Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

To be honest, poorly.

I'd like to see Foodfight as a Rifftrax Live event personally. If only because then they can give it the R-rated teardown that loving piece of poo poo deserves.

I wonder how "blue" the new MST3k will go. I'm guessing not at all (which is fine) but maybe to the level of the MST3k movie with the occasional 'poo poo' thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

I think the beeping they do on Rifftrax is funnier than actually hearing the swears.

Watched the Kingdom of the Spiders Rifftrax on Hulu, and hearing Mike give out a long, angry "You're BEEPing kidding me" after Shatner explained the origins of his character's name of "Rack" is one of the funniest things I've heard.

That's true though they do curse sometimes. I know Kevin dropped the F-bomb in that one Christopher Walken movie.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

I'm watching the Mitchell episode on their official YouTube channel. Is there a way to turn off the annotations?

There should be a "Settings" cog. Click on that and there should be an option to turn off annotations. I can't say it will apply to this case but in general it should work.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BooDoug187 posted:

Could go the rifftrax method of doing really loud and long bleeps, making a simple cuss seem more graphic.

Did they ever do that in a regular MST3k? Want to say they did. Also, for the record I don't want them to go 'blue' I was just curious if they would considering the venue and writers. I think MST3k being a show that the whole family could enjoy is what helped it. Though I still wouldn't say 'dickweed' in front of my mother.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Just the one skit during Mike's trial where Crow supposedly drops a bajillion f-bombs.

Oh yeah. That was a good one.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Monster A Go-Go is so terribly, legitimately bad that I think they could have ended the experiment right there. It's unwatchable with the crew making fun of it as it is.

This is one of my favorite Joel Eps.
"Brrrnnng"
"There was no monster"
I would riot if I saw this in the theater back in the day but as an MST3k it's great.

Also, "Joel...the Pina Colada song?"

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Remember when they tried to make Ortega the new Torgo?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hey I like Ortega.
I tried to use Hobgoblins to introduce my wife and it took her two years to give the show another shot.

Sever.
I feel like Giant Spider Invasion is a good intro. It's a B-movie but also has Alan Hale. Everyone knows Skipper!
I think it helps to know who you're exposing to the show. Some might love classic b-movies like Revenge of the Creature or Monster A-GoGo. But I think some might also respond to the 70's movies like Riding With Death or Codename:Diamondhead (Lovejoy!).

Some of my personal favorites are Night of the Blood Beast and Incredible Melting Man.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 24, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

You could really impress them of you found a working dot matrix printer and tread-lined paper for it.

I honestly looked for this earlier today but gave up pretty quickly. There was a pic of Kevin holding it up somewhere.

Also, I though Bill did a pretty good job of sounding like Crow.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

It would have been fun to do for their fan mail thing at the panel yesterday, unless Joel didn't remember it happening and just thought somebody was a huge jerk.

Maybe they're saving it for episode 2 or 3. Jonah finds it buried somewhere. Tom has no clue what it means.

Or best Kevin and Bill are Tom and Crow for the beginning of episode one and it has to change over to Baron and Hampton for some reason.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

On that note, what are some MST'd movies that you all think wouldn't be half bad if it wasn't for a few minor tweaks? (This Island Earth excepted.)
I've always thought Red Zone Cuba had an interesting, compelling story underneath all of Colman Francis' ineptitude. And I've definitely said it before but I think it'd be a great Quentin Tarantino movie.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Does any other movie exceed High School Big Shot in miserableness? It's made worse by the fact that the star died in a car crash and his body wasn't found for weeks afterward.

A Million Bucks!

I do love how Depressing Dad come back in Teenage Werewolf as pretty much the same character.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

I imagine getting a letter asking you if it'd be alright to mst3k your movie must've been a lot like getting a phone call from Weird Al asking if he could parody your movie

I suppose but Weird Al parodies everyone. If Weird Al covers one of your songs it's not because they're bad. Besides Michael Jackson's "Bad". MST3k on the other hand goes for movies that are, as the song goes, "cheesy" and "the worst [they] can find". That said, I think most people know when they have a bad movie on their hands and would be fine with being riffed. Except for Joe Don Baker. It exposes them to a much bigger audience than they could ever hope for and I know I don't really judge the people for making a bad movie.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 26, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just hope they do shorts. Didn't they kinda wane in the latter seasons? They don't have to worry too much about running time while on Netflix so I hope they have some in the new version.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Command Ant posted:

If they do shorts, I hope they dip into the deep well that is 80s anti-drug shorts. Granted, they're usually longer than the 10-minute shorts from the 50s that they usually used, but they'd definitely be a goldmine for the show.

I'd be happy with a 3 or 4 short episode but that's asking a lot. I know they've done 2 shorts and a movie.

There's just something so ridiculous but earnest about a lot of shorts.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Is there any word on if it'll be one major dump of episodes, or if they're going to do the Chelsea Lately thing and put out an episode a week for 14 weeks?

As much as I love binge watching, I kinda like the idea of getting one a week to build the surprise of what will come next. Watching a new MST3k was a Saturday morning ritual for me, sadly cut short by becoming a fan during the last tumultuous season.

I dunno why but I feel like once a week is better. Maybe it's the length of eps. Or maybe that (based on previous MST3ks) the 'storyline' isn't that important. I can see feeling the need or want to go straight into another "Orange..." or "House of Cards" or whatever. MST3k rarely ever had any cliffhangers or pressing need to go from one episode to another. I mean, later on they kinda did but it wasn't Breaking Bad levels of, "I need to now what's next!"

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

If I had to pick one Rifftrax one to be tackled by Jonah and the bots, it'd probably be One Got Fat, because jesus...

(Coffeehouse Rendez-vous is also up there, but more in a baffled bemusement that a whole 10 minute film was made about this subject)

I think it'd be a little weird for MST3k to tackle shorts/movies that Rifftrax did (and that goes for the other way around). That said some movies/shorts are so "classic" and notorious that they go beyond one show and become open fodder for everyone. "One Got Fat" definitely fits in that category.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Rifftrax actually has gone back and done multiple things that were from MST3K. Cinematic Titanic also redid that horrible Santa Claus and the Martians movie.

I know they have and they always felt weird to me. The Manos Rifftrax wasn't as fun as the original. I could tell when they were avoiding the MST3k jokes.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

One Got Fat is a national treasure of riffability and deserves to be on MST3K

Agreed. What other shorts/movies count?
Plan 9?
Birdemic?

I think the new MST3k will stay away from movies that were already done. At least for the first season or two. What would work would be a classic reriffed for a Thanksgiving release or as an extra in some way but not in season. I think Joel would really want to get the new MST3k on a solid footing before going to something that has been done. And to be fair the new MST3k doesn't have to do that where as with Rifftrax it may have been a smart move to try to recapture old fans with previous riffs. I feel like that was a runonsentance.

Edit: Shake Hands with Danger?

I'm surprised there hasn't been a "welcome to the internet!" type short from the early 90s. Didn't Jennifer Aniston do a Microsoft one?

Edit 2: It was Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGYcNcFhctc

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 3, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

In the Episode Guide, I think this was the movie they admitted was the first one where they made a conscious decision to have all the skits not be about the movie, since there wasn't anything in the movie to base skit on in the first place.

I can't remember what movie that was from. Monster A Go Go? Fire Maidens? I know I've seen it recently.

It reminds me of when Mike went to get popcorn in "...Batwoman"

E: It was Monsters A Go Go.

Speaking of skits I just remembered Timmy from Fire Maidens. I just know that had an unpainted Crow and was like "He looks evil, let's use that."

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 4, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

I want to say that Timmy was the theater Crow puppet because those are painted black.

Yeah, that sounds familiar now. I miss my Amazing Colossal Episode Guide.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

My favorite thing about One Got Fat is I actually watched it on a field trip back in the 80s. There was a park that had a "Safety Town" - a kid-sized town (with driveable cars!) where they'd teach you how to cross streets and bike and drive safely. When my class went, it was raining pretty heavily. So all the outdoor stuff was cancelled, and we sat inside and watched that short.

It all felt vaguely familiar once I saw the Rifftrax, and once it hit the "monkey girl knocks old ladies up a tree" scene, I remembered the whole trip. I never did get to go back and drive the little cars.

Oh, and my dad was a police officer for the City of Glen Cove for years, when I showed him the What if We Had a Fire? short, he recognized the fire station. And the firefighter with no lines (I think he hands the kid the plastic hat) was actually someone who worked there. The other guy was an actor though.

The short "Alcohol Trigger Films" was set in various spots near where I used to live. I was kinda weird recognizing all the spots. Some are still there.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And wasn't John Saxon in the movie? What the hell happened there??

If i remember right they randomly kill him off and you only hear about it through a background radio news report. I want to say it was a dune buggy crash or something.
Maybe there was a scene cut from the MST3k version.

Edit: Yeah, it's on the car radio when Mitchell pulls up right before the scene where he freaks out on the kid. It's barely noticeable.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 7, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yeah. I just watched it. It's actually not that bad of a scene though it does go on too long. Essentially they try to kill Michell by running over him with some dune buggies. One of the cars gets stuck and the driver gets out and Mitchell smashes him in the face with a rock. It's fairly brutal. I can see removing it though. It's long it's mostly Mitchell dodging the buggies. It would have been hard to riff on.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think they needed the excuse that Tripolydine was the cause of any explosions/fire. Any evidence of arson would raise a red flag. But if they find out Tripolydine is unstable and explodes easily then it could just be assumed it was a tragic mistake.

Though in retrospect, if Tripolydine is unstable then it's pretty useless as a fuel additive. Was the plan then? I can't remember. Insurance fraud? How would he collect if he's supposedly dead? All I remember is "$10 million dollars, Luther. 10 mil."

E:VVV Oh yeah. Now it's coming back to me.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 10, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

I think the strangest Corman film they riffed was Night of the Bloodbeast, because almost to the end it seems to be a neat twist on the Alien Interloper movie, and then "wait, the studio says we need to kill the alien. Okay, bombs away!"

NotBB is my favorite MST3k.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQZoQdNXCdc

"Well we had to snap him in two like a frozen dog to get him out of the space capsule"

I still regret losing my copy of the special thanksgiving edition.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I hadn't seen this mentioned: Trace and Frank have started a movie podcast called Movie Sign With The Mads. They're only five episodes in but it's been really good so far. It's not really a "bad movie" podcast as much as they pick a movie, then talk about it, its genre, and related films.

I think someone mentioned it before earlier in this thread or another but there's no harm in bringing it up again. I'm just diving into their talk about the Warriors and it's pretty good so far. I was a little turned off by Trace being on a phone line but they all deal with it pretty well.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HungryMedusa posted:

Yeah I really love that episode; everything about it.

Steves don't preach, I'm in trouble deep!

I still have the Thanksgiving version somewhere. Potatoes v stuffing is great and Bridget as Mr B is pretty much the only thing I've liked her in.

She was ok as Nuveena. Or however that's spelled.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think she'd look that bad bald.

My well oiled chassis is coming up on your backside

My rigid grill structure is bearing down on your unprotected cargo door.

My oft complimented Peterbilt is rhythmically nudging that sweet honeypot of yours

Drained and satisfied I'm tracing lazy circles on your supercab now.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BooDoug187 posted:

Hey, so he took shop at Harvard.

He lands a goddamn 747 in the pilot. Pilot episode I mean.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

The industrial arts teach many valuable skills that you can use in a variety of ways. Don't you remember the short?

Oh I do. Just before Skydivers. But I'm blanking on the 747 part. Maybe that falls under "tool operator"

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What rhymes with 'blue balls'?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Marines, we are leaving!!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cheating is bad. Richard Basehart is good.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"The Champion's Blue Ribbon goes to a girl"
The cows are furious!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
nvm

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 4, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

Maybe it was goofy carpet monster vs tall scarred looking guy monster.

I think you'll remember that there was no monster in Monster A Go Go.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah yes, that's the one where the kid accuses his parents. A good example of the meandering style of movie from the 40s.

Also a good bit of it was sampled in the Ministry song "So What". It's alway a bit jarring when you hear the original source of a sample "in the wild" as it were. I know, I'm old.

E: NVM. It was "The Violent Years" I was confused. I'm old.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TerminalSaint posted:

There's a distressing lack of Pumaman here.

To be fair is it that Halloween-y? Maybe, he does wear a costume.

Do people not like Bloodwaters of Dr Z? I enjoy it but I think I'm in the minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Bloodwaters of Dr. Z, Devilfish, and Night of the Blood Beast are all great episodes that I have a hard time watching. I'm never in the mood for them.

Ha. Night of the BloodBeast might be my favorite MST3k.

I don't think I've seen Devilfish but this seem like I should.

E: Oh, I have seen it but probably not since it aired. I'll check it out again.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 20, 2016