Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm watching through Batman Beyond with a couple of friends at the moment, who I also watched Justice League, Teen Titans, and Young Justice with.

I really like Beyond, but honestly, I still feel like Teen Titans is probably my favorite of them just because I love those characters so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I rather enjoyed Superman vs The Elite, Crisis on Two Earths, and Doom.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teen Titans Go sometimes get a chuckle out of me, but it's not enough for me to say I really like the series.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The post-Flashpoint movies without Damian in them are way better than the ones with him in it.

I like Damian, but I really dislike his portrayal in those movies, and I can't stand how any character development he gains seems to just get reset for the next one so he can learn the same lesson again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I actually hated Justice League vs Teen Titans the most out of all of them.

It shifted a story that should be about Raven to being about Damian, in order to teach him the same exact lesson yet again, while reducing Raven down to being a damsel and Damian's love interest.

I also had a ton of other issues with it, such as really disliking the voice acting (Raven sounds bored as hell for instance), Raven mocking her Mom for joining a cult followed by Beast Boy making a joke about her rape, the attempt to tease a romance between Damian and Raven falling flat because the voice actors make them sound like a bored teenage girl and her eight year old brother, Wonder Woman criticizing movies for having men rescue women all the time only for her to be rescued by Superman later in the movie and say "Just like in the movies."

Granted, I did like a few things. I liked the scene where Beast Boy is talking to Raven during training, morphs back and is naked. I liked the part where Jaime blasted Damian in the face, and the magical girl transformation. Overall though, I ended up really not enjoying myself with the movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like Batman having a series of romances that end up going nowhere makes sense for the character.

And his true love is clearly for Clark anyway.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I like TTGo's take on Batromance, it seems like he simply got together with Jim Gordon and started fighting crime less after what happened with Jason Todd. Makes sense, he keeps having control issues in everything so getting together with someone he values as an equal, or maybe even superior, and letting other heroes take care of more things so he has time with his SO lets him finally enjoy life and take care of his mental health.

I feel like that's really saying something that Teen Titans Go portrays a healthier relationship than The Killing Joke.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SonicRulez posted:

Is it though? The two have wildly different tones. Like inherently TTG is an optimistic program, so it makes sense that it would have a healthy relationship while The Killing Joke would have a shitshow.

I wouldn't really call TTG optimistic. It's comedic, but more in an Always Sunny sorta way where all the characters are horrible people.

But I find it funny more for the fact that a running gag in a really low-brow comedy series is a better relationship than a movie written for "mature" audiences and features that relationship as part of the plot.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched it last night with some friends.

I don't understand how anybody thought the first half hour was a good idea, and it only makes what happens to Barbara even more gross.

The rest of it felt like a really weak adaptation, speaking as someone who likes The Killing Joke despite hating how hard Barbara gets shafted in the story. None of the moments that really stuck out to me from the comic felt like they were delivered half as well, and I don't think the story being animated added anything to it. At least Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill delivered good performances for their respective characters, but it's really wasted here. I really wouldn't call this movie good at all, and how sex is used here along with how bad I already thought Justice League vs Teen Titans was, I feel really pessimistic about the Judas Contract movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jack Gladney posted:

Seems like both the edgiest thing and the thing most likely to lead to respectful treatment of the victim by the story would be to have the Joker rape Commissioner Gordon. Or any male character, I guess.

It's not sexist because I hate men and women equally.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://www.slashfilm.com/justice-league-action-characters/

I missed this a while ago. 152 different characters in Justice League Action, and it'll be set up with two 11 minute episodes at a time. The show is definitely looking better the more I hear about it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That Halloween episode sounds cute as heck.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought it was funny that master martial artist Deathstroke the Terminator is only fought in a tank, and when he gets out is instantly defeated by Batman in a cutscene.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So according to Google, Justice League Action is supposedly starting in October, but there doesn't seem to be an exact release date.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

thebardyspoon posted:

Justice League Action is starting soon right? I'm hoping that will be a super hero cartoon worth watching finally, trailer way earlier this year looked pretty good and like it might be doing Brave and the Bold levels of obscure characters.

Supposedly, it starts this month, but still no word on the exact air date.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Return of the Caped Crusaders is fantastic.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://nerdist.com/batman-return-of-the-caped-crusaders-sequel-casts-william-shatner-as-two-face/

Return of the Caped Crusaders is getting a sequel with William Shatner as Two-Face.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm happy, just hope it doesn't introduce 20 new characters and not do anything with them again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I haven't seen Green Lantern yet, but it is part of my schedule of DC cartoons to stream for my friends after we finish Clone Wars/Rebels.

Speaking of which, I don't suppose anybody would be interested in joining a stream for the DC cartoons when I start that?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I generally stream Saturday at 1 PM PST and Sunday at 12 PM PST, since most of the people that join my streams are in Europe.

Edit - I could make a thread about it when we get closer to when I start streaming them. It should be before the end of the year though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Justice League Action is apparently going to start on the 26th

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There's some clips out for Justice League Action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_tzyQFyENQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5k66ChoHgo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olqC1UqqeS4

It reminds me of the original Teen Titans cartoon in terms of tone.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's alright. I'll give it more time to really prove itself, since the first season of Justice League is honestly pretty bad compared to the second.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Apparently some Young Justice news

http://en.yibada.com/articles/177594/20161208/young-justice-season-3-spoilers.htm

"Young Justice" season 3 will likely introduce a new generation of young heroes that help both the Team and the Justice League in their fight against the villanous group known as The Light. Some of these heroes include Damian Wayne/Robin, Kara-Zor El/ Supergirl, Starfire, Raven and Cassandra Cain/Batgirl."

Great!

"Another possible storyline for “Young Justice” Season 3 will have Roy Harper/Arsenal form his new team since he does not want to play by the rules of the Team and Justice League. The Outlaws could be featured in season 3 as the team consist of Arsenal, Jason Todd/Red Hood and Starfire. Perhaps Jason could be resurrected as Red Hood and Starfire could be a former member of the team by the time season 3 starts. "

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm hoping they don't just introduce a dozen new characters and not develop any of them again like they did with S2.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I admit I skimmed and didn't see this

"Other characters that fans want to see are Speedy, Vibe, Silver Banshee and Jess Quick."

So probably take it with a grain of salt.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Roth posted:

I generally stream Saturday at 1 PM PST and Sunday at 12 PM PST, since most of the people that join my streams are in Europe.

Edit - I could make a thread about it when we get closer to when I start streaming them. It should be before the end of the year though.

I should be able to finish my Rebels streamthrough within two weeks, and then I can start this up on New Year's Eve and New Year's.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SonicRulez posted:

Which running gags were forced? Do not say Robin, I will fight you.

Off the top of my head, I recall a lot of characters had a catchphrase, or something reoccurring about them.

The whole "whelmed" gag, which I did think was funny.
Lagoon Boy saying "By Neptune's Beard"
Beast Boy saying "Noted"
Wally pointing out "Trophy!" at the end of every mission.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Some of them were definitely stronger than others.

I like the "whelmed" gag because it feels like exactly the kind of dumb inside joke a group of friends would hold onto for that long.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TFRazorsaw posted:

Thinking he was just this arrogant annoying loser who stole M'gann away was the intended audience reaction.

Ended up not working for me, because I didn't think Lagoon Boy really came across as a jerk for being with Miss Martian, and I don't recall him treating her badly either.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm talking about from the outset, I never really felt like there was a reason to hate the guy, for good or bad reasons. Which is apparently what they intended.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm pretty much only looking forward to more Adam West Batman movies from DC's DTV stuff.

Everything that takes place in this animated continuity they have going on has been an utter snooze fest, especially Justice League vs Teen Titans, and I can't imagine Justice League Dark or Judas Contract will be any better.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The main things I remember about 90s Spider-Man are:

1. The Secret Wars arc
2. Meeting Stan Lee
3. People falling into portals instead of dying
4. SHOOOOOOOOOOOCKER!!!! I WILL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. The episode names were stuff like "Sins of the Father: Book 4: Part VIII: The Sequel
6. "I ran out of web!" *Cut to commercial*

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Speaking of The Killing Joke movie

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/01/11/batman-dates-barbara-gordon-in-new-lego-batman-movie-tv-spot/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Lego Batman, through some twists and turns.

I think it's going to be good. No movie with Barbara and Bruce as an item can fail.

Director is saying on twitter that the ad is misleading and he hates the pairing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Can't wait for Deathstroke to have sex with Terra and then have one of the writers call somebody complaining a pussy at comic con.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

He's in it.

Cyborg is part of the big boy Justice League in the animated movie continuity.

The story had Raven, Starfire, Changeling/Beast Boy, Cyborg, Nightwing and Wonder Girl. The movie has Robin and Blue Beetle instead of Cyborg and Wonder Girl.

How could you forget the oh so memorable character of Jericho?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Honestly, I found Voltron really dull. The characters weren't doing much for me, and the villains are especially boring.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

Isn't Voltron just an excuse to have giant robots fight monsters in space? Doesn't seem like you need much of a "story" for that.

It's supposed to be more character-driven this time, and it just falls flat for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Whoever's the current voice director is doing a pretty lovely job.

I don't want to be one of those people that just seems upset that they didn't use the same voice actors, but good God I would kill to have the 03 Teen Titans voice actors in these new movies. The new voice actors sound awful at their job.