Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

muscles like this! posted:

If you want obscure they talk about Bishop's Buffet a couple of times (two I believe) and that's a small Midwestern chain.

I remember one episode, there was a scene of people getting into a car. IIRC, Servo started doing a "where should we go for dinner" bit, and he mentioned Barnaby's, which is a pizza chain that is mostly just in Illinois and Indiana nowadays (though it did have restaurants in Wisconsin, and even as far south as Virginia and Florida). I've eaten at one of the Indiana based ones many times over the years, so it was a pleasant little moment to hear it referenced in MST3K. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I always loved how they were never shy to make a reference that they had to know 85-90% of viewers wouldn't get. I lived in Minnesota at the time so we had Menards, but I've never seen the store in any other state though. I wonder how widespread they are.
I didn't have one, but the joke had the energy of local ads so I didn't think heavily on it at the time, either.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Best skit is either Tom Servo's Death Ray or A Joke By Ingmar Bergman

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I always loved how they were never shy to make a reference that they had to know 85-90% of viewers wouldn't get. I lived in Minnesota at the time so we had Menards, but I've never seen the store in any other state though. I wonder how widespread they are.

There's at least one in the Cleveland area.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sash! posted:

There's at least one in the Cleveland area.

Columbus too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There were plenty of Menards stores in east Nebraska when I lived there for three years one winter.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

There are a lot of Menard's stores in Iowa. I can still sing the jingle.

Recent episode I watched (I think it was Tormented!), Joel is speculating about going on vacation to Davenport or the Quad Cities, which I didn't recall at all.

The best Iowa reference is—of course—the short about Home Economics. At Iowa State, the high school after high school!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
The best Iowa reference is that one gal Bob Dornan pursues in Starfighters. IOWA!! :haw:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I think I know the McDonald’s where Mike wet ‘em after his walkathon.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

It's a Giant Spider Invasion of savings down at Menards! :buddy:

we didn't have Menards stores in my city until recently and when they started appearing, i would drop that riff non-stop.

still do, when i drive by one.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
There was one episode where Crow referenced the commercials for Raceway Park, a drag race track here in the Jersey suburbs. A common reference for the NY metro area but completely foreign to most people outside of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Super-cali-fragilistic-expi-ala-wacky is a pretty fun sketch.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
The medieval Tom Servo quartet sing "Sweet Delta Lady" is one of my favorites, also the Behind the Music: The band that sang California Lady

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If we're doing songs then I also appreciate Mike's 'I Am Sad' while the Bots deal with a catastrophic engineering failure.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
One of my favorite skits is "Crow hires Ortega to cater the movie break", and one of my favorite songs is the "Hike Up Your Pants" song Joel and the Bots did during "Daddy-O".

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

In the new seasons the cameos get a little goofy but it was nice to see Joel and J Elvis doing the show proper. the new riffs took a little getting used to and Felicia Day is the weak link but i like it overall. Sad it's not getting season 3 tho

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Felicia Day owns and has the intensely uncomfortable energy that Trace had. When she hams it up during the theme song was when I was onboard with the revival.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
my only complaint about the new season after finally watching all of it is that there won't be more

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Joel has made it sound like there's a plan to continue the show in some fashion.

I remember hearing the Marvel shows have a two year contract before they could be theoretically restarted somewhere else. I wouldn't be surprised to see Joel run another Kickstarter after whatever MST3k contract with Netflix expires.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Heck considering MST3K is one of Shout Factory's core brands and one they own a direct stake in if I remember properly they have even more reason to push for more of the show once they're free of Netflix, and they'll probably have no problems finding a new home for it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I meant more that it'd be vanishingly unlikely that they'd be able to keep that cast, not that they wouldn't be able to make more MST3K

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

flatluigi posted:

I meant more that it'd be vanishingly unlikely that they'd be able to keep that cast, not that they wouldn't be able to make more MST3K

Probably for the best anyways

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Bicyclops posted:

Felicia Day owns and has the intensely uncomfortable energy that Trace had. When she hams it up during the theme song was when I was onboard with the revival.

Agreed. She felt to me like the Pearl Forrester character but just starting out. Confident but shaky, evil but ridiculous. The great shame of the cancellation is that Patton and Felicia are likely gone as the Mads and I liked what they brought to the show.

I don’t doubt that Mst3k will be coming back, but I feel like the Netflix show was finally coming into its own when it got cancelled.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crazy Ferret posted:

I don’t doubt that Mst3k will be coming back, but I feel like the Netflix show was finally coming into its own when it got cancelled.

Yeah. :(

If felt like they were finally starting to really get better, it sucks they probably won't have another go at it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The most hyper-obscure Twin Cities references I can recall offhand are "go to bed old man" (from a routine by a comedian colleague of Joel's), and a reference to a building looking like Normandale Community College (in, I think, Prince of Space). I would regularly pass NCC on the way to my grandparents' house in Bloomington, so it was probably on Kevin's regular commute to/from the studios as well.

It really was quite a resemblance IIRC, but you could probably say that of nearly any community college.

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah. :(

If felt like they were finally starting to really get better, it sucks they probably won't have another go at it.

I was really glad they let the jokes breathe more in the second season, and their live tour performance of Eegah! was flat-out as good as any top-tier classic MST3K.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I found a good obscure reference that while it happened in Minnesota could admittedly have happened anywhere but I had always wondered about:

"Stop her, she's got my keyboard!" from Gamera vs. Guiron.

This is a reference to a girlfriend of Michael J. Nelson's leaving him without a word of explanation and taking his Roland keyboard with her, which was given to him by his parents.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

The Mads Are Back

https://twitter.com/TheMadsAreBack/status/1278354692200898560

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nice to be actually able to see something from them since the only way previously was actually being at the live show.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
not that I have the money to watch it right now anyway, but I don't know if that's the right film where I'd want to see a riff without anyone vetting the jokes first given the transphobia scattered throughout MST3K (and rifftrax for that matter)

always fun to stumble across one of those riffs when watching old episodes. I used to count Incredibly Strange Creatures as one of my favorites until I rewatched it with friends a few years back

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
They’ve done that one as part of their live shows before, I saw it when they were in town 4 or so years ago.

From what I can remember, they treat it as a really badly made film with a good message that was way ahead of its time, and I don’t recall anything objectionable from the riffing

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

ixnay posted:

They’ve done that one as part of their live shows before, I saw it when they were in town 4 or so years ago.

From what I can remember, they treat it as a really badly made film with a good message that was way ahead of its time, and I don’t recall anything objectionable from the riffing

yeah, I saw them do Glen or Glenda two and half years ago or so. They gave a pretty nice speech about how the movie is about the importance of being your true self, but that unfortunately it was made by a deeply inept filmmaker.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's good to hear! hopefully the live riff goes well

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There’s a girl on the roof
And she thinks she’s a cat

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I noticed that Rifftrax took down the Troll 2 riff, probably because lowtax is on it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I noticed that Rifftrax took down the Troll 2 riff, probably because lowtax is on it.

Yeah. Somebody brought it to their attention. Still showed up on their Twitch after at least once I know of. (The chat didn't seem to either know or care as nobody was commenting on it I could see.)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

flatluigi posted:

not that I have the money to watch it right now anyway, but I don't know if that's the right film where I'd want to see a riff without anyone vetting the jokes first given the transphobia scattered throughout MST3K (and rifftrax for that matter)

always fun to stumble across one of those riffs when watching old episodes. I used to count Incredibly Strange Creatures as one of my favorites until I rewatched it with friends a few years back

Also, given Frank being Frank, I don't think they would aim for any of that type of humor.

For MST3K, it's definitely one of the things that have aged terribly. The Incredibly Strange Creatures was the only time I ever felt like it went from 90s humor into being mean spirited. Maybe it's because they did an extended bit on it, rather than one joke and it's done.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I rewatched Invasion of the Neptune Men a while back and some of the Japanese jokes made me really uncomfortable.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mr. B Natural has more than a few "oh. oh no" riffs in it, looking back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Don't remember if it extended to the riffs but I kind of always thought the Canada sketch in Final Sacrifice (I think that was it anyway) was a little much as well.

Off the subject, I forget the title or if the movie had anything to do with it but what was the deal with that one Joel episode where every host segment was about pancakes?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I forget the title or if the movie had anything to do with it but what was the deal with that one Joel episode where every host segment was about pancakes?
I think this actually came up in the episode guide: IIRC, the movie gave them so little to work with that they gave up and made all the host segments about waffles.