Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I had never once seen a second of Teen Titans Go until the trailer for the movie came on before Deadpool 2 last night. It was completely unbearable. How was this a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't really buy the "It's bad because it's a show for children" excuse when I saw a trailer before a very not for children R rated film last night.

Also I predominantly watched Looney Tunes as a child because it was on all the drat time. And Looney Tunes was never and will never be terrible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Monaghan posted:

Hey Thundercats also had one of the best character themes of all time :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E11XJ83tzjw

Thundercats had a pretty fantastic overall soundtrack. But like most '80s cartoon with good soundtracks it was the same dozen or so tracks over and over again for dozens of episodes. It's not quite at the level of Inspector Gadget of Mysterious Cities of Gold, but then again you can't really compare anyone favorably to Shuki Levy when it comes to that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh, the most recent Marvel's Spider-Man episode had Lady Ock and Doc Ock's "I'M SECRETLY EVIL HAHAHAHAHA" plan finally was revealed.

It took like...three episodes to finish that story arc, but I do like how they're kind of slowly building on Brock getting the symbiote. He hasn't had a speaking role yet, but he's always around in the background of the Bugle and Jameson is constantly saying how better Peter is at getting pictures of Spider-Man than he ever was which he gets pissed about.

...which is a really terrible motive for wanting to kill him when he gets the symbiote later this season (thanks to the trailer for season 2, it's very obvious) but...eh. It's better than "EVERYONE INCLUDING HULK AND ALL OF THE GUARDIANS ARE SYMBIOTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" from Ultimate Spider-Man.

Nothing will ever beat Spectacular Spider-Man in regards to how the Parker/Brock blood feud was ignited. In that cartoon Brock had every right to be pissed at Peter/Spider-Man and it made it way more interesting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I always liked in the comics how weak his motivation was. It made him seem scarier since he was a deluded maniac who'd written a story in his head where he's the hero and Spider-man's the villain, even though he kills people.

I mean, I can see why someone would like that. But I never really cared about 616 Eddie Brock as a character at all really. In the cartoon I came to like the character well before they even went down that route and the way they planted the seeds really worked for me when it finally happened.

ThermoPhysical posted:

That is very true but I don't think it's possible for Marvel to be that detailed anymore. Did EMH even have that level of build-up?

I thought the first season of the new Spider-Man did a really good job establishing the rift between Peter and Harry as well very much like Spectacular did with Peter and Brock.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

What's Hordak without Skeletor to bicker with?

I mean don't get me wrong, this show looks neat and I'm obviously not the target audience. I'm just being a big nerd.

Didn't DC recently put out a super dark and gritty comic with He-Man and She-Ra where she was the long lost sibling raised to be like a ruthless mercenary by Hordak on another planet? I'm sure that was super good!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

drrockso20 posted:

Hopefully I'm wrong and they're just keeping He-Man and Skeletor away while letting She-Ra get established, and then they'll come into play after that movie Sony is doing comes out next year

OK. But where does the she was raised by Hordak to be evil plot kick in? Come on, don't tell me with that art style above they're not gonna do that story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I too am surprised that a 24 hour kids channel is showing a kids program during those 24 hours.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

so is the joke here is that youre too dumb to comprehend the notion that a target audience might not actually be watching at a given time or what

let's just air it at 3am, its a kids channel so obviously kids will be watching right hurf durf :pwn:

It doesn't matter because it'll repeat at all different hours for a week or more. Kids will find it any time it airs yes. Placing it at a special time on two networks will tell you if there's any greater interest outside of the demo that's already going to be plopped in front of the TV watching it anyway. It's actually a smart move from a programming standpoint.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

ill grant that people will be watching through other venues, i was thinking about youtube and other apps for the outside demos, but i just cant square the logic of putting a premiere of a movie at 10pm. is there really an expectation that outside demos are gonna watch a marvel cartoon at 10pm on a sunday? if you dont care whats airing why not just put it in a timeslot where kids might see it incidentally if youre already depending on other demos to see it through other means.

like, looking at the schedule sunday evenings are reruns of gravity falls, guardians, ducktales and star wars rebels. they think that its gonna do worse viewership wise than reruns? thats kinda scary

Because of the way the consumer views these kinds of shows in 2018 one way you can gauge a reaction of people who are really invested is by doing exactly what they're doing. You know who's going to tune in at the time and watch? The people that are already most invested and excited for the show. The demo that's going to watch live on TV and sit through the commercials. They'll find out who and what that demo even is by airing it then and seeing who stays through the whole show. Your TV Y7 audience, or whatever demo, on Saturday morning though is going to be there regardless. Putting the premiere in a place like this just gives them extra data to know who is interested.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Miguel Ferrer was awesome. Spider-Man 2099 was named for him!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

That's just because Buzz Aldrin has gotten too old to keep punching them straight in the face.

In Marvel the sliding timeline means 9/11 is a farther memory than Galactus standing around in New York.

The Marvel sliding timeline means that most if not all of the modern Marvel history we know happened after 9/11.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The sliding timescale was specifically mentioned in Al Ewing's Ultimates.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That solution sounds terrible for the Marvel Universe. They way they do it is the right way. Yes it makes some thinks a bit wonky but it works way more than it doesn't.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Because comics are made to be contemporary and not constantly 30 years behind the times.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I agree. They were not good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm sure that those of you that thought those Marvel cartoons were good watched them when you were real young and fell in love with them. Nothing wrong with that as I have cartoons I fell in love with too as a kid that are no doubt complete garbage and way worse than the Marvel cartoons of the '90s. I didn't watch them as a kid though, I revisited them years later when I was in my late teens and they just weren't very good. They were bland and stilted and the animation was terrible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

drat the Marvel What If preview looks great. Can't wait till it comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w4KsIXMeug

Zombie Cap vs Winter Soldier, Captain Carter and Iron Man Steve Rogers, and T'Challa as Star Lord. That's some great hooks right there.

X-O fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 12, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

And also the 2003 toon is dogshit.

Permaban queued.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The cast list for Amazon's Invincible animated series is pretty great. Apparently a trailer is coming soon.

Mark Grayson (Invincible): Steven Yeun
Nolan Grayson (Omni-Man): J. K. Simmons
Debbie Grayson: Sandra Oh
Art Rosebaum: Mark Hamill
Cecil Stedman: Walton Goggins
Allen the Alien: Seth Rogen
Atom Eve: Gillian Jacobs
Rex Splode: Jason Mantzoukas
Robot: Zachary Quinto
The Immortal: Ross Marquand
War Woman: Lauren Cohan
Green Ghost: Sonequa Martin-Green
Martian Man: Chad Coleman
William Clockwell: Andrew Rannells
Amber Bennett: Zazie Beetz
Red Rush: Michael Cudlitz
Darkwing: Lennie James
Doc Seismic: Chris Diamantopoulos
Black Samson: Khary Payton
Dupli-Kate: Malese Jow
Monster Girl: Kevin Michael Richardson and Grey Griffin
Shrinking Ray: Grey Griffin
Mauler Twins: Kevin Michael Richardson

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 25, 2020

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scaramouche posted:

No crusher twins no deal

Apparently Kevin Michael Richardson is them as well as Monster Girl's monster form.

Skwirl posted:

drat, what's it gonna be on?

Amazon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well his name is Jefferson Davis. Should've seen it coming.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Cops aren't bees. :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that indeed All Cops Are Bees.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean, personally I think it's absolutely as good. Even better.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only reason it's not thought of in the same light is because it didn't redefine Superman for a generation like Batman did. And that is because Superman didn't need redefining as until recently his character has been portrayed consistently across mediums. That and because of the villains. Nobody can match Batman's villains and that was a bigger part of the animated series being more popular than anything else.

Superman also didn't last long enough to have a disappointing retooling so that's a plus. But on the other hand it also didn't last long enough to produce a really good spinoff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oooh. Time to really make people mad. OK here goes: The cartoon's theme is better than the John Williams theme.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I might be willing to agree to that but didn't want to open that can of worms. Either way the animated series theme is the best Superman theme. The only one that I believe rivals it is the Fleischer one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don't get me wrong I love the Williams theme. But Superman has loads of great themes. I also think the full version of the Williams theme done by John Ottman in Superman Returns is my favorite version of that theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C02Dn5OeeuE

But this is just undeniably the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv1foTnXFaU

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 24, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nanigans posted:

New Batman cartoon picked up straight to series for HBO Max and Cartoon Network headed up by Bruce Timm, Matt Reeves and...:sigh: J.J. Abrams.

While the Abrams...and even the Timm association unfortunately have me weary, the Golden Age design and this quote have me excited:

"We are beyond excited to be working together to bring this character back, to tell engrossing new stories in Gotham City. The series will be thrilling, cinematic and evocative of Batman’s noir roots, while diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters. We cannot wait to share this new world.”

I might get flack for this but I've always hated when they give Batman's 'ears' this type look. I get stylistically why it's done but I don't like it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cosmicbook would be a banned source if anyone actually knew they existed. Unfortunately the only people that post those links are people who accidentally stumble across them and don't know better.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Love this style.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1550558398453878787

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1550558532319191040

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1550559472355086339

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1550559711614885893

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1550560220807659520

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What If Season 2 features a 1602 episode! Also Marvel Zombies is confirmed TV-MA. That's kinda shocking.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's not canon. Peter never met Doc Ock or Norman in the MCU. Norman is supposed to start as his mentor in this series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Tim needs a reinvention

Aww yeah.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I liked the most recent series, but I'm biased because Tim is my favorite DC character. I'm just happy when they do anything with him these days after the dark times of the New 52.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would welcome something akin to the Yost Red Robin run. Loved that series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WB seems pretty cutthroat right now so I wouldn't bank on one unless it was previously announced. And maybe not even then.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rogue, Beast, Storm, Wolverine, and Sinister I believe are the voice actors from the original series. The rest are new.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

cant cook creole bream posted:

The shot on the upper right looks funny. Were they infiltrating a sports team? Also Jean is pregnant I guess, so don't expect any good plots from her.

One of the core tenets of Xavier's School was extracurricular sports. Seriously. They were always playing sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

Is "Gambit charges Wolverine's claws up" something that has been done before because it is a hilariously bad/funny idea that I'm shocked I haven't seen before.

He did in Ultimate X-Men when they were fighting but didn't blow them up.