Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I imagine he also wanted a clean start for the reboot. New cast, new set crew, new writing team.

Yeah, I can see that. I think Joel was looking to the future and the idea of having MST3K live on, which means a new crew would have to take over.

Plus, with anything like this, it's going to generate some tension. People may feel that they're being passed over, or they don't like the changes, or whatever. It doesn't matter if it's a TV show or a workplace or a band or a crime ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Gavok posted:

I think one of my favorite bits in this season is Jonah completely losing his poo poo during the explosions in Mac and Me. That was the same moment that completely broke my fiancee as she covered her eyes and yelled, "WHAT ARE YOU MAKING ME WATCH?!"

That was one of my favorite moments. I had to rewind that moment just to observe it again.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

That whole movie -

One question - did the continuity director go out to lunch?

I loved how the bar in New Orleans is suddenly also in Manhattan. Or the one woman is wearing a salmon shirt inside the base during the first attack, but during the helicopter ride, she's wearing the blue shirt she would be wearing during the attack on Manhattan. Or Treach has the band on his head in one shot, and then it's not there the next!

I also love how none of the military guards are prepared to deal with someone holding a gun to the admiral's head. Like, the look on their face is one of confusion, shock, and panic. It's like - weren't you trained for this? Aren't you also armed with heavy weaponry. And why would the president order a nuclear strike and not talk to the guy running the whole organization, but instead, only to Geist. Unless it's meant to be some sort of conspiracy, but I didn't really pick up on that... but that could also have been edited out from the show.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I mean, you can ask the actor come in sober, or you can be creative.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Best part of Lords of the Deep: the second unit director of photography did the cinematography for Steven Speilberg's movies.

If I understand correctly, he was fired from Lords of the Deep for shooting footage that was too good.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But you gotta stay on the horn, the General wants to talk to you! :mil101:

I think the writer was legitimately proud of "get on the horn."

He's like, hey, I'm writing this cheap movie that basically just needs to be a step above a bunch of crayon drawings made by a 5-year-old, but this is a great line. I should use this more often. Maybe this can be my "streets ahead."

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Davros1 posted:

You've never heard the phrase "Get on the horn"?

I've heard it, but rarely as often as this film.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

The worst protagonist is Mitchell.

Think about it, he's a cop with an appetite... For justice... Whoops. No. Sorry. Forget that part about justice.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Liberal Idiot posted:

I'm convinced they used the same "cockpit" set for all three robots, just using one of those remote-control color-changing Christmas light strands from Target behind them.

It's also the same set for the "submarine."

I still love how at the climax, when the guy with the eyepatch holds a gun to Admiral "Get on the Horn," all the other soldiers on guard and armed with machine guns are just looking panicked and confused.

Like, I understand why you might not shoot the guy.

Also, I love how the cell is clearly just a spare office. Like, that thing is massive.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Compendium posted:

It's Christmas Eve on this side of the world, time to binge watch all the Christmas episodes.

Santa Clause - the cause of so many nightmares

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

He was also in the running for Woody from Cheers.

Imagine the potential for a Frasier/MST3K crossover.

We missed out. We got a good deal overall, but it could have been an 11 out of 10 instead of a 10 out of 10.

There was a point where Joel was poised to become an actor and break into some big things. But if I recall, it just wasn't what he wanted. In the end, he made a great comedic franchise, so I feel like he made the right choices.

Except I still want Frasier on the satellite of love.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

At, Jungle Goddess.

I loved how the one white guy just starts killing people indiscriminately, but because he's white and they're not, it's ultimately okay and their reasonable response to a wanton murderer is not portrayed as such in the movie.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

oh no i just watched 'The Days Of Our Years' short

So his name is Joe... Joe?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

So according to the Bible, there's only 70 days in a year?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I kind of like the Roger Corman movies, because he tries to do something different. He's also talented enough that if you give him five dollars, he will make something that looked like it costed him 10.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

You guys are thinking of Agent from H.A.R.M. I'm going to have to threaten you with the tiny sausage gun now.

Are you coming or am I swimming alone?

Yes, and yes.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Paper Kaiju posted:

I love how no one on that cover remotely resembles the character they're representing.

But it's the Rosdower that I see in my heart.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

My favorite part is how they bragged about showing it to active service members overseas first during WWII.

Why do they hate America?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Is it me, or is 12 to the Moon an underrated episode. You got a crazy short coupled with a film featuring beach chairs, invisible glass on the helmet, and a stereotypical treacherous French man.

What is there not to love?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

This time we've only got ten episodes of the old MST3K on Netflix (US):

The Day the Earth Froze
Hobgoblins
The Beatniks
Sinister Urge
Bride of the Monster
The Incredibly Strange Creatures etc.
Gunslinger
Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell
The Beast of Yucca Flats
The Atomic Brain

Did they pull down Manos and Space Mutiny? I remember the last time, they took down half of the episodes and left the rest up.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I'm excited that the Beast of Yucca Flats in included. After all, why not watch one of the most spitefully hateful films ever produced?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

ringu0 posted:

Speaking of complete MST3K collections, are two Anniversary editions and a Turkey Day box necessary to complete one? Or these episodes will appear on the regular volumes later?

They are all featuring unique episodes. The only exception is that 25th anniversary features Mitchell and The Brain that Wouldn't Die as a bonus, and Shout may have issued one of those films as a single.

You'll also need the singles for Red Zone Cuba and The Wild World of Batwoman and Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

It's hard for me to get outraged at The Violent Years just because the scene is done so badly. Like maybe if anyone in the scene had actually shown any emotion at all it would have been different but the guy is barely put out by the impending attack.

I watched that episode and it didn't really strike me as offensive. I think a big part of it was that the movie wasn't going for horror or any kind of emotional pay off but rather just titillation. It's a male fantasy.

And I didn't realized that some people could consider Eskimo impolite. Like, I never heard it before now. I do cringe a little when they shorten Gypsy's name, but I know it's just an unfortunate coincidence (although some people do consider even the full term to be a slur, but like a lot of these things, it depends on who you ask).

Edit: https://www.uaf.edu/anlc/resources/inuit-eskimo/

So it looks like it depends. In Canada and Greenland, they don't like it, and in Alaska, they are okay with Eskimo.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 18, 2019

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

But it does have the guy who, for whatever reason, was staying in the hallway.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

MST3K is an appreciation society. They're rarely unfair to the movies, they just have fun with them. A movie like Time Chasers is ridiculous. But through that show, how many people have a fond appreciation for a movie that dares to show us the food court of the future!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Honestly, the only ones I can think of that were truly mean were the Joe Don Baker movies.

Well the word on the street is he's a jerk.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

So what's the darkest episode, in terms of riffs. I watched the Painted Hills last night, and Jesus, it got really dark in places. Especially with all the poisoning and murder going around.

Who knew Lassie was a cold blooded killer.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

The Incredible Melting Man is the most nihilistic movie they’ve done hands down and I once cleared a room of party guests by putting that episode on

Frankly, I want to see the Credible Melting Man.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Just rewatched girls town. It’s amazing.

It’s got some amazing performances, awesome caged heat Catholicism, and some great riffs.

“You get it! In Kookoo town there’s no hit parade.”

Let me get my nun and teen idol out of here.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Also, all the Crows go for a nasally voice, so they have a similar profile. Josh's Servo had a very deep, but slow voice. Kevin was a little higher pitched, but very much a mix of affable and bombastic. Hampton is in between the two in terms of pitch, but is closer to Kevin's in terms of personality.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I went to go look up the tour information and it's blocked at work for being a security risk. What is Gizmonic up to?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I'm still weirded out by their never once mentioning how the effects for that movie were just stolen directly from the 1978 Battlestar Galactica tv show. Have they ever explained that (legal issues, pressure from SciFi, etc.)? For a team so adept with detail and obscure references, that seems like a huge oversight.

They just didn't recognize it until after the episode aired.

Nobody's prefect.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Failson posted:

As depressing as the Coleman Francis troika is, High School Big Shot is so relentlessly depressing, misogynistic, and hateful. It's just the worst. Everyone but the colorful safe-cracker is awful.

Fact - the lead in the film died before the movie was released. It was the final film he worked on.

You know, in case you didn't want the movie to be any more depressing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I can't figure out what mixed audio, both channels mean.

It annoys me. During the Comedy Central run, the show was done in mono, so both channels shouldn't refer to stereo, but maybe I'm wrong?

Except about the show being in mono. It wasn't until Sci-Fi that it switched to stereo.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

Okay, I'm not too far along with the new series, just got done with the Time Travellers episode, sketches have been pretty good, but by christ do the ever learn to give there riffs room to breathe? It feels like they're trying fill in as much dead air as humanly possible and they're so lengthy it's like I'm watching a Cinema Sins video, which is not a good thing.

Season 2 gets a lot better.

I think it's a side effect of doing the voices pre-recorded, and also this idea that you had to have more jokes than the old episodes. Do it got to a point where it sounded unnatural. Like Jonah would say something, and immediately, Crow would build on that at a million miles a minute.

Season 2 is fast, but it doesn't come off as Pierce riffing on Kick Puncher 2 in Community.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yeah, there's not a LOT of jokes that get me in "what were they thinking" mode, but the ones that do... whoof.\

Example: All the male rape jokes from "The Violent Years".

Eh, that one doesn't bother me so much since the film is clearly going for titillation and they're keying into the fact that this is a male fantasy. But that's not to start an argument.

The only time I ever felt like they went too far was the beginning of The Incredibly Strange Creatures... where the jokes at the beginning...

It wasn't even funny to begin with.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

There's a host segment where they're arguing over who would be a better dad between Marvin Gaye's father and Bill Cosby.

Oddly enough, that's the joke that aged the worst, in an episode about female wrestling and the two robots getting married.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Daddy-O
The Girl in Lovers Lane (Vix, I did it again!)
The Giant Gila Monster.
The Violent Years (she died as she lived, failing algebra)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Sash! posted:

Racket Girls at least has a reasonably sane premise and mainly fails on the execution and production quality, which is more than you can say for many of the other 50s movies riffed.

I'm not sure what the hell Batwoman is even supposed to be about, for example. Small timer that fixes women's wrestling matches gets too big for his britches and runs afoul of the mob is practically the Godfather by comparison.

Batwoman is supposed to be about attractive women.

The plot is secondary.

Like distant second.

Like the distance between Earth and the farthest visible object in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I think Mike had that quiet, angry rant about his mom taking him to a shoe store opening instead of Woodstock, that was great.

One of my favorites is Mike talking about the time he went on a fun run or a hike and it is just filled with embarrassing details.

Also, the space children gave us the Satellite of Love TV show, and it's Spanish counterpart.