Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Puff piece on MST3K on slate.com. Nothing really new, but some nice quotes from Joel on the early days and the revival.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/12/mst3k-joel-hodgson-interview-netflix.html

He's mentioned it before, but I always forget that he almost played Woody on Cheers. Part of me wishes he'd done a season and quit to MST3K just so we could live in a world where Ted Danson might have guested on Season 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

He's mentioned it before, but I always forget that he almost played Woody on Cheers. Part of me wishes he'd done a season and quit to MST3K just so we could live in a world where Ted Danson might have guested on Season 11.

I kinda wish he had gone on to play Philo in UHF too, but that might have messed up our puppet show.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dawgstar posted:

The Troll 2 RiffTrax our fearless(?) leader(??) did with Mike is pretty funny, save possibly relying too heavily on 'HEY THERE ARE NO TROLLS IN THIS MOVIE.'

Lowtax does get my favorite riff, recurring or otherwise, in that one "LARRY DAVID!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dawgstar posted:

Agreed. It's not by the Asylum either which means I think more folks are at least trying in the picture. It's probably up there with Eight-Legged Freaks for your dumb giant spider movies.

Eight-Legged Freaks is a fantastically self-aware film and a personal favourite :allears:.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
let's get our story straight, uhhh, they shot first and he never had a wheelchair

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eight-Legged Freaks is a fantastically self-aware film and a personal favourite :allears:.

Oh, it's fun, don't get me wrong and would in fact also be a great MST/RiffTrax even if it's probably too expensive for both (not counting a 'just the jokes' from RT).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, it's fun, don't get me wrong and would in fact also be a great MST/RiffTrax even if it's probably too expensive for both (not counting a 'just the jokes' from RT).

It's really not that riffable. It's a rock-solid movie that makes its own jokes. For a movie to be riffable, it ideally needs to be something that's either just absolutely terrible, or tries and fails due to lack of effort/talent/money/originality.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's really not that riffable. It's a rock-solid movie that makes its own jokes. For a movie to be riffable, it ideally needs to be something that's either just absolutely terrible, or tries and fails due to lack of effort/talent/money/originality.

Yeah I like the movies that are clear shills like atlantic rim or mac and me, but the real best ones are the movies that actually tried their little heart out.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Imagine if they did that Yongary remake from the late 90s in the next season

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Nukieeeeeee

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gozinbulx posted:

Nukieeeeeee

Oh no.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Rifftrax did a perfectly timed IT STINKS last night on No Retreat No Surrender and we nearly had to pause to catch our breath.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

Rifftrax did a perfectly timed IT STINKS last night on No Retreat No Surrender and we nearly had to pause to catch our breath.

Oh, that's a very entertaining RiffTrax is one hasn't seen it. I'm always amused by the inexplicable hatred the fat teenager has for our heroes. If he was any more stock 80's villain you could use him as an ingredient to make delicious gravy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, that's a very entertaining RiffTrax is one hasn't seen it. I'm always amused by the inexplicable hatred the fat teenager has for our heroes. If he was any more stock 80's villain you could use him as an ingredient to make delicious gravy.

The thing is, by the end of the movie, you’re actively rooting for Van Damme’s chatacter because the people on the Seattle team are just so goddamn putrid.

Like fat guy deserved way more a head butting, I wanted to see Ivan go full Bloodsport on him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

While the ET stuff was a bit obvious with Mac and Me, the worse plagiarism was the nearly shot-for-shot ripping off of The Man Who Fell to Earth.

THANK YOU!

Like, Mac and his family look so similar to Thomas Newton's alien family that it has to be on purpose, but why the gently caress would you copy a Nick Roeg film in your ET rip-off?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, I love how the cell is clearly just a spare office. Like, that thing is massive.

Complete with one of those lovely synthetic chipboard tiled ceilings, so anyone who wanted to escape could just climb out.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Murderion posted:

Complete with one of those lovely synthetic chipboard tiled ceilings, so anyone who wanted to escape could just climb out.
It wouldn't have helped though. The officebrig is actually located inside one of the giant robots, so even if you could get out of the room, it is all just a buncha tubes you can't get out of. They established that robots are made from a buncha tubes with offices inside right?

I am certain there were no script pages for the scene where the jackass main mech pilot guy (excitedly describes robot / monster / airplane battle). "Are you sure we're good on that? I made a bunch of airplane sounds and pretended to fly around and said ka-BOOM like nine times" We're good. Moving on! That's when it clicked to me, ohhhh this movie is just trying to be terrible.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Never saw this before.

Prior to the release of Godzilla '98, CBS decided to interview three "Godzilla Experts": Mike, Crow, and Tom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SQiojRWMnk

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mike is bizarrely over the top chill in that footage, did Joel's soul possess him

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Davros1 posted:

Never saw this before.

Prior to the release of Godzilla '98, CBS decided to interview three "Godzilla Experts": Mike, Crow, and Tom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SQiojRWMnk

Can you imagine them doing GINO as an episode of MST3K, it would be brutal

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

drrockso20 posted:

Can you imagine them doing GINO as an episode of MST3K, it would be brutal

I can imagine, because Rifftrax did a live show of it a couple of years back. Twas good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Paper Kaiju posted:

I can imagine, because Rifftrax did a live show of it a couple of years back. Twas good.

I thought it was one of the weaker Rifftrax Lives, to be honest. There’s huge stretches of that film that are just too dull to even riff over.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It was the worst Rifftrax for me, because it was the one where my greatest Rifftrax fear came true: some rear end in a top hat in the theater thought the gimmick of the show meant they could go ahead and make loud jokes about the movie the entire time.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
Random thoughts about the Gauntlet, and the movies therein:

- Dr. Donna St. Phibes' accent is so horribly bad that I legitimately can't tell what kind of an accent she's even going for. Her character seems like it's going to get old, fast.

- In Atlantic Rim, I loved the corpses strewn about on sidewalks that were clearly unharmed extras with occasional unconvincing blood smears near them.

- Graham Greene isn't the only actual name in Atlantic Rim. Jim is the rapper Treach from Naughty by Nature.

- If Netflix really did push for "bigger names," a la Atlantic Rim, that worries me, that they want to start interfering. Especially since I feel like AR was the weakest link this time around.

- Mac and Me is a weirdly dark movie when you think about it. The aliens are dying on a barren planet, then nearly die in the California desert. Mac spends a lot of time crying or being sucked into vacuums. It's just relentlessly depressing.

- Speaking of, the infamous cliff scene isn't in any way caused by the alien. The wrecked living room is why Eric heads outside by himself, sure, but his wheelchair failing, that was just faulty mechanics. Which means it was going to happen anyway. Had a tiny alien not climbed into their minivan, Eric would have drowned during his family's first day in California.

- Weirdly enough, my favorite movie was The Day Time Ended, because I'm a sucker for insane bullshit movies that make less sense sober than they do when you're high as balls.

- I seem to be the only one who liked S11 better than S12. I can't put my finger on why, exactly. I felt like S11 had more charm, and S12 seemed too forced? Don't get me wrong, I loved both of them, but 11 squeaked it out for me.

- Did anyone else think that the captain and the ship's doctor were banging, in Lords of the Deep? Not unfinished Michelle Pfeiffer, the dark haired medic. I got a serious side hook up vibe from them. My husband thinks I'm insane.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

oh yeah that movie was just a bunch of amateur actors hooking up and occasionally they turned the camera on and read some lines

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

spacing in vienna posted:

- Mac and Me is a weirdly dark movie when you think about it. The aliens are dying on a barren planet, then nearly die in the California desert. Mac spends a lot of time crying or being sucked into vacuums. It's just relentlessly depressing.

Eat a Big Mac, have a Coke. You'll feel better.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I liked season 11 more than season 12, though I've learned if I can't get into the movie then I can't get into the riffing. Graham Green's explanation as to why his pilot is both in jail and getting a medal, however, is both one of the worst lines of dialog I've heard on mst3k (non-missed line division) and the best part of the episode.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Season 11 had twice as much schlock fantasy so it was twice as good, QED

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Season 11 had more episodes so when you had a dud here and there, it didn't matter as much.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Graham Green was contracted for exactly one half of a gently caress and by god that is exactly what he delivered.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rydiafan posted:

It was the worst Rifftrax for me, because it was the one where my greatest Rifftrax fear came true: some rear end in a top hat in the theater thought the gimmick of the show meant they could go ahead and make loud jokes about the movie the entire time.

Ouch. I've been to most and haven't had that happen. Admittedly the only times the theater was really full were for The Room (where I think a lot of them just wanted to see Tommy's vision on the big screen) and, oddly, Krull. Nobody thought it was the time to start acting like it's Open Mic Night at the Ha-Ha Hut and now I realize how fortunate that is.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dawgstar posted:

Ouch. I've been to most and haven't had that happen. Admittedly the only times the theater was really full were for The Room (where I think a lot of them just wanted to see Tommy's vision on the big screen) and, oddly, Krull. Nobody thought it was the time to start acting like it's Open Mic Night at the Ha-Ha Hut and now I realize how fortunate that is.

At least it's not very common. I've been to 4-5 live riffing events and I've never seen that happen in the theater. A packed house every time, too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I think most obnoxious thing I've heard anyone do was get drunk enough to howl with extremely loud laughter after most of the riffs, loud enough that the people in surrounding rows couldn't hear, and while the inebriation didn't help, the bulk of the reason it was annoying was that the person had an extremely annoying laugh, which is probably not their fault. Some people are just made that way.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

spacing in vienna posted:

- Speaking of, the infamous cliff scene isn't in any way caused by the alien. The wrecked living room is why Eric heads outside by himself, sure, but his wheelchair failing, that was just faulty mechanics. Which means it was going to happen anyway. Had a tiny alien not climbed into their minivan, Eric would have drowned during his family's first day in California.

eric kept dicking around in the area behind his yard because mac kept fleeing there after busting up eric's house. without mac eric probably wouldn't be back there in the first place

personally i blame the subdivision developer who thought to provide open, unrestricted access to a slope, adjacent to a home, that was overlooking a giant precipice

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

At least it's not very common. I've been to 4-5 live riffing events and I've never seen that happen in the theater. A packed house every time, too.
The only time I ever had it happen to me was for Space Mutiny, where a guy behind me was doing all the original riffs for his friends, just loud enough to be heard two rows ahead.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

luxury handset posted:

eric kept dicking around in the area behind his yard because mac kept fleeing there after busting up eric's house. without mac eric probably wouldn't be back there in the first place

personally i blame the subdivision developer who thought to provide open, unrestricted access to a slope, adjacent to a home, that was overlooking a giant precipice

Eric's mom: Hello, we'd like the Calvin and Hobbes house, please.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

luxury handset posted:

"Now, people like to use the word 'sheer cliff' around these parts..."

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

realtors call it a "scenic overlook"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know this is like trying to untangle a hairball, but I'm trying to figure out Killer Fish's plot. Not sure if bits were cut or just talked over.
--Steal jewels, toss in dam, wait 60 days for heat to die down. Fish deployed to ensure that.
--Flunkies try a double-cross, get fished.
--Flunkies try again, get fished.
--Everybody sits around for 60 days showering and such.
--Baddie and Wife get jewels. Protagonist sabotages boat (out of spite for the dead flunkies? Just plain orneryness? He did not yet know Baddie was a baddie.)
--Storm hits.
--Lots of folks get fished, Protagonist realizes Baddie is a baddie.
--Baddie dies, folks rescued, entire tourist industry for the lake ruined due to piranha.
--Wife gets jewelbox.
--(apparently) Wife opens jewelbox, takes half the jewels, and pretends she can't open it even when on the plane home scott free.
--(at some point afterward) Model swaps jewelbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

luxury handset posted:

The house I grew up in had one of those. Maybe 40 feet out the back gate was an 800-foot cliff overlooking the Rio Grande. A bit less of a slope leading up to it, though.