Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Magic Hate Ball posted:

♫ this song ♫
♫ is in ♫
♫ the public ♫
♫ domain ♫
♫ that's why ♫
♫ we used ♫
♫ it twice ♫

They TRIED to kill me with a for-ork-lift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

Ms Boods posted:

So many shorts slay me, but I love the one with Ben Franklin teaching the little boy about saving money and planning a budget.

I like to say, at every opportunity, '[Ben Franklin] was the best President we ever had!'

[Lame humour helped by living in Britain. Lame humour may not be available in your area]

"This is my weekly feigning of interest in you, son!" :v:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CHEATING

Is bad.

RICHARD BASEHART

is good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So apparently Shout Factory just bought the entirety of Roger Corman's film library, that definitely will be a boost for MST3K

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

drrockso20 posted:

So apparently Shout Factory just bought the entirety of Roger Corman's film library, that definitely will be a boost for MST3K

Jesus Christ, that is a LOT of movies.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

!!!

Season 12 already looking exciting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Paper Kaiju posted:

Jesus Christ, that is a LOT of movies.

Yeah it's kinda insane how many movies Corman made

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you've never seen it, I highly recommend the Corman's World documentary. Dude was surprisingly influential on American cinema, especially for someone who basically started his studio out of pig-headedness because nobody else wanted to make his movies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Roger Corman is the shining example of gently caress You I'll Do it Myself that went to wild success

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Girl in Lovers Lane has a terrible ending but the rest of the episode is so great. The riffs are just so strong, especially when they spend the entire movie calling the main character "Big Stupid."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you've never seen it, I highly recommend the Corman's World documentary. Dude was surprisingly influential on American cinema, especially for someone who basically started his studio out of pig-headedness because nobody else wanted to make his movies.

Yeah it's great, he was a wild dude. Not as wild as Ed Wood, but in a kind of punk rock filmmaker kind of way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

Yeah it's great, he was a wild dude. Not as wild as Ed Wood, but in a kind of punk rock filmmaker kind of way.

He launched James Cameron's career, so we can thank him for that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

precision posted:

Is still actually, he ain't dead

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rewatching Girl in Lovers Lane and the line "We accidentally drove onto a movie set, let's get out of here" made me laugh so hard my head hurts.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I’m glad I blasted thought the remainder of the first classic batch before they got taken off because wow, Werewolf is so loving great.

Tusk

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
WARWILF!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't know, you had him last! :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't know, you had him last! :v:

You can't say that. That's a really stupid joke and I'm gonna tell Mike. :mad:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The third straight week of the full moon.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Magic Hate Ball posted:

WARWILF!

Wurrwolve?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Man, even trying to scroll past like 1990 on Corman's IMDB page takes forever. It's like six and a half decades of movies!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Corman's Fantastic 4 is unironically the best Fantastic 4 film. The only flaw is the Johnny Storm special effects, but given that he had a budget of $49 and a Little Caeser's coupon I can forgive it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

Corman's Fantastic 4 is unironically the best Fantastic 4 film.

It's not even close either.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

drrockso20 posted:

As long as it means I get to see Corman's "The Saint Valentine's Day Massacre" on their Amazon Prime channel, I'll be happy. That's legit a good movie with an actual budget and decent shooting schedule (both of which Corman thought were extremely wasteful), and some good performances by Jason Robards, George Segal, and an early appearance by a young Bruce Dern as one of the victims of the titular massacre.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

rydiafan posted:

Corman's Fantastic 4 is unironically the best Fantastic 4 film. The only flaw is the Johnny Storm special effects, but given that he had a budget of $49 and a Little Caeser's coupon I can forgive it.

Um actually the Johnny Storm vfx are the absolute highlight of the film. I would legitimately love a proper dvd/blu release of that film. It’s a lot of fun.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

rydiafan posted:

That movie is so charming and wonderful. I had it on a bootleg DVD as a kid and was prepared for the worst movie ever but loved it and watched it many times.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

Like most of his movies it's the heart poured into it that makes it work. The acting is a bit hammy but everyone is doing their best and it honestly fits the source material anyways.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Catching Trouble is wonderful just for the obvious levels of loathing that they had for the short.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Bicyclops posted:

Man, even trying to scroll past like 1990 on Corman's IMDB page takes forever. It's like six and a half decades of movies!

to completely appropriate a joke from We Hate Movies, "printing Roger Corman's IMDB page at work will get you fired"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I really enjoy Last Clear Chance. Though that was the short that made me fall in love with the show, so I may be biased. I just love it when the cop loses it, and "are you only dead a little" cracks me up.

I also love the Joel era one about proper grooming - the narrator is just so nasty to that poor woman.

And the cheating short is great. I especially love how the rest of the host segments deal with Crow being a filthy cheater. And how dark that short was.

In all honesty, there's not many shorts that aren't good. Like, I feel like it would be easier to list the shorts I'm not too fond of.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I think the thing with the shorts is, the small amount of time means there's no wasted frames. There's always something important happening on screen, which means there's always something to riff. So many of the movies that frustrate the Brains have long stretches of pointlessness, and you can really only have the host get fed up and shout "DO SOMETHING!" once.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also as per the out of nowhere talking chicken, the shorts have a tendency to be just plain weird in a way the movies usually aren't. Well, either weird or quaint or horrifying.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I think the thing with the shorts is, the small amount of time means there's no wasted frames. There's always something important happening on screen, which means there's always something to riff. So many of the movies that frustrate the Brains have long stretches of pointlessness, and you can really only have the host get fed up and shout "DO SOMETHING!" once.

END!!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They're either hilariously self-serious, like in the Centron shorts, or they're flinging themselves into a bizarre concept.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They're either hilariously self-serious, like in the Centron shorts, or they're flinging themselves into a bizarre concept.

I love the hygiene shorts, but did people really need to be told how to clean themselves?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!
There were a lot of forensics going on in Kansas in the fifties.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Senior Woodchuck posted:

one of my favorite riffs ever is still "Don't just do something, stand there!"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

I love the hygiene shorts, but did people really need to be told how to clean themselves?

Get a load of this dude who's never been in a Walmart.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Century 21 Calling is an interesting short on its own because, unlike other ones, the technology they show ends up eventually being used.

Well, in one form or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's because you're a sinner, Billy.