Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm just glad that people on the internet are finally being vocal about the bad habits of comic book and comic book-related products. Surely definite, positive change will happen immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I can vouch for kids reading Smile, but I have never heard anybody younger than Internet Manchild talking about Steven Universe.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Unmature posted:

I 100% agree with this. Batman and Robin is stupid and over the top and ridiculous and so much fun.

Though I will do you one more and say that Batman Forever is a genuinely good, fun, incredibly watchable action movie.

I can't remember, what was the justification for Bruce Wayne adopting a fully grown legal man?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The sad part is a 7ish minute segment is better in literally every way than the full adaptation.

And from the worst TAS episode too

EDIT: Wait maybe I'm getting confused is that segment also from I've Got Batman in my Basement

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Roth posted:

I'm trying to figure out how you managed to mix that up.

Kids feature prominently in both episodes and it's been somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years since I've watched the series

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The first couple of minutes of Batman Beyond being an older Bruce getting a heart attack while fighting muggers, who take the opportunity to nearly beat him to death, and are only stopped by Batman pointing a gun at them sure set one hell of a tone for the rest of the series

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Which superhero has had the most adapted origin stories? Batman or Spider-Man?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Bats re-experiences it as a Scarecrow hallucination in Asylum, can press F to pay respects in City, and I'm sure it's in Origins and Knight somewhere.

I don't even want to know how many times it's been redone in the comics.

I'm fairly sure it also pops up near the end of Knight

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Kurui Reiten posted:

You'd think, at this point, some doctor or nurse or whatever from Arkham would have been like "gently caress it, I'll take the hit". Like, the Joker's body count is huge, not to even mention just the people he's maimed or harmed in other ways over the years. At this point, someone would probably have just decided to kill him in cold blood when he's locked up, and do the time.

Because then the Joker's boyfriend would immediately swoop in and be all like hh we can't be like him hhhhhh there's due process THAT MAKE THE WORLD MAKE SENSE GRUNT and give him mouth to mouth accompanied by a tender cardiac massage

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Isn't there an elseworld of Batman finding a green lantern ring and basically becoming super duper powerful because of his willpower and stuff

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It's sort of weird when you think about the fact that Batman has been shot at and hit by the police more often than the Joker has.

To be fair, Batman is way more dangerous than the Joker. I mean he has had countless opportunities to take the Joker down but he hasn't not to mention he's at least saved the Joker's life once

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Domus posted:

I just discovered batman: TAS is free with amazon prime. I was thrilled, until I started watching it. I swear it's a copy of a copy of a copy. Am I crazy? It seems like it's all blurry and muted. It's clearly off a VHS, as you can see goddamn tape skips occasionally. What the hell? Please tell me this isn't the only version that's survived. It may have been 25 years, but I know it was better than this when I first saw it.

There's perfectly fine DVD collections which I think should still be available. Well worth the investment

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It was the very first episode and the reason that season finale JLU "Epilogue" episode ended the way it did with the homage to the first few seconds of the Manbat episode, they didn't know if they were getting another season which they did

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Peter in the exact same outfit 90's the lizard wore minus labcoat

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I understand that Darkseid is voiced by Weird "Al" Yankovic so just from that it sounds incredible

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I demand my silly super heroes cartoons to have a rich tapestry that explains its rhyme and reason

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

TTG is like Always Sunny in Philadelphia but for children, it's great.

OK holy gently caress is ttg only available to cable subscribers or what

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Catching up on this Batman/Joker talk, I think the best story about them was the graphic novel "Devil's Advocate" where, for once, The Joker is declared competent to stand trial for a series of murders. He's convicted, and sentenced to die. The only problem is he didn't actually commit the particular crime he was arrested for. Batman is determined to find the real killer, but finds his reasoning questioned by Gordon and Robin, who thinks he should just let it go, and Oracle, who refuses to help him. Meanwhile, the Joker's fighting for the right to get his execution televised.

In the end, B & R find the real killer, and the Joker's life is spared by a call from the governor seconds before he is electrocuted. The book ends with the Joker back in Arkham, taunting Batman because despite this being the closest he came to dying, he's still here. To which Batman responds "Just remember, from this moment on, every minute of your life, you owe to me." And the leaves the Joker screaming in rage.

I just loved that every one wanted the Joker to suffer, and that Batman found that the best way to do it was to save his life.

Pretty short sighted of Batman when the next couple thousand people Joker kills are explicitly on him though

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man Aquaman's design in that Flashpoint Parabox movie is so gross

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Samuringa posted:

edit: I watched Flashpoint Paradox and War on the same day and felt like War was a palate cleanser, that's how dire Flashpoint is

I'm actually kinda enjoying it, at least for grumpier Batman
But man it sure has a whole lot of blood

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also holy moly no way would it take Flash, Shooty Batman and Cyborg attacking together to take down Aquaman

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

so all of the Origins shorts for Marvel's Spider-man got leaked or something.

The first five are pretty light hearted, Peter discovering his powers, deciding to wrestle (the wrestler is Bonesaw, like in the Raimi movies), and then the sixth one...

Peter talks about the trophy he won, points out it's made of "three different kinds of metal"

"You know what else is made of three different types of metal?"

so uh, this show'll probably be a bit more grown up than Ultimate Spider-man

I actually don't know what's made of three different kinds of metal

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
From

And you better not say gun or so help me

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Connect the dots. Bullet. Spider-Man. Origin.

I don't understand how it's a trophy

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I guess

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

That dude's pig voice just has to be everywhere huh

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I didn't know anything about his fiancee him and his voice are just on every netflix show ever and ughhhhhhhhh

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And honestly nothing against his humor or personality, the kfc famous plate bit is still pretty funny it's just his voice

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

the same way you do that and also be a costumed vigilante who is part of several teams that amount to what are essentially superhuman military forces.

And you still have enough time to raise and get killed at least three children

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Didn't the new tmnt nicktoon end with the apocalypse

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Did the newer tmnt have the Jack Kirby homage episode like a lot of tmnt media does?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The rock planet lady was hot and I remember an episode where the fire planet adviser went nuts and killed himself by feeding the fire planet to the beast planet except the fire planet was primed to blow the gently caress up

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Beast Wars was a fantastic cartoon with some really great characters and plots and episodes (gotdamn Dinobot's death) but it was also very silly with Waspinator and the one episode that ended with Rhinox defeating the Decepticons with an energon powered super fart and Rattrap having luscious metal buttocks

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I thought Tom Kenny was THE Plastic Man

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

What's a voice actor?

Nothing much, what's a voice actor with you

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like Goku became a literal God early on in Dragon Ball Super, but that wasn't strong enough so he became a SUPER god, and even then that fell down short pretty soon, so he then became TWO SUPER gods and that's pretty powerful, but sometimes he's stronger if he fights ON PURE INSTINCT alone (????) and boy I bet what comes after that starts lagging behind too

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Brad Garrett should do a lot of voice acting gigs because nobody talks like Brad Garrett

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Isn’t Teen Titans Go CN’s biggest show right now

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Never seen an episode but it has been described to me as It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia for children and how can that not be amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Does it count as being the "breakout character" if she was the most well-known character that anybody cared about going into the movie?

And the only reason for that was because she was the breakout character of a comic book based on her breakout character from a cartoon that is what, over 20 years old