Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Franchescanado posted:

Why that would make people laugh, is beyond me, but there were many enthusiastic guffaws.
Sometimes, when you're presented with something so incredibly broken or bungled, all you can do it laugh the pain away. :emo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There was some BATMAN FUCKS in R.I.P. and that was ok. It even became plot relevant later on. But that's something that happened in his Bruce Wayne sphere of things.

Franchescanado posted:

When Batman interviews the prostitutes, they say that before the news reveals the Joker's escaped, he's already been to see them and hosed all of them, which makes them giggle. Batman asks why they're laughing, and they say "He just seems to like having a good time."

Joker horny AF
Yeah, as someone noted Azz had this kind of be a point of his otherwise very well done Joker mini. It's supposed to show what a loving bastard Joker is because he just up and rapes the significant other of one of his valued goons, while the guy stands there and watches it. But the thing is there are more depraved ways to show that other than rape, and the actual acknowledgement of the Joker as some rapist horny guy knocks his psycopathy down quite a few pegs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not fanboying out for poo poo, I'm reacting to an idiot thinking his stupid lovely opinion was worth more than a one sentence middle finger. If I can't be smug while replying to someone who throws a fit about how people disagreeing with him must be bad posters, I don't know when I can be.
Hey Lurdy...

U MAD?
heh :smug:

I'm kind of wondering why Valiant comics never made a push into bad 90s SatAm stuff. Seems like their storytelling would be a natural for it. X-O Manowar would be the barbaric fish out of water. Ninjak is the Gambit-like smooth-talking rogue. Rai is your Wolverine, Bloodshot your Punisher type. Malibu did it, why not Valiant?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Hootington posted:

and batman maybe committing suicide.
Social/financial suicide maybe.

I mean, you don't get all PREPARE THE SUPER SPECIAL PROTOCOL FOR JUST SUCH AN EMERGENCY and walk into your doom.

The fallout from Waynetech/The Wayne Foundation being seized and dismantled and caught in miles of red tape due to the association with a known vigilante would be fun, as would the way Dick and Tim's lives would be ruined.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Android Blues posted:

A lot of older kids' cartoons just had nothing to say for 21 minutes, but ran to the time because that was how long they had to be.
I don't quite remember but wasn't Tiny Toon Adventures a mix of smaller episodes and longer 20-ish minute shows? Like they would do a Fields of Honey style Big Plot but a bunch of little random poo poo episodes like the singing frog one or the one with little Plucky Duck getting potty trained.

Kind of puts to light how Animaniacs was basically an animated variety show.

Something like The Centurions, though, has to have the requisite Danger Scene with the leads once or twice to pad the run time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"First Arkham Asylum... Then Arkham City... What's next, Arkham WORLD?!"

I was always kind of disappointed they didn't make any comments about that time Batman wore his goofy purple gloves. Or how about the time he had rubber bat-nipples. Ooh or how about the fabric cowl with the purple painted-on bat eyebrows!!!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 18, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ToastyPotato posted:

I wish we could at least start at college/Daily Bugle Parker just because all of his famous stories are from that time or later, but I get why they keep resetting, there aren't very many young heroes who have huge potential brand recognition.
Kind of interesting the 90s spideyseries had him as a college kid at ESU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

I just can't get over it not being called Batmanime.

They burned through their Weeb quota with the Batmanga

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fuego Fish posted:

They even modelled fingerprints in the "clay" each character was made up of, it was quite detailed.
That's pretty cool.

I know I freaked out when I could see fingerprints on the little Lego bodies in Lego Movie.

Also the broken helmet part for the Bennie. :blush:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MonsterEnvy posted:

CN and DC Animation have a strange rivalry.
"What? That show for a series that won't sell toys didn't get the ratings when we put it in a 6am timeslot on alternating Tuesdays? Well guess we'll have to kill it"

-- A network executive, probably.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Makes sense to just clean the slate with what they're going for, sucks that the first show to really break from their stale animated universe gets caught up in this...
Why must it always be the Spider-toons that get caught up in network programming kerfluffles?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There are, sadly, tons of other genocides they can wrap him up under.

Make him Rwandan, for example.

The question is whether him surviving a genocide is integral to what makes him a good character (and whether tossing him around to other genocides is troublesome or not).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It looks like someone gave EgoKurt a makeover.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Definitely want Matrix supergirl and Redhead Lex, otherwise the characters might be too familiar to people. (Seriously didn't know what was going on in Superman at the time and the weird Lex and Supergirl made me pick up a few comics to catch up).

Doomsday was supposed to be this big, lumbering thing that gave you the impression he could walk through a mountain.

What the gently caress is this poo poo and why does Doomsday look like Jeepers Creepers?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nodosaur posted:

in the comic he starts out wearing that weird containment suit before his true appearance gets revealed.
Yeah, I know. He was this unknowable thing with one arm free and a bunch of Doc Ock poo poo barely restraining him and he was still wrecking poo poo left and right.

The weird boneface reveal was a pretty awesome moment. They botched both here.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vakal posted:

Was that even in the original comic? It always seemed like an extremely dumb move by Supes if his goal was to prevent more destruction to Metropolis.
Actually, he does (kind of).

After the initial JL beatdown, Supes tries mostly to slow/redirect Doomsday with stuff like dropping cars on him or Inazuma Kicking him from height. When they enter Metropolis, Superman piledrives Doomsday upwards, but then the big oaf twists free and kicks him away, crashing into a construction project and giving Steel an origin excuse.

After that it's the slugfest when Supes realizes there's no way to reason with him other than putting him down.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AlternateNu posted:

As much as people like to poo poo on the newer DC animated properties, I really enjoy Justice League Action. It is like a happy medium between Batman TBATB and JLU.
JL Action was a great series and I'm legit upset it never got any promos or push. It's got some good takes on the JL characters.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Roommate (voice heard behind door): "Thanos you rear end just give me another roll!

Thanos: "Your failure has brought you here, back to me :smuggo:"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The originals look fairly off there, but it's still a pretty good idea and i'm glad they're actually following through with it.
The coloring is digital and kind of off?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ToastyPotato posted:

Once the models are done, they are done, and you don't need to basically pay per frame of both key frame and everything in between... Rendering costs, sure, but again, the less detail, the cheaper that becomes. And if you are going cell for a more cell shaded, or smoother look, that becomes ludicrously easy. ...

Basically what I am thinking is that if a video game that runs fine on a console can nearly perfectly mimic the style of a cartoon series for its character designs, while also having completely passable animation for its cutscenes, then surely that kind of tech can be used to make cheap DTV movies.
IIRC the ArcSys animators had to hand-tweak the look (lighting, etc) of the cutscenes, character models and dramatic animations to make sure the look was consistent. It's not as easy as "model, skin + thick outlines"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Roth posted:

It's aged, but X-Men still holds up really well
All the action is blueballs bullshit but it communicates the Claremontian era well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

X-O posted:

They were bland and stilted and the animation was terrible.
I know this is a month back but gently caress this noise.

As a kid whose parents didn't have a lot of money, I got to sit and watch bugfuck crazy comic shows on Saturdays and weekdays. Shows that were adapting from whole comic runs. Not doing whatever sad poo poo Avengers: United They Stand did. And that's before getting into the idea that (with X-Men at least) the idea that prejudice should be fought and civil rights should be applied to everyone was a big part of the show.

If I wanted my "actually this is *real* storytelling" fix I could tune in to Gargoyles, Batman or Beast Wars.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

-Mad Love
-Growing Pains
-??????
The one where Clark takes over for Bats because he's missing and whomps Bane?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Toshimo posted:

Flash 1990
For some reason as a kid I was always SUPER excited that maybe this episode would have The Green Lantern show up.

I really loved that dumb muscly flash costume though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
More disconnected episodes means the Captain America SubArctic SuperLuge Armor with Voice Activated SuperSled gets made!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fuego Fish posted:

EMH could have been Marvel's DCAU if they hadn't thrown it all away for nothing :smith:
Love how it became "we can't have this non-MCU animated avengers!" despite, you know, being able to use the established show to get more fans or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hell, 90s Spider-man had long-rear end chapters/arcs. Neogenic Nightmare felt like it went on forever.

"Kids can't follow long stories!" Is just a cheap-rear end excuse to say "this won't make sense in syndication!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
When the gently caress did Turtles go full anime?!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

hiddenriverninja posted:

I know Kevin Conroy has aged gracefully but I was hoping to get lighter, chill Bruce as well as the chronic Bat-voice version.
I don't think he's done goofy-almost-mid-atlantic Bruceman since, like, World's Finest.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

Human rights only apply to humans. :colbert:

:bahgawd: "now these fuckin cape-backs comin in from Planet gently caress or Dimension poo poo, fuckin up our schools and jobs. It ain't natural!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

That poo poo was generally more believable back in the early 1900s where paperwork was made of actually paper.
Yep. No one knew quite how old my Paternal Grandmother was because she was born in a tiny-rear end town and the doc didn't really write a birth certificate or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Argue posted:

Sounds like all of the Spider-man cartoons were just playing the long game and setting up a Spider-verse miniseries to resolve all of these at once.
That's... that's basically what the last episode of 90s Spiderman was.

Also the Spider-Verse jaunts in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

Blockhouse posted:

It's wild how poorly the 90's Spider-Man animated series aged compared to X-Men
I figured the CGI work dug into the budget and that's why they only had 19/24 minutes animated and had to do poo poo like loops and slowed down footage to pad it out???

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 2, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It can work if it happens to travel through a bunch of genres. If it's literally 80s Synthwave Vanart Rock then.... mehhh

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ultimate Iron Man curing Banner, then having him force a Hulk because The Leader caught them, thereby destroying the nanotech cure, was pretty hosed.

Ben Grim becomes Wonderman and Reed goes crazy making a supercity was good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

That's some loving deep storytelling you absolutely wouldn't need to do if you're just making a cartoon for kids.
Yeah, even as a kid I noticed that the Bruce Voice was more suave, higher register, and kind of fake and gladhandy.

I was like "but that's a fake voice his real voice is Batman voice!"

I think the Alfred Voice is best seen when he's talking about the HARDAC robots and mentions the soul of silicon. It's like a halfway point between the Bat/Bruce voices.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey I hear they can use this "AI Art" thing to :suicide:

But seriously they would need a Spiderverse-style pipeline to make it faithful to Ross

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The quick fix is to make the NuGen heroes a bit more like The Just of Multiversity. Don't have them be out of control teen gangs but more narcissistic and social-media driven. Magog's murder of the Joker gets caught by a citizen bystander and it becomes a viral hit and now all these upstarts want their own Magog Moment, so they engineer disasters or fake quarrels.

I stand by the idea that a decently ambitious render pipeline could make it happen. Especially now that the TMNT Mutant Mayhem trailer dropped. Would give the artists the chance to incorporate different styles since Spectre guides that dude on a timetrip anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

catlord posted:

See, I saw The Batman when I was a bit too old for the toys so I only vaguely remember seeing ads for them and I have no idea how they worked. I'm curious what specifically activated them.
Ultrasonic signals in the shows broadcast, iirc.

My wife won one of the Batmobiles randomly and we had fun seeing when it activated during the shows. It added "villains" to the roster of games or activity things the led game screen thing had which was cool but stopped working once it was in syndication or rebroadcast or something.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was a weird thing to stick into a cartoon, but the episode is also all about trying to exonerate somebody else being threatened with the death penalty.
One of the really interesting things about StAS Metropolis is just how many levels there seems to be to the city. Like Gotham has tall foreboding buildings but Metropolis just has enormous skyscrapers and elevated walkway connectors and multi-layer expressways. It's a great landscape for Superman to navigate.

Re: the cartoon ending. It seems like a lot of 90s TV wanted to have a kind of twist/cliffhangery ending to make the end of an episode feel more abrupt and less closed off. Tons of the S1 episodes of Buffy have a weird twist (leftover lizard eggs in the pool, Invisible Girl classmate recruited into Evil Government X-men). And the X-files had a few episodes that didnt quite resolve. It comes back big in Batman Beyond, with really gruesome or unsettling ends to people's stories. Maybe the popularity of The Outer Limits remake having an influence?