Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Bruceski posted:

I don't think anyone who's heard about even a fraction of the behind-the-scenes sausage is going to really judge when most people make bad movies. People working with a budget of pocket change and donuts stolen from the boardroom aren't going to make Indiana Jones.

Well that's pretty much what The Final Sacrifice tried to do :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

DivisionPost posted:

You know, I was wondering why Rifftrax felt so different from MST3K and I think you nailed it. I love RiffTrax all the same, but gently caress if it doesn't feel stiff at times.

In RT's defense, there were a couple of movies they did that capture that playful, off the cuff feel of original MST3K riffs; Fun in Balloonland comes to mind immediately. Once they hit the parade there's a feeling that they're just as much a part of the ride as we are.

The live shows also are pretty close to the tone of MST3K. In particular Bill original "Well-drat it, is corn grass or not?!?" from the Reefer Madness show is right up there with any Tom Servo freakout.

EDIT:

Chokes McGee posted:

It's gonna be weird not having Trace and Kevin as the voices. I can get my Bill/Kevin fix from Rifftrax but hearing other voices coming out of the bots' mouths is gonna be weird the first few episodes.

I recommend watching Black Scorpion or Robot Holocaust. They're probably the most watchable of the Season I episodes.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Someone made a promise to make a RPG module for each million raised for the kickstarter, up to 7. At GenCon I got to play the first module he completed, a 5th Edition D&D adventure based on "Manos". His next project is writing a "Manos" episode for Call of Cathulhu.

I forgot one of the other ones he's writing, but the other four he's creating are Beginning of the End modules for D&D and Savage Worlds, Touch of Satan for D&D (now called "Touch of Lolth") and a dungeon crawl for Space Mutiny.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mokinokaro posted:

Most of Corman's films are like that. They're not really "great" but the amount of heart he and his actors put into his films really elevates them.

I think the strangest Corman film they riffed was Night of the Bloodbeast, because almost to the end it seems to be a neat twist on the Alien Interloper movie, and then "wait, the studio says we need to kill the alien. Okay, bombs away!"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

After buying the book, I saw a link to Jackie Neyman Jones' "Manos" memoir, and the forward by Joel Hodgson is in the sneak peak section. It's a pretty interesting behind-the-scenes description of how films were vetted and selected.

Here's the link

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Frank wrote a book about some of the movies of MST3K.

I got this and thought it was good, but Frank will veer off the topic of the movie he started with. I don't mind it, but it's something to be aware of.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I finished Frank's book today. Was not expecting the abrupt ending. I was hoping for an epilogue of some kind.

I was not aware of the extent of his substance abuse problems. Yowch!

I thought it was odd he didn't conclude with Samson versus the Vampire Women, being the final episode he was involved with (beside Soultaker)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The one episode I hate watching is Castle of Fu Manchu. Besides just being unpleasant to watch visually, Christopher Lee in Yellow Face is not how I want to remember the man.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm assuming somebody has already printed out a new "I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE" for the new guy, right?

Guy's gonna receive 500 identical banners

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Holy poo poo, if they're doing Wizards this is going to be The Best Thing Ever :swoon:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there a date for the first new episode?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Speaking of which, any chance that one of the new movies is set in Chicago, and we get an updated version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iqLhdInGrk

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 3, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

When I was young, it was Pod People.

For a while I dropped paying attention to the show. Then sometime around 2008 I was browsing TvTropes (this is way before I found out all the :stonk: stuff about it) and saw a link to something called "Manos". And with that click I was back in the gang.

Page Snype: My favorite Episode 1 sketch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NacFWgA--kA&t=5662s

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 4, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You're supposed to put that on your official backer certificate. Over the Gizmonics seal that's already there I presume.

I was? I just put it on my computer.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

They were pretty upset about Christopher Lee being put in yellow-face in Castle of Fu Manchu, but then so did everything in that film.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

BigRed0427 posted:

Stright up, that movie has no plot. It's a strong contender for today be of the worst things they want Chex, behind Manos and Monster A Go Go.

Like I can see what the plot was trying to be, but none of it adds up. Okay, Fu Manchu's plan is to come up with a way to freeze all the water in the world and hold the world for ransom, but we see at the beginning he already has this capability so what's the point of kidnapping a scientist, and I have no clue as to what the whole tangent on opium trafficking served? And what was the point of blowing up a dam? And how did the agent stop Fu Manchu, because it shows the ice-change start to happen and then-nothing?

Just, ugh! And the visuals are some of the ugliest I've ever seen

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Artsygrrl posted:

The Painted Hills was their most depressing, if Rocket Attack USA and Fu Manchu are duking it out for worst.

I'd give "Most Depressing" award to Red Zone Cuba. It's a film made by manic depressives, for manic depressives. ":geno: Bay of Pigs."

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Oh cripes, Viking Women. The film is just unnecessarily mean to the actresses without any satisfying payoff. And while everyone remembers the prince (aka ":cry: I'M A GRIMWALD WARRIOR! :cry:"), it's the lead Viking guy that sticks in my mind as having the most :geno:, emotionless and sleep-inducing performance of the films MSt3k riffed. Even Tony loving Cardoza sounds upset a couple of times.

EDIT: Really, the only thing worth watching is the Wally the Waffle sketch.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Maelstache posted:

I still think Monster A Go-Go is the worst. The whole thing is such a slog of dreary, grey emptiness. That last half hour of NOTHING happening followed by the worst cop-out in film history is just agonising. It's like being kicked in the teeth after two hours of painful dental surgery.

Monster A Go-Go is probably my goto for a background noise episode, when I just need something playing. It also has some great lines, both riffing and in sketches. My favorite:

Narrator: :geno: "THERE IS ONE WORD IN NUCLEAR PHYSICS MORE FEARED THAN ANY OTHER,"

Joel: :v: "Oops!"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Ape of Naples posted:

That really was a quintessential MST3k moment. To be fair though, I'm assuming that that was just a place holder and everyone thought that a real phone ring would be dubbed over it. Either they didn't notice in editing or more likely just didn't care to fix it by that point.

The weirdest part is that all the other times they have a phone ring it's the loudest loving thing. They even use the sound after the production switch (when the dead doctor comes back as his brother).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Time Dissolver posted:

What's the tune Crow and Tom sing during Monster a Go Go? "Hum, didee-dee... Hooah-hooah"

I'm curious about this too, as I've heard it in other episodes.

PAGE SIGN EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBeKaR-IOrA

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Final Sacrifice somewhat spoiled what should have been a poignant cut-scene in FFXIV: Heavansward when an NPC reacted after being shot at from behind and all I could think in my head was "YOU SHOT ME IN THE BUTT! WHAT THE HELL?"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My favorite "moral panic" film is Racket Girls It's got the psychologist from Glen or Glenda as the most passive mobster in history, and the extended wrestling scenes has me wishing for Jim Ross, Bobby Heenan-hell, I'd loving take Tony Schaivone!-to give a play-by-play. The lack of music until the last scene is bafflingly hilarious. Also the last host segment with Mike, Tom & Crow in wrestling garb and nicknames was incredible.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The one host segment I need a post-mortem for is "Joey the Lemur". It's so terrible that I can't take my eyes away from it. I need to know what they were thinking when they wrote it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Artsygrrl posted:

A long form ad for a crappy jet, erotic refueling, and a LADY who KNOWS ABOUT CORN. :haw:

That dumb phone gag

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My favorite "surprisingly likable character" has to be Mickey from Prince of Space. Granted that is owed entirely to the vocalization decision to give him a New Jersey Little Rascals accent, but he is probably the only child actor the cast seemed to like when the role was otherwise occupied by annoying shits.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Compendium posted:

Soul Takers is a pretty good watch too in my opinion.

Soul Taker is my "I can't watch this" film, just because I always :stonk: thinking about the fact that the woman getting leered at by Joe Estevez wrote the script

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Hobgoblin's director wasn't too fond of the way they called him out directly during the credits.

Of course he sent them a copy for the explicit purpose of reviving his over-sexed gremlins knock-off, so I don't feel the slightest sympathy for him.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 29, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Oh, the pew may min! Or do you mean the Pew-maman?

That's Hoo-man! Oh wait...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Natalie from Werewolf has the same accent as Tommy Wiseau. I think she's secretly his cousin.

:monocle:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I am more psyched than I was for ep VII.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Loved the episode

New Gypsy voice was the most jarring, probably because I wasn't expecting it. I hope she's still a Richard Baseheart fan :)

The Movie Sign transition needed more shakey cam. Otherwise it fits right in with the show I remembered.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I loved the new episodes, and hope they get more seasons.

The only hiccup was while watching The Land Time Forgot because I thought that it was set during WW2, which left me feeling uncomfortable when it was going morally ambiguous with the two sides on the Submarine (but now that I know that it's WW1, I'm alright with it)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

precision posted:

It's me, I'm the one who sometimes rewatches episode based on how good the host segments are.

The Pina Colata rant is the main draw of Monster a Go-Go

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lord Hydronium posted:

One thing I do kinda miss, watching some older episodes, is the little non-joke reactions. Like giving off a little "What?" at a confusing shot, or singing a weird music cue (not making up lyrics, just repeating it), or the occasional incredulous laugh. They felt like genuine reactions, which nicely complemented the scripted riffs. (There's one moment I like, though I can't recall the episode, where Mike starts laughing so hard at something in the movie that it spills over into his actual riff.)

Although it was scripted, one moment I did particularly like along similar lines was Jonah's comment about them using actual fire in The Land That Time Forgot. It felt like a real observation someone in the writers' room had, not trying to be funny, just reacting to the movie.

Oh totally, the best part of the luchador reveal in Samson vs the Vampire Women was Mike and the bots bursting into laughter.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Super-hyped about the new season. I hope they have a wider variety of movies next seasons (including B&W films and shorts).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hogama posted:

He gets startled by Puma (Yo-Yo Ma?) screeching while he's trying to loot a ring off a corpse for his frat initiation, turns to flee, gets his coat caught on the corpse's hand, and then basically has a fatal freakout. Heart attack or something, probably.

The oddest thing about re-watching Ring of Terror is that the way the old guy at the beginning says "Puma? PUUMAA?" gets riffed on through the rest of season 2 and into season 3, and then it gets forgotten. Fast forward to season 9 and we get a new puma joke courtesy of Donald Pleasence. So in my mind I know the two riffs are unrelated, but whenever I hear them do the "Puma? PUUMAA?" joke in the old episodes I keep waiting for someone else to quip ":v: don't you mean Py-u-ma?"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ingmar terdman posted:

is wrestling superstar Virgil right outside of frame

"Should I put on my wrestling costume?"

EDIT: Man I need to re-watch that episode. The El Santo entry is one of the best moments of the series.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you had to categorize the movies riffed on MST3K on why they're so bad, how would break them down?

Even Manos had a basic plot: family goes on vacation, takes a wrong turn, and ends up in a nightmarish situation. The obvious flaws being bad writing, acting, directing, cinematography, etc.

Whew that's a pretty loaded question:

-Ambition outreaching skill and/or budget. Manos falls into this category. Also Robot Monster, Future War, Final Sacrifice and a whole slew of others.
-Obvious knockoff, usually by an Italian director. This would include Pumaman, Cave Dwellers, Danger Death Ray!, and Warrior of the Lost World.
-Fifties screen filler. Back when movies were almost the sole entertainment venue and theaters could only show movies from certain studios, a filmaker didn't have to be "good" to turn a profit. This is how Bert I Gordon and Robert Lippert made so many films
-Cultural confusion: Films made in Japan, Mexico, or Russia and then imported to the States with a shakey translation guide. These usually make good episodes because they can be well made from a technical standpoint but still come off as really weird (the Russo-Finish co-productions stand out in this regard)

That's far from a comprehensive list, but it's what I can think of off the top of my head.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Keromaru5 posted:

Don't forget the "failed TV pilot" category. Or, in an overlap with the "foreign film undone by translation," there's "Sandy Frank stuffs a whole Japanese TV series into two hours."

Failed TV pilots, TV series abridged into movies, and separate films stitched together to make one (like Monster a-Go-Go and Merlin's Shop) can probably be merged into one mega category I'd call "Frankenstein's Movie.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

And then there's the Castle of Fu Manchu, which I can only assume is weaponized film.

Oh sure there are probably a couple of movies that just defy classification. I'd put the Hamlet movie they did in that camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

muscles like this! posted:

Something I think would have really helped make The Final Sacrifice a much better movie would be de-aging Troy. As is he comes off as way too much of a dweeb who can't get anything done, which would have been fine if the character was like 12 and not 17-19 like he appears to be in the actual movie.

I actually have a soft spot for Troy. I mean he's very awkwardly going through puberty, but that's not his fault. On the other hand I never once thought he was a gigantic lode.

One of the issues with Final Sacrifice besides the budget is the transition between the film's second and third act is totally nonsensical. The rest of the story is competently written, but then we go from "the cult is hunting Troy and Rowsdower for the map specifically so they can find the ritual site" to "oh the cult knows where to have the ritual, better go stop them".