Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"Hot bathysphere action" kills me every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I'm still confused as to how Jimmy having absentee parents caused him to write bad checks and get involved with the mob.

Since I assume the target audience was parents, the idea would be that even something that simple could produce a bad kid to make decent parents work harder and have it be a weaksauce problem so that bad parents might feel ashamed in comparison.

Space aliens writing it based on old Highlife magazines makes way more sense.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brain Guy is entirely worth it for "When loving lovers love"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait, who was the dude in the purple Gizmonic institute outfit at the end of Carnival Magic?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

duz posted:

There were 30 some kickstarter backers who bought cameo spots, I assume that's one of them?

Ah, that is likely the answer to the question.

The Howie scream instead of Wilhelm scream joke killed me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The whole season cost $6 million to make, and it costs Netflix $100 million per episode for Marco Polo. I gotta think Netflix will order more seasons.

Its $10 million for Marco Polo, because god drat imagine what $100 million per episode could buy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crazy Ferret posted:

That actor understood what kind of movie he was in and played it to perfection. The ridiculous cape fluttering behind him whenever he moved was just great.

There is no way to find out what ratings/views certain things get on netflix is there? I legit curious to see how well MST3K is doing cause I'm surprised by the media coverage I've seen. The reviews for this show have all been very positive from what I've seen that is.

Yeah they hide it which has begun to worry film makers and such because netflix currently doesnt share that information with them either, so theyre entirely at the behest of Netflix and thus limited when negotiating.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ballz posted:

I legitimately enjoyed it on its own. It's one of those "Yeah it's bad, but it's still fun to watch" kind of b-movies. Always felt that way about The Magic Sword and maybe a handful of other episodes, too.

I think they called out The Magic Sword as pretty watchable in its own right in the Encyclopedia. Its definitely the best Burt I Gordon film in existence.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bruteman posted:

What I really appreciated about that movie is that once the opening credits end, it wastes no time getting the protagonists underground. Kind of refreshing actually.

Yeah, like in the Land That Time Forgot there is a ton of boat intrigue but here, drink your liquor, lets bore into the earth like there wont be a tomorrow was well appreciates.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

There's like a lot more weed jokes now too or am i just forgetting old ones? I know it happened SOMETIMES before.

There is an epsidoe where the bots keep ragging on mike that the potsmokers habits should remind him of his past behavoir.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So we're all in agreement that if they get another season:

Jonah created a clone of himself, made the clone wear the tattoo, then while the wedding was going on the original went for a spacewalk on the Satellite of Love with the suit he built

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Joel explicitly says he gets a "shock to the shammies"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thanks new season, for making me look up and then get lost in a wikipedia hole learning how astronauts pee in a spacesuit to figure out one throwaway host segment line.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The writer of the film was the "lawyer" and somehow he still gave himself absolutely nothing to do. The whole film is so greasy and creepy and weird and yet I think it's my favorite Christmas MST3k.

This just makes everything more confusing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Where Oh Werewolf is still my favorite song in the show and I find myself humming it every once in a while

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Roach Warehouse posted:

Prior to the revival I'd only seen a handful of MST3K episodes. After finishing it, I thought I'd see what Netflix had to offer for the original series.

I just finished Manos. I think I need to lie down.

Go watch the youtube channel, they all come with anotations for jokes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

In fact, the only time it really seems to come up is at the beginning, when he fumbles around his office and we determine that he isn't, in fact, a very good lawyer, and is really better at being a baaaaaaaaayby!

It comes up vaguely when Prune shows up at the north pole, but again this is a film that hinges on a victim of a clerical error plotting to bankrupt Santa Claus

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im good Dr. F.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

B Natural is basically every woman who ever played Peter Pan, except with a bizarre cartoon voice, so if that does it for you then, uh... fly your freak flag high, I guess.

Mary Jo talking about how all of them were scarred forever by watching Mike make out with Bridget while she was dressed as Mr. B Natural is a haunting image even in story description form.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do not know why but the exchange about "And Clawful would give me my first taste of beer" "I dont want you hanging around clawful anymore" is probably my favorite non song host segment line.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Announce season 13 you sick bastards. Im jonesing for even more!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think without backer credits this time theyll be able to squeeze in a short for an episode or two, and or have longer host segments.

Basically Im excited as hell for more mst3k and I eagerly await the day my children tell me the best host was clearly xxWeedGokuxx, a pubg chat bot that gained sentience.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Burkion posted:

I mean, you don't get much more gradual change than nearly two decades off the air

If youre streaming them in order you go from replacing one cast member at a time/introducing them one at a time and a linear improvement in production values to a jump to all new people in every single role and a new look for the ship. Its a ship of theseus but instead of going plank by plank you just refurbished the whole darn thing.

New season is great, for the record.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I absolutely loved S11, and I think it helped almost all the films were really watchable on their own without tons of just ambling filler time that plagued older seasons.

The tripadvisor joke destroyed me as did the final riff of Carnival Magic.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want some shorts with Season 12, and i want them now!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

I tried Lost Skeleton of Cadavra and the sequel, but mostly felt the pacing was off. Several bits just dragged on too long.

The best "intentionally bad" thing I've ever seen is still Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

I think Darkplace works really well because a) its aiming for comedy and b) it constantly acts like they lost footage or parts of episodes to get away with cutting down to just the funniest bits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Good Lord, the RiffTrax Twitch stream is unwatchable. Twitch Prime doesn't eliminate commercials anymore, and they have 30 seconds of commercials every 3 minutes. It's obscene.

It is horrific. I used to just have that in the background and now no way

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Moon Zero Two is almost a good heist movie and as such I love it even without the riffing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Did anyone else mistake which World War Land that Time Forgot was supposed to be set during?

I watched the film like 4 times and every time I have to remind myself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, best episode of season 1 and probably the best quality film they ever did

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The lead in Lords of the Deep has resting sorrow face and given her argument none of them should leave I was expecting the twist, even as the end monolog bullshit was happenig, that ger goal was to kill all humans

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atlantic Rim is the weakest of the films because nobody seems to want to be making the movie, even the lure of a paycheck holds no sway. Its bad in a way where the the entire cast and crews lack of enthusiasm shines through.

Killer Fish is a weird movie, it feels like originally it was a series of double crossing heist bits and then budget got cut so they had to stretch out the fish based one to carry a third of the movie.

Watching The Day Time Ended and Lords of the Deep back to back results in getting the same hippy bullshit ending twice in a row, and caused me to notice all the riff joke doubles like the eat lightning and crap thunder

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When is Season 13? 6 episodes isn't enough to tied me over, I'm jonesing here!

I'm still very confused by Ator because there was obviously budget and effort put into making an overarching plot with repeating, identifiable bad-guys but none of it matters and there are long stretches of the film where they're just like, fighting in a bar because thats what happens in bars but its not a film made out of stitching other failed sword and sandal movies together it just feels like one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The third Ator film retcons basically everything from the first two and pissed off the original director enough he came back to make a fourth one which retconned the third one

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Doesn't the second movie ignore everything that happened in the first after the summary?

It does in a general sequel sense, not in a "Ators 50 words in the film are mostly talking about the brother he grew up with alongside his biological parents and the events of the first two films didnt happen at all"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait, are we supposed to believe he actually has a bad heart? I thought that was supposed to be another con.

And yeah, I think youre supposed to assume Lee Majors character ripped the valve off the dingy with his bare hands.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I think it's more that it's an easy label to describe him. He definitely states he was faking the heart condition as he starts rowing away.

This is why you never trust amateur horrible people.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It's one of the 'if you're going to watch S1 watch this episode' episodes.

I feel like Robot Holocaust is that movie for me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Do we know if Ator is based on a book series?

It is not, it was made whole cloth to cash in on the Conan film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mace Bacon posted:

My favorite Season One episode is Moon Zero Two.

I forgot that was Season 1. I love love love that episode.