Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

The Time Dissolver posted:

I hope the writers of the MST3k revival can see that and find a way to recapture it because Rifftrax sure hasn't. It's okay but you can feel every riff being pitched, honed, approved, rehearsed, etc.

Good lord, I'd second this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Rirse posted:

They mocked another movie on Rifftrax called Bahama Triangle that had him playing one of the ship crew. They of course make a lot Puma Man jokes at him.

"Full speed, ahead, I'll make it go faster!" to the tune of the Pumaman theme is one of my favorite MST things of all time.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Republicans posted:

I really enjoyed their increasing despair over the tedium only to be saved by Krankor.

:confused: "Crank-whore?!"

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Get ready for the latest rebooted franchise! Pod People 2: 2 Trumpys 2 Many is gonna be a hit.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

They won't do it because of business reasons, but I wish the Rifftrax guys would come back to the MST3K side. They still have some great lines in 'em, but overall most episodes are pretty hit-or-miss, and they lose something from being audio-only.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Bicyclops posted:

I think a summary is that the sketches weren't really great, but the riffs were great.

Just saw them in DC and can agree. Actual riffing of The Brain was hilarious, but everything about the sketch segments felt forced and awkward and it was really for the best when they ended. The whole thing with the game... didn't work.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Davros1 posted:

This was the one carried by my local video store:

lmao, that looks like an oddly manipulated image of Tibet's Potala Palace in the background?! Turns out the Ziox civilization sank so far into the Earth that they popped out on the other side.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

muscles like this! posted:

It is the second Tuesday of the month so reminder that tonight is another The Mads livestream. Tickets are $10 and you get a download of the show after it ends. Just a reminder, you have to buy a ticket before the show starts (8pm EDT) as you can't buy an archived version after. This month is Night of Shorts 3.

maybe a silly question, but do they have better audio capture now? the first one they did sounded like it was recorded over skype, and it was distracting enough to me that i never ended up watching the entire thing.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Gizmoplex is yet another streaming subscription to pay for, right?

no!*

*yes

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Julet Esqu posted:

One of the highlights of the Hobgoblins stream for me was Joel's protests that Kiss Kicker was actually kind of a good song.

I was watching hobgoblins a few months back for the first time in a while and I... I think he's right.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Diabolik900 posted:

That topic is as elusive as Robert Denby.

Robert Denby, what a turkey. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to clean the hell out of my glasses.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Larryb posted:

That brings up a good question, are there any films that have been on MST3K that at least conceptually could be good movies if they were handled better/differently?

I don't think it would be impossible for Touch of Satan to be... well, at least an okay movie. Murder Grandma, whatshername's weird relationship with her family, the creeping sense that something is off on this farm. It feels like one of the few MST3K movies that doesn't immediately spill a whole bunch of stupid plot points all over the viewer.

But a version with dialogue like "this is where the fish lives" is never gonna be that movie.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Sash! posted:

So the ending of The Blood Waters of Doctor Z.

Catfish Z gets shot, but lurches into the ocean with one of his mystery canisters and the untransformed lady follows him into the ocean.

OK?

I have no idea what that ending means. He sort of got away to, I don't know, make Nazi squid men or something.

he bleeds out, she drowns, SARGASM

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

muscles like this! posted:

There's now an official MST3K app available for Android.

I don't see it on Roku yet, I assume it'll show up there eventually though.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Not saying the Gizmoplex is the bargain of the century or anything, but at least in my experience watching through the Shout app means sitting through the same commercial repeated five times straight every 10 minutes or so.

Yeah I'm glad they're available on shout but watching mst3k interspersed with 500 plays of the same ad for a chain restaurant that doesn't exist in your state played at twice the volume of the show is... not optimal watch conditions imo

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I got nothing on the appletv app—just a loading spinner.

Same thing on the Roku app.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Ruled. Only hint of issue imo was that the riffing seemed significantly louder than the movie in some spots, although maybe that was just my tv or something.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well, here's a sample of what bad bluescreen really looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmy4Wehjz0M

I can't find that tweet about how every clip of doctor who feels like the bullies at a school performing a cruel parody of what nerds like, but this sure as poo poo is that

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

For those who had those audio issues before with the riffs being way louder than the movie, did the new episode address them? Trying to decide whether to watch it now or to wait until the regular release when it's hopefully fixed.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Is anyone else a little hesitant to contribute to the fundraiser based on the quality of the revival seasons?

There's some good stuff in there, and I think the cast is mostly doing a great job. But the audio quality remains fairly lovely on my tv, with the riffs being significantly louder than the movie compared to old mst3k. The delivery also still sounds like a cast trained on live performances - which, to be fair, it kinda is - with a lot of the lines sounding like they're being shouted at the movie. IMO these two issues really combine with each other to make the episodes less fun; mst3k was best when it was mostly delivered like friends cracking jokes on a couch, not performers shouting at a screen. It's hard to explain, but something about the vibe of a lot of the new episodes still feels a little off.

I don't know, I'm on the fence and I still might pay in for this one... but I don't think they're doing themselves any favors with the format of the fundraiser, and the overall quality of revival seasons strikes me as 'pretty good,' not the 'truly great' I would give peak mst3k.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Do you, uh, need some help? Having trouble understanding what we're talking about? What's going on buddy

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

effika posted:

Did they fix the audio issues with the recent live watch-alongs? I couldn't take the super-loud hosts over the quiet movies last season. I haven't check in with the ones recently because it just didn't seem worth getting my hopes up only to find it unlistenable again.

Seems to be highly dependent on how you're watching the show, but for me the hosts went from being roughly 3x as loud as they should be to being maybe 1.5x as loud as they should be. Still pretty annoying, but way better than it was at first.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Light Gun Man posted:

I took an not particularly enamored by most of the newer stuff. it's like...fine? but feels not terribly on the same wavelength I guess?

I think someone earlier in this thread described the vibe of old mst3k as more understated, and I think that's the wavelength I was hoping they'd get back to. NuMST3k is fine, maybe even occasionally verging on good, but it's hard to get psyched to do another crowdfunding thing for a show that's just 'fine.'

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

GO PACKERS! WOOOO! PACKERS WON THE SUPERBOWL!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

NowonSA posted:

Continuing to crowdfund it again and again isn't sustainable though as was just proven.

I don't know if this is the right way to look at it. They took in $5.7 mil in 2015 and $6.5 mil in 2021, both pretty amazing numbers and with 2021 showing a healthy increase over 2015. Pulling in less than half their 2015 numbers in this most recent round isn't a basic sustainability issue imo and more a symptom of two problems: (1) a very lackluster fundraising drive and (2) at least somewhat common concerns over the quality of the show among the sort of people who are most likely to fund it. The first one can probably be fixed pretty easily now that the strikes are over, but the second one is a real issue that I haven't seen them acknowledge in any way.

Only speaking for myself here, but I'd be more than happy to keep pitching in every year or two if the new seasons were great, or at least good - and not 'fine'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

rowsdower