Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Batman will always stick out to me as that series that gave The Penguin kung fu. It also had my favorite design for an animated Catwoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't disagree, I love the silliness of The Penguin with kung fu.

Beware the Batman just looks boring. That CGI does not look appealing. I have heard good things about Green Lantern TAS though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think a lot of villains that aren't Joker, Harley, and Scarecrow didn't have a lot of episodes actually. Not including New Batman Adventures, Ivy has, like, 3 in total besides Trial, Almost Got Em', and cameos like Harley's Holiday.

I also recall they were forced to use the Tim Burton Penguin which probably explains why they didn't use him a whole lot in the original series as well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

An actual effort post about the usage of Batman villains in TAS based on Wikipedia

Joker: 13
Harley Quinn: 8
Scarecrow: 4
The Penguin: 7
Poison Ivy: 7
Man-Bat: 2
The Riddler: 4
Two-Face: 8
Mr. Freeze: 2
Catwoman: 5
Clayface: 3
Mad Hatter: 5
Clock King: 2
Killer Croc: 4
Hugo Strange: 1
Bane: 1
Ra's Al Ghul: 3
The Ventriloquist: 3
Rupert Thorne : 8
Roland Dagget: 5
Baby Doll: 1
Lock Up: 1
Red Claw: 3
Misc.: 35

So really, Penguin was actually pretty frequently used. This is including ensemble villain episodes though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The misc. section was for episodes that were one off characters and stuff like the Sewer King (that episode and the one following it were both rear end)

Dagget and Thorne have a bunch of appearances because they work as generic corrupt businessman and mobster characters. They mostly seem to just gently caress up and create more iconic villains like Clayface and Two-Face, or get in one if the rogues' way.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

As for the DCAU entirely, I think Lex probably has the most appearances of any villain.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

It doesn't include when they switched animation styles and I think counts 2 parters as one appearance. Because he definitely had a third appearance after they intruduced Tim Drake, and I think his second appearance in the older episodes was a two parter. Freeze also shows up in an episode of Batman Beyond.

His first appearance in the cartoon won it an emmy.

I'll do Nrw Batman Adventures later when I get home.

Two-parters were counted twice.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

New Batman Adventures:

Joker: 6
Harley Quinn: 5
Clayface: 2
Two-Face: 2
Mr. Freeze: 1
The Ventriloquist: 1
Catwoman: 1
Scarecrow: 2
The Penguin: 3
Edward "King" Barlowe: 1
Baby-Doll: 1
Killer Croc: 2
Firefly: 2
Roxy Rocket: 1
Bane: 1
Calendar Girl: 1
Farmer Brown (from the best episode of TV ever: "Critters"): 1
Thomas Blake: 1
The Mad Hatter: 1
Klarion the Witch Boy: 1
The Mutants: 1
Poison Ivy: 4
Livewire: 1
The Riddler: 1

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm trying to figure out how you managed to mix that up.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I can see that.

The one it was actually in had a pretty fun tribute to the older Batman cartoons too animated in that style, as well as a pretty good dig at Joel Schumacher

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Old man shows apathetic kid who just wants to play video games the cartoons of his youth

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Like Critters, the best episode out of any TV show ever made

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think that came way later with the Batman Beyond 2.0 comics.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If DC ever does get that whole DC Unlimited thing going, I would love it if they put the DCAU tie-in comics on there.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Batman will never be allowed to be happy

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Honestly, Beyond shows Bruce slowly repairing his life and after everything fell apart by showing him reconnect with everybody (except Dick) and take his company back.

I don't think it's anywhere near the utterly miserable ending for Bruce that people think it is.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

achillesforever6 posted:

Whatever happened to Dick in BB? Kind of weird if they never brought him up

There's a point, I think in Return of Joker, where Barbara tells Terry to consider giving Dick Grayson a call, and hearing some of his stories.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember Gotham High was a thing that was considered at one point

I imagine it would have made X-Men Evolution look like Superman TAS at the very least

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I agree with Lurdiak. The Underdwellers is a really boring episode with a lame villain.

I also don't like The Forgotten at all.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched four episodes of Justice League Action and thought it was ok.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just remembered I recently saw blu-ray releases of Brave and the Bold, so I'm gonna start picking those up.

Now if only we could get blu-rays of Teen Titans.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhonne posted:

Those remind me of the DC Nation shorts they used to show on Cartoon Network.

Really miss those. Just a bunch of different stuff starring different DC characters.

My dream show is an adult swim show that's just an anthology series with a bunch of different characters. Like an episode about Doom Patrol, and then the next one is a Superman adventure.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's a lot of garbage

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't find TTG entertaining in the slightest, and arguments about it are on the same level.

So long as we all agree that the Brotherhood of Evil in the original Teen Titans series were the best villains.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Slade? Trigon? Dr. Drakken?

Chumps, all of them. A brain in a jar, a talking gorilla, and lovely Vandal Savage came closer to winning than all of them.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ToastyPotato posted:

Daffy being a psychopath towards Porky for no damned reason is also a thing. Like when he worked at the hospital and kidnapped Porky off the street so he would have a patient. Or when they had to share a hotel room. There's also the well liked shorts where Daffy and Bugs both try to get Elmer Fudd to shoot the other repeatedly. Or the one where Daffy eventually tries to murder Bugs over a talent show before eventually literally killing himself.

That said, TTG has made me chuckle quite often. It's a 10 minute comedy cartoon that is not designed to be particularly narrative based. I am pretty sure the hatred is almost entirely derived from TT fans being sour over that shows cancellation and other people bandwagoning from there.

I never understood that. The original Teen Titans is actually my favorite DC animated show, since it's a show that meant a lot to me while growing up, but Teen Titans had been over since 2006, and had actually ended how they wanted it to end. It's not like they cancelled TT and immediately replaced it with TTG.

I think there were ideas for a season 6, but the focus would have shifted from the main five characters, and been primarily about characters like Jericho and Pantha that were introduced in S5, and that just sounds worse than TTG to me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Autism Sneaks posted:

Actually, Teen Titans Unlimited sounds awesome

Maybe if those characters were interesting, but the likes of Jericho and Pantha are really bottom of the barrel.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Teen Titans Go is definitely better than the Teen Titans DTV movie that just came out.

To be fair, it's better than most of the DTV DC movies as of late.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KxDfAo-Tek

I don't understand what I'm looking at

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Again???

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teen Titans is still my favorite DC show, and I will never understood why Teen Titans Go sends people into such a frothing rage.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TFRazorsaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBrPQYTuvMI

Scooby Doo and Batman Brave & the Bold crossover movie

being made in 2018

what the flying gently caress

Because sometimes dreams come true

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

For reference my favorite manga by far is One Piece so...yeah.

I'd go with team books like the aforementioned Claremont X-Men. If you like that, you might like New Teen Titans although that has aged worse than Claremont X-Men.

Other than that: if you like how weird One Piece can be, then Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol is pretty good. Morrison also has a good run on JLA that's worth checking out. Kurt Busiek's Avengers is a classic, Geoff Johns on Teen Titans is a bit more approachable than New Teen Titans for somebody not used to older comics yet, and the Abnett Guardians of the Galaxy has some pretty good stuff in it.

If you don't mind going very far back, then Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four is a great read.

Other than that: Chew has that One Piece thing where absurdly dumb sounding powers get used in really cool ways. Valiant might be an option to look into since it offers a way more focused universe than DC or Marvel.

Some ongoing creator-owned stuff that are pretty adventure heavy would be: Manifest Destiny and Saga.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That is true. Admittedly, I've never let things like "Wow, i have no idea what the backstory here is" bother me too much, so I tend to forget that aspect of things with recommending comics.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My bad, I missed that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd read it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It was all me

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've watched a bit of TTG and it's ok. Not something I'd go out of my way to watch and keep up with, but it's nowhere near the most offensively bad that CN has put on its channel.

And they have put a lot of really bad cartoons on their channel.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

When has Harley worn a mask

She's wearing a domino mask in that image three posts above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It looks like they're emulating stop motion to me.

I'm more bothered by how Miles' face looks like he's from a Telltale game.