Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mister Kingdom posted:

The unedited version is even funnier. Trace staying in character and screaming never fails to make laugh.

I'm curious how many different ways they've destroyed different Crow puppets, since he does get mutilated a fair bit.

I do remember he gets split in two in the Skydivers (because of industrial arts), and then he does get bombed but I don't think we see him get destroyed. Servo just loses his head all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
All this talk about great host segments and nobody mentions the Canada Bashing Song or Tom Servo's Death Ray (which he has only for peaceful purposes?)

As far as continuing bits, I always liked "Mike, Destroyer of Worlds." I liked how the Bots went from horrified at first, then they were just kind of annoyed the second planet Mike destroyed, then they were just angry when Mike did it a third time.

But look, all I'm saying is that I appreciate someone telling those stinky, lousy, Francophonic bacon-loving bastards that they're country is a piece of --

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe I just never noticed, but Hulu has a bunch of episodes that Netflix doesn’t.

I forgot how much I loved Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

Is there any overlap between Netflix and Hulu? Netflix has the collection of 20 episodes, and then Hulu has a bunch of random episodes, and they've definitely added a bunch over the last few months. Most recently, Mighty Jack and Time of the Apes were added.

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank may be the only film that had a problem with anteaters.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

My favorite is still "they blew up the Hitler building!"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I really enjoy Last Clear Chance. Though that was the short that made me fall in love with the show, so I may be biased. I just love it when the cop loses it, and "are you only dead a little" cracks me up.

I also love the Joel era one about proper grooming - the narrator is just so nasty to that poor woman.

And the cheating short is great. I especially love how the rest of the host segments deal with Crow being a filthy cheater. And how dark that short was.

In all honesty, there's not many shorts that aren't good. Like, I feel like it would be easier to list the shorts I'm not too fond of.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

You know, one thing I hope we get more of with the upcoming season are the juvenile delinquency films. I just watched the Violent Years, and it's the right mix of absurdity and melodramatics to be great for prime riffing.

"She died as she lived, failing algebra."

The apparently foreign plot to ruin classrooms. Which starts with tipping desks over and ends up with 2 murders, 3 people killed.

And a true appreciation for cars turning right.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Another favorite is I Accuse My Parents, although there it's the parents fault. Except it's not because Jimmy is a compulsive liar and winds up with mob ties, like you do.

Basically 50s and 60s morality plays are my jam.

I always get a kick out of "Johnny has another idea for an essay!"

The thing is that none of these films have any sense of humor, so it just ends up with people behaving in an incomprehensible way.

It's like, how did Rebel without a Cause turn out so good.

Fun fact - the observatory in RWAC is also in (at least) War of the Colossal Man and Teenaged Crime Wave.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Paper Kaiju posted:

You do? Because I sure don't.

For content, while I got into MST3K via their giant monster episodes, my favorites are the Italian films. Particularly the spy/crime thrillers i.e. Secret Agent Super Dragon, Danger Death Ray, Operation Double 007, and Diabolik, but also the genre knockoffs like Warrior of the Lost World, Escape 2000, Pumaman, and all of the CC-era Hercules films. I'm really happy that the revival got Starcrash and The Christmas That Almost Wasn't, and really hope they continue to get more for future seasons.

Have you ever seen the Atlantean Interceptors?

It's Italian to the max. Some American actors, a nonsensical story, and it's completely off the wall. I hope they get to riff it someday.

But the Italian films are great because they resemble bigger budget films, but there's something just off about them.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Or Kitten with a Whip, which features 0 cats who engage in S&M.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Does it make you squishy?

Hey, that's going to give me the reds!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Ballz posted:

Pretty sure he hinted the exact opposite. He said this season only has 6 episodes and are meant “to encourage binge watching.”

One thing that hasn’t been touched on much but is a possibility that we may eventually see recordings of the live shows come up. I don’t have the link handy but I remember an interview with Joel saying they did record some shows from the Watch Out for Snakes tour and it was possible they may appear on Netflix at some point. So while not confirmed, that’s something more to keep an eye out for down th road.

Yeah, I think Joel said that doing a shorter season means they can do more seasons faster, since the time to produce episodes would be shorter. So it's likely that additional seasons will come faster.

So you're right, but that's where the other poster was coming from.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Isn't Wild World of Batwoman the one with the short about cheating in front of it?

I think, by some subjective measure, the best episode is Horror of Party Beach. It's such a bad movie, but then you start to think about how absurd the whole thing is.

Think the length of time the monsters have been attacking, and then the numbers of people killed.

Think about the guy looking for sodium, and decides, after all the other chemical distributors were out, to not call the last one. Because it's an hour away.

You know. People dying by the score is one thing, but driving two hours just get the thing that will stop the killings? Nah...

Or when he gets to NYC, he takes a trip around all the landmarks.

You need a movie that's ridiculous and absurd. That's the key.

My favorite riff is "all right! A full tank of gas!"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's odd how he admits to doing hackneyed Southern stereotypes and thinks that's somehow exculpatory.

It's the standard "bad on purpose" excuse a lot of people use. As if intentionally being bad means that it is actually good.

I do stuff in music sometimes, and I know a lot of people who will just say their crappy song is experimental.

Yeah, the drummer is behind because he's messing with our expectations of what a beat is.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Experiments fail.

True. What I meant is that it can be an easy excuse for producing something bad.

Take the Velvet Underground's Murder Mystery. I would classify it as a failed experiment, but it wasn't laziness. You know they aren't lazy by the rest of the album. They made good music. It's just something that doesn't work.

Now, this conversation gets into things like naive art and stuff like that, and it's hard to craft a statement that doesn't have an obvious gap. But I think there's a difference between incompetence and experimental, and it's easy for the former to claim the latter because they don't understand what experimental means.

Manos is a great example of naive art. It fails at being a good movie, but part of what I appreciate about it is just the effort. And some things work, like the Master and Torgo. Those actors actually did a decent job. In the hands of a better script and film maker, they might have had a chance. Or they might have been mediocre. At least we got something that is strangely captivating.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 1, 2018

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

But now where will people go to stream Radar Secret Service?

How will people learn about the power of RADAR?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Ballz posted:

Waffles.

No waffles!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Kiss her, the reel's about to change!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

According to themselves, the Air Force is a bunch of leather-faced, not so bright, and heavy drinking goat-witted speed freaks who poop in their pants and can't make it with women, right?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It's the anniversary of the day the Mads conked a certain young temp worker on the noggin and shot him into space as the sleepy-eyed guy's replacement. Cue many laughs and the most vicious on-line flamewar ever to be waged over the host of a cow-town puppet show ever.

Come on, TV's Frank is the superior side man. The first guy just didn't have Frank's friendly demeanor...

Wait, we're not talking about the same thing...

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I hope the Netflix voice for Tom Servo got a banner like this.

He really did a great job and deserves recognition.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I think Space Mutiny is a great entry point. The movie is interesting enough to watch on its own, and the jokes are mostly on point. Merlin's Shop of Wonders is another great one, especially in the second half when they take a horror film and try to make it appropriate for kids.

Riding With Death is also a lot of fun, and that one is helped because they took two episodes of a TV show to turn into a movie, and it is just crazy.

Finally, The Skydivers is another good entry point. You get a good short, and then you get the most watchable Coleman Francis film. It shows you how bad it can get without being too bad.

And you get a thrilling coffee related side plot. And learn the benefits of the barter system and industrial arts.

And let's not forget Petey Plane!

For the monster movie, I would say Gamera vs Guiron is my favorite. It's like the film is the perfect fit for the show. It moves at a decent pace, the movie is just bonkers, and they have fun with the song. Zigra was my least favorite, but I think that's just because the film lacked any spark and they were mostly going through the motions.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Sanzuo posted:

One of the strongest Mike episodes imo is the first official one, the brain that wouldn't die. It's great, but outdone by eps like final sacrifice, and space mutiny.

One of the strongest Joel eps is right before that, Mitchell.

Mike was pretty strong from the get-go. Season 6 is one of my favorite seasons, but I think it's because he added a new energy to it while he also had the benefit of working with experienced performers and they knew the format of the show. With Joel, it took some time. But by the end of season 2, they got their groove and could knock them out of the park.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I got it: the best introductory episode is Castle of Fun Manchu!

It only goes up from there.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Start at the beginning. Watch it grow from a local TV show to a beloved cable program to one that multiple networks picked up only to not really want it to cult phenom brought back by Netflix.

That's what? Like 300 hours of content?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Eddie Cochran as well. He appeared in a movie in season one. He was an early rock musician.

He died tragically young, and he had some popular songs like Summertime Blues. Paul McCartney knew how to play one of his songs, and that's why John Lennon invited him to play in his band.

So yeah, he also helped formed the Beatles, in a roundabout way.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

What about Little Richard? And then there was that woman who sang the Book of Love, who if I remember correctly, was the lead singer of The Teddy Bears, who sang "To Know Him is to Love Him".

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Master Ninja is so bizarre. Lee Van Cliff is a great actor, but is not a good fit for that role.

But it does have one of my favorite riffs - "the tranquility of post-war Japan?"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

It's quiet on this side of the tub.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Okay, The Screaming Skull is my new low-key favorite episode nobody talks about.

That man, never finishes anything!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

It's Donald Trump and he's chasing the bad guys away. That doesn't make any sense.
- it makes perfect sense.

Not, you never know which jokes will still land 30 years in the future.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Julie Driscoll sings the opening song. She had a really amazing rendition of This Wheels on Fire, which I think was the first version ever released.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Alright, my money is on Bloodlust being next!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Definitely not Diabolik, they don't have the rights to that one.

They released it on DVD earlier this year in the final volume.

I just rewatched The Beast of Yucca Flats. I love it when Kevin loses it - very subtle, but it sounds like he breaks character after the final flag on the moon riff, and in a Sotto voice goes "what the hell is that?"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

It makes sense, the bots ran Mike through a bunch of practice movies before he did his first real experiment.

They even made him run through the Beast of Yucca Flats a season before the episode aired!

That was cruelty to Mike, make him watch it twice.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I think about the fast paced riffs - when they stood out to me the most, it sounded like a stand-up bit - like all the sudden they go on a slightly extended riff about something. So you had the pacing issues but also the content issues.

That's just my observation. The only thing I'm a little down about with the new season is the fact that the episodes have one less host bit. But hey, maybe it works really well? I rather have two host segments in a movie that are really good than 3 were Mike claims to be Urkle.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Or an Asylum flick. That might be the movie I'm 'worried' about the most in the Gauntlet. (And I'm sure it'll be fine, but Asylum movies are just so dull. They're like Corman films without the charm of Beverly Garland.)

Corman films are "great." There's usually some ideas that is executed poorly, but with love, because he's going for some metaphor or parable. He made cheap films quickly, and he tried to give them something different.

Asylum is just trying to make quick films. Like Sharknado was just boring and bland. It seemed like the sole reason for existing was the absurd idea, but it just never really did anything.

Plus, Corman gave us The Undead, a film with no zombies but lots of bizarre medieval speech.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Peacoffee posted:

Oh. Well, yay! Seemed more of a deathknell suddenly, but that’s much more promising.

Another reason was that doing 14 at once was really tough on them. They have a limited time to shoot everything, and you also don't get any feedback. They only did 14 because of all the money they got from Kickstarter.

Plus, with their fanbase, they could probably self fund the show and keep it going.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I mean, the movie is there to sell so many brands, but then they do it with the absolutely most horrifying creatures known to man. Like, they just look creepy. You know those bizarre fetish videos on YouTube? It's something somebody would craft for those.

Then you have this kids movie where all this dark hosed up poo poo is happening. Like, check out the Japanese VHS version for how this film was supposed to have things go down.

And then you don't get enough of the "cute" alien being cute.

I can't imagine this film being anything but something somebody released because the money was already spent. Even a pure corporate controlled film would be more appealing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

mangler103 posted:

I think the current directive is it has to be in widescreen. That cuts out almost everything from the black and white era.

There's plenty of black and white films that are in widescreen. I know that Regal Pictures was contracted by Fox to produce widescreen content since theater owners were scared of another 3D debacle, where they buy equipment that doesn't take off.

And the head of Regal was Lippert - the man who gave us King Dinosaur.

So, it's possible. I'm guessing we may never see a black and white film because there's so much from the 80s and 90s that they can easily do. But I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

If they can ever get a cameo from Frank, Trace & Mike, then they'll have gotten the complete collection! I never got the impression there was bad blood between Joel and anybody, it could happen.

Back in 2016, Rifftrax hosted an MST3K reunion, that featured Joel, the Mads, and was hosted by Jonah Ray. And then Rifftrax is selling downloadable copies of the new show. So it sounds like everybody is supportive of each other. But people are also busy and there's a lot going on.

I know Bill actually tweeted a year back or so about Joel, in response to a tweet he did a few years earlier. Basically, Shout brought back the Turkey Day marathon, and Bill was ambivalent about it because he hadn't gotten paid for MST3K in a long time. And then I guess in the interim, Joel got back control of MST3K, and made sure everyone got paid fairly. And Bill sent out a series of tweets that were like "Joel is really cool and great and did something really good for everyone."