Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Really all three of the big mainframe shows of the nineties, beast wars, reboot and war planets were good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I somehow have never heard of War Planets/Shadow Raiders until now. What networks even carried that show in the US? I remember being disappointed when Beast Wars became Beast Machines, and I remember wishing Reboot had continued (and then it did when Toonami briefly brought it back?) I feel like I would have been down to watch another show from those guys if I had heard about it. And Cartoon Network sure as poo poo never showed it during the many years I watched.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Monaghan posted:

A lot of the "classic "kid shows, especially from the eighties don't really hold up. GI Joe, transformers turtles, aren't that great.

However, I will say to the day I die that Beast Wars loving owned, especially the last two seasons. Even with the outdated CGI :colbert:.

My main memory of Beast Wars is the fact that it was in one of those garbage timeslots earlier in the morning than I could normally wake up for, so I barely ever got to see it. Great toys though.

I do have very fond memories of Reboot though, and I think it mostly still holds together. I'm not sure if the CGI is even fine by contemporary standards, considering how Mainframe was working with TV-budget equipment, but they really made it work stylistically.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not only was Beast Machines a bad show, they apparently planned to follow it up with a third show where everyone is classic vehicle transformers and cybertron isn't a deserted post-apocalyptic wasteland, but then beast machines got canned and the third show was never made. Which makes you wonder why they didn't just do that in the first place. You can't have a bunch of people finally come home after seasons of exiles on a planet devoid of all sentient life only to have home turn out to be also devoid of all sentient life and expect the audience to stay interested.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't into Transformers either when I was little. I remember trying Beast Wars but finding it hard to follow the plot because I missed too many episodes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Not only was Beast Machines a bad show, they apparently planned to follow it up with a third show where everyone is classic vehicle transformers and cybertron isn't a deserted post-apocalyptic wasteland, but then beast machines got canned and the third show was never made. Which makes you wonder why they didn't just do that in the first place. You can't have a bunch of people finally come home after seasons of exiles on a planet devoid of all sentient life only to have home turn out to be also devoid of all sentient life and expect the audience to stay interested.

Beast Machines was such a damned disappointment. Beast Wars was one of my favorite shows at the time so Machines kind of hurt. I didn't know that there was a planned third series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Beast Machines was such a damned disappointment. Beast Wars was one of my favorite shows at the time so Machines kind of hurt. I didn't know that there was a planned third series.

Well, there was for sure a planned toyline, called TransTech, which as stated would've been back to the traditional vehicle forms. It was very ambitious from a toy-design perspective, and I'm not sure the cartoon got very far beyond loose design sketches.

War Planets/Shadow Raiders (the non-war title for this one is better, really) was pretty great though. A lot of the series is about politics, honestly, but in a way where kids can understand it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The CGI cartoon that I have the most fond memories of is the Starship Troopers show. Haven't seen it in years, no idea how it holds up theses days.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Apparently there have been TWO Starship Troopers CGI movies in recent years. I wish this rock I lived under were at least comfortable. I only just this year learned about the 80's Starship Trooper anime.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Roughnecks. It was on Sky One in the morning before I went to school.

Does anyone remember the CGI tv adaptation of Heavy Gear? I remember enjoying that one while it lasted.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone remember the CGI tv adaptation of Heavy Gear? I remember enjoying that one while it lasted.

People the Heavy Gear tabletop game fandom really, really hated that show.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The rock planet lady was hot and I remember an episode where the fire planet adviser went nuts and killed himself by feeding the fire planet to the beast planet except the fire planet was primed to blow the gently caress up

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Shadow raiders was loving crazy town badass.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Lurdiak posted:

Not only was Beast Machines a bad show, they apparently planned to follow it up with a third show where everyone is classic vehicle transformers and cybertron isn't a deserted post-apocalyptic wasteland, but then beast machines got canned and the third show was never made.

Beast Machines didn't get canned. The show was planned from the start to be 2 seasons. Fan backlash from it was probably one of the biggest contributors to Transtech being cancelled.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Re: Sailor Moon - the old anime is a lot more of the monster of the week sentai kinda thing, the source material was hosed up though. The new printings have some of the authors notes in it and she intended to have some of the main cast dead forever at that first arc's end, one was to be a cyborg in disguise, and basically all of her editors stopped this until the final arc, which I lovingly refer to as Death March To The Center Of The Universe.

Both anime are pretty good though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Calaveron posted:

The rock planet lady was hot and I remember an episode where the fire planet adviser went nuts and killed himself by feeding the fire planet to the beast planet except the fire planet was primed to blow the gently caress up

He rammed the Fire Planet into the Beast in hopes of destroying it, that's how crazy it was. It didn't even dent it, but still.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What was the lame rear end knock off transformers where they didn't turn into planes or cars or dinosaurs, but instead turned into regular loving rocks?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toshimo posted:

What was the lame rear end knock off transformers where they didn't turn into planes or cars or dinosaurs, but instead turned into regular loving rocks?

Rock Lords, and they were so lame they didn't even have their own cartoon show, they just guested on the GoBots.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

I somehow have never heard of War Planets/Shadow Raiders until now. What networks even carried that show in the US? I remember being disappointed when Beast Wars became Beast Machines, and I remember wishing Reboot had continued (and then it did when Toonami briefly brought it back?) I feel like I would have been down to watch another show from those guys if I had heard about it. And Cartoon Network sure as poo poo never showed it during the many years I watched.

I know a reboot of Reboot (heh) was announced a while back but I think it totally fell apart in the last year

edit: okay nevermind, Wikipedia says it's still happening next year but it's gonna be some weird live-action hybrid so I guess Reboot + Digimon season 2 + lovely child actors.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Toshimo posted:

"Hmm, all this transforming poo poo is so popular. How do I get in on it?"
"Dad, what's this? Mom said it was your 'pet rock' but she's joking right?"
"Oh my god, that's the answer! I never wanted to get into writing insipid children's cartoons in the first place!"
*grabs the Pet Rock and starts bashing his own head, soon driving the rock deep into his brain*

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, Shadow Raiders was the darkest loving kids cartoon on the 90's. It starts with a planetary genocide.

Exo Squad

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Exo Squad was one of those things that deserved to be way bigger than it was. The toys were dope as gently caress, and the show was better than average, at least from my memory of it. But seriously though, I had 3 toys from that show, 2 exo suits and one double seat mech, and those were easily some of my favorite action figure toys growing up outside of GI Joes. They looked great, all had projectile weapons, and had decent articulation, which is amazing for anything robot-esque. And they came with pilots that basically had GI Joe levels of articulation as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I know a reboot of Reboot (heh) was announced a while back but I think it totally fell apart in the last year

edit: okay nevermind, Wikipedia says it's still happening next year but it's gonna be some weird live-action hybrid so I guess Reboot + Digimon season 2 + lovely child actors.

Nah, they have claimed to be working on more Reboot for years and years and years and literally nothing ever comes of it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I really liked Beast Machines. I thought it was cool and had a great arc plot.
HOWEVER I came into it having only watched one or two episodes of Beast Wars. I think as it's own show it's fine.
But as seasons 4 and 5 of Beast Wars it's not good.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

As for Go-Bots, didn't it technically come out before Transformers?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Beast machines was where they killed like half the characters from Wars and went back to a dead Cybertron and morphed into like half animal half vehicle forms and optimus became some weird pacifist monk for a while right?

That show sucked

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There must have been one hell of a twist coming for Transtech to explain them all turning into cars and planes again. Beast Machines ended with Cybertron being reformatted to be completely technorganic like the Maximals were. They even had a sentient plant lady on the team who transformed into a slightly different sentient plant lady.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

site posted:

Beast machines was where they killed like half the characters from Wars and went back to a dead Cybertron and morphed into like half animal half vehicle forms and optimus became some weird pacifist monk for a while right?

That show sucked

Something that bugged me about Beast Machines was how the designs didn't actually transform. They just kind of magically changed from beast to machine.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

WPIX is home to so many weird nostalgic memories like this. Their early morning programming and weekend programming was the poo poo. WWOR (eventually UPN) is sorta like that too. They had poo poo like King Arthur and the Knights of Justice and The Adventures of T-Rex, IIRC. I want to say they also aired Swat Cats and 2 Stupid Dogs at a time when I didn't have cable (were those CN shows originally? I always found it odd that they just sorta of popped up on Sunday mornings out of no where, buried on UPN.) Also Exo Squad and Battle Tech, but I forget which of the two networks had those.
Word. WPIX, WWOR, and WLNY were all these weird classic TV stations. There's sort of a reassurance of these sort of channels now, but WPIX also was really good at building up their movie library. It's a shame because at any given time they can just throw up a Godzilla marathon like they did back in the day, but alas.

Mighty Max is probably the weirdest and underrated show that aired on WWOR, I think.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There is a Facebook page dedicated to oldschool WPIX and they usually post clips of old network bumpers and commercials from various time periods.

I actually have a VHS recording of a WPIX 3 Stooges marathon, complete with commercials, from the late 80s and it is honestly one of my prized possessions.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toshimo posted:

I don't get it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ToastyPotato posted:

There is a Facebook page dedicated to oldschool WPIX and they usually post clips of old network bumpers and commercials from various time periods.

I actually have a VHS recording of a WPIX 3 Stooges marathon, complete with commercials, from the late 80s and it is honestly one of my prized possessions.

please upload it to YouTube. I would enjoy watching that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best 80s toy commercials need to rap the disclaimers at the end.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

please upload it to YouTube. I would enjoy watching that.

I would probably need a capture card to hook up a working VCR to. I definitely want to digitize it because I am terrified of something happening to the tape. I wish we had kept the various Saturday Morning cartoon tapes we had. Those also had commercials on them. We mostly recorded ABC stuff, but we had at least one NBC and one CBS tape. We also had the special primetime premiere of Captain N. All gone. :smith:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

site posted:

That show sucked

They also made Raptrap totally useless in battle so all he could do was run and hide and turned Rhinox into a villain.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Beast Wars was a fantastic cartoon with some really great characters and plots and episodes (gotdamn Dinobot's death) but it was also very silly with Waspinator and the one episode that ended with Rhinox defeating the Decepticons with an energon powered super fart and Rattrap having luscious metal buttocks

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

JT Smiley posted:

They also made Raptrap totally useless in battle so all he could do was run and hide and turned Rhinox into a villain.

Not only did they turn Rhinox into a villain. They turned him into a mentally retarded brute who ended up staying a villain after the Maximals successfully rescued him.

The one cool part of Beast Machines was when Primal was able to piss Megatron off so much, he lost his connection to Cybertron and devolved back to his dragon form.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Calaveron posted:

Beast Wars was a fantastic cartoon with some really great characters and plots and episodes (gotdamn Dinobot's death) but it was also very silly with Waspinator and the one episode that ended with Rhinox defeating the Decepticons with an energon powered super fart and Rattrap having luscious metal buttocks

Stuff like Rhinox fart win was only really in the early first season.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlternateNu posted:

Not only did they turn Rhinox into a villain. They turned him into a mentally retarded brute who ended up staying a villain after the Maximals successfully rescued him.

The one cool part of Beast Machines was when Primal was able to piss Megatron off so much, he lost his connection to Cybertron and devolved back to his dragon form.

To be fair on that Rhinox villain thing. After they reverted Vehicon forms mind back to normal he became an intelligent villain. Rather then the near mindless brute he was before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Question IRL posted:

As for Go-Bots, didn't it technically come out before Transformers?

Yep. Gobots in 1983, Transformers in 1984.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 1, 2017