Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Maybe they'll pull some stuff from slott's spider verse in the new series.

Having japanese spider man and leopardon show up would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I remember that they had dormmamu show up in the last season, with carnage working for him no less! They couldn't show him killing anyone, so he had the ability to drain people's "life force.

Unmature posted:

I still hear Greg Brady's Spider-Man voice in my head when I read comics.

Same. He did a good job though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think Bruce ending up unhappy is precisely wrong. Bruce being someone who can't be happy is a present theme throughout all of TAS. It isn't that he doesn't want to do good or help people or care but he, personally, is deeply unhappy and his need to be Batman can't stand with his own personal desire for happiness. The end result is someone who saved the world but couldn't actually be a person.

Yeah Bruce not being allowed to be happy is a big point of mask of the phantasm. He meets Andrea and starts feeling happy again. But he feels guilt because of the vow he made to his parents. It ends up with Bruce crying on their gravestones looking for a way to get out of his commitment and saying he didn't count on being happy.

I really love that scene. It's an interesting take on Batman waivering from his goal to stop crime.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

The obsession with having to start with the origin seems like a more recent thing. For some reason at the same time that comic superheroes became more prominent in pop culture, everybody became really self conscious about being some weird nerd thing that normal people might not be aware of.

I don't think they started with the origin even when Batman started out in the comics.

The movies may be getting the hint, what with the MCU completely skipping over Spidey's origin.

Also I'm pretty sure we didn't learn about the Batman's parent's and his origin until issue 33 of Detective comics.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I liking Batman and the Red hood, but it has the dumbest justification for batman not kiling the joker so it bugs me every time.

This was also the problem with the original comic.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I didn't mean the debate to explode like this, but I'll guess I'll just sum it up by saying I've always agreed with Chris Sim's take on why batman does not kill and I really don't like the storylines(like the red hood one) which suggests that batman doesn't kill because he could lose control or something, which makes no goddamn sense considering he's probably got the most willpower of any human being on the planet

Here's the article from Chris sims I was referring to. It's a good read.

http://comicsalliance.com/batman-kills/

Edit- also the joker shouldn't be alive because any cop or guard would just shoot him in the head and claim self defense and instantly get off. So the whole argument is sort of moot.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 1, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really should watch the spider man TAS from beginning to end. I remember weird poo poo like Dormmammu showing up and Smyth going from this guy with a mullet in a wheelchair to ... some white dude with like two appendages on his back that shot lasers?

Although I still hear the guy who played spidey's voice in my head whenever I read the comics. He did a great job despite the above mentioned overacting.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 18, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

A lot of the "classic "kid shows, especially from the eighties don't really hold up. GI Joe, transformers turtles, aren't that great.

However, I will say to the day I die that Beast Wars loving owned, especially the last two seasons. Even with the outdated CGI :colbert:.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Really all three of the big mainframe shows of the nineties, beast wars, reboot and war planets were good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Did the animation for avengers ever improve or did it look like rear end all the way to the end?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Everything I've heard and clips I've seen about ninja batman makes it look completely nuts. The bat cycle turns into a power armor for batman

I love it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like how they actually made wonder woman look like she's from the mediterranean and I love Zatanna's hair.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 22, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Some nerds are complaining that it looks too much like Steven Universe.

I loving love steven universe and legit think it's one of the best kid shows ever. I can only hope the new thundercats is that good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah it's not like Cartoons have followed what is popular..

https://mobile.twitter.com/Calavera145/status/998632492549791750

I'm fine with if you don't like the look, but I've seen way to many nerds calling the creator a soyboy or giving him poo poo for his hair.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

business hammocks posted:

The best thing about Thundercats was it produced that “MOTHER...FUCKER” .wav that endlessly delighted 17-year-old me.

Hey Thundercats also had one of the best character themes of all time :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E11XJ83tzjw

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

JLU Luthor had one of my favorite burns. It's with grod right before he gets blasted into space.

Lex: Goodbye, Grodd. It could have gone the other way.
Grodd: It really could have, couldn't it?
Lex Luthor: No. But why speak ill of the dead?

JLU was solid goddamn gold and season 2 is the best superhero tv season ever made.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 14, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

site posted:

im not entirely sure what the thought process is behind airing a kids movie at 10pm but okay

https://twitter.com/MarvelRisingSW/status/1039914033317535744

I really wish marvel cartoon would change their artstyle because it's just goddamn ugly to look at.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

cartoons123 posted:

Luke Pearson's Hilda is getting an animated series, and it's coming out tomorrow, and this intro looks really nice despite the unfortunate timing w/ Grimes:

https://twitter.com/thatlukeperson/status/1042860234572746753?s=21

My stepdaughter randomly started watching this on netflix and I was blown away by the art design/direction on this show. It's just great.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

site posted:

Marvel rising shoulda looked like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnlPpASTxpA

Jeans design is goddamn adorable in this

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am completely surprised by how much I'm enjoying Harley's new show. I thought it was going to be a pile of garbage when it was first announced.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blight owns if only for the exchange he has when he demands that Terry tell him who he is. Terry responds that he killed his father . Blight responds with:

Do you have the slightest idea how little that narrows it down?!

Blight is just a pure corporate scumbag through and through and it owns.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Invincible such a mixed bag because I think that their is some great character work and ideas in it, the over the top gore takes me out of it. Also don't include the stupid rape stuff again.

I do like how the JLA ripoffs actually gave more a fight though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really like how Clark has no clue about any particulars where he came from other then the fact that he's an alien.

Also it's sorta my bias, I like superman who doesn't have a super strong connection to krypton. I always found it weird how superman would go "Great rao" or poo poo like that. Why would clark adopt the theology of a culture/society he has had no interactions with?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

x men 97 and spider verse really cemented my belief that animation is the best venue to tell superhero stories. You can do so much more while not costing 300 million dollars.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I always have to give Stas some major credit for absolutely nailing the characterization of darkseid and luthor while simultaneously also getting the perfect actors to voice them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Speaking as a current lawyer I would love to be a lawyer in comic book world. I can only imagine the hosed up precedents there would be.