Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
As of season 4 Ultimate Spider-man is now a fairly okay action comedy cartoon, rather than family guy gags with a little action, wouldn't call it great but it's neat, specially compared to Avengers Assemble which regardless of what storylines it brings, be it Thunderbolts or Infinity, always manages to be aggressively mediocre. If you want your Spider-man & Miles and Agent Venom and Scarlet Spider and Amadeus Cho fix there's worse ways to spend twenty minutes.

Also yeah, TTG is a lot of fun, in a couple of weeks they're doing a whole week of Gilligan's Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Bruce Timm posted:

I mean, his 'parental skills' aren't that great. Maybe never having had any kids of his own, he doesn't realize that if you tell a kid to not do something, they’re going to want to do it even more.
:allears: Perfect choice words
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/bruce-timm-on-the-risky-batman-batgirl-sex-scene-in-the-killing-joke

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Supposed leak of JLD that was doing the rounds yesterday.

Finally, a Constantine and Batman sex scene

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I like TTGo's take on Batromance, it seems like he simply got together with Jim Gordon and started fighting crime less after what happened with Jason Todd. Makes sense, he keeps having control issues in everything so getting together with someone he values as an equal, or maybe even superior, and letting other heroes take care of more things so he has time with his SO lets him finally enjoy life and take care of his mental health.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It's amazing how every little thing someone says makes this sound and more tone deaf.

Bruce Timm posted:

I don't normally think about the Joker as being asexual or normal,
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/bruce-timm-weighs-implications-killing-jokes-sexualized-joker

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I hope Batman shows up in the Gilligan Island Arc of TTG so we can all discuss a good depiction of Batman until Justice League Action airs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Looked it up and saw a gif with the Hulk and... The Thing?! Are they actually letting the Fantastic Four appear on tv?

Also saw a preview of next week's with Ms Marvel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubKSV_5zVfQ

It's amazing how flat and boring Kamala of all people ends up, this show just sucks fun out of its ideas.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

A fifteen minute bad stand up act would've been dope.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Don't forget that the development team went on record saying that if the game was a success, then they would make another game as the fabled third season of the show.

And this was said at launch, trying so hard to wring out some cash from gullible kids. :allears:

Did the game actually tell the story or whatever? I've never seen a human speak about it beyond "wow this is a bad dumb diablo clone sorta, with sub-PS2 problems"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The ridiculous seven season plan probably had something to do as well.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Animation is stiff but I guess it kinda works for this, wish the style wasn't just Young Justice with slight tweaks. Still hype.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SRM posted:

Yeah, for once cheap animation could actually help them out here.

Well, they certainly did get cheap animation

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Why would someone go to Peter David for YJ anyway? didn't he just do a few scripts for the series?

deong posted:

Here is a better trailer for the adam west batman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r6a8bOahFQ

That animation looks so stiff, the style is so nothing. :smith:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They should give Young Justice a third season so this art style can just stay contained in that show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Makes me wonder, when was the 11-minute format first invented? Stuff from Nick's launch in '91 was in that format, like Rugrats, and they continues to pump out a lot, I want to say that's when the format caught on and the then current and upcoming animation channels started ordering stuff in that format.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Huh, I thought that was just Garfield 'N Friends

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dexie posted:

I know the newspaper strip is absolutely rubbish, but...was Garfield and Friends any good? I REMEMBER it being good, but nostalgia is a hell of a drug, and I don't think I want to go back and try rewatching the show to find out.

Tried watching the first episode on netflix last year and noooooooooooooo. I wanna think it got better after a season or two but I do not want to confirm that and murder my nostalgia.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Specifically, Ultimate Spider-man will be done in early January with a two parter called "Graduation Day" and then (probably on August or something after the movie comes out) we get Spider-man with Kevin Shinick as story editor.

Cautiously optimistic. Also USM did a round 2 at Spider-verse and that was fun, did a re-imagining of Spider-Gwen where she's from Miles' universe since he spent most of the season with Peter.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I really wonder if this is going to be like the "start" of a new animated universe like Ultimate was or if it'll be its own thing or if the Avengers Assemble are just going to pretend they have never, ever met Spider-man before in their lives.
The current animated universe is simply bad, there's nothing that makes it unique and their unified art style is trash, so I kinda hope this breaks from it and, just, something good comes out. I wanna see a Spider-man cartoon and fully enjoy it instead of going "well, that was neat, it was an acceptable action cartoon I cannot really talk about much online because who the gently caress else is going to give it a shot after two seasons of trash and one of being kinda okay in some episodes"
I'm guessing Man of Action won't be involved since they're handling the new Ben 10 cartoon.

Also Hulk: Where Monsters Dwell is a thing. Magic adventure with Doctor Strange, Hulk and Banner are separated and all that.

CBR posted:

Dan Slott, who is working on the series, was then brought up on stage. Lane and Wacker said the show will “pull a lot from Dan’s run” on Spider-Man.
:negative:

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 8, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

SMASH ended too right? The only hold overs to the old animated universe at this point would be GotG and Avengers, which I can see ending before Infinity War hits theaters. GotG is the only real problem, unless I am mistaken and it isn't part of the grouped shows.

They just announced season 4 and 2 of those (AA: Secret Wars) and apparently the Captain Marvel of AA (her hair is so HIDEOUS) shows up in season 2 of GotG, so that's connected.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

Maybe Secret Wars will be used as a way to transition into a new animated universe. But I am likely giving them way too much credit.

How dope would it be if they did a cross over with older cartoons though? They probably don't have the rights for that. :(

AA manages to be the blandest, nothing-est cartoon on their stable, to the point where Ms. Marvel showed up on screen heavily for a whole episode and it was still a yawn-fest, I don't doubt for a second that whatever happens won't be as interesting as it could be on paper.

They definitely don't got the rights, they would've done something with the Eight episodes dedicated to Spider-verse in USM if they wanted to. :( (at least Spider-Punk got a speaking role for that)

They're releasing the clips from the panel on their youtube, so i'm hammering F5 to see the new spidey cartoon, here's where monsters lie tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1pLFw2vi5E
..wow that hulk stuff was not as interesting looking as i hoped. How do they not have better-looking animation when they're under Disney??

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 9, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I basically don't like his Peter, his big storylines never stick the landing and i dislike how he baits fans in social media, but eh, he's not even close to the worst spidey writer and his current output is apparently really great so whatever.

Looks like no teaser on their youtube, now that I think about it, I was at a comic con some long time before Ultimate Spider-man started airing and it was pretty different (such as actual Ultimate Iron Man showing up and the colors being way higher in contrast) so it's probably a similar scenario where the footage shown is not yet final.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

SU does well with kids, they're just not coming onto SA and posting about it for obvious reasons.

Children don't buy SA accounts, is Lowtax out of touch? No, it is the children who are wrong.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I bet Slott's involvement will be as deep as Bendis' was. Some "consulting" here and there that doesn't have too much weight and a couple of episodes being guest written by him.

Bendis wrote six episodes total apparently, one based on the Wolverine mindswap storyline from the comics, some random episodes that aren't that interesting and two featuring the Guardians of the Galaxy before the movie came out and they were changed entirely.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

How many spiderpeople are there in this ultimate spiderman cartoon? I watched a few episodes and in each of them another one appeared.

Ultimate Spider-man, Iron Spider (Peter for an ep.), Iron Spider (Amadeus Cho), Spider-man/Kid Arachnid (Miles Morales), Venom (Peter for an ep.), Venom (Harry Osborn for an ep.), Agent Venom, Scarlet Spider (Kaine but named Ben Riley), Carnage (Just Symbiote goo taking over people), Anti-Venom (Harry Osborn for an ep.), Kaine (experiment goop thing that dies fast) and Carnage Queen/Spider-Woman (Mary Jane)

Plus 2 different 4-parters called Spider-verse and Return to the Spider-verse, in which we get Spider-man 2099, Noir, Spider-Woman (Petra Parker [also Joan J. Jameson]), Spider-Ham, Spider-Knight and some others probably and the second one has Spider-Noir again but also Blood-Spider (spider-man from a world that's being consumed by vampires), Web-Beard the Pirate, Web-Slinger the cowboy, Wolf-Spider (an evil Peter), Spider-Punk and Spider-Gwen.

Seasons 1 and 2 are very spiderpeople free, tho.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

... Huh. Amadeus Cho is a Spider-man in the cartoon?

Yup, most of season 4 has a main "Web Warriors" team so Amadeus gets to hang out with Peter and Flash (and Kaine and Miles) quite often even, works out better than you'd expect.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, Ultimate Spider-man is literally completely off the wall swarming with magic robots while this new one, according to their promo at least, is more realistic down-to-earth.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Roth posted:

Return of the Caped Crusaders is fantastic.

Best DC movie in years.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

http://www.cbr.com/young-justice-se...BR-TW&view=list

I'm booing at this, but i'm glad that the fanboys who wanted it are gonna be happy as hell.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

edit: blah, just posted some salt.

Green Lantern's never gonna get another season because it told a full story and the fans didn't send enough death threats to people. :smith:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I was a bit iffy of the artstyle, in promo art it just looked like DCAU-light, but it works really well in motion (Which I guess would be the benefit to doing a modernized Timm style) show looks pretty great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They aired in the UK and imo the pacing is pretty terrible. First one is the speed of a 22 min show crammed down to 11 and the third one lingers in its last act by staying in one scene for five and a half minutes, aka half the runtime. I felt really disappointed.
Space Cabby was alright.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Roth posted:

It's alright. I'll give it more time to really prove itself, since the first season of Justice League is honestly pretty bad compared to the second.

I'm at that, but more pessimistic. I'll check episodes with characters i'm super into but i'll mostly wait until the second half of the season before giving the show another proper try.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So, Ultimate Spider-man just has a two-parter left to finish its run. However, there's also the final Christmas special from that show, guess who'll make their animated debut in the episode called The Moon Knight Before Christmas.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Android Blues posted:

I mean, to be fair, Lagoon Boy is pretty insufferable. It chafes more because he gets so much screen time despite being both incredibly dull and actively difficult to like.

This is my exact opinion of Girl Martian.

And most of the cast.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Android Blues posted:

It's not really comparable. You might dislike those characters, but there's something to them. Miss Martian has a really elaborate story, personality, character beats, plot relevance, etc. That can land for you or not, but it's inarguably there. Lagoon Boy is just there, on the screen, repeating the same bit of shtick over and over again.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The "Hello Megan" thing was part of how M'gann had basically created a new identity that was artificial, it wasn't done for the sake of just "doing it". Likewise, they showed Lagoon Boy was insecure about who he was and overcompensated by being loud, on top of his anxiety about his relationship with her.

Exactly. M'gann has more going for her, but it's the exact same thing as Lagoon Boy. It doesn't land on me so I just see her as annoying and wish the show didn't focus so much on her and her crimes against humanity. She's nuanced and very elaborated, but also insufferable and dull.

On brighter news, episode 4 of JLA had the most boring climax that could ever be achieved in a team-up of Swamp Thing, zombie batman and zatanna but episodes 5 (Joker's kidnapped by Morlun or whatever) and 6 (Blue Beetle and Batman go to Batman TAS/Year 1 to beat up Chronos) were Good Enough and really fun to watch.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 12, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

They could have told that exact same story for Megan without overusing an annoying catchphrase, mostly because just about every writer in history who has followed that trope has done it. M'gann isn't the first character in fictional history to be a fish out of water needing to create a new identity to blend in with society. Hello Megan was a bad catchphrase in a show that had too many bad catchphrases. I really enjoyed the show, both seasons, but the catchphrases are my biggest gripe besides the time skip. The writers had a weird and wrong fixation with catchphrases and I hope to god they put that poo poo to rest for season 3.

"Yowza, yowza, bo-bowza!"
"Why do you say that, Todd?"
"Joker kept saying that repeating sounds doesn't make a punchline while he kept beating me with the crowbar, at that moment I told myself: i'll defy everything he does, everything, even his attempt at killing me. And I did, and will continue to do. Yowza, yowza, bo-bowza."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

Ended up being shown a bit of Justice League Action

It was weird. The first one, that starred Superman and Wonder Woman, was... worse than the worst episode of the original Teen Titans. Like it was bad like a bad episode of Ben 10. Bad like the DC DTV movies are. Really bad

The other one, though, was a perfectly enjoyable little space adventure with obscure DC weirdos and Patton Oswalt. Like an episode of Brave and the Bold starring Superman, and squashed into 11 minutes.

If these two chunks are representative of the show as a whole, it's gonna be about as mixed a bag as they come, good lordy

That first one is poo poo and thankfully nothing compares to it.

I'd say that second one is representative of the show, sometimes it gets the pacing better but sometime's it's that strange. Although I might be wrong since there's only six episodes so far and what lies ahead might be different.

2, 5 and 6 are fun and enjoyable to watch.
1 is poo poo, 3 is pretty bad and 4 has the most boring ending imaginable.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 13, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ultimate Spider-man ended today. All in all, the second half of the show became decent to good. The ending wasn't really too amazing, but it hit some nice notes and was conclusive as hell, which I think is a first in Spider-man animated history.

Tackling huger villains and stuff from much later in Spidey's life was interesting, but I'm ready to go back to a more street-level kinda adventures to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Dr. Octopus' arms always smashing into that same wall of crates, year after year.

This one time, inside of Fisk's huge office, the Kingpin punched Spider-man into that crate room, with Ock's huge evil machine glowing in the background.

I'd say the 90s one had it best compared to others, but there were plans for actually getting MJ and it still ends with Peter never actually reuniting with MJ, who at that point had missed over half the show.
Was it the original MJ or the Hydro Man/Warren Clone who had accidentally been put in the Baron Mordo Cult when trying to find her dad?