Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"How to Kill that Spark of Life... Chapter One: Joy, Who Needs It?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
"Like a little kid watching Mystery Science Theater. 'I don't know who Carol Channing is but I like the cadence.'"

Branson Reese

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Empty Sandwich posted:

"Like a little kid watching Mystery Science Theater. 'I don't know who Carol Channing is but I like the cadence.'"

Branson Reese

I firmly believe MST3K is an excellent show to watch to internalize the rhythms of comedy. There's just so many iconic joke deliveries that absolutely nail it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sardonik posted:

I firmly believe MST3K is an excellent show to watch to internalize the rhythms of comedy. There's just so many iconic joke deliveries that absolutely nail it.

good Simpsons is similar. I didn't know who Dick Cavett was when I saw this joke, but it was still funny

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
RIP Lou Gossett Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuuTS_WNw5w&t=58s

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

He was great in The Punisher (1989)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umYvv7K4Z_I

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

No, Grandpa Borgnine, leave light and hope for me! Please!
Get out from behind that cushion, Billy! It gets worse!

E:

A Mike joke, right? It feels like a Mike joke.

And reminds me of one of my favourite dumb jokes from Horror at Party Beach. The cops pull up to the professor's house. Professor walks out with a pipe in his mouth.

Mike: "Thanks for coming out to help me. My pipe's stuck in my mouth."

The last time I saw the episode that somehow made me laugh so hard I cried, and got me going on all the following jokes for a good five minutes.

Sometimes a joke like that will just absolutely flatten me.

How did they decide which riffer delivered which joke? It does seem like there's specific character in them, like Tom says different kinds of things to Crow, Mike says different things to Joel.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
hellcats is utterly incomprehensible. i dare anyone to explain the plot of this film

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joel, what are these films trying to teach us about life?
Well, I guess they're trying to say that we're born, and then we die, and there's lots of padding in between.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mycophobia posted:

hellcats is utterly incomprehensible. i dare anyone to explain the plot of this film

Biker gangs were a popular subculture and Tony Cardoza had enough money to make a film.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

mycophobia posted:

Crime boss uses biker gang to smuggle drugs into the US from Mexico. Leader of biker gang is a police informant, crime boss finds out, kills him. Crime boss then kills the cop the biker gang leader reported to. The dead cop's brother and fiancee pose as bikers to infiltrate the gang, find out who killed the dead cop and why, and then take down the crime boss. Plus a bunch of wacky outlaw biker hijinks.

"No no no-no no!"
"YES!"

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

HopperUK posted:

How did they decide which riffer delivered which joke? It does seem like there's specific character in them, like Tom says different kinds of things to Crow, Mike says different things to Joel.

I believe that one of Mike’s job as head writer was assigning riffs. That said, I have to think there were times when riffs came out in the writer’s room and it was obvious when a joke should go to a particular character.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I enjoy the little puppeteering quirk where Tom will often glance over at the other two after he tells a joke he's particularly proud of to see if they noticed. He's a much more active puppet than he really needs to be considering how hard it'd be to notice on an old-school TV.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
It's always fun to see Crow get destroyed. There was that one time where ended up being just eyes and a burnt frame.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's always fun to see Crow get destroyed. There was that one time where ended up being just eyes and a burnt frame.

rah :hb:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Remember, the death ray is for peaceful purposes only.

Crow getting crushed into a cube is one of my favorite bits as well. I think Tom was going to sell him?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I know people haven't liked the host segments in the revival, but every one of these East Eddie bits in Beyond Atlantis are fantastic.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Lumbermouth posted:

I know people haven't liked the host segments in the revival, but every one of these East Eddie bits in Beyond Atlantis are fantastic.

might be my favorite episode of the revival. definitely my favorite of that season

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Jet Jaguar posted:

Remember, the death ray is for peaceful purposes only.

Crow getting crushed into a cube is one of my favorite bits as well. I think Tom was going to sell him?
Yeah, because Servo thought he was actual gold. I forget which episode but I remember the sketch.

Also: Thighmaster/Thawmaster

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

i find the host segments to be very hit and miss in the whole show. hell i usually skip the opening one altogether

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cowboy Mike's Bold Ricochet BBQ Sauce might be the funniest thing ever written

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

zoux posted:

WELL HELL YES IT'S BOLD

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
NOW AVAILABLE IN EXTRY-BOLD

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
That skit has forever warped how my MSTie friend uses the word 'bold'. He'll always cowboy drawl it out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's also the last time they do the Invention Exchange, I believe (or at least what I was told)

zoux posted:

Actually it's... decidedly un-bold :nallears:

RI-CO-CHEEEET! BAR-BE-QUE SAUUUCE!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
You kids ever read The Ox-Bow Incident?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I have long since made peace with the fact that I'm a Mike guy, but for some reason Joel's comedy outside the context of old MST3K has been actively bugging me recently.

I happened to watch a Cinematic Titanic episode on the Foreverathon yesterday (I haven't seen almost any of them for some reason), and while Frank, Trace, Mary Jo and even J. Elvis were dropping solid riffs, Joel's stuff just seemed so meh for the most part. He had a couple of good ones, but for the most part his lines just weren't funny at all to me. In part it's probably that he's drawing from a reference context that I'm not too familiar with, but so does Frank, so that can't be all of it. Maybe it's the delivery? Maybe my sense of humour is just too different from his?

Are there any real Joel fans here? I'd honestly like to hear differing opinions on what you like about Joel's comedy. My working theory is that he's mainly a prop comic, but maybe not the guy for punchy riffs and jokes, and I definitely admire his ability to make whimsical and wacky props and sight gags for the show.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 31, 2024

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Always sort of assumed Joel aims the comedy so that kids can enjoy it even though some of the references would be too old for them.
Which was needed to get people to watch the show.
Then after the core audience was established, it allowed Mike to go for more adult stuff.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

happyhippy posted:

Always sort of assumed Joel aims the comedy so that kids can enjoy it even though some of the references would be too old for them.

Hmm yeah, you might be onto something here. That's definitely the vibe I got from early episodes, but I always assumed it was done ironically for an adult audience. But maybe not. That's not normally a deal breaker for me either, I definitely like a lot of the simple and whimsical riffs they often bust out.

In any case, Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders is on.

"The rug feels soft on my back, and yet one can't help wondering if more padding might be called for. "

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I prefer Mike's more acerbic riffing style for sure, but I don't know if that's just because I saw a lot of Mike before I ever saw Joel.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

His "not today" delivery during "The Brain" live deserves framing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m a Mike guy and didn’t actually watch the Joel episodes until later (I first discovered the show during the Sci-Fi era) but the latter grew on me over time and I like some of his work outside of MST3K as well

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This dinosaur was found with a head sticking out of its butt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Joel’s delivery was sleepier but more easygoing, Mike’s was snappier but meaner. Both have their time and place. Overall I prefer the Mike years just because that season 8-9 run was so incredible but about just as many of the all-time iconic episodes were Joel’s.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Having seen the Brains on so many of their own projects over the years has given me a really vivid sense of who on the team wrote each joke. I wish there was an MST3K reference page I could fact check because I feel that Frank and Mary Jo in particular have a very distinctive “oh, that person obviously wrote that” voice.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

exquisite tea posted:

Joel’s delivery was sleepier but more easygoing, Mike’s was snappier but meaner.

I definitely noticed this when going from MST to rifftrax; rifftrax is more mean-spirited in general but I do think Mike is just funnier. I used to prefer Joel but the Sci-Fi Mike eps are my favorites. I even love the host segments continuity (which somehow feels out of place in the revival for some reason?)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's remarkable how little effort went into the costuming for Jack and the Giant Bean Stalk.

Or any aspect of it, really.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

🎶 Ice cream bunny

That ice cream bunny

He's made of ice cream

And he's a bunny 🎶

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

exquisite tea posted:

Having seen the Brains on so many of their own projects over the years has given me a really vivid sense of who on the team wrote each joke. I wish there was an MST3K reference page I could fact check because I feel that Frank and Mary Jo in particular have a very distinctive “oh, that person obviously wrote that” voice.

Yeah same. I think I can hear Mike's jokes in other people's mouths too, his style is absurd but specific on the small details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I have long since made peace with the fact that I'm a Mike guy, but for some reason Joel's comedy outside the context of old MST3K has been actively bugging me recently.

I happened to watch a Cinematic Titanic episode on the Foreverathon yesterday (I haven't seen almost any of them for some reason), and while Frank, Trace, Mary Jo and even J. Elvis were dropping solid riffs, Joel's stuff just seemed so meh for the most part. He had a couple of good ones, but for the most part his lines just weren't funny at all to me. In part it's probably that he's drawing from a reference context that I'm not too familiar with, but so does Frank, so that can't be all of it. Maybe it's the delivery? Maybe my sense of humour is just too different from his?

Are there any real Joel fans here? I'd honestly like to hear differing opinions on what you like about Joel's comedy. My working theory is that he's mainly a prop comic, but maybe not the guy for punchy riffs and jokes, and I definitely admire his ability to make whimsical and wacky props and sight gags for the show.

I really dig Joel's vibe, one of my favorite lines of his is the really resigned "Oh I don't know ..." when WARRIOR OF THE LOST WORLD's overdone title pops up after a dumb text crawl. There's something whimsical but melancholic about his delivery.