Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I hadn't watched Danger: Death Ray before and I am loving delighted right now.

"Can you turn the radio down? I'm just really sick of this song."

It really is one of my favorites.

This movie should have been called Danger! Wall-mounted machine guns!

Plus Cambot gets a rare featured role in a host segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Hired! The Musical!

Most of my favorite Invention Exchanges are Mad-centric: the Tough Loveseat, Johnny Longtorso, and of course, Deep Hurting.

Tom's Death Ray never gets old. "I gotta admit, it is pretty funny..."

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

Hell, it ended up being a model for the modern video game industry.

Not quite evil enough. They'd need to sell Johnny's pieces in closed boxes where you end up with twenty left legs for every head. And then they'd need to have a way to reseize the figure when they discontinue the toy line and replace it with Longtorso 2.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Burkion posted:

Not an option with all MST3K episodes

Won't be an option for some of them likely ever.

MST3K is the one show that has always supported Keep Circulating The Tapes for a reason. I will absolutely track down an episode legally if I can but if I can't, I'll just find it any other way.

None of the unavailable episodes were on Netflix to begin with. Pumaman is on XXIX, four episodes, available for under $30, so it's a bit premature to suggest one needs to be Circulating this particular Tape.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Ms Boods posted:

I've been on holiday for the past couple of days, away from exam-marking madness, and so of course after the first day I ended up with a stinking cold (:mad: tinned Eurostar air :mad:)

So what i'm saying is, if you have to spend an evening in Paris tucked up miserable in bed nursing a cold and need some MST3K brain candy comfort, 'Final Sacrifice' should be on the menu. :france: (well, of course, :canada: but it's as close as I could get!)

I must have seen this one 30x and it still never fails to make me laugh (ditto Clonus, which I watched last night).

Paris: The Clonus Horror?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reince Penis posted:

I'm not sure how tight we are on season 12 spoilers here but Frank was away from his radio show for a week and posted a pic of him and Patton during that time so guess who's probably making a cameo!

:) This excites me greatly.

Based on this spoiler, it now occurs to me that TV's Frank could also be called TV's Father of TV's Son of TV's Frank.

Not that I'm claiming it as a good idea.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Senior Woodchuck posted:

E: And the nightclub scene, although does that really count as music? Or dancing?

I believe the official classification is "emetic."

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dixville posted:

I also like how he insists they "stole their shtick" from Zacherly who was a horror host who would occasionally comment on the movie by switching the video to him while the movie soundtrack continued. Yeah that's totally the exact same thing!

He also doesn't get Zacherley's name right: it's not Don but John, and either Zacherle or Zacherley. And it's Cassandra Peterson, not Casandra.

Clearly demonstrating the same keen attention to detail that made his film what is it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Had to explain the reason the guys will shout "NEW YORK CITY!?" whenever the name comes up because commercials for salsa have passed from living memory. I will diminish and go into the West.

Yesterday, Pace. Tomorrow, pacemakers.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

The Brain LIVE has my new favorite recurring riff

BANG

I will also never look at stairs the same way again.

(Also the riff spoiled above has appeared in S11.)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Did you die of fright and get your free coffin!?

Also the sketch with Mike and Crow as the Skull and he's just monotone screaming... oh, that is beyond a delight.

"Rawrr."

My pleasure at the gag with the golf club selecting cannot be overstated.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The Undead makes me so happy. Dumb doctor guy travels back in time to bring woman he sent back into the present day, and then in the debate scene is one of the characters to shout STAAAY!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

luxury handset posted:

in the short setting up a room, kevin just lets out a good five second scream at the top of his lungs and it is one of my favorite riffs ever

I have just watched Setting up a Room. The scream is nowhere near five seconds. Also, once I regain the ability to relate to other human beings, expect to hear from my lawyer about causing me to watch Setting up a Room.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Why is Gypsy delivering them to the theater in what looks like a shopping bag every episode, just for them to wander off?

That is the payload. It appears to be connected to whatever is added to the films before they are placed in the storage unit. In The Return, Gypsy dropped off and collected it without help. In the Gauntlet, M.Waverly and Growler appear to be assisting and/or pointlessly hanging around during delivery and collection.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Clouseau posted:

The Undead is a solid episode. That teaser with Mike going through some kind of work PTSD is a favorite.

Don't forget Crow: "I'M AN IMP!"

Bridget has a memorable appearance; Kevin has a singing tour-de-force with the collected songs of Digger Smolken; the climax is hilarous even without the riffing, which is great. One of my favorites from the Sci-Fi Channel era.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

This reads like an activation phrase.

It reads like a money laundering scheme. Just the kind of thing you'd expect a shady chartered public accountant to be a part of!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

I think that one is Hercules Unchained.

"I'm so sleepy I can barely keep my eyes open."

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Burkion posted:

Looks like the shoe's on the other foot now

Kevin really put his foot in his mouth, and now he's scrambling to toe the line. It'll probably be bootless, though.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'll be the voice of slight dissention, and say that the Netflix seasons just... didn't work all that well for me. I dunno if it was the choice of movies, or the host segments, or something else, but none of it really gelled with me. Like I can watch the majority of the Comedy Central and Sci-fi Channel eras over and over again. The Netflix stuff... I generally watched once and had no real desire to revisit again. It was kind of the same with Cinematic Titanic, too; whereas there are numerous Rifftrax I can happily rewatch (especially during the holiday season).

Maybe the common denominator here is Mike Nelson's involvement, or lack thereof? I never really considered that until just now.

I think it was a process problem. The old show had a weekly pattern of watching movies, writing riffs, recording. The performers were also the writers and worked full-time on the show. The production cycle for the Netflix series didn’t operate that way, and without the circumstances imposing time management on Joel and ensuring the cast were all on the same page, performance had to make up the difference. If Rifftrax kept writing riffs but hired famous actors to come in and deliver them, it would lose something of the same thing, I think. The live show had a better energy, I thought, in part because of how the routine of performing created something between the cast.

As a related issue, by season 2 of the original MST3K most of these people had been working together for years. New series, in terms of recording days especially, might be up to weeks now unless you count the live tours.

Honestly, I think they either need to slip back into a disciplined weekly production pattern (with a new and much less famous cast) or they need to push the improv angle and make things feel less slick and rehearsed, even if they're still delivering from a script. And I think in that case they need the energy of an audience. Watch the live reading of the MST comic and you'll hear an energy that’s not quite there in the Netflix episodes.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

The same can be said about the revival. A lot of the jokes just keep on going and going.

And yelling them doesn't make them funnier.

Whispering CAPSULE! doesn’t seem like it would be as funny.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
“CAPSULE!”

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Another Bill posted:

3) Alien turns around with gun in hand

CROW: Do you feel lucky, punk?

4) Cops open fire, building explodes.

CROW: Well, did ya? Be honest, now.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Rocket Attack USA is notable for the fact that it clearly had ZERO budget.

That's what happens when you refuse to finance your film with all the money you could receive thanks to RADAR!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
My question: at what point does it become acceptable to no longer be ready for some football?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Bob Johnson!

Wait...

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

On the other hand, a good 60% of the old Poopie Tape blooper reel was Frank cracking up about something and ruining a take.

"I don't fink on soul brothers."

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Talk about a movie where the "BANG!" riff works at almost any point.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TL posted:

Have they uploaded the Emily short yet? I was long asleep by the time they got to it.

I'm seeing the whole stream on the YouTube MST3K channel. Which presumably includes the short at the end of the thing. I thought it was good, maybe not quite as good as the original riff. Emily's good with voices, so that was an improvement.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

“Wet rear end Poopie-suit”?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Gypsy Moon is underrated.

And although it shouldn't be, Master Ninja Theme Song is remarkably catchy.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TL posted:

Possibly, but I don't think Shout really made any money off of the Kickstarter itself-they funded the show (and paid the cast and crew) but I don't think there was a ton leftover. My best guess is that any profit they made would've been from selling the show to Netflix.

The main profit would be from selling MST3k DVDs, as well as the original un-MSTed movies. If you'd never seen the show before and you liked the Gauntlet, Shout's making a profit on every episode of the original show you end up buying.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

There also seems to be some fans who feel like they weren’t transparent enough about where the money was going last time. I think those people probably greatly underestimate how much both tv shows and the physical merchandise cost to produce though.

Based on the frequent posts of a couple critics in an MST message board I peek at from time to time, I think you're spot on. A subgroup of people massively ignorant of the conditions under which TV is produced are convinced that Joel, on his own, is doing a lot of impractical artsy-fartsy stuff and insisting on higher production values instead of the bare-bones original show. Complaints about having all the extra puppeteers, for example, or not just having the three main performers with the puppets in the theater.

I also suspect that they don't understand other basic things like that the new MST3K is union, where the original cowtown show was not. But from the tone and content of their posts, somehow I don't think they'd be very open to the idea that paying people a fair amount for the work that they do is something to praise instead of condemning.

All the "Making of" features focused on crafting and pre-production and all the standard stuff that involves spending money on developing what goes onto the screen, and I expect that made these people angrier because why were they doing multiple concept drawings and models of stuff instead of just making it all? drat that Joel and his willingness to waste money; he's out of control without Jim Mallon to keep him in line.

I am wondering whether there's going to be a "live riff" option in their app that allows you to remote with friends to watch a bad movie from Shout, without the MST treatment, and riff on it yourselves. I'd rather do that in person, but as the last year has shown, that's not always possible.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

wait how the gently caress does that list pick Hamlet as the best of season 10

That should be the bottom of season 10 when 10 had boggy creek, future war, and final justice

They’re picking a sampler pack, not the best of each season.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

The problem is that bad Hamlet is ultimately just boring Hamlet.

OTOH, that Hamlet taught us all that Ricardo Montalban would have been a fantastic Claudius.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cercueil posted:

In true MST3K fashion, they would have Crow selling pennies for several thousand dollars.

"This 'You Know You Want Me, Baby!' t-shirt is unique!"

"We can see the boxes of t-shirts behind you, Crow."

"Ah, but every t-shirt comes with this unique blockchain identification number."

"Blockchain? Really? I'll take twelve!"

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

This would indicate that when the episodes can be purchased they'll be at least 9 bucks a pop. That's right around Rifftrax pricing so that's ok I think.

That said, everything about the Gizmoplex sounds like he's just throwing poo poo out there to get pledges. Who knows was the final product will be. That whole long post above just sounds more and more confusing.

I don’t know what’s so confusing about any of this:
1. If you wanted to watch the show on Netflix, you had to subscribe to Netflix. Alternately, you could purchase the discs, or get digital downloads of the episodes as part of the original Kickstarter.

2. Amazon sells individual movies or seasons, which you can stream off their platform without subscribing to Amazon Prime. If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, you can stream some of these for free.

3. Gizmoplex will be a Vimeo-based platform, with monthly live events a la the Mads streaming events every month. If they produce 12 new episodes, they’ll be released once per month as a live event, which will also be recorded.
3a. If you want to own an episode, you can purchase each one a la model 2 above, and stream it through Gizmoplex. Kickstarter backers can also purchase the whole season on disc; presumably a non-Kickstarter disc set will be released at some point, though not until all twelve episodes have premiered on Gizmoplex. You can also purchase a ticket to a live streaming event.
3b. If you subscribe to Gizmoplex, you can stream all the movies whenever you want after they are released like model 1 above. When your subscription lapses, you lose access. You could in theory subscribe a year after the episodes start getting released and binge all twelve. If you want to watch with friends on their computers, they need subscriptions or can buy a .99 cent pass.

The only unclear bit is how long the recorded live events will remain available. It sounds as if they may be available only during the initial month they occur, and will then be pulled from the service, meaning that the live events provide the incentive to stay subscribed instead of signing up for a single month. It’s also unclear whether buying a ticket to a live event gets you permanent access, or just for the month it stays up.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

fsif posted:

Right, this is the bit where things get confusing. Based on my read on the Joel update I don't think you have this right.

The line I quoted earlier strongly suggests/outright states that the new episodes are not going to be accessible indefinitely via just a Gizmoplex subscription. If you haven't outright purchased the eps, you'll be limited to viewing just the most recently released episode.

I thought the same on first reading, but that is inconsistent with everything else that has been said and can easily be understood as an error in diction. I am 100% confident in my interpretation of what was meant, even if you are correct about the wording of that one specific communication.

Some useful additional information from the FAQ ("What if I can't be online for a live event? Can I still see it?"):
"After each new episode has its "live premiere," both the episode and a recording of the full live premiere event will be available to watch "on demand" in The Gizmoplex for at LEAST the following 30 days.

So, if you can't make it to one of our live events, you will be able to watch (or rewatch) everything you missed for at least a month! You just won't be able to join the live chat, or participate in any of the interactive parts of the event, because, you know... they'll already be finished."

In other words, this statement is in response to questions about viewing the live event after it is over. Because it repeats the e-mail message, the "both the episode and a recording" phrasing, it initially seems to support your reading, but the clarification says that if you miss a live event, you can rewatch for "at least a month."

Releasing the new episodes one a month and then pulling them from the service along with the recording of the live premiere event would be not just counterintuitive but completely undermine the point of the streaming platform. Pulling the live events, OTOH, makes them ephemeral and grants a constant subscription to the service some sort of definable value, although I suspect some people will maintain a subscription just to support MST3K.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Four, if you count KTMA. They didn't cancel MST, but they did go bankrupt at the end of the season, which would have amounted to the same thing had there not been a brand-new cable channel looking for shows right then.

Throw in how MST3K: The Movie was released, too, although I suppose that doesn't count as "TV" strictly speaking. Although I guess if they'd shifted to producing movies, we'd have ended up with a lot less MST3K to love.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

The thing I always find weird is that you never get like some rich guy who's a huge nerd dropping like a million dollar pledge on these things, like there's at least a dozen Saudi princes who spend fortunes on furry stuff, you'd think there would be at least one who likes this silly puppet show

I don't recall the numbers, but there were some last minute pledge cancellations in the first Kickstarter that meant they went backwards a substantial amount (definitely thousands, possibly tens of thousands), and the rumor was that one person upped their pledge for the full amount (probably Jerry Seinfeld, who is friends with Joel and has plenty of money). But that was a rumor and I'm unsure if it was ever verified.

If you have a lot of money and want to invest in something like MST3K, your people call Joel's people and work out a deal. You'd be a fool to go through Kickstarter instead, because there'd be no terms, you'd see no return on your investment beyond the episodes, plus Kickstarter woul take a big cut of the total.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

The question was on a different topic, but Joel gave a quote to AV Club last week that I think puts the stuff about Trace/Frank/etc. into more context:

It reads to me like Joel thinks of the show as greater than the sum of its parts, and that reviving it shouldn't be the same as NBC bringing back Will & Grace where it's more of the same but everyone's 15 years older and they mention Tinder sometimes.

Well, keep in mind too that Joel owns the concept of MST3K, so he profits personally if the brand continues with an all-new cast. None of the other original performers profit directly from that; they may now profit indirectly a little, but if I were them I would notice how liberally Joel is giving away free copies of old episodes in order to raise money to make the new ones.

My impression was that Trace and Mike didn't get along wonderfully, and after Joel's departure MST was getting reshaped along Mike and Jim Mallon lines (and nobody seems to have much liked Jim Mallon by the end of everything). Trace seems like the movie, in particular, put him off the show permanently, and he was happy to see the back of it after the cancellation.

He did return for Cinematic Titanic, but my impression is that he always got along best with Frank and that CT may have been more about working with Frank again than anyone else. Now that he and Frank are working together a fair amount, why would he want to be involved with Joel's show, especially when he probably gets paid scale to appear in one episode and Joel makes bank off of it? Just not worth the hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Why would Mike and Trace have a thing?

"Didn't get along wonderfully" isn't "hated each other." Some people work together fine, while others have immediate friend chemistry. Trace and Frank were a unit, and Mike/Kevin/Bill were a unit. My sense is that Mike and Trace got along OK, but Trace got on better with Frank.

I also think that when Joel left, the way the show was handled shifted a bit, as did the humor. You can see another shift after Frank leaves that continues with Trace's departure.

But the main reason Trace left was burnout after the movie. I suggest listening to Jonah's podcast about the movie; you get a pretty good sense of how hard Trace worked, in particular, and how frustrating the experience was. Keep in mind that as Crow and Dr. F, Trace was pretty much involved in every single scene of the show, while everyone else got to take a break at some point or another.