Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
ROBOT RUMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
New old episodes on Netflix

Time of the apes
Fugitive alien
The robot vs the Aztec mummy
Devil fish
First spaceship on Venus
Gorgo
Racket girls
The girl in lover's lane
The touch of satan
City limits
Beginning of the end
The girl in gold boots

They also kept

Manos
Catalina caper
Eegah
Hercules against the moon men
Space mutiny
Future war
Horrors of spider island
Jack Frost

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Oh no, angel dust!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Bicyclops posted:

If Stephen King has any kind of ownership of Maximum Overdrive, I feel like a few kind letters would probably give them access to it. He probably doesn't, though, and Joel has specifically wanted to avoid movies as infamous as that. Like, I love riffing on Tremors, but it wouldn't be in my top choices for MST3K, because anyone who watches the show probably knows about it. Plan 9 from Outer Space doesn't need the bots, basically.

The Rifftrax of plan 9 is actually pretty good though.

"Let's go eat donuts off my gun!"

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
"She's got an armadillo down er trousers!"

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Mantis42 posted:

I didn't even know Joel existed for years because I was too young to have seen the show before the Sci Fi era. Even to this day the list of episodes I've seen skew heavily towards the Mike years.

Brain Guy is good.

Me too! I even watched old episodes on YouTube in high school and somehow they were all Mike ones. The only Joel episodes I knew were the ones I had on DVD which were Manos and Santa Claus conquers the Martians. Then I started hearing about the show possibly coming back a couple years ago and started looking it up and realized I was totally unaware of like 2/3rd of the show.

I'm kinda ashamed to admit it but in high school I would skip or tune out for almost 100% of the host segments because I just wanted to watch the movie and riffs. In my defense I had undiagnosed ADHD at the time.

For what it's worth, I recently showed a guy I had been dating Teenagers from Outer Space followed by Starcrash and he strongly preferred Starcrash and said the new ones seemed better to him partly because the references were more recent. He was vaguely aware of the show before this but had just seen it in passing.

So people who don't have the nostalgia aspect may actually prefer the new episodes. Obviously it's n of 1 so I didn't do a loving research study or anything lol. Also there are better old episodes I probably could have shown. But I found it interesting.

I love all the hosts. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Light Gun Man posted:

Mike vs Joel stuff is dumb because Mike was always a major writer for the show so good chance your favorite Joel joke was written by Mike or whatever. Also probably most of the music too?

I like Mike the best but will gladly watch any season. I do hope 12 improves some things, though.

I always get a kick out of seeing Mike play random bit parts during the Joel era. Like when he was Glen from war of the colossal beast or that guy that sang the gamera song in some kinda lounge singer style.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I feel like I remember this coming up on his WTF interview w Marc Maron and possibly he said he tried it at some point but wasn't really into it but I wasn't paying that much attention when I listened so I may be wrong.

Edit I do remember Jonah talking about smoking opium though lol

Dixville fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 17, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Well I still couldn't quite make it through the WTF podcast (though the beginning is pretty interesting) but I found this interview

http://www.laweekly.com/film/joel-hodgson-mst3k-isnt-about-ridicule-its-a-variety-show-built-on-the-back-of-a-movie-6363219

Joel posted:

I have smoked pot in life, and I admit it. But I didn't while making Mystery Science Theater.

Not implying that everyone on the staff was a teetotaler or anything but he really is just a sleepy eyed dude apparently!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Flag on the moon. How did it get there?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Sanzuo posted:

I Accuse My Parents has to be at least a top 10 episode for me. God this is just fuckin funny the whole way through.

I really like that one too and someone said they didn't like it a while ago and I was trying to think of some good quotes to defend it. It's a great episode but I think it's hard to make a lot of the riffs funny without the context. Like the Edward G Robinson style gangster impressions, the duck noises when people go in and out of the apartment, the constant stupidity of Jimmy... and the goofy hat singer. "Showed us the kiss way to the promised land" ;-*

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I don't remember anybody mentioning this yet but there's gonna be a Rifftrax Live June 14th with rebroadcast June 19th

https://youtu.be/om4bmMWJKuA

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Yeah I never really got Hamlet. I like the Hercules movies though. "Today is dedicated to Uranus." "Well thank you, I'm flatter- huh?" And who can forget DEEP HURTING?

I don't know why I like Quest of the Delta Knights but I totally do. Maybe it's the 90s Johnathan Taylor Thomas vibe. Plus Pearl takes Mike's place in the theater and it's hilarious.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Rowsdower In Peace :rip:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

WELL YA MIIIGHT AS WELL BE DRINKING ON THE SUN *jaunty keyboard bit played at dirge speed*

It... Actually kinda works???

https://youtu.be/xkdMMXrW7y4

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I want to say they made it a new rule with the latest season to not talk over dialogue. Which is part of why the riffs felt more rushed which annoyed some people apparently...

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

precision posted:

Teenage Strangler has got to be one of the most baffling films they ever riffed

Crap now I have that song stuck in my head

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Shamelessly stealing this from the Rowsdower memorial thread in GBS

https://futuredami.deviantart.com/gallery/30658167/Msties

Edit speaking of Teenage Strangler

https://futuredami.deviantart.com/art/Mikey-514-244906100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTJq4LHes6Q

I love Mikey

Dixville fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 10, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Lol I forgot about that sketch and I wasn't sure why but then crow started that screeching noise and I remembered that it freaks my dog out and makes him bark so I can't watch that one. This time it was on my phone so he just growled at it.
This also applies to anything where dogs bark so I have to skip that part in Red Zone Cuba. And Manos.
My dog is training me basically

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Maxwell Lord posted:

"... and have concluded that the boilers have not moved in some time."

There were so many parts where all I could think of was the original MST riffs and it somehow made it even better just remembering them
"Finally Christmas comes to Santa"

I hate to say it but most of the Ryder nicknames were pretty disappointing for me

I loved the Corona borealis located entirely in Skinner's kitchen riff but not many people seemed to laugh at that one, not sure if people didn't get it or if it's too played out? :shrug:

Overall it was a good time. That was the first live one I've seen. There really is something about seeing these movies on the big screen that makes them even more ridiculous somehow.

I really wanna go to the MST3K live show but the closest to me is LA and it's like an hour and a half drive, and it's a Tuesday night and I gotta be at work the next day at 8 AM. Maybe I could take the next day off.
Unfortunately I actually really need to find a new job and most likely relocate because I'm super miserable so who even knows where I'll be in November. But I wanna go so bad. :sigh:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

rydiafan posted:

Use this as motivation to finally actively hunt for a new job.

True but if I move further away I might not be able to go at all. I guess I can always buy the ticket and just sell it if I can't go.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Reince Penis posted:

It was the third of September/
That day I'll always remember...

Most people think Shaft but to me it will always be Mitchell.

Or Boggy Creek 2: and the legend continues

No woman should have to see the little creature!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Reince Penis posted:

Counterpoint: Everytime Jonah says "They need my help!" and gets a really determined look on his face, I loving lose it.

I never noticed how hilarious this look was before but now I will do the same

Dixville fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 27, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Another Bill posted:

Just to make sure we're getting a full bell curve of opinions, I really enjoyed s11 and think it's as good as any season between 2-10. Except the Christmas movie, I can never sit through those and find them incredibly boring.

Santa Claus is the best one though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI88eDq6o-Y

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. No one's told me to kill myself or wished some very unpleasant and possibly biologically impossible things upon my mother, because I said 'I think Mike's funny and hasn't he been head writer all this time?'

My big 'I can't get through this movie' is Wild World of Batwoman. I have fallen asleep every time I've watched it.

Bat Woman is a tough one. But this scene cracks me up every time. It's just so unbelievably stupid in every possible way and something about the timing just kills me.

"Please, God, cut away to anything please!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x38AM_SxIz0

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Gaz-L posted:

The sheer venom with which Kevin/Servo screams "ENNNNNNND!" at the ending kind of implies to me that the crew feel the same way.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

This gag always kills me. Somehow my favorite episodes are always the most miserable movies.

Yessss I also busted out laughing the first time I heard that!

The batdancing did get a liiittle drawn out there you have to admit

Also that one that's like the "stock footage song" which is just "budutdadutdada EAT IT MOVIE"

Edit hey youtube has that one too, sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcL3EIqIOdY

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

World Famous W posted:

How many films can you remember seeing before watching the riffed version? A gas station when I was a child had a vhs rental section and had Merlin's Shop for some reason. I watched that any times before ever seeing the episode.

I'm pretty sure I saw Squirm on tv at some point in the 90s. I can't be totally sure since it was just a random syndicated movie on tv some weekend afternoon when I was a kid but I feel pretty sure. I was curious to see if it actually was syndicated like that and I found this that seems to confirm it was pretty widely sold into syndication.

http://www.thterrortime.com/movies/horror/necromantic-cinematheque-4-squirm/

Also apparently the director was a whiny jerk about it being on MST3K. Well while I was looking for the info on syndication, I saw that on IMDB it says the scene where the tree falls into the house was completely real, the actors were actually running from a tree dropped from a crane that landed feet away from them. Honestly that's pretty loving stupid to put the actors at risk like that so he seems like kind of an rear end to begin with. I also found out the screeching sounds from the worms in that movie are actually sped up recordings of hogs screaming in a slaughter house. That's pretty disturbing but it is a horror movie I suppose!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I also like how he insists they "stole their shtick" from Zacherly who was a horror host who would occasionally comment on the movie by switching the video to him while the movie soundtrack continued. Yeah that's totally the exact same thing!

Also he goes back and forth between saying the movie was well respected on the same level as Rocky, and "I made it as a goof!"

I'm glad it pissed him off that his movie was used on MST3K, I think that actually adds to the appeal of it at this point.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Doltos posted:

Yep tried getting through Carnival Magic last night and couldn't. I can't stand chimpanzee movies for some reason

You monster :argh:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Egbert Souse posted:

Mind Over Matters is great if just for his essay on lawn blowers.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'll still stick to Diabolik being the one truly great film MST3K did. Not that it's a bad episode (it's one of the best), but I wish it were better known. It's a real blast, just like the rest of Mario Bava's filmography.

I swear to god 90% of the time I see someone using a leafblower they're blowing one leaf around for like 10 minutes. Just get a loving broom to get the rest! It actually would take you less time and effort! The noise drives me nuts not to mention the wastefulness. Luckily my white noise machine helps me ignore it enough to stay (mostly) sane.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

TL posted:

MR. BEARDSLEY!!!

This is the story... Of a man named Jed

JEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Sacka monkeys in ma pocket

My sister's ready to go

Idiot control now

Edit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UH_Tr6SgGo

Dixville fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 20, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Look out, walnut stampede!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Gumby short is one of my first solid memories of warching mst3k, a lot of it kind of blended together in my memory as the thing we'd watch every Saturday morning on our super limited satellite TV channels but that one I warched at my grandma's house. had to try not to crack up too much lest grandma make me turn off the show about gumbys genitals. ROBOT RUMP? Aww I thought it was gonna be about robot rump

Also Turkey Day pre marathon today! They are showing some behind the scenes documentary stuff right now and it's pretty fascinating. Some super old photos from the original Joel episode that are really neat to see. Like they showed the setup for the original countdown sequence.

Edit wtf warch? I'm leaving it in because it sounds like redneck speak. Y'all wanna warch that show with them lil ole robots in it?

Dixville fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 18, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Landerig may actually be Joel

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I love this episode
I hope everyone is READY FOR SOME FOOTBAWL

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Lol I never noticed the Coleman Francis references before

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Proteus Jones posted:

“Tricky” made me laugh so hard the 1st time through.

Made me laugh again this time.

Same but with the Kenny Rogers roasters riff

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
They shaved Alf!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Holy crap I didn't realize in Mac and Me they actually revive the alien's dying family with Coca Cola, I knew it was infamous for product placement but I didn't know it went that far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Bruteman posted:

Stuff like this is why I thought Atlantic Rim was a good episode.

Yeah, honestly I was a little worried at the beginning of this one, making fun of a movie that isn't that earnest about their badness felt awkward but I felt like the riffs really saved it.