, considerably more blinged out Punisher

Then again Frank is Catholic, so

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

OnimaruXLR posted:

If this show sticks around to get into Hope Summers stuff, it's going to be interesting to see how the new Bishop/Cable dynamic works out

Although looking back it's weird how being raised by a highly religious sisterhood somehow turned Nathan into a slightly less murderous, considerably more blinged out Punisher

Then again Frank is Catholic, so

Don't know, I'd understand if they self-limited to working from stories made before the old series, but it does seem like they mean to do stuff with Emma given she's in the intro.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BizarroAzrael posted:

Don't know, I'd understand if they self-limited to working from stories made before the old series, but it does seem like they mean to do stuff with Emma given she's in the intro.

White Queen was not actually in the original intro.

No clue who pink guy was

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 28, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe Cable also made an appearance in the original series but they weren’t explicit about his connection to Scott and Jean

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Weird that they put Thunderbird in there to bulk out the villain side. I don't remember him ever showing up in the show.

Larryb posted:

I believe Cable also made an appearance in the original series but they weren’t explicit about his connection to Scott and Jean

I believe that his origin ended up getting written after the cartoon had already been in production. He was kinda bouncing around between potential origins for a long while before they nailed him down to something.

That's an intersting part about a lot of alternate media incarnations, sometimes they aren't purposefully choosing to be different, the comics just went a different direction later on.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 28, 2024

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

MonsterEnvy posted:

White Queen was not actually in the original intro.

No clue who pink guy was

The pink guy was no one. They just drew up a guy and slapped him in to fill out the villain side.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

SlothfulCobra posted:

Weird that they put Thunderbird in there to bulk out the villain side. I don't remember him ever showing up in the show.

He was going to be in Morph's role and get killed in the first episode, but they decided killing the only Native American character was not great. The character design showed up in the background a few times in the first season though. Apparently they were really rushed and not rolling in cash while making the opening so he ended up there as did the little pink guy, who is not even a character.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Larryb posted:

You mean the Wild Man of Borneo?

He also comes back much later to fight Apocalypse and is part of that weird story where everyone gathers in weird glass-floors heaven and heaven's janitor saves the day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Please tell me that harmonica sting still plays whenever Bishop is on screen. I can still hear it and the Gambit violin so clearly in my memory.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Larryb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylxWmuphQqg

Near as I can recall, he and Bishop both come back in time to try and stop some virus. They are fighting over how best to fix the past/change the future.

Also I remember distinctly at some point, maybe even this same episode/arc, he's looking at a roster of X-Men and tells his future computer to skip Jean and Scott cuz he knows them, and also Jean reads his mind at one point and is like OH poo poo.

God, Cable had one of the best voices in TAS. In fact, I'm just gonna list, from memory, the best voices in TAS:
1. Apocalypse (duh)
2. Wolverine
3. Sinister
4. Cable
5. Sabretooth
6. Beast

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 29, 2024

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I finally realized who Magneto reminds me of.

He's Mok.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

PicklePants posted:

The pink guy was no one. They just drew up a guy and slapped him in to fill out the villain side.

Yeah.

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-animated-series-mystery-villain/

Comic Book Resources posted:

But the weirdest question asked about the titles concerns the little green man with the big bald head. Who is he? Fan sites have hazarded guesses. I thought I just didn’t know the books well enough. But Larry [Houston – the designer of the credits] recently told me (after a fan asked) that the bald guy was a mistake by AKOM (the animation studio) that they wouldn’t fix. He isn’t anybody! Who he may have been meant to be has long been forgotten. He’s just another example of a flaw caused by lack of time and money, but one that seems to have been forgiven by the fans.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

NikkolasKing posted:

God, Cable had one of the best voices in TAS. In fact, I'm just gonna list, from memory, the best voices in TAS:
1. Apocalypse (duh)
2. Wolverine
3. Sinister
4. Cable
5. Sabretooth
6. Beast

This is Storm erasure.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The episode where Storm's godson is stuck in the astral plane and trying to get out of the wacky noneuclidian space as her voice just echoes again and again that he has to escape the astral plane before the rift reseals itself is seared into my mind.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

The episode where Storm's godson is stuck in the astral plane and trying to get out of the wacky noneuclidian space as her voice just echoes again and again that he has to escape the astral plane before the rift reseals itself is seared into my mind.

That’s the one where Black Panther shows up hiding behind a rock and nobody acknowledges him or gives any way for anyone watching the show to have any idea who he is.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Having long had a soft spot for Maddie, there's something quite nice about seeing newbies go mental for her on Twitter et al following this week's ep.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sentinel Red posted:

Having long had a soft spot for Maddie, there's something quite nice about seeing newbies go mental for her on Twitter et al following this week's ep.

The Krakoa era did a good job pseudo redeeming her, though that same arc did my boy Ben Reilly super dirty.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TheThirst posted:

He was going to be in Morph's role and get killed in the first episode, but they decided killing the only Native American character was not great. The character design showed up in the background a few times in the first season though. Apparently they were really rushed and not rolling in cash while making the opening so he ended up there as did the little pink guy, who is not even a character.

This. And the Thunderbird in the intro was going to be his younger brother wanting to get revenge on the X-Men.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's weird that we have a clone of Peter Parker and a clone of a strong redheaded woman who both share the circumstances of being cloned by evil super scientists in an elaborate scheme to supplant their genetic progenitor that ultimately resulted in a baby that was lost to the annals of history, but she's going out with Havok instead

I'm not saying clones oughta date clones but what does Alex have that Ben doesn't??? Especially lately. His stock's hit an all time low with that M-word tirade and things haven't really improved for him since

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well, I think he's some sort of weird zombie now so that's something

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I AM GRANDO posted:

That’s the one where Black Panther shows up hiding behind a rock and nobody acknowledges him or gives any way for anyone watching the show to have any idea who he is.

The reason that happened is because he's one of several characters who they snuck in cameos of by not naming them in the script and then having the animators stick them in and by the finished episode came back it would be too late to take them out, they also did it with Doctor Strange and Thor among others

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

In fact, I'm just gonna list, from memory, the best voices in TAS:
1. Apocalypse (duh)

"I am the rocks of the eternal shore. Crash against me and be broken," was a hell of a line. It blew my 8 year old mind back in the day.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The whole Goblin Queen thing in the comics sucked rear end. Total dogshit. Leading up to it, there were a lot of really weird and bad writing decisions, but tying them all together with a goofy crossover event like what would become the trend for modern comics really intensified everything because instead of one storyline that doesn't really make any sense, it's four.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Her naming herself The Goblin Queen right off the bat makes zero sense in this case.
Goblin Queen? What goblins, I don’t see any goblins. It just makes her sound likes she’s a big fan of the movie Labyrinth or something.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think it's pretty awesome, it's both metal and anime, and sure maybe some Jim Henson too! Why not.

Man that third episode, just watched it, incredible stuff! I am pleased with this show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

The reason that happened is because he's one of several characters who they snuck in cameos of by not naming them in the script and then having the animators stick them in and by the finished episode came back it would be too late to take them out, they also did it with Doctor Strange and Thor among others

I respect it. I remember Spiderman’s hand showing up for two seconds as part of a montage as well.

Was Captain America exempt from cameo rules? I remember him teaming up with Wolverine and also being in many Spiderman episodes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOK_cjluQ30

I have no idea who this guy is but it is something that sticks out to me a lot looking back at the love triangle. Jean was always like "I love Scott...but...." She never just told Wolverine no, knock it off, it ain't ever gonna happen. This is no excuse for Wolverine's behavior, of course, but it's all bad from everyone.

It seems to me like a lot of X-fans online just absolutely hate he whole thing and feel that it makes everyone look worse. I can definitely see that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean it was provably solved by them all just getting into a polycule together.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

I respect it. I remember Spiderman’s hand showing up for two seconds as part of a montage as well.

Was Captain America exempt from cameo rules? I remember him teaming up with Wolverine and also being in many Spiderman episodes.

From what I recall Captain America having that flashback team up with Logan was meant to be a backdoor pilot for a Captain America series set during WW2 that never got made, much like Ghost Rider showing up in the last episode of the Fantastic Four cartoon to chump Galactus was meant to tease for a Ghost Rider cartoon that also never happened(but got far enough in development that a toyline had been made and would get released anyways)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Cap stuff in Spider-Man was also interesting in that it led to them deciding to make Black Cat in that show a product of recreating the super soldier serum (and also able to do a She-Ra transformation where she got the white hair and abs)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not only that, they made Felicia a fairly major character in the 90’s Spider-Man series long before they turned her into Black Cat (it was also one of Jennifer Hale’s first voice roles to boot)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

The Cap stuff in Spider-Man was also interesting in that it led to them deciding to make Black Cat in that show a product of recreating the super soldier serum (and also able to do a She-Ra transformation where she got the white hair and abs)

That show basically burrowed that (wrong) fact into my head to the point that still almost every time I read a comic featuring Black Cat I have to remind myself like every time I see her in a jam "no, she isn't a super-soldier, she just has bad luck powers (sometimes)"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Frankly, all Marvel adaptations should have "super serum that makes women get cool white hair and abs at will"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

TwoPair posted:

That show basically burrowed that (wrong) fact into my head to the point that still almost every time I read a comic featuring Black Cat I have to remind myself like every time I see her in a jam "no, she isn't a super-soldier, she just has bad luck powers (sometimes)"

drat me too now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

They should retcon that, her cartoon origin is much cooler

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

From what I recall Captain America having that flashback team up with Logan was meant to be a backdoor pilot for a Captain America series set during WW2 that never got made, much like Ghost Rider showing up in the last episode of the Fantastic Four cartoon to chump Galactus was meant to tease for a Ghost Rider cartoon that also never happened(but got far enough in development that a toyline had been made and would get released anyways)

Eh, I dunno. I think it's more likely because there was an X-Men comic with that premise and it's in the sweet spot for what the show was adapting. Plus it had that iconic Jim Lee cover.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

Not a super-soldier but she has had (often has?) enhanced physical abilities.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Eh, I dunno. I think it's more likely because there was an X-Men comic with that premise and it's in the sweet spot for what the show was adapting. Plus it had that iconic Jim Lee cover.

Them developing but never completing a Captain America cartoon in the 90's is a known thing, still have lying around somewhere one of those official "History of Marvel Comics" books(of which they made a bunch of during the 90's and early aughts, like I've read at least 3 of them) that directly mentions that one and even showed a piece or two of production art for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it was provably solved by them all just getting into a polycule together.

Hell yeah, Krakoa era rocked.