Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
"Could you scratch my back with your voice?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

The Ms. Hathaway Marching Band!

Jethro wants to be a rock star!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I love it when Trace does Mr Mooney and Mr Drysdale.

The reason to watch Space Travelers is Trace's Gregory Peck impression.

"I suggest you start breathing in shifts."

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
lol at 1% of ring of terror having anything whatsoever to do with a ring of terror. also all the teenagers being 40 years old

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

zoux posted:

Ahem I also think "Are you Ready for Some Football" outstays it's welcome by like 4 riffs :colbert:

What do we got, another citizen who isn't READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

mycophobia posted:

lol at 1% of ring of terror having anything whatsoever to do with a ring of terror. also all the teenagers being 40 years old

I love how they tried to stretch a dumb urban legend to feature length and still only got about 60 minutes.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The blind guy's completely unconcerned "Help me." in Rocket Attack USA is so funny that you understand immediately why they were compelled to introduce stingers starting right then and there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mycophobia posted:

I have no idea what the point of the movie was, it's not like the dude was going around flaunting his fearlessness and saying "I could never be scared to death".

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 27, 2024

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

zoux posted:

I have no idea what the point of the movie was, it's not like the dude was going around flaunting his fearlessness and saying "I could never be scared to death".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Further adventures in looking at an episode I watched 50 times as a teenager with new eyes: The framing story for the back half of Merlin's Shop is such a clumsily handled bit of insanity. Merlin going around asking people on the street if they've seen his toy monkey - don't worry, he's got a crude drawing that one of the PAs sketched out on notebook paper moments before filming started! Then the whole thing is resolved because Merlin finds George R.R. Martin hanging out in the park, and he has his ledger with him where he recorded the name and address of a woman who made a $20 cash transaction maybe an hour earlier!

Saint Merlin not recognized by the Catholic Church.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Merlin was a thieving crackhead who fenced VCRs to feed his habit.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
So Billy, by this time a kid had thrown a chicken while an infertile couple looked at a store

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
'Believe in magic, or I'll kill you"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mycophobia posted:

So Billy, by this time a kid had thrown a chicken while an infertile couple looked at a store

"Geez, Grandpa, no wonder you couldn't sell this turkey!"

(Dumb joke I had forgotten about that landed big me on this viewing: The 70's House Dad putting a roast chicken in the oven - "My cake didn't turn out...")

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Remember that kitten, Billy? That was nothing compared to this. At least the kitten went quick, Billy."

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I utterly loathe you! Do you want to have a baby?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Ring of Terror is the perfect MST ep to sleep through.

zoux posted:

Fugitive Alien II is on the foreverathon right now and Crow has this really annoying bit where he goes "Again?" in a really high pitched, intentionally whining voice when anyone tells the character Rocky to do something. I love Trace, he's my favorite crow and arguably my favorite member of the troupe period, but I cannot stand this bit. They're pretty few and far between, but other really grating bits, to my tastes at least, are:

- Frank's weird GULP A GOO thing he does (but they end up calling that out and stopping it.)
- Pearl's "CLAYTON CLAYTON CLAYTON" bit in that one season 7 episode
- in the first couple of Kevin seasons, he makes like little under-his-breath conversation sounds like "mmmhmm" and "yup" constantly through some of the episodes. He knocks that off eventually.

Ahem I also think "Are you Ready for Some Football" outstays it's welcome by like 4 riffs :colbert:

There will never be enough "Are you ready for some football?" riffs!

... But yeah, there are some that grate eventually. Frank's "Eukayeeeu!" gets called out pretty quick, but the mads end a ton of S2 and S3 episodes just going "eeeeegh" at the end. I guess they can't all be the end of Daddy-O.

Kevin's "Jeeeeeeeeed" in Leech Woman is the one that wears out fast for me.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
KAROKE! [gulping noise]

funny as gently caress, to me

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

An eyuck-ee-oo from me to you, sweet floppy Frank.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Granny Clampett is a complex and HIGHLY nuanced character.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Uncle Wemus posted:

Granny Clampett is a complex and HIGHLY nuanced character.

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
[during a Racket Girls match]

Lupita, no!

e: hell yes, the Gamera with Cornjob

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

JethroMcB posted:

Further adventures in looking at an episode I watched 50 times as a teenager with new eyes: The framing story for the back half of Merlin's Shop is such a clumsily handled bit of insanity. Merlin going around asking people on the street if they've seen his toy monkey - don't worry, he's got a crude drawing that one of the PAs sketched out on notebook paper moments before filming started! Then the whole thing is resolved because Merlin finds George R.R. Martin hanging out in the park, and he has his ledger with him where he recorded the name and address of a woman who made a $20 cash transaction maybe an hour earlier!

Saint Merlin not recognized by the Catholic Church.

All the Merlin stuff for that half was shoehorned into a heavily cut POS movie the director made in the '70s that ripped off the basic premise of a Stephen King story (evil toy monkey that kills people) and nothing else.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sardonik posted:

'Believe in magic, or I'll kill you"

Come out or I'll review you!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MY REVIEWS HAVE DESTROYED WHOLE CITIES!

I love the increasingly passive aggressive review skit in that episode, too. "Flawless? NO."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

What the hell is Doctor Mordrid? It's got that stench of an early 90s comic book or video game license movie, because it's so loving full of lore, and all the lore is embarrassingly bad. It just feels like one of those movies where the writers thought you had to cram in all the Nouns from the source material's awful lore to make a licensed movie.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

What the hell is Doctor Mordrid? It's got that stench of an early 90s comic book or video game license movie, because it's so loving full of lore, and all the lore is embarrassingly bad. It just feels like one of those movies where the writers thought you had to cram in all the Nouns from the source material's awful lore to make a licensed movie.

It was meant to be a Doctor Strange movie, they lost or couldn't get the license so just filed the numbers off.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Red Warrior posted:

It was meant to be a Doctor Strange movie, they lost or couldn't get the license so just filed the numbers off.

Well there you go.

E:

Oh look, it's bald(er) Mike Stoklasa!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 28, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You know, I've seen The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!! so many times, but if you asked me to describe the plot of the movie, I'm not sure I could. There's a fortune teller? And Ortega? And then 90% of the movie is spent watching bad cabaret acts or riding a roller coaster.

E:

"Leonard Maltin awarded the film two and a half out of a possible four stars (his most widely used rating), complimenting the film's use of colors and haunting atmosphere while criticizing the film's acting, dialogue, and simplistic plot."

The hell?!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 28, 2024

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

All the Merlin stuff for that half was shoehorned into a heavily cut POS movie the director made in the '70s that ripped off the basic premise of a Stephen King story (evil toy monkey that kills people) and nothing else.

And it shows! I'm just thrown by the idea of Merlin - the FAMOUS MAGICIAN - resorting to wandering the streets of suburban California asking strangers "Have you seen my little monkey" and not, I don't know, USING MAGIC. But I shouldn't be surprised that the guy repurposing his 80's child murder movie into a fun family romp doesn't have the best ideas.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"Leonard Maltin awarded the film two and a half out of a possible four stars (his most widely used rating), complimenting the film's use of colors and haunting atmosphere while criticizing the film's acting, dialogue, and simplistic plot."

The hell?!

I can give the movie credit for the hallucinatory sequences being genuinely interesting and effectively disorienting*...but not two and a half stars credit. My Letterboxd review would be half a star and an effusive endorsement of the visuals and capturing a "real" sense of 60's LA, in that it's got no budget so they're clearly stealing location shots and filming in friends' homes.

*(I love Servo's "Mike...I think I'm freaking out!" bit during the one dream sequence. The rapid breathing and panicked yelps; "Did she say 'I'm never Jack'...or am I freaking out?!")

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The hell?!

I've always liked the extended bit during the credits of Laserblast where they look through Maltin's book and compare its rating to actual movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUkMjQuwgDg&t=4350s

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
leonard maltin is a hack fraud

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Tonight, on Old Lady Gets Killed!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Excuse my juicy belches!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

No, Grandpa Borgnine, leave light and hope for me! Please!
Get out from behind that cushion, Billy! It gets worse!

E:

JethroMcB posted:

(Dumb joke I had forgotten about that landed big me on this viewing: The 70's House Dad putting a roast chicken in the oven - "My cake didn't turn out...")

A Mike joke, right? It feels like a Mike joke.

And reminds me of one of my favourite dumb jokes from Horror at Party Beach. The cops pull up to the professor's house. Professor walks out with a pipe in his mouth.

Mike: "Thanks for coming out to help me. My pipe's stuck in my mouth."

The last time I saw the episode that somehow made me laugh so hard I cried, and got me going on all the following jokes for a good five minutes.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 28, 2024

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The hell?!

he rates things according to genre or what they're striving for. it's a 2.5-star lovely movie.

I don't agree that it's a 2.5-star lovely movie, but that's why his 2.5s are all over the place

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You know, I've seen The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!! so many times, but if you asked me to describe the plot of the movie, I'm not sure I could. There's a fortune teller? And Ortega? And then 90% of the movie is spent watching bad cabaret acts or riding a roller coaster.

Thinking about it, the film seems kind of plotless because the fortune teller and her stripper sister and Ortega don't really have a reason they're hypnotizing people into zombies. They just do it. Maybe if the zombies trapped in the fortune teller's tent broke out and went on a small rampage before getting contained again? I feel like this would be a creepy little movie if there was less music hall filler and more back of house and behind the scenes stuff from the carnival.

Fun fact: the actors who played Jerry and the alcoholic dancer Marge were married in real life.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I read something from Siskel or Ebert once where they went into detail of that kind of trading style. Essentially they're rating the movie on what it's trying to accomplish rather than a flat rating system for all movies.

So Bikini Bimbo Massacre and Schindler's List can both be 5 star movies but it's not an apples to apples comparison.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
watched lost continent tonight. rock climbing.

watching all these in sequence it's neat being able to get all the callbacks as they come up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Empty Sandwich posted:

he rates things according to genre or what they're striving for. it's a 2.5-star lovely movie.

I don't agree that it's a 2.5-star lovely movie, but that's why his 2.5s are all over the place

I mean, I can respect that.

Also, what a blessed day. I woke up today thinking I wanted to see Horror of Party Beach, turned on the foreverathon and Horror of Party Beach opening credits were rolling!

"Men, children, grandmas... everyone loves to watch Susie's butt! It's the Susie's Butt Festival!"

"There are girls here and it's upsetting us!"